First Page 2 3 4 5
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-14 09:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think its rude either to check someone, you can compare what they use to yourself if you have the same job, you can see what gear they put on for when you are in pt too. If ppl are expecting to get a /tell just to check them, thats HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, you could be afk and the person /tell you and now youre the one considered rude for not answering a /tell. Just let ppl check you, its not hard to say "No" to people if they are asking for something cause of your job.

I get /tells for a D2 when I'm in a different zone than they are and all I say is sorry but you are too far.

Just say "No, sorry I'm busy"

But checking ppl is not rude, I've had ppl check me and ask me questions about certain gear or sometimes suggest different things. I consider checking someone is ok with me.

If you are whm, go anon and just put replacement gear that makes u look less than your level to tel imo.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-14 09:19:36
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I check people if:

A) They have some really cool looking stuff and I'm curious what it is, so I can go on wiki to see how to get it.
B) Same job as me, compare gear to see if I'm lacking or not.
C) They are japanese just to make them /grin at me. :3
 Remora.Princesscourt
Server: Remora
By Remora.Princesscourt 2009-01-14 09:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I check people to see what gear they got especialy when im currently leveling that job to see if there is something that i may need in the up comingg levels. Not all gear is on AH so you can't easily compare stats on stuff unless you do examine someone with that gear. Not all gear is visible waist, earing, ring, etc. so only way to know about somestuff isto examine. It gives me a good idea of gear that i may or may not need to obtain
 Asura.Pheng
Server: Asura
user: Pheng1
By Asura.Pheng 2009-01-14 10:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I swap out gear sometimes when being checked because I want them to see my dusk gears :D

Its annoying walking with dusk gears on.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-14 11:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Princesscourt said:
I check people to see what gear they got especialy when im currently leveling that job to see if there is something that i may need in the up comingg levels. Not all gear is on AH so you can't easily compare stats on stuff unless you do examine someone with that gear. Not all gear is visible waist, earing, ring, etc. so only way to know about somestuff isto examine. It gives me a good idea of gear that i may or may not need to obtain

This is why I check people also, I like to see how people are gearing a job i'm leveling, i'll often /check pld's that I see in whitegate to compare what people are wearing and then look up how to get their stuff then /sulk because it takes 10mil or 18 people to get lmao.

I really don't care if people want to check me, they can do it as many times as they want so long as they don't send me any abusive /tells about my gear/tell me to wear something else/or lol at me i'm not bothered.

Also about the japanese dislike of being /checked... i've played for about a year and had no idea about this till today lol SE should have done a better job translating the /emote to reflect what japanese players see, though having an option in config to not let people check you unless your bazaar is up might have solved that problem...
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-14 11:11:48

I really don't care.
As a matter of fact, I have it turned off.
So I never know if someone /checks me unless I find them digging in my bazaar.
And when that happens, I want them to buy, not look at my gear >:o
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-14 11:52:01

It's like getting mad at someone for looking at your shirt in public.
If you don't want people to see it, simply don't wear it.
Can't think of one legit reason why someone would get angry.
 Diabolos.Dagget
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Dagget 2009-01-14 11:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Only emo people complain about being check, its a fact.
 Bismarck.Vesper
Server: Bismarck
user: Vesper84
By Bismarck.Vesper 2009-01-14 12:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I talked to some JP people one time and found out what the issue is with them. They considering being checked like as if you were staring them IRL, and staring isn't polite. So pretty much that's why they don't like it. Most JPs seem to have gotten over it, they aren't as emo about it as they were like 2-3 years ago.
 Carbuncle.Bombard
Server: Carbuncle
user: bombard
By Carbuncle.Bombard 2009-01-14 12:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless I missed it, Jaerik said that SE intentionally made the /check function in JP to come across rude, then makes it a neutral emote in other languages, so NA's come along and don't see it as a problem since a vast majority don't speak JP and /check JP's who get offended -- what I'm getting out of this is SE wanted to create more friction than needed between two player bases by not being consitant on purpose. I find it hard to believe that they made something to be offensive in one language but not the other, but if what Jaerik said was true then just lol. And they wonder why anyone that's not JP thinks JP are heavily favored in the game. OMGITSOURGAMEGTFO, lolnice.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-14 12:09:43

I wonder what /slap is to them.

<t> has thrusted his/her hand across your face with tremendous force.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-14 12:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bombard said:
what I'm getting out of this is SE wanted to create more friction than needed between two player bases by not being consitant on purpose.

Would SE really do this? Do Japanese really dislike Americans this much? =/
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-14 12:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
I wonder what /slap is to them. <T>has thrusted his/her hand across your face with tremendous force.

Lmao! =D
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-14 12:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda wanna download the JP version just to see now lol
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-14 12:38:33

It's an in game function that can be used at will regardless of who it may be. If it bothers them so much there was a specific filter made for it. However it seems a majority prefer to feign ignorance and continue to act butthurt over something as petty as being examined.
 Midgardsormr.Nishida
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Nishida
By Midgardsormr.Nishida 2009-01-14 12:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I the only person who is proud of their gear and relishes being checked? >.>;

Edit: That was worded funny..I'm by no means an uber elite geared player..I just know I have the right gear setups for what I can afford/access. Full timing my bushi, brutal, and rajas on my SAM and BLU..hell yes I want people to see those, lol.
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-01-14 13:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I find staring at someone rude.
._.
The odd time I will check someone though, when I am curious as to what gear they are using. Usually feel bad after doing it, though.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-01-14 14:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Nishida said:
Am I the only person who is proud of their gear and relishes being checked? &gt;.&gt;; Edit: That was worded funny..I'm by no means an uber elite geared player..I just know I have the right gear setups for what I can afford/access. Full timing my bushi, brutal, and rajas on my SAM and BLU..hell yes I want people to see those, lol.

I agree with Nishida! I don't mind being checked. I always assume if they check me they either want to see what level I am or look at some of the gear I have. About the only time I get confused is when I've been partying with said person for 2 hours and they suddenly /check me. Then I usually just say /em was examined. And they usually /panic lol

The only time I apologize for /checking was when I see some gear I was interested in and accidently get out of their gear and have to check them again. But if someone does that to me I usually just joke around and ask if they saw something they liked.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-01-14 15:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
._.
The odd time I will check someone though, when I am curious as to what gear they are using. Usually feel bad after doing it, though.

I really don't get this. They're characters. In a video game.

"Better look away before that guy thinks I'm staring at his Great Sword!".

SE really needs to make examines filtered by default. I bet the people who are too lazy to filter it now would go out of their way to unfilter it though.
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2009-01-14 15:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like everyone has different opinions on this... I don't mind being checked but I have noticed most people who like to change gear while checked are jap manthras and taru males =P.
 Lakshmi.Woodchipper
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Woodchipper 2009-01-14 15:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

lol once i checked some jap player like 30 times cause he keept switchin his gear on me. he auto translated (badbreath) on me, lmao
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2009-01-14 15:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Woodchipper said:
lol once i checked some jap player like 30 times cause he keept switchin his gear on me. he auto translated (badbreath) on me, lmao

That's hilarious XD.
 Ifrit.Dinarii
user: Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-01-14 15:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

its lost in translation. i remember this back in the day when it was a real big thing. it's mostly not too much of a big deal now, but back when the game started the JP players would go nuts. iirc what we see when someone /c u is "Player examines you." But the translation in jp is somewhere along the lines of "Player stares intently at you" and is considered impolite.

but like i said, not so big now as it used to be.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-01-14 15:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

yah they should just change the message for both JP and NA to mean something like "xxx is checkin' yo swag dog" or something else hood
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-14 15:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Dinarii said:
iirc what we see when someone /c u is "Player examines you." But the translation in jp is somewhere along the lines of "Player stares intently at you" and is considered impolite.

so what does it say when you use emote /stare then. O.o
 Hades.Magoichi
Server: Hades
user: Magoichi
By Hades.Magoichi 2009-01-14 16:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I do it mostly.. Because im just sitting around being bored.. and it gives me something to do :)
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-01-14 16:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
Celene said:
._.

I really don't get this. They're characters. In a video game.

"Better look away before that guy thinks I'm staring at his Great Sword!".

SE really needs to make examines filtered by default. I bet the people who are too lazy to filter it now would go out of their way to unfilter it though.

There is a person behind the character,too. I just feel like I am invading their space, regardless if "they're just characters in a video game." It's still staring and just something *I* don't do. Someone mentioned it's a privacy thing. I am for the most part a very private person and suppose it is just something that carried on into the game since it does force you to communicate and interact with other people. So how I act in game is how I act in person. I guess I'm not creative enough to make up a fake persona. ^^;

I don't like checking people, however, if they are going to check me, then go for it. Sure I feel embarrassed when someone does, but if it made me feel angry or upset I would filter it. It's all a matter of preference.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-14 16:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I just examined someone in Ordelle's Caves to see if they had Morbolger title... They sent me a tell asking why I was checking them. Told them why, and they called me "A very rude woman :(" for checking them.

There isn't really a debate as far as I'm concerned. If people don't like it, filter it. If it wasn't something we could filter out, I could understand the upset.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.