Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-13 19:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If you just type..

/check person

Without targeting them, they can't change gear.

You missed one thing though Jaerik, tons of English players don't check players without asking. It was just a small amount of people that went around /checking everyone. If someone has a bazaar and I secretly want to check their gear, I'll use that as a chance to do it since they wouldn't want to be checked if they didn't have a bazaar.

Anything that groups people as NA or JP player never works because you are dealing with people who are not all the same.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-01-13 19:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Completely agreed, Devek. I wasn't implying that I agree or disagree with the notion that checking players is rude. I was just trying to provide some background history about why a subset of people think the way they do.
 Pandemonium.Sepihroth
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Sepihroth 2009-01-13 19:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Only time it bugs me is when someone thinks it's funny to spam check me...or if I hit my att gear macro to switch out my dusk gear while moving. Other then that Idc.
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-01-13 19:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
I've been known to do it. I've also been known to make a macro to remove all my gear. It's seen as "rude" by a several people.

I think it comes down to:

It's my gear, it's good enough for me. If you want to see it, feel free to say "Mind if I check?", otherwise you don't need to see it.

Got blinkmenot for people like you.
 Ramuh.Doomsday
Server: Ramuh
user: Doomsday
By Ramuh.Doomsday 2009-01-13 20:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Renowaik said:
I love when people examine me. I take a lot of pride in my gear. I've spent countless hours farming and camping for it. I'm a sucker for R/EX gear too, I like people to know I earned it, that I didn't buy it. Makes me wish sorc ring/uggy pendant and other gear was R/EX. Heck, most of the time when I get examined, I'll examine myself to see what they're seeing.

Egotistical? Maybe. But it says a lot about people who don't like being examined to me.

LOL...i was going to more or less type the same thing. but yeah I love to show off my hard work. Even if i had to "camp" the AH for it, i still had to farm a long time for a Hagun^^
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-13 20:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto said:
Hitetsu said:
I've been known to do it. I've also been known to make a macro to remove all my gear. It's seen as "rude" by a several people.

I think it comes down to:

It's my gear, it's good enough for me. If you want to see it, feel free to say "Mind if I check?", otherwise you don't need to see it.

Got blinkmenot for people like you.

What about people who don't use Windower? :p
 Lakshmi.Tyidus
Server: Lakshmi
user: Tyidus
By Lakshmi.Tyidus 2009-01-13 20:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

wow thanks for all your replies^^ i finally understand why some people see it as "rude" from the way SE worded it to jp players, i dont want to tell people in NA or other places how they want to play their game its just i dont see any personal gain from doing stuff like that. if someone changes gear on me and i know it is on purpose i WILL spam them with /check's for just being a smart *** about it. i know it doesn't seem right i just feel like those people who think the are so high and mighty they feel the urge to do it deserve what i give them lol. i know people wont agree with me its just one of the things that get on my nerves REALLY bad. but anyways, sorry for ranting, thanks for all the replies^^
 Titan.Azarasi
Server: Titan
user: azarashi
By Titan.Azarasi 2009-01-13 20:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

if you get bored and wana see how people react just type

/emote examines you.

in the middle of whitegate or something

Beyond that I don't see how and why people take offense, I like to check other RDM's to see what they have cause like getting around new gear when I can since unlike many others I don't get the chance to get Rare/EX's so I look at what I can buy or obtain.

Same goes cause I am leveling brd now and I want to know what I could get equpiment wise so checking other brds helps me out.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-01-13 21:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I love doing that /emote examines you thing. I get about 20 angry /emote replies. XD
 Fairy.Telamon
user: prisonsex
By Fairy.Telamon 2009-01-13 21:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see it as rude when people /check, but I do find it rude for people to /check and then comment on your gear when you're not even in a party with them.
 Odin.Marigrim
Server: Odin
user: Mmaarrii
By Odin.Marigrim 2009-01-13 22:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose the fault with it lies with SE, by wording the /check warning two different ways, I wouldn't use the function at all if the first time I saw it in my language it sounded in the same mannor - fact is it doesn't, further meaning you can't assume what english speaking players would do being that theroy went untested due to the total neutrality of the N/A vers. of the /check result. Then again I don't use the /check function without permission anyway, I am not over fluent in japanese or anything but I can speak enough to hold a conversation, and have had the pleasure (and sometimes dipleasure) of being able to hear things from the view point of some of my japanese friends who play - that was the first thing I was informed of (though they never said it was the emote wording just that it was rude so I suppose both sides are ignorant to the N/A neutrality and Japanese hostility of the emote content) my thought on it anyway.
Hiya everyone :D ~ Mari
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-01-13 23:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

lol my favorite was a hume girl who was seeking a party and had a bazaar up, standing by the outpost in the dunes, who got mad at me and sent me a /tell for checking her. She told me to 'warn her next time' or some such nonsense. I laughed and said I would keep that in mind, but she should expect checks if she's bazaaring. But seriously, some people just need a reason to fuss and complain, and getting their gear looked at gives them an excuse. Personally I don't care, I always have a comment up in my bazaar box and am usually trying to bazaar something, so I want as many people as possible to examine me and buy my junk. I guess if there is a problem with how the JP players see it, they need to just understand that not everyone knows that and not everyone sees it in the same way. NA and JP players really just need to learn to compromise and get along.
 Shiva.Lancelan
Server: Shiva
user: lancelan
By Shiva.Lancelan 2009-01-13 23:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

they are probably either gimped as hell or hiding in a diff linkshell while theres at a event
 Valefor.Dogwarrior
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Dogwarrior 2009-01-13 23:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I tend to check people if im on a specific job. If i'm on 75 Nin i'll check another 75 Nin just to see what gears they have that i might be interested in accquiring.

If I check someone just to check them, its because some item they have on catches my eye and i just have to see it, but after that i'd normally comment them. If they are japanese i'll autotranslate <very tough> <armor> /cheer or /bow, and they respond. If you have on a full set of homam, askar, relic, etc expect to be checked.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-13 23:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see getting /check spammed by someone being annoying, it annoys the hell out of me, and when someone DOES /check spam me, I either /stare back at them, or run away as fast as possible.

But someone just /checking me? I don't care. They think I'm gimp, that's cool...they're more then welcome to go to the nearest AH and buy me the gear they think I need, or help me camp the 24-hour spawn NM that drops it. Until then, well, their opinion is duly noted, but don't expect me to run off and change my gear.

Then again, I'm not of the type to show up at to party wearing a body piece, an earring, and a smile, and I AM guilty of /checking (not spamming) and /staring at people that do so. Call me old fashioned, but if you wanna party, you need to be wearing something. Even if it's a dumpy defense piece, that's fine, at least it's SOMETHING. Granted, I haven't run into that in a long time...

At any rate, yeah, I can understand the JP's being leery of /check since it displays such an awful message in Japanese...but you'd think that at this point 99% of them would know that in English it's not that bad, and no disrespect is intended.

Out of curiosity, with the addition of French and German, what does /check translate too directly in those languages? Anybody know?
 Carbuncle.Gilder
Server: Carbuncle
user: dewzedo
By Carbuncle.Gilder 2009-01-14 00:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't see how people can find it rude, but then again I'm one of those people that checks everyone I see. It's a good way to learn how to gear yourself and see what combination of gear works well on different jobs. Honestly if it bothers you you can chat filter it out, and that is what a GM would tell you to do if you asked them about it. Basically don't be so self conscious, not everyone is judging you >.>
 Kujata.Hrolandus
Server: Kujata
user: Hrolandus
By Kujata.Hrolandus 2009-01-14 00:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, if you go out on the street in RL wearing a tee-shirt that has some writing on it, expect people to stop and read your chest. If you wear pants with something written on the rear, expect that too. If you are wearing something fashionable, unique, or what have you, yep folks are going to "examine" you in real life. You can certainly expect that. And as for the JP in a culture that created cosplay, prides itself in unique hairstyles, entire subcultures like lolicon and sailor outfits (that practically plead for attention) and the impossible hair colors, and so on... I'm not buying it. Simply put, in our day to day we always look around and examine others. While we don't have emote texts to inform us of this reality our brains certainly register these examinations. If you are so nutty that you can't stand people doing it in RL stay home, and if you are such in this game, well maybe the same advice applies....
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-01-14 01:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Hrolandus said:
You know, if you go out on the street in RL wearing a tee-shirt that has some writing on it, expect people to stop and read your chest. If you wear pants with something written on the rear, expect that too. If you are wearing something fashionable, unique, or what have you, yep folks are going to "examine" you in real life. You can certainly expect that. And as for the JP in a culture that created cosplay, prides itself in unique hairstyles, entire subcultures like lolicon and sailor outfits (that practically plead for attention) and the impossible hair colors, and so on... I'm not buying it. Simply put, in our day to day we always look around and examine others. While we don't have emote texts to inform us of this reality our brains certainly register these examinations. If you are so nutty that you can't stand people doing it in RL stay home, and if you are such in this game, well maybe the same advice applies....

This.
 Fairy.Kelvinclein
By Fairy.Kelvinclein 2009-01-14 01:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate ppl changing gear or complaining why you check them, it's just something i could never understand.
This isn't real life.
 Asura.Israfel
Server: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2009-01-14 03:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind people checking me, but I'm always so nervous of checking others... I just don't like coming across as intrusive lol. So 9/10 times, I'll ask before checking someone, but I'm not up my own *** enough to /t people "Do you mind not checking me?! D:"
It's a shame it's seen in so many ways, I'm sure a lot of people don't mean it to be offensive, but it will come across as that way to certain people. We all have our quirks, in-game and in real-life, and we're always gonna meet people who are finnicky about certain things, that's just life I guess o_ob.

-Rin/Israfel
 Fairy.Kelvinclein
By Fairy.Kelvinclein 2009-01-14 04:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess you're right but still feels strange to hear of ppl who get irritated because someone checked them.
Maybe SE should make an option to not show when someone checks you so you don't get irritated when you are examined.
 Asura.Tmiller
Server: Asura
user: tmiller24
By Asura.Tmiller 2009-01-14 05:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

There is that option^^, Chat filters > check notices ^^;

-Rin / Israfel (Stealing husband's PC again e_e lol)
 Fairy.Blackmist
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-01-14 05:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Kelvinclein said:

Maybe SE should make an option to not show when someone checks you so you don't get irritated when you are examined.

(My last post didn't go thru o,0

-you can filter emote text, problem solved -

I only check ppl when im comparing gear. for the job im on, or going to level.

or when i guess there equip's and i then examine them to see if i guessed right ;3
 Fairy.Winterlight
By Fairy.Winterlight 2009-01-14 05:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Rajwa said:
Some people are embarrassed of being gimp and don't want people to know it. Some people have a rare piece of equipment and don't want to be bothered with questions about it. Some people are JP who think its still 2004 and its "rude". Some people pretend they are JP from 2004 and think its "rude". Some people are just stupid. I think that covers all the reasons people change equipment when examined.

lol, rate up!
 Bahamut.Ryousuke
Server: Bahamut
user: Ryousuke
By Bahamut.Ryousuke 2009-01-14 06:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.jpbutton.com/?p=551
Halfway down the page: Discussion and Japanese player's reponses to the question "Why is /check considered rude?"

Personally, I admit to being /check-happy and do it as I'm running through town. I am trying very hard to cut out the habit now as many people find it rude. I am sometimes embarassed about my not-so-pimped out gear as well, but I don't go as far as to change gear- unless it's a joke between friends.
 Fairy.Kelvinclein
By Fairy.Kelvinclein 2009-01-14 07:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

nice website:O
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-14 07:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I've a reason that hasn't yet been mentioned here ^^

When I get checked, and i'm not wearing what I consider to be my 'best' gear for that job... well, I flick a few pieces over, so if people are gonna look, they see my 'best side'.

One of my small vanities ^_^;. Example: Someone checks me and i'm wearing my WS gear on Warrior... i'll flick to my DoT gear since it's a lot more 'impressive'/expensive/rare/pretty etc etc.

But being checked in itself I don' mind at all. I didn't know that was why the JPs were so adverse to it actually, just knew they were. Learn something new every day.

Incidentally another nice phrase to use with JPs if you're that kind of person:

Sumimasen. Soubi wo mite mo iidesuka? - Excuse me. Can I see your equipment?

I like to put Jps at their ease, since i'm grateful they agreed to join when I really needed x,y or z job ^^
 Fairy.Kelvinclein
By Fairy.Kelvinclein 2009-01-14 07:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

lol i usually have crappy setup on lol and ppl might say "oh look at that idiot using Hecatomb head with haste gear" (yea i know it's a crappy example, just first thing that came to my mind thinking of what i wanted to say) but honestly idc.
 Gilgamesh.Jonls
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Jonis
By Gilgamesh.Jonls 2009-01-14 07:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

on my server I usually notice ppl in no gear at all if they don't want /check`ed.
It's just the way some people are. Me.. if I'm going to be away I'll do it so ppl don't ask me to party. Being a WHM EVEN if I am /anon and not LFG I'll get PT invites.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2009-01-14 08:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I tend to go anon and wear my RSE when i'm on my WHM to stop people hassling me for free teleports or asking me to PL them. I will give free tele's if i'm not busy but if i'm muling or buying at AH I want to be left alone. Other than that I don't care if someone wants to /check me. I did have someone do that a few weeks ago and then lol at me because I was wearing battle gloves on my lv 46 DNC.
I've noticed a lot of people in Jeuno who have no gear on,but they give themselves away by carrying a job specific weapon.