Some DRG Gear Help..

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Some DRG gear help..
Some DRG gear help..
First Page 2 3
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-04-15 00:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorta new to DRG and think my gear sets are ok for a beginner but don't really know how to improve on them. I've mostly played mage so not sure what is important to improve on first etc..

TPing in this for 6 hit:
TP.

And making these changes for Drakesbane WS:
WS changes.

--

Not sure on the following

Rings:
idk which ring is best to pair with Rajas:
Ulthalam's Ring I like the Acc and Att
Iota Ring for tp has more Acc
Blitz Ring has some Haste
and STR/DEX yea for ws but idk which is best

Body:
I have Homam- and like the extra Accuracy.. but I'd lose 6hit- so I'm assuming Askar is the top choice.

I want to get Askar hat for tp and ws? Is that better than Turban? etc..

and I don't know how much these will help:
Zahak's Mail
Cuchulain's Mantle
both are very expensive and I'm not sure I'd notice that much difference for the amount I'd have to spend to get them.

--

Any help at all would be very.. helpful >.> ty :3
 Remora.Kyri
Server: Remora
user: Kayll
By Remora.Kyri 2010-04-15 00:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Rings:
TP: Some sort of accuracy, uthalam's, sniper's/+1, or toreador's. I'd only suggest blitz if you're capped on acc.
WS: STR all the way.

Body: Askar is pretty good for tp, homam is situational.
I would highly suggest Zahak's but if you don't have the cash then askar is ok for WS.

Back: If you're strapped for cash get a forager's mantel.

Askar head is good for drg, unless of course you have ace's. Edit: Again, use walahra if capped on acc.

Edit again lol: Ares legs is pretty good for WS for future consideration.

I would also trade the thalassocrat for a good fay lance.
 Gilgamesh.Notouchy
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Notouchy
By Gilgamesh.Notouchy 2010-04-15 01:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Your TP Set is about what most DRGs go for. Xcept Head i usually see a bunch of Ace's Compared to Askar/wallyturban
For WS try to get Nhead and Zahaks def. If not Zahaks then sit on Askar. And Everywhere u can get STR keep it coming. Eventually Shoot for Ares's Body. its an amazing WS piece.
And for WS Legs id personally Suggest Barone over Dusk. And i think they are less expensive as well. Money that u can put towards other pieces of gear.
 Odin.Lowblow
Server: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-04-15 01:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

please dont tell him STR all the way for WS, especially on Drakesbane.
Its all situational and most drakesbane build require a set amoutn of DEX based on teh mob your going up against.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-15 01:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

First off, you are doing it right and I love you for it. Always nice to see a DRG who uses good gear.

Now then!
Quote:
Rings:
idk which ring is best to pair with Rajas:
Ulthalam's Ring I like the Acc and Att
Iota Ring for tp has more Acc
Blitz Ring has some Haste
and STR/DEX yea for ws but idk which is best
Either Blitz or a full acc ring, depending on your hitrate and how much acc you have. As a general rule, Blitz if you can cap hitrate with it and acc ring if you can't. Ulth isn't really a wise choice for the most part (Assault/Salvage excepted for WS and TP too if you need acc).
Quote:
Body:
I have Homam- and like the extra Accuracy.. but I'd lose 6hit- so I'm assuming Askar is the top choice.
You can 6-hit with Homam via Rose Strap, but unless you have no Polearm merits this really isn't the way to go outside of HNM and exceptionally evasive targets given the use of Marinara Pizza as appropriate. A better piece to aim for would be Aurum Cuirass if possible; true 6-hits are nice sometimes and it also lets you Jump in something other than an STP body or Barone pants. As it is you're just shy of 400 acc in your TP set assuming Hume/Taru/Galka DEX and Hasso (and Blitz Ring =P), which is a good general target.
Quote:
I want to get Askar hat for tp and ws? Is that better than Turban? etc..
Obviously better for WS since Turban has no WS stats, but Turban beats Askar for TP in any situation excepting one where you are both severely underbuffed (no outside Haste whatsoever) and lacking acc (below ~80% hitrate). Solo is an exception since damage taken is a factor there, Askar would be preferable.
Quote:
and I don't know how much these will help:
Zahak's Mail
Cuchulain's Mantle
both are very expensive and I'm not sure I'd notice that much difference for the amount I'd have to spend to get them.
Zahak's sidegrades to Aurum Cuirass for WS; Cuchulain's Mantle is a nice TP piece when you need a bit more accuracy and is also a nice WS piece if dDEX is high (basically only on merit fodder for DRGs >.<). On that note, your WS set: Iota would be better replaced with a STR+5 (or 6!) or DEX+5 (6!) ring depending on dDEX, and Askar Zucchetto would be a decent piece here too. Your leg slot would benefit from Aurum or Askar legs, ideally Nlegs or Ares' Flanchard but I don't know if those are accessible to you. Other than that, looks good.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-15 01:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Xcept Head i usually see a bunch of Ace's Compared to Askar/wallyturban
For the record, most of these people are doing it wrong... I'll admit Ace's looks better, but Walahra Turban is generally the superior piece these days. Harder to get =/= better.
Quote:
I would also trade the thalassocrat for a good fay lance.
Situational. A strong Fay Lance augment set makes it the superior choice for a DRG in most cases, but if you're in a group where not everyone is gearing/eating as they should (uncapped acc), Thalassocrat will benefit the group quite a bit. The optimal answer barring VFork/Ryunohige/Gungnir would be a magian lance. OAT with DMG+ is best in most situations (and doesn't require an STP body!); max damage and STR/attack lances are competitive with each other depending on the level and defense of the target (max DMG for merit fodder types, STR/attack for stronger mobs).
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-04-15 01:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

What about Champion's Galea? With good augments you can replace a lot of ACC on WS's with STR or DEX. Mine currently has +4 STR 10acc 5att and ws acc +15. That's a massive 25ACC!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-15 01:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
What about Champion's Galea? With good augments you can replace a lot of ACC on WS's with STR or DEX. Mine currently has 4 STR 10acc 5att and ws acc 15. That's a massive 25ACC!
I'd recommend the STR/WSDMG augment set over this, but the Galea is definitely a solid choice for WS. Ideally you're looking at NHead, with Nocturnus Helm and Maat's Cap close behind.
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-04-15 02:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I've not had a party since I've been 75- level sync and I skilled up my Polearm solo on crabs in the tree -.- ..

I doubt my Acc is cap on anything (since no merits yet) so that's why I wanted to use Iota. But I liked the attack on Ulthalam's.

I've no group for ZNM so Aurum is out.

Askar legs might be a possibility but Heca no :(

--

I don't have those xpac hat/body options- I prefer to get them for COR maybe if I ever can finish it :(
 Sylph.Sornstarguh
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Sornstarguh 2010-04-15 02:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey everyone. My DRG is pretty weak...tryin to work on this but being a melee nub is not helping. How do I know when acc is capped?
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-15 02:42:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I doubt my Acc is cap on anything (since no merits yet) so that's why I wanted to use Iota. But I liked the attack on Ulthalam's.
Ah. It'll come in time; even so you'd be surprised... a lot of targets don't need a lot of acc and there's still pizza. Merits are the only place where you'd run into issues really.
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. If you were actually considering Zahak's I'd say it's still accessible via mercenary shells, as the prices (at least here) are about the same.
Quote:
I don't have those xpac hat/body options- I prefer to get them for COR maybe if I ever can finish it :(
COR benefits far more from them than DRG does so I can hardly blame you for that =P
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-15 02:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sornstarguh said:
Hey everyone. My DRG is pretty weak...tryin to work on this but being a melee nub is not helping. How do I know when acc is capped?
Parsing or knowing the amount required to cap on the given target beforehand. Hitrate caps at 95%.
 Sylph.Sornstarguh
By Sylph.Sornstarguh 2010-04-15 02:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok thanks gonna look into that.
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-04-15 02:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
Ah. It'll come in time; even so you'd be surprised... a lot of targets don't need a lot of acc and there's still pizza. Merits are the only place where you'd run into issues really.
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. If you were actually considering Zahak's I'd say it's still accessible via mercenary shells, as the prices (at least here) are about the same.
Quote:
COR benefits far more from them than DRG does so I can hardly blame you for that =P

Yay quote works now!

Will be getting merit eventually- don't really play thf anymore, and I've had dagger since who knows how long ago!

For the body- are you saying Aurum merc would be better than spending AH for a Zahak?

Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-04-15 03:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sornstarguh said:

Check out Hitrate and Accuracy on wiki, that will give you the equations you need. Then you can compare your accuracy agasint the mobs.

General level of accuracy needed to cap in different events are:
Dynamis citys: ~360-380
Limbus: ~380 (non boss)
Nyzul: ~360
Northlands dynamis: ~400
Einherjar: ~390-400

Most of them are very rough, and vary massively based on the job of the mob you are fighting or zone you doing, but most 2 handed DD jobs aim for around 400 acc before food.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-15 03:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Aurum is a sidegrade to Zahak's in most situations for WS and it's arguably the best TP body available to DRG outside of Wyrm Mail +1 and Ares when soloing. Also barring Nocturnus Mail, but I don't think anybody actually has that yet soooooooo yeah. (EDIT: I'm wrong, just found a pic. FFFFFFFFFFFF, DO WANT) So yes, I'd recommend getting Aurum if you're going to make a choice between the two. Do bear in mind you won't need that STP if you make a Bradamente though, at which point Zahak's might in fact be the more desirable option depending on the rest of your gear.
 Sylph.Sornstarguh
By Sylph.Sornstarguh 2010-04-15 03:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:
Sylph.Sornstarguh said:
Check out Hitrate and Accuracy on wiki, that will give you the equations you need. Then you can compare your accuracy agasint the mobs. General level of accuracy needed to cap in different events are: Dynamis citys: ~360-380 Limbus: ~380 (non boss) Nyzul: ~360 Northlands dynamis: ~400 Einherjar: ~390-400 Most of them are very rough, and vary massively based on the job of the mob you are fighting or zone you doing, but most 2 handed DD jobs aim for around 400 acc before food.

Thanks! Looking now.
 Sylph.Sornstarguh
By Sylph.Sornstarguh 2010-04-15 03:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ouch...I'm at 310 w/o food when I ws if I'm doing this right. For tp its 330. Well I have a long way to go on gear thats for sure.
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-04-15 03:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sornstarguh said:
Ouch...I'm at 310 w/o food when I ws if I'm doing this right. For tp its 330. Well I have a long way to go on gear thats for sure.

330 sounds very low, are you sure?

Assume 75DEX and 276 skill I get:

75*0.75 = 56
(76*0.9) + 200 = 268
+ 22 For traits

That’s 346 accuracy before gear.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-15 03:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sornstarguh said:
That can't be right. I'd suggest double checking yourself with FFXICalc to try and eliminate any mistakes - don't forget to tick the two-handed weapon box and select DRG as your job. You want the Melee Accuracy tab under Statistics.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-04-15 04:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm no DRG, but don't forget that DRG's gain Accuracy Bonus 2 at Lv.50, so you have +22 accuracy from traits also.

FFXI Calc is great for playing around with Accuracy numbers to find your best mix of Acc/Haste/STP

EDIT: Ignore me >_> I got beaten to the punch, twice XD
 Sylph.Sornstarguh
By Sylph.Sornstarguh 2010-04-15 04:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for helpin me out. Your equations made it clear to me even tho I had checked wiki. For some reason I only used my +dex for the calculation instead of the whole thing but there were other mistakes as well...

Also my polearm skill is 265 atm which is embarassing to say but there it is. So my new figures are 351 on ws setup and 353 in tp. That sounds about right too. I do alright in Nyzul with food but I wouldnt dare try and take him to dynamis.

Fought gessho today as DRG and I was not happy with my performance at all thats what started all this.

Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-04-15 04:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cap your skill, its ~9 acc and 10 attack for free.

But you need/want us to go over your gear, post it and we will see what we can do.
 Sylph.Sornstarguh
By Sylph.Sornstarguh 2010-04-15 04:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok sounds like a plan I'll get to work on the sets. Man...this is gonna be embarrasing haha.

Edit: Ok here is the damage.

TP:

WS:

What I'm tryin to work on now is WS gear. The bounding boots make me ashamed to leave the mog house. Not enuff points for Amir and tryin to go straight to askar gambieras if we can get some to drop...I'm about to uncurse some neptunal hands tho.

Also, trying to move on from these gross rings. Thing is I have tamas so Im out on rajas. Plannin to get Ulathams after 2 more toau fights but other than that I'm lost on rings.

Been spending alot of time tryin to catch nyzul runs lately but in clearing floor 100 in a static (no thf) and then doing numerous pickups I've seen one pair of goliard clogs.

Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-04-15 05:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like you have the right idea although you are low on accuracy through out.

General:
Pole Grip is better than Mythril +1

TP:
At your current accuracy I would use Scorpion Harness
Other things to go for:
* PCC
* Swift (removing the cap from this fight in June)
* Askar or Aurum legs until homam
* Homam, legs, feet, hands and possibly body for situationally
* Askar body (as part of a 6hit build, with rajas or rose)

WS (Penta or Drakesbane?)
Again, you need more accuracy here to increase your WS consistancy, so
* SH
* PCC
* Life (or Virtuoso) belt
* AF+1 or Heca Hands
* AF+1 legs or Pahluwan Seraweels
* Amir feet are pretty good so I would go for them (they would beat Askar on multi hit WS when you need acc)
* Consider acc rings until you have more acc else where
* O hat if you have it

Some or any of that would be a good place to look.
 Sylph.Sornstarguh
By Sylph.Sornstarguh 2010-04-15 06:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the advice! I try to stick with drakesbane as much as I can. I'd like to WT more but I'm scared I'll miss it.

I can break out the SH and O-hat. Haven't been toting em around since I got 75 but I definately can until I get more acc. One thing that really sticks out to me is PCC. Its been bugging me for along time. As 75 thf also its just not right I don't have one. Question is do I go slug it out with argus or nut up and buy one...argus scares me with that window.

But back on topic, I can prolly get those pahluwan now or at least close. I didn't realize amir was that good but I could pick those up soon with some focus on assaults, I think I'm about 4k shy of them. Homam is along way off for me as I'm at the bottom of the pile heh.

Anyway now I'm just rambling. I do appreciate the advice. What seemed so far off doesn't seem that bad now.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-15 12:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You could do the BCNM for PCC to try and get it, it's easy and it has a fairly high drop rate. Aurum Legs are usually cheap since they get floored a lot.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-04-15 13:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

What about Heca harness for ws compared to Askar or is it not worth it since it will mess with 6 hit?
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-04-15 14:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
What about Heca harness for ws compared to Askar or is it not worth it since it will mess with 6 hit?

It won't mess with your 6-hit unless you decide to TP in heca WHICH YOU SHOULD NEVER DO. Heca harness is great for WSing, 12STR 10ACC, <3. Although... now that I have it I want Zmail DX

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
What about Champion's Galea? With good augments you can replace a lot of ACC on WS's with STR or DEX. Mine currently has 4 STR 10acc 5att and ws acc 15. That's a massive 25ACC!
I'd recommend the STR/WSDMG augment set over this, but the Galea is definitely a solid choice for WS. Ideally you're looking at NHead, with Nocturnus Helm and Maat's Cap close behind.

Dunno if I could live without the extra 10acc though. Right now on WS I have 417ACC. Hecatomb cap is definitely awesome looking, but.. using it would mean a -21ish ACC reduction.
First Page 2 3