Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 636 637 638 ... 834 835 836
 Carbuncle.Tyleron
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Tyleron
By Carbuncle.Tyleron 2020-02-25 11:08:14
Link | Quote | Reply

How long to run Wings missions to end? I have all other expansions done but never finished WotG (I am on 2-7).
By Afania 2020-02-25 11:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Afania said: »
The "data" that you posted is 2009 though, I doubt it's still accurate in 2020.
That's a fair point, but in the absence of newer data you don't just throw out the data you do have.

Your post is all bs opinion, you can find anecdotes about bad machines from any manufacturer. Without aggregate data, they don't mean anything. This is the same as why none of us care about the random 'testing' a setup on xi and posting a ***parse or a blatantly false average ws number.

Running windows on a mac is not a significant amount of work, and anyone who believes that is clearly not technically inclined, at all. I also have not recommended mac, just mentioned that they have excellent build quality. They have better failure rates and they all around feel like premium machines.

Asus are rarely $200 more than acer for the same specs, in fact the Asus I linked was a better deal for the specs than the acer linked a page apart.

That said, I don't know why you choose to make a stand on an issue where you seem to have minimal to no knowledge that was dead for over a page. You come in late and babble personal opinion all over, but you've offered nothing in terms of actual evidence to support any of your claims.

You don't like anything chinese and you don't mind buying a new laptop in 2 yrs if you get a bum one. Great, so you buy an Acer. Nothing is stopping anyone from getting what they want, but not everyone wants to or is able to treat their tech as disposable or is scared to death that something was made in china.

Huh? People asked "what's so bad about Acer", you made a point and I simply explained why people still prefer it and your data isn't fair because it's outdated. I never try to convince people convert to Acer lol. What's up with all that reaction.

If you want to talk about math then we can. Based The "data" that you posted, Acer has 5%-8% higher 3 year failure rate than other brands. But it's often at least $200 cheaper than most other brands.

If I buy 100 $300 Acer laptops, in 3 years I'd lose $6900 because 23% of them died. If I buy 100 $500 laptop with a 15% malfunction rate, I'd lose $7500.

So you see, having slightly higher malfunction rate doesn't matter that much if the same spec is much cheaper.

And the data is 3 year malfunction rate too. Who wouldn't upgrade their laptop after 3 years. So yeah, completely irrelevant.

You can argue that Asus or "insert other brands here" is just as cheap as Acer, sure then I'd consider it. Because cheap was my entire argument to begin with. It's not that I'm emotionally attached to the name Acer lol.

Don't try to compare buying a laptop with FFXI WS discussion. One is buy and paying for something that gets outdated every 3 years, WS avg is just a math discussion in a video game.

Your argument about "technically inclined" is completely irrelevant. My tech ability isn't worse than my mom nor grandma. Laptop is a product that sells to everybody, not just a tech person. So it's perfectly reasonable if the buyer simply refuse to deal with it. I care about my time and money, not my computer skill. Why would I pay $500 bucks for a Mac just to create more headachs for myself?

Anyways can we done with this? I made one post saying Acer isn't as bad as people said why does this continue for 3 more posts?
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-02-25 12:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Who wouldn't upgrade their laptop after 3 years.
*Raises hand*
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-02-25 13:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
I still wouldn't buy one, but they can't be as bad now as they used to be.

Same, but yeah, more recent reports (some linked here) put the brand relatively in line with other mass-market PC makers. ASUS, on the other hand, seems to have dropped off significantly.

That said, most of those companies make a wide range of products, and the build quality of a $400 back to school special won't necessarily correspond to that of a $1200 business laptop or $1600 gaming one with the same logo on it. Apple tends to get good marks there because, frankly, they don't make low tier stuff.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2020-02-25 14:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Tyleron said: »
How long to run Wings missions to end? I have all other expansions done but never finished WotG (I am on 2-7).

The missions themselves aren't hard or long, due to all the fast modes of transport we have, like using a choboco in a lot of areas in the past. It what takes so long is the cutscenes, that you have to hit Enter to make them progress. If you are a Windower user, you can speed this up by using FastCS, which speeds up the cutscenes by removing the forced frame rate cap for those cutscenes. The other Addon that will help is Enternity, which automatically will send the Enter key command if it detects that it is required.
 Bismarck.Punchus
Server: Bismarck
user: Punchus
By Bismarck.Punchus 2020-02-25 15:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
Carbuncle.Tyleron said: »

The missions themselves aren't hard or long, due to all the fast modes of transport we have, like using a choboco in a lot of areas in the past. It what takes so long is the cutscenes, that you have to hit Enter to make them progress. If you are a Windower user, you can speed this up by using FastCS, which speeds up the cutscenes by removing the forced frame rate cap for those cutscenes. The other Addon that will help is Enternity, which automatically will send the Enter key command if it detects that it is required.

I literally just did this last month. 3 days of doing this off and on when i had a minute to sit down is all it took. Use both addons mentioned above and it will be a breeze.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-02-27 14:15:23
Link | Quote | Reply

What is the command to turn the glow on and off on trusts? I turned mine off so long ago that I forgot it even existed and during free-to-play some alts had it turned on still. Just curious. Thanks in advance for any help.
 Fenrir.Loynis
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Loynis 2020-02-27 14:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Should be /localsettings blureffect on/off.
[+]
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2020-03-02 15:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Can Liement be used to absorb Nimbuscleaver (AoE Cloudsplitter) with thunder runes up? From W3 boss Bastok
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-03-03 17:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone seen Idi's Ledelsens drop in Salvage recently? I'm currently at about 20 Zhayolm runs and 10 Bhaflau runs and have yet to see them drop. Getting discouraging.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2020-03-03 17:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Anyone seen Idi's Ledelsens drop in Salvage recently? I'm currently at about 20 Zhayolm runs and 10 Bhaflau runs and have yet to see them drop. Getting discouraging.
Sadly that is not that odd at all
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-03-03 18:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally dropped 4000 Alexandrite later. <.<
[+]
By Sabishii 2020-03-03 18:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bippin said: »
Can Liement be used to absorb Nimbuscleaver (AoE Cloudsplitter) with thunder runes up? From W3 boss Bastok

You'd need earth (Tellus) runes to absorb thunder damage (earth en-damage, resist to thunder). It does have a short duration/long recast though. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work though.
[+]
By huttburt<3 2020-03-03 21:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
dgvoodoo should be chosen based on whether you need the graphical enhancements of reshade, or the ability to break fullscreen

if you just want your gpu to work, you can use atomos' proxy which has no side effects.. so definitely don't pick your laptop based around needing a d3d proxy

For those that are paying attention: ^ is accurate. May also be better for those running 4-5 instances.
I've never heard of atmos proxy. Anyone have a quick guide or link? Thanks!
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-03-03 23:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

https://forums.ashitaxi.com/viewtopic.php?t=855

or this:

BG forums
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-03-03 23:28:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asus -> its just a prettier and more expensive Acer IMO.

Good thing that it's just factually wrong.
By Jetackuu 2020-03-03 23:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

recommended mac, just mentioned that they have excellent build quality.
=! lol'd at that one...
By Jetackuu 2020-03-03 23:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone seen Idi's Ledelsens drop in Salvage recently?
Define "recently?" I farmed up a pair about 1.5-2 years ago, took a good many tries, gotta just make sure you spawn your ***.
By Draylo 2020-03-03 23:37:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Upgrade every 3 years? No way, I only do that with my phones every year or so. Every laptop Ive had has lasted me more than that.
By Jetackuu 2020-03-03 23:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

A laptop's general life expectancy is 3 years, most businesses usually plan for replacement every 3 or 5. Most consumer grade laptops would be lucky if they last that long, especially if you buy bottom of the barrel garbage: like Acer.

Honestly if it weren't for the game running like total ***on intel HD graphics I'd tell people to buy used business laptops in the 15" (full keyboard) range, decent build quality, abundant parts, often not horrible to work on. Too bad the game runs like total ***on most intel chipsets (loldrivers...)

Now I've scoured around for ages, if anyone has a list of ones that work decently for XI on a intel HD chipset, please, share. (or a half decent workaround, no I'm not talking about voodoo).
[+]
By Afania 2020-03-04 02:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Asus -> its just a prettier and more expensive Acer IMO.

Good thing that it's just factually wrong.

Yup I was wrong, Asus is worse than Acer.

Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-03-04 03:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Apples dont break because ppl only open them to show other ppl they have an apple
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2020-03-04 13:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I use the FFXI DB plugin and recently all the PC/NPC little dots disappeared on the circular minimap. I havent made any change son my side. I did try
//ffxidb m npc
//ffxidb m pc

to no avail? Anyone have any ideas?
By Matic 2020-03-05 09:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Now I've scoured around for ages, if anyone has a list of ones that work decently for XI on a intel HD chipset, please, share. (or a half decent workaround, no I'm not talking about voodoo).

So based on that statement, I'm guessing that dgvoodoo isn't of any use to me if I'm using a crappy old laptop with intel HD graphics, right?

I've been meaning to get a decent laptop anyway.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-03-05 11:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Matic said: »
So based on that statement, I'm guessing that dgvoodoo isn't of any use to me if I'm using a crappy old laptop with intel HD graphics, right?

It still can be for a couple reasons:

First, because DirectX backwards compatibility can get messy when going back that far. The core purpose of dgVoodoo is to present the OS/GPU driver with the modern instructions that they're optimized to handle, rather than feeding them ancient instructions and hoping they're executing them efficiently. It's very possible, even (or especially) with Intel graphics, that things are getting run through some slow compatibility layers.

Second, because XI doesn't handle monitors getting reconfigured while it's running - having them turn off from power saving, adding/losing them, that sort of thing. dgVoodoo effectively fixes that.
By Matic 2020-03-05 12:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess there's only one way to find out. Thanks for the tip.
By huttburt<3 2020-03-05 20:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Would dgvoodoo be useful with a laptop that has a Ryzen 3200 chip and Vega 3 graphics card?
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-03-07 14:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

How easy/difficult is it to just zerg down the enemy base in Alluvion Yorcia Skirmish? I'd probably be going on SAM BRDorGEO WHMorCOR.
Just tried it. It was very simple and very fast. A party of SAM, BRD and BLU all DDing the base with a COR/SMN giving rolls and spamming Light Spirit to keep the mobs' attention kill the base in about 1 minute. Balamor went down the same speed. A floor where everyone is warped to a random position on the map could probably ruin your run if your /SMN can't get in front of the mobs in time before they reach the base, though, but we were lucky enough to not see one on our first run.
By Aerix 2020-03-07 17:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

A person I've been talking to on Reddit just claimed their LS clears all of Dyna-D (every mob in Wave 1 through 3, presumably excluding W3 boss) with an hour to spare using a melee cleaving strat.

Given that I run Dyna with a pretty competent LS full of highly geared players I find that hard to believe as even with our fastest setups we've timed out on Wave 3 before being able to kill the last 2-3 fetters or so (although I'm sure that's doable with less multiboxing and more actual people with the right jobs).

But I find it very hard to believe that it's possible to have an entire spare hour without skipping mobs, although I want to stay open-minded if anybody can actually corroborate this claim.
First Page 2 3 ... 636 637 638 ... 834 835 836