Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 628 629 630 ... 831 832 833
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-01-23 20:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got an Epaminondas's Ring from Trove. I was using Karieyh ring +1, but is it worth having these 2 or should I switch SoA ring to something else?

Jobs I play are RUN, WHM, WAR, THF mostly. But I also keep BLU and RDM gear up to date.

Thanks
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2020-01-23 20:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If you dont craft and want orvail, those two are your best bet to have for wsdmg rings
 Bismarck.Laurelli
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-01-23 20:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, thanks
By huttburt<3 2020-01-23 21:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

https://github.com/Selindrile

Looking into setting us gearswap. I don't understand the include stuff, and how that works. Looking at individual luas, there's no place to put in equipment.

Anybody that can translate this stuff, I'd appreciate it.
By Chimerawizard 2020-01-23 23:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

once you have his GS stuff downloaded and in the right spots, run \gearswap\data\Selindrile\Rename.exe
type in your character's name; it'll add a bunch of copies of his gear files but renamed with your character's name. then move all the new files with your name into \data\[yourName]\

next, fix the sets to have your gear in them.

as for a translation of it all. . . that's a tall order.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Pantafernando 2020-01-24 02:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

huttburt<3 said: »
https://github.com/Selindrile

Looking into setting us gearswap. I don't understand the include stuff, and how that works. Looking at individual luas, there's no place to put in equipment.

Anybody that can translate this stuff, I'd appreciate it.

Include will just include another lua as part of the lua being executed.

For example, this line

include('Sel-Include.lua')

Then there is a Sel-Include.lua in the libs file which functions will be able to be called by the lua being executed.

This is useful to reuse general functions without needing to rewrite in the lua everytime you need it. Generally the includes are referenced to files in library folders what gives an idea how they are supose to work.

So, in practical terms, if you see an include, think the entire lua being included was magically wrote inside the current lua.
[+]
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-01-24 05:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried searching for this first on Google/here but I just keep getting random gearswap or weaponskill threads since I'm not sure how to phrase the search correctly.

Outside of maintaining HP levels, is there any reason to have a 'hybrid' WS set? Supposedly the fastcast/precast sets are switched in the same packet as the midcast set so that you never run the risk of casting a spell in precast even when quick magic toggles. If weapon skills work the same way then I imagine that you're never actually vulnerable unless you spam your macro and get hit with terror or something.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-24 08:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cpu said: »
Outside of maintaining HP levels, is there any reason to have a 'hybrid' WS set? Supposedly the fastcast/precast sets are switched in the same packet as the midcast set so that you never run the risk of casting a spell in precast even when quick magic toggles. If weapon skills work the same way then I imagine that you're never actually vulnerable unless you spam your macro and get hit with terror or something.

Ideally, yes. However, lag or dropped packets in events where such things are common (I'm looking at you, Dyna-D) can often cause you to not switch back to your TP/Hybrid/Idle set after that WS, leaving you vulnerable.

And there is a real chance of "getting caught in WS gear" even without those drops- many players have encountered this at least once.

Though really, the biggest reasons that I (at times) use a more hybrid WS set are situations like on RUN when tanking and I don't want to lose 500-600 HP in my WS set...not for safety while WS'ing, but for overall consistency in HP levels across all sets. If I'm losing that much HP every time I WS, I'm probably showing up yellow afterward- prompting my healers to hit me with a Cure3/Cure4. And every cure tossed at me that I honestly only need because of my sets, not because of damage taken, is another thing I have to fight against in holding hate. In that situation, my damage isn't the most important thing...its keeping that mob off the rest of my party/alliance.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-01-24 10:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Weapon skills actually do not work the same way. Precast(or preshot) < action < midcast(or midshot) are sent in the same packet, which means they're all read in one sequence by the server before resuming another task. This means that while precast is on when the action packet is read and your action's execution time is calculated, midcast is on before the server does anything else at all and you cannot be hit in precast if a midcast swap is set up.

Weaponskills and job abilities have a finite execution time, despite appearing nearly instantly to us, which means doing the same thing will result in you never getting a ws in ws gear. If gearswap works optimally and sends the ws gear prior to the action packet, then swaps back to idle as soon as ws damage packet is received, you still have about a minimum 1 second window where you can be hit, higher with latency or dropped packets.

I've never personally gone as far as a hybrid ws set, but for high risk content like master trial I've used things like d.ring and resin augment in it just in case. As a tank, it'd certainly make more sense than as a DPS.
[+]
 Asura.Botosi
Server: Asura
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-01-24 12:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
I've never personally gone as far as a hybrid ws set, but for high risk content like master trial I've used things like d.ring and resin augment in it just in case. As a tank, it'd certainly make more sense than as a DPS.

I just made a Hybrid-WS set for Dyna-D wave 3 as Calad Drk when things get risky. It saved my butt last night.

Swapped Niqmaddu to Moonlight Ring
Knob to Tathlum +1
Fotia Belt to Flume belt +1

Gives me a decent amount of HP/PDT/MDT without missing out on too much DPS. Rather do weaker WS's than be weakened or dead.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2020-01-25 21:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Can Treasure Hunter, Gilfinder, and Federation aketon all proc on a single cast?
ItemSet 371020
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-01-25 22:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Botosi said: »
Shiva.Thorny said: »

I just made a Hybrid-WS set for Dyna-D wave 3 as Calad Drk when things get risky. It saved my butt last night.

Swapped Niqmaddu to Moonlight Ring
Knob to Tathlum +1
Fotia Belt to Flume belt +1

Gives me a decent amount of HP/PDT/MDT without missing out on too much DPS. Rather do weaker WS's than be weakened or dead.

Hjarrandi Helm is a better swap unless you have really crazy DM augments on Odyssean.
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-01-26 13:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Have a new pc and getting some bad lag whenever PCs are nearby. I have dgvoodoo installed and it’s running with 2gigs of virtual ram. I have shadows turned off in game. Any ideas what the issue could be? Could resolution or AA filtering be an issue? It’s literally only when there’s PCs on the screen.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-01-26 15:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Check if you have the supersampling option on from within the Windower launcher. Turn it off if so.
By huttburt<3 2020-01-26 23:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

How much better is a rostam compared to laun? Seems like not much difference for the price.
 Asura.Selindrile
By Asura.Selindrile 2020-01-27 11:15:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Dynamis Divergence wiki (and other places I've seen) mention specifically that "Notorious Monsters" in Dynamis in Divergence have a 75% resistance to Geomancy, but don't all monsters check as "Impossible to gauge" in that zone? So do they mean all mobs have that resistance in that zone? In which case why specify "Notorious Monsters" instead of just "all mobs" or do only mean some mobs? (Commanders? Wave bosses?)
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-27 11:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

How much better is a rostam compared to laun? Seems like not much difference for the price.

Depends on the Path.

Path C (the roll path) in Su4 form is pretty worthless to spend gil and heroisms on...you'll essentially end up with a very expensive Regal neck. +roll potency doesn't stack, it only uses your highest +roll piece. Meaning you've spent some serious gil and/or time to upgrade an expensive +duration piece.

Path A (the STP path) is pretty dang close, esp with the introduction of Malignance Gear. Just like any stat in the game- be it Double Attack, Triple Attack, MAB...STP- it starts to lose its potency the more you add. Adding 20 STP to your set when you've got +20 at the start...that's a big increase. Adding 20 STP to your set when you've got +50 at the start...not as much. And the difference between +20 and +25 just isn't nearly as potent.

I personally don't have a a path B (the occ. attacks twice path), so I'll let someone else comment on the differences between Rostam and Lanun in that variance.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2020-01-27 11:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

Depends on the Path.

Path C (the roll path) in Su4 form is pretty worthless to spend gil and heroisms on...you'll essentially end up with a very expensive Regal neck. +roll potency doesn't stack, it only uses your highest +roll piece. Meaning you've spent some serious gil and/or time to upgrade an expensive +duration piece.

Path A (the STP path) is pretty dang close, esp with the introduction of Malignance Gear. Just like any stat in the game- be it Double Attack, Triple Attack, MAB...STP- it starts to lose its potency the more you add. Adding 20 STP to your set when you've got +20 at the start...that's a big increase. Adding 20 STP to your set when you've got +50 at the start...not as much. And the difference between +20 and +25 just isn't nearly as potent.

I personally don't have a a path B (the occ. attacks twice path), so I'll let someone else comment on the differences between Rostam and Lanun in that variance.

I thought STP scales linearly unlike other stats, so it'd be one of the few things that doesn't have diminishing returns (unless there is some cap value).

* Accuracy and attack have a cap so adding more after a certain value is meaningless.
* Multi-attack has diminishing returns as it approaches 100% and obviously meaningless after 100%.
* MAB to enemy MDB is a ratio.

Also, from what I've read Path B isn't "Occasionally attacks twice" but a new term "Follow-up attack" which is essentially a new attack round.
Here's my interpretation of it..
I swing mainhand and proc triple-attack via gear (and follow-up attack to be used later), and proc triple-attack on offhand for 6 attacks. Since follow-up proc'd I get another round of attacks and if no proc I'll be hitting 8 times in the same round essentially.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-27 11:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »

Depends on the Path.

I thought STP scales linearly unlike other stats, so it'd be one of the few things that doesn't have diminishing returns (unless there is some cap value).

* Accuracy and attack have a cap so adding more after a certain value is meaningless.
* Multi-attack has diminishing returns as it approaches 100% and obviously meaningless after 100%.
* MAB to enemy MDB is a ratio.

Perhaps I over-simplified my words because in my head I had the related materials, but forgot to say explicitly.

-The Multiattack comments are exactly what I was referring to with those stats, when it comes to "diminishing returns".

-The MAB comment comes from my experiences with Magical Weaponskills. It was said in the reference of finding that key balance between MAB and WSD- having all of one vs a balance of the two results in weaker numbers vs. a good balance. In terms of raw nuking numbers, its that balance of MAB/INT/Macc for the most predictable numbers, otherwise you're committing yourself to a more "all or nothing" mentality. And personally, I see a lot more "nothings" than "alls" when I do that.

-The "diminishing returns" on STP also comes from the thought of finding that balance. Going full STP would be workable in situations like AM3 with a mythic or kclub where you're getting a naturally high multi-attack without needing multiple gear slots dedicated to it, but for most there's a need to balance out that multiattack and STP for best results. In terms of the way it scales- I'll take your thoughts as more educated than mine.

Sorry- I tend to do that a lot. Think my audience is inside my head and knows all that I'm thinking...not just what I type. My bad :)
 Bahamut.Minimuse
user: grumpette
By Bahamut.Minimuse 2020-01-27 12:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello my sweet Music Man <3

I have both A and B Rostams.

For times when I am sniping things from a distance, Path A by a long shot.

But on Wave3 bosses or something like Tzee Xicu the Manifest (Master Trials) I'll be doing melee tp into ranged WS rocking the B Rostam. B Rostam pulls ahead dramatically when paired with a bunch of quad and triple attack gear. I'm almost always multi-attacking as if I'm using a KC (I'm annoyed that only pre-Aht Urghan jobs can rock KC). My Leaden Salutes might not hit the hardest, but 26 extra Leaden Salutes adds up at the end of a 10 minute Wave3 boss kill.

The Quad attack gear includes a maxed Dampening Tam, Windbuffet+1 and some DM Quad Herc pieces.

Without the Quad attack gear on stuff that requires much higher accuracy, A&B Rostams both workout to be near identical.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-27 12:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Minimuse said: »
My Leaden Salutes might not hit the hardest, but 26 extra Leaden Salutes adds up at the end of a 10 minute Wave3 boss kill.

Damn straight they do!
By SimonSes 2020-01-27 12:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Minimuse said: »

Hello my sweet Music Man <3

I have both A and B Rostams.

For times when I am sniping things from a distance, Path A by a long shot.

But on Wave3 bosses or something like Tzee Xicu the Manifest (Master Trials) I'll be doing melee tp into ranged WS rocking the B Rostam. B Rostam pulls ahead dramatically when paired with a bunch of quad and triple attack gear. I'm almost always multi-attacking as if I'm using a KC (I'm annoyed that only pre-Aht Urghan jobs can rock KC). My Leaden Salutes might not hit the hardest, but 26 extra Leaden Salutes adds up at the end of a 10 minute Wave3 boss kill.

The Quad attack gear includes a maxed Dampening Tam, Windbuffet+1 and some DM Quad Herc pieces.

Without the Quad attack gear on stuff that requires much higher accuracy, A&B Rostams both workout to be near identical.

Actually it's completely opposite. The more multi-attack you have, the less effective is path B over path A (not to mention if you stack a lot fo QA and you proc it on both hands, you cant proc Follow attack from B, because of 8 hits per round limit). Path B only dramatically pulls ahead over A when your multi-attack is very limited (hybrid set with full malignance for example).

With a lot of multi-attack path A will be as good or better than B.

You can easily see it (I will use kinda fake numbers only to show the pattern).

If you have:
2 attack per round (0 multi attack)
120 storetp total
base TP per dagger hit: 50
Path B will get you: 2.5 * 50 * 2.2 = 275 TP
Path A will get you: 2 * 50 * 2.45 = 245 TP

Path B has 12% lead

Now lets change attacks per round to 4 and leave everything else the same.

Path B will give you: 4.5 * 50 * 2.2 = 495 TP
Path A will give you: 4 * 50 * 2.45 = 490 TP

Path B only has 1% lead remaining.

and if you push attacks per round to 5..

B: 5.5 * 50 * 2.2 = 605
A: 5 * 50 * 2.45 = 612.5

So like you can see, more multi-attack will make Path A win. It's actually much less Muti-attack needed for A to beat B than shown above, because this doesn't take into account that Path A has much bigger TP return on WS.
By tyalangan 2020-01-27 12:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So to answer the main question compared to simon’s numbers above in relation to TP gain Lanun B would be roughly:

4% behind Rostam B
2.5~% behind Rostam B
<2% behind Rostam B

You are fine going with Lanun. Things will die just as reliably as Rostam.
By Mattelot 2020-01-27 13:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the acc cap for WKR?
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-01-28 19:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

How easy/difficult is it to just zerg down the enemy base in Alluvion Yorcia Skirmish? I'd probably be going on SAM BRDorGEO WHMorCOR.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-01-28 19:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Impossible

I mean I never tried but they take reduced damage(?) and have obscene HP to prevent just that from happening, like 5 million?

Then again these days doing a million damage in a few seconds isn't out of the question, so, honestly don't know.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2020-01-29 17:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a way to keep FFXI logged in when someone switches users on the PC?
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-01-29 18:25:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Impossible

I mean I never tried but they take reduced damage(?) and have obscene HP to prevent just that from happening, like 5 million?

Then again these days doing a million damage in a few seconds isn't out of the question, so, honestly don't know.
They don't have nearly that much HP, maybe like 300-500k. If you summon a Kirin to stall the enemies for a bit on the higher floors you can generally just go kill it yourself.

The only annoying part is that the adds will immediately aggro any trusts you have out (while ignoring you), so if you're playing with only trusts they'll die fast.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-01-29 18:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The Stronghold has immense amount of HP and even a few percent of its life-bar represent over 50,000+ HP.

If you've done it though, there's your answer
First Page 2 3 ... 628 629 630 ... 831 832 833