SE Anti-farming Now?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » SE anti-farming now?
SE anti-farming now?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ragnarok.Karolann
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: karolann
By Ragnarok.Karolann 2008-12-08 23:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

NPCing stuff for large quantities of gil so easily wasn't something SE intentionally did. It strikes me as a little silly to be upset that they fixed loopholes they initially made by accident and people have found and abused for the sake of making quick and easy money. You should be grateful for the opportunity you had to make the money you did and move onto a more stable way of making your gil. There are still plenty of things to farm, things that you won't have to worry about having SE "taking" away from you later on.
 Odin.Marigrim
Server: Odin
user: Mmaarrii
By Odin.Marigrim 2008-12-08 23:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow.. ppl are really getting pissy over this :( good thing for once I don't have an opinion D:
 Bahamut.Omnico
Server: Bahamut
user: omnico
By Bahamut.Omnico 2008-12-09 00:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

as for makeing money from crafting i have 100 alchemy and i make very litte nin para tools was ok but now to many do that and under cut so now i dont make enough to waste my time on it
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
Server: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2008-12-09 01:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Omnico said:
as for makeing money from crafting i have 100 alchemy and i make very litte nin para tools was ok but now to many do that and under cut so now i dont make enough to waste my time on it

100 alchemists were the ones making gil off Black Ink. You missed out on a ton of gil :/
 Gilgamesh.Zythum
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Zythum
By Gilgamesh.Zythum 2008-12-09 02:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is that getting gils was tough in this game. Farming mobs was an easy way and not too slow way of getting gils. now, what ? crafting ? The most profitable crafts are hugely expensive... Upping smaller crafts before ? OK, but when will i start to get decent money? In 6 months ? Farming was not "mind correct" way of getting gils, but it was the best (and this has not strarted a few months ago...), hope they'll compensate that with the coffers and labyrinth updates, or that in the next update mobs will drop more gils, or that thieves can steal more gils (today it is quite ridiculous)... Let's hope, christmas is approaching ! ^^

edit: i say "farming WAS" because withthe new prices it is not a hardly a good way of making gils.
 Fairy.Kelvinclein
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Kelvinclein 2008-12-09 02:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

lol.. this is really bs, they want ppl to farm the way they want.Instead of fixing major problems, they rather cockblock ppl who farm..
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2008-12-09 03:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Really there are two points in this:

1. NPCing items for gil brings gil into the economy, which will now be dramatically decreased as people used to be able to make 40k/hour of b.blood.

2. Everyone that farmed the camps that have been destroyed now has to go elsewhere, more people crafting as a result = more competition for existing crafters. And farming other camps = more competition for people at those camps.

Just the way I see these changes.
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2008-12-09 05:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

They fail, they should find a better way to extinguish RMT instead of *** us up with the whole farming, they messed up beast blood and the HQ Skins. Now, the game is complicated as it is for the economy ***, there's lots of games out there that the economy rocks and makes it a happier place, but we're forced to buy rags to wear because of this.

I say; SE stop it, we need better ways to make money not cockblock us all the time. BTW. mistletoe; FAIL.

It's bumming me out then adding caskets...yeah as if it's going to make it better, Welp im not fixing anything complaining, but i think they should find better ways. eh.
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2008-12-09 05:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

and btw, farming isnt the best way to play the game but theres alot of competence out there with crafters, if everyone out there was crafting no one would really make money at all for themselves. so everyone should find their own way, and they should add more ways to make atleast decent money instead of blocking us up with the farming.

so maybe they are trying to change gameplay? I think wrong move SE. contrary, should add different kinds of things to do for money instead of adding hard to find caskets, basicly the game is, spend 10 hours making money and 1 hour actually playing the game, just because of the difficulty. I don;t want to play a game that all i do is make gil.. is hard to make gil... and that the gil actually stops me from enjoying it, that's what they're doing, nerfing the game. final.
 Unicorn.Shimay
Server: Unicorn
user: Shimay
By Unicorn.Shimay 2008-12-09 06:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Well.. the only thing SE supports with that is.. RMT's can sell more money... and normal player get pissed.. cause RMT's overflood ah.. and undercut each other...
@ darki: youre right.. you spend more time with farming then with actually play the game.. but whatever.... maybe they want that real players stop playing..
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2008-12-09 06:37:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone think more people will start looking to BCNMs or crafting now as a result of this? Because it could mean more of such items in the market futher reducing their prices.

Hell maybe SE wants to start a deflation by pusing people into crafting. Maybe Karolann is right and SE ment for the main way to add gil to the economy is not NPCing farmable's but from NPCing crafted items...
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2008-12-09 06:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shimay said:
Well.. the only thing SE supports with that is.. RMT's can sell more money... and normal player get pissed.. cause RMT's overflood ah.. and undercut each other... @ darki: youre right.. you spend more time with farming then with actually play the game.. but whatever.... maybe they want that real players stop playing..

Hmm if they want to stop people from playing they should have saved this tactic for when they phase this game out for their next MMO >< lol

And yeah, if you farm 50k a hour it takes 20 hours to make 1M. Of which you'll prob spend a lot on consumables, it's just really not appealing spending so much time doing what I feel personally is a chore.
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2008-12-09 07:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So what SE jacking Price's Down this really isnt a big deal is it??? SE drops the Price Haubergon Price drops! Money value Increase's You Can Buy Much MUCH more with Less Money Now than what you could do 1yr-2yrs ago geez I remember when i start'd the game and Serket ring was 20mil? Come on people stop bitching about price's its for the better....

There are many many ways to make gil playing everyday worthwhile things (Meriting, Exp'ing)

Do you sell all your crystalls? I doubt many people do i do, and make around 100k+ a Month yeah its only 100k But what am i doing to make it i'm improven my merits/Jobs, What else I get Imp Standing Points for ISNM's Where i can make an easy 300k+-(server depending) or sell coins!!
thats not counting the BS's and KS's i get aswell

If you really wanted to make gil while doing something worth while u'll find a way if Not you Wont!
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-12-09 07:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Karolann said:
NPCing stuff for large quantities of gil so easily wasn't something SE intentionally did. It strikes me as a little silly to be upset that they fixed loopholes they initially made by accident and people have found and abused for the sake of making quick and easy money. You should be grateful for the opportunity you had to make the money you did and move onto a more stable way of making your gil. There are still plenty of things to farm, things that you won't have to worry about having SE "taking" away from you later on.

I'd like to know when SE ever said they never intended gil to be made from npcing items, if that were so they why have any item npc for anything? This was about anti-RMT actions not original intentions. Every FF game I've played you make the majority of your money from selling items to shops. Just wait until all the farming is gone and when all the past farmers start dabbling into your craft and all the stuff you made gil on is plundered to nothing. Then we'll be seeing you complain b/c someone undercut you when everyone is selling the same things.
 Ragnarok.Karolann
By Ragnarok.Karolann 2008-12-09 10:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

This is really quite silly. Farming is and always will be a reliable source of gil, as long as there are others playing the game. However, the little shortcuts that were overlooked and have been taken advantage of by more than just normal players are being found and dealt with appropriately. How about farming something that you can sell on the AH and contribute to the economy. That is what I meant by SE not intending for people to just sit and NPC things for large quantities of gil. If no one farmed anything but NPCable items and did just that, there'd be a lot of new gil brought into the game, but there'd also be a lack of ingredients for crafted items. Farming items only to NPC them benefits yourself. Farming items to AH allows someone else to buy your items and make further use of them. When farming "NPCable" items like Beast Blood for instance, it discourages you from other items that may be helpful to the community otherwise. So by taking away the appeal of satisfying just your own needs, it forces you to actually find a way (or many ways) to look for things you can make money from while benefitting more than yourself. Not only that, but it introduces a lot less gil at a time into the server.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Alexander.Burden
Server: Alexander
user: Burden
By Alexander.Burden 2008-12-09 10:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to enjoy farming but for the past 2 years its gotten redundant. I wasted over 80% of my time farming. Not anymore ...I just stop paying my monthly fee and jump on Gears of War for a few months. For all of you that feel like there’s other ways to make gils your right...but farmers keep this game moving. SE needs to remember that. Imagine what would happen if farmers decided to make gils other ways?

Side note: I’m all for undercutting when it comes to Auction House goods. =)
keep prices low!
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-12-09 10:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently Karolann you don't farm for anything but your personal crafting needs if at all. If you did you would realize that if you're going to make any kind of gil any time this century the ah is too slow. 7 items at a time max? I don't even have space for my crafting results and gear I don't need anymore let alone 10 stacks of silk/chips/etc. I support farming items for ah but a lot of times there just isn't space to sell that stuff. Just because you didn't make gil selling stuff to npc doesn't make it an evil thing to do. One of the great things about this game was the ablility of choices of how to obtain gil. Destroying these options is what I am opposed to not what people farm, I could care less how anyone makes gil that's their business not mine.
 Ragnarok.Karolann
By Ragnarok.Karolann 2008-12-09 10:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

On the contrary, I used to farm things like Beast Blood amongst other things for profit. I know personally how fast I can rake in quick gil with NPCing things that sell for an abnormally high price considering how easy the item is to come by. But its a loophole. I wouldn't say it was evil, because it was a simple flaw in the game and it was easy to take advantage of. However, I was aware enough to realize that it wasn't a reliable thing to depend on for money. If something is "too good to be true", it probably is. And that was one thing that was just too easy for its own good. Those who made money easily this way should be happy they had the opportunity to take advantage of the flaw before it was finally taken care of. To complain that you can't go and make 40-50k an hour without touching the AH anymore is a little pointless. And as far as the limited number of AH spaces goes, I agree at times 7 spaces really isn't enough, but if its not, use a mule to sell stuff too. I'd say the vast majority of people on FFXI have at least one mule, so why not use it? With the closing of these little tricks people abused, there are still more ways than one can count to make gil. Playing the victim here doesn't get anyone anywhere.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-12-09 11:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so you're saying now we have to have a mule to sell things to make ppl like you happy that want to buy the materials to craft? I don't see any sense in this only dealing on the ah idea you seem everyone has to follow. Maybe some ppl don't like others being able to see how they make gil.

Also if npcing for gil is a loop hole then why don't they get rid of things like charging for teleports or d2/retrace, etc.. You would have to think they are total morons to believe they didn't know that people would farm these things and sell them for gil. Npcing these items was not a loophole it was intended just not to the extent that happened. SE doesn't care how much gil we have they only care if they're getting paid and rmt selling gil for real money isn't them getting paid.
 Ragnarok.Karolann
By Ragnarok.Karolann 2008-12-09 11:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Think what you will of what I said. Think what you will of SE and what they care (or don't care) about. In the end, you're the one left feeling victimized for whatever reason you may have.

As far as people seeing how you make your gil, surely you realize that you can minimize transactions seen here to 0, allowing no one other than yourself to know exactly what you've sold to make money.
 Odin.Synyster
Server: Odin
user: Synyster
By Odin.Synyster 2008-12-09 12:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

im a thief, i farm for a living, both gil items and materials.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-12-09 12:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Karolann said:
As far as people seeing how you make your gil, surely you realize that you can minimize transactions seen here to 0, allowing no one other than yourself to know exactly what you've sold to make money.

You can limit yours yes but the items you sell will still show your name so no true way to avoid.
 Hades.Boogers
Server: Hades
user: Boogers
By Hades.Boogers 2008-12-09 12:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yakutatazu said:
Ok so you're saying now we have to have a mule to sell things to make ppl like you happy that want to buy the materials to craft? I don't see any sense in this only dealing on the ah idea you seem everyone has to follow. Maybe some ppl don't like others being able to see how they make gil.

Also if npcing for gil is a loop hole then why don't they get rid of things like charging for teleports or d2/retrace, etc.. You would have to think they are total morons to believe they didn't know that people would farm these things and sell them for gil. Npcing these items was not a loophole it was intended just not to the extent that happened. SE doesn't care how much gil we have they only care if they're getting paid and rmt selling gil for real money isn't them getting paid.

You're completely missing the point about why SE nerfed NPC prices. It has already been pointed out on previous posts that the act of farming to sell to NPCs (and only to NPCs) introduces gil into the economy at a significant rate -- be it by legitimate players or by RMT. (Just think, if you can make 40k/hr farming items X, Y, and Z, then the RMTs are likely doing the same.) I say significant because if it weren't, then the entire notion of RMT would not exist (what else could they possible "farm" or fish in order to mass produce gil in quantities large enough to sell to players?).
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-12-09 13:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I know why they did it. If you read what I said much earlier before this has gotten off topic. This thread was about how far is SE going to take it not what they nerfed at all. They are taking options away, like I said before this didn't hurt me I'll farm something else and earn gil in other ways as I already do.

And yes there was too much gil entering the economy but if you take away all the methods of obtaining it like they are you're going to end up with very little gil for the new players and make the bridge between them and long time players even harder to breach.

Too many ppl are worried about being the best and once they get there they don't like having to keep working hard to stay there. It's like they get up top and think no one else deserves the chance to compete for where they are. Yes they earned their spot but if they don't work to maintain their status they don't deserve to remain there.

Gil is constantly being put in the void with taxes from the ah and bazaars and other means so some new gil circulation is required. Yes you can argue that those taxes aren't as much as ppl get from npcing but then you have to consider ppl that quit, get banned or didn't make a payment and the gil that was lost from circulation there as well.
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-12-09 15:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Karolann said:
On the contrary, I used to farm things like Beast Blood amongst other things for profit. I know personally how fast I can rake in quick gil with NPCing things that sell for an abnormally high price considering how easy the item is to come by. But its a loophole. I wouldn't say it was evil, because it was a simple flaw in the game and it was easy to take advantage of. However, I was aware enough to realize that it wasn't a reliable thing to depend on for money. If something is "too good to be true", it probably is. And that was one thing that was just too easy for its own good. Those who made money easily this way should be happy they had the opportunity to take advantage of the flaw before it was finally taken care of. To complain that you can't go and make 40-50k an hour without touching the AH anymore is a little pointless.
Word. I made money off of Beast Blood and I currently make money off of reselling Monomi: Ichi scrolls to the AH. Quick gil is cool, but people who rely on it have no right to cry when it's gone.

The quoted post speaks to the disparity between a freedom and a loophole. The OP believes Beast Blood et al is a freedom, in that it was a farming option to make satisfying amounts of gil. The loss of this is seen as a loss of freedom in the game. But, I agree that it is a loophole, not a freedom, in that it really shouldn't be an option to the extent that it was.

What's more, real life farmers work very hard for generally modest profits and they are subject to more environmental disasters in the pursuit of their profits. The people making products from the farmer's materials make larger profits but arguably take on greater risk by virtue of investing in the presumed sale of their processed product. These two entities need each other to run effectively in real life. It doesn't quite work that way in FF very often, but I think the concept could easily be extrapolated.

Farming is great, but people expect too much out of it. This game is throttled in many ways to keep monthly fees rolling in and force you to pace yourself. And for those both hedonistic and entitled whom are unable to pace, it is a frustrating experience when things change.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-12-09 15:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I still fail to see how if this were truly a loophole as you say it is as to why SE waited so long to fix it. I don't even farm that stuff they gimped anymore, I only farm when I personally need something for crafting. But yes I do find it as a freedom. If SE had done more ie. tell us that it was an unintended way of making gil then I would be ok with it. Instead all they did was gimp it as part of a huge update w/o no reasoning behind it.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-12-09 15:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Boogers said:
You're completely missing the point about why SE nerfed NPC prices. It has already been pointed out on previous posts that the act of farming to sell to NPCs (and only to NPCs) introduces gil into the economy at a significant rate -- be it by legitimate players or by RMT. (Just think, if you can make 40k/hr farming items X, Y, and Z, then the RMTs are likely doing the same.) I say significant because if it weren't, then the entire notion of RMT would not exist (what else could they possible "farm" or fish in order to mass produce gil in quantities large enough to sell to players?).

And so does repeatable quests such as Tiger Fangs and Lady Bug wings. The real point is how far is SE going to go with this nerfing of gil from NPCs? There's very few ways to make gil by yourself without dumping millions of gil into a craft or joining an HNM shell. Not everyone wants to, or is able to, do those things.
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-12-09 16:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yakutatazu said:
I still fail to see how if this were truly a loophole as you say it is as to why SE waited so long to fix it.
How long did you wait to get your items auto-sorted? How long have you waited for a warp from Jeuno to WG? The list goes on, does it not? They have tiers of response to in-game issues, with feature improvements often being very ripe before they are addressed and emergencies addressed promptly. This is an issue that lies somewhere in between.

We can easily read between the lines here without a public address. They did not drop the price to nothing. So, it can be assumed that they aren't saying DON'T FARM THIS, they are saying that they are aware that it's being exploited en masse. This sort of exploitation is obviously important to them because their primary importance is to keep a stable economy while not alienating the users. Reducing the NPC price is a nudge, not a shove. It's just like when they adjust a job's power and people lovingly call it a nerf. It was likely something that promoted more balance in the game, not intended to be destruction of the job.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-12-09 17:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Whether it was bad programming/planning or anything the point is they didn't give any reasoning. I don't believe they were unaware of what people would do with the prices they set and drop rate. I believe they just did this as an anti-RMT method, Idc what they do really I just think it would be nice to justify things that affect a large portion of the FFXI population. I just wanted to know how far they will take this espc w/o any back feed to the players.

Many of you see my point many don't either way I'm tired of repeating/explaining so take it for what you get out of it then. Either way nothing is going to change.