99 Scholar What You Think?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » 99 Scholar What you think?
99 Scholar What you think?
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-03-10 11:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

@ The feet debate:

Shrewd's power is in the skill and damage.

Previously you had Goliard or Nashira for your resist build. Shrewd beats Goliard in damage an match/beats goliard in terms of accuracy (depending on dINT).

@ Kujata.Tsuki

The maths was done a long time ago, the ACP body IS the best nuking body for SCH. Its not massive, but nuking upgrades rarely are (See HQ weskit to Morrigan robe).

Same with the head (although BLM get some use out this), and the legs.

The ideal SCH probably does 1-2% more damage than they did this time last year, whereas the ideal BLM does less than 1% more.

@ Midgardsormr.Brayen:

There are very very few times where you will kill any mob (that is worth worrying about) with a few vollys from a BLM (possible exception being omega with a BLM 'zerg'). Most fights are against mobs with large amounts of HP so you need a efficient means to damage it. And atm SCH is the choice job (so long as they are geared for it).

Yes BLM get sleepga II, but personally I prefer to go RDM/BLM to dynamis and crowd control that way (fastcast, better self buffs, mp regeneration, more skill).

If I was building an alliance for nearly any mob where magic damage is a viable means of DD I would take SCH before BLM (assuming roughly equal gear) and that's coming from some one with BLM leveled.

IMO that's not how the game should be. Obviously that is how it is and I am going to use the SCHs I can get. But I think this is something SE needs to look at.

SCH should retain the Damage/MP crown, but BLM needs to close the gap through more damage or reduced MP spend.
 Kujata.Tsuki
user: Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 11:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Even excessive accuracy values, you will still miss occasionally due to the 95% acc cap. Which is why it only makes it more valid that these will outperform yigit overtime. Also, this should have went without mentioning, but the conserve mp return on these is even more relevant to Scholar due to the parsimony stratagem.

Edit:

@Argettio

Scholar can't use nashira. And I'd prefer to use blm over rdm for crowd control if I was choosing not to take sch. since blm can handle sleeps and damage. Not saying that rdm can't handle nuking, just not as efficiently as blm or scholar.

I'll give you the ACP body, no doubt it's the best for sch nuking, but again i think its really negligible considering what that body can offer to other jobs. the rest is really really marginal...

I get your point though, and I agree that while the gap between scholar and black mage is closing, or in some cases has been closed completely... BLM seems to be remaining the same, I honestly trust though, that BLM has some very interesting things coming its way. As much as I trust that Scholar may be adopting the white book much more often than the black.
 Midgardsormr.Brayen
Server: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Brayen 2010-03-10 11:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio

that really comes down to who the player is, a decent blm can do the job better then a decent sch, you really need a higher tier sch to equal the job of a decent blm. A blm and sch with equal gear is a bad comparison, since blm simply has better selection, you are basically saying a gimp blm or a pimp sch no? maybe depends on your definition here. As for the manabombing reply, if you are justifying angon and tomahawk as niches i think manabombing (not even mentiong the sleepgas) as more then a qualified niche. I just dont see a need for outclassing by yet another tier of stronger nukes, if you want yet another niche something like less enemity or something would be good, just dont see the high need to be best nuker and on top try to kick the only other nuker to buffs like you said or something else thats fairly meaningless, we arnt brd or cor, whm can cover a 29? or w/e phalanx dmg extra or w/e u want to call a buffer.

Tsuki
I am not sure what you are saying there. If magic acc is capped the ele skill on the boots become less useful, and you gain more form yigit. Conserv mp again will not save you the extra.. 89? or w/e mp cost of a thunder 4 unless u nuke 90 times b4 u rest, the numbers said 25 CMP = 7mp/100 i doubt 2 will change this someone feel free to prove me wrong ;/
EDIT: if the conserve mp was a factor (speaking for non resist set up) then you would also like cobra crackows which would b better for having more CMP
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-03-10 11:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Tsuki

The nashira comment was refereeing to BLM. For SCH Shrewd are simply just better resist build feet (more damage and more macc than goliard).

Midgardsormr.Brayen

Angon is useful in every fight in the game, as is feint. Tomahawk is more of a niche, but WAR is generally considered one of the best DDs in their own right.

The reason I want BLM to be the best nuker, is because it (by FF lore) the best nuker. I don't want to kick SCH to just a buffer, I think they should EXCEL at buffing while being capable nukers. ATM they EXCEL at both.
 Midgardsormr.Brayen
By Midgardsormr.Brayen 2010-03-10 12:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to see what makes sch this uber buffer considering we lack the best buff out there called haste lol.

I guess that is ur firm opinion tho and i don't see either of us budging so lets see where the updates take this game!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-10 12:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Brayen said:
I would like to see what makes sch this uber buffer considering we lack the best buff out there called haste lol.

I guess that is ur firm opinion tho and i don't see either of us budging so lets see where the updates take this game!
The word "subjob" springs to mind when I think about SCH buffing at level 99.

Of course, WHM and RDM could do the same /SCH...
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-03-10 12:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Brayen said:

The lack of haste is an issue for SCH (about the only one) but you will soon (lvl 80 if you /whm 96 if you /rdm).

'Best' buffer maybe the wrong wording, the most unique buffer or the most diverse buffer maybe a better way of putting it. Being able to -ga buffs normally reserved for mages was something only SMN could do, and SCH does it a lot better than SMN.

But agreed, this is all a rather moot debate as we don't know anything about the up coming updates or how the game will progress to 99 (and tbh probably at this point SE doesnt either)
 Midgardsormr.Brayen
By Midgardsormr.Brayen 2010-03-10 12:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply

well i was mentioning in terms of now, but ya later on everyone can do it which i mentioned earlier as well, native sch has storms and pro/shell only i just don't see them being made out to being this "uber" buffer ever short of haste II and accession or something. at best 3rd string healer sadly ;/

in b4 haste is nerfed as sub and cant be accessioned to boot!

EDIT: ya need to fast forward these updates lol bet blm ends up best melee and thf best nuker...this is SE after all
[+]
 Bismarck.Xeres
Server: Bismarck
user: Xeres
By Bismarck.Xeres 2010-03-19 11:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

wow SCH got 1~2% damage increase and BLM got 1%? so we either stayed the same or came 1% closer, and it took THREE pieces of gear to do it. Quit crying over Scholar vs. Black Mage. It's proven that on more Endgame events that Black Mage will out preform Scholar resist wise. That directly funnels into damage over time. A extremely well geared Scholar will match up with a slightly higher then average Black Mage damage wise if resists are not a problem. The moment that mobs start resisting, SCH has to drop damage for ACC and INT. At that point the same extremely well geared SCH will be on par for an ~average~ BLM. Blow for blow we may come close but will NEVER surpass BLMs. Period.
[+]
 Fenrir.Omgwtftaru
user: kivyin
By Fenrir.Omgwtftaru 2010-03-22 20:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I want a stratagem that extends the duration like Composure! Q_q
Or doubles the effects of enhancing spells?!
Klimaform, weather, pro/shell, phalanx, SS, etc :o
I'm just throwing my wacky ideas. Please don't hurt me! :(
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-22 21:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

YOUR IDEAS ARE TERRIBLE ARRRRRRRRRRGH GET OUT

<3

Doubles effects would be just a little bit broken since you guys will get Haste in a few months, but double duration would be pretty cool.
[+]
 Fenrir.Omgwtftaru
user: kivyin
By Fenrir.Omgwtftaru 2010-03-22 21:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah, double effects would be very broken lol. But it sounds so amazing! :(
What abouttt a stratagem that combines spells like Bind and Blizzard IV.

...ok ignore me lol.
[+]
 Kujata.Slayerdna
user: SlayerDNA
By Kujata.Slayerdna 2010-03-22 21:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

My SCH~ @ HNMS/everything(not much exp with it on wyrms so not taking them into ac)

Out DMGs BLMs(very easy)

My set is not complete
(I have acp body with the works for resist but never ever use it cause my current setup gets little to no resist)

Currently upgrading legs/feet and maybe some other things... still testing allot~

The reason why sch does more DMG(and more DPS) is the weather paired with ebullience. If BLM had a constant weather effect it will and easily out perform a sch

EDIT: And yes My sch is always in latent mode(and sitting on a 360+ Subli pool, might be more actually don't remem*^^*)

EDIT: SCH/BLM is sex(but only when you have a reliable rdm)
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2010-03-30 04:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

-8 macc and with less native elemental skill, i assume you only nuke on non resistant mobs with that, cuz i am going to find it hard to believe that does well on anything slightly resistant, should define what "everything" is.
Also if your blm can not out nuke u on a 1nuke vs 1nuke then they seriously are bad (no offense)
 Bismarck.Yor
Server: Bismarck
user: poff
By Bismarck.Yor 2010-03-30 05:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

@Slayerdna

I'm not a sch fun but you probably should get an errant/mahatma body and toss that craphardie for more consistent dmg -8 macc is always bad.
Kujata.Slayerdna said:
Out DMGs BLMs(very easy)

Bad blms are bad.
 Fairy.Yunachan
Server: Fairy
user: Yunachan
By Fairy.Yunachan 2010-03-30 06:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn said:
-8 macc and with less native elemental skill, i assume you only nuke on non resistant mobs with that, cuz i am going to find it hard to believe that does well on anything slightly resistant, should define what "everything" is.
Also if your blm can not out nuke u on a 1nuke vs 1nuke then they seriously are bad (no offense)

Definitely true....
If u look at my nuke set (standard one) I have much more macc/elemental skill than u have in that set, and on hnm or high resistent mob, the chance to get resisted is like 50%.
With the resistence set, it's a different story....
The morgana is good just for pudding =P
Moreover, instead of using ebullance, u should use parsimony, that gives you the chance to casts 2 TIV at the price of one, even if they are less effective as dmg... that's math XD
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [57 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Yurisaki
Server: Asura
user: Yurisaki
By Asura.Yurisaki 2010-05-26 16:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

You can see the inclusion of spells like

Libra
Confuse
Berserk
Toad

they all in the game so id presume they will be useable now
 Ragnarok.Ezzi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Serey
By Ragnarok.Ezzi 2010-05-26 17:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
No offence to SCH, but I hope SCH doesn't get the same tier of nuke as BLM. IMO it should be: * BLM VI (although that would mean 12 spells in 24 levels, which seems a lot) * SCH V * RDM IV * DRK III The line between BLM and SCH is already very blurry and there is a strong argument for SCH being the stronger nuker while also clearly more MP efficient. For BLM to retain its crown as the nuking job, it needs at least a tier of spells above the nearest rival, or something else that will allow them to complete with SCH. This could mean a boost in MP efficiency or a boost in damage (to improve damage/mp). As for what SCH should get, they will need a new Stratagem or 2 as they are likely to have lost their AOE niche. More Helixs would be good. I doubt you will get RR3 unless WHM get RR4 (*Dripples*).

Well.. SCH can nuke as well as, if not better than a BLM. So i dont see why they cant get T5 nukes. i mean at the moment my BLM punches 1.5k Thunder IV on mt zhayolm and my SCH 1.7k Thunder IV on mount zhayolm. So they need something to up the game a bit, no point in updating SCH if all your gonna get is something useless like "Regen III" SCH can be powerful and if you dont abuse the power you get nowhere *shrug* just my two cents

Edit: BLM will always be good in its own right as it has access to Ancient Magic whereas SCH doesnt. This is where Black mage will always shine as a nuker, and dont forget BLM will be getting meteor

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-28 06:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Actually it was proven that even a completely naked 75 sch still has better dot over an incredibly well geared blm.

Where? By who? I'd be interested in seeing this

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-28 07:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

that's better mp efficiency, not better dot
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-05-28 07:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

And more nukes before you run out of MP = higher dot.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-28 07:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

higher dot=higher dot

enough mp refresh+good hmp sets can greatly mitigate the efficiency issue

they are separate areas

for example, if a scholar uses 1 mp to do 35 damage, he is operating at a very high level of efficiency. but if this spell uses 2 mp, does 70 damage, and has a 30 second cast time, he is losing the dot battle

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-28 07:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

The more mp I have, the less I need to rest to put out considerable damage over time with more nukes since the only amount of nuking one can do is with as much MP as they have.

And there is Average Damage to MP ratios x time data there

see above

damage to mp ratio x time measures mp efficiency, not pure dot
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-05-28 07:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

higher dot=higher dot

enough mp refresh good hmp sets can greatly mitigate the efficiency issue

If it's a situation where you can burn all your mp as fast as possible, sch will get more nukes off, so it's higher dot.
Why is that so hard to see?
I'm a blm myself, but I dont see a reason to pretend BLM is better than SCH in every possible way, because it's not true.
Highly dependant on what you nuke and your situation.
Is hate gonna be an issue? Just trying to burn something down aasp? How resistant is the mob?
Both are excellent nukers.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-28 07:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

higher dot=higher dot

enough mp refresh good hmp sets can greatly mitigate the efficiency issue

If it's a situation where you can burn all your mp as fast as possible, sch will get more nukes off, so it's higher dot.
Why is that so hard to see?
I'm a blm myself, but I dont see a reason to pretend BLM is better than SCH in every possible way, because it's not true.
Highly dependant on what you nuke and your situation.
Is hate gonna be an issue? Just trying to burn something down aasp? How resistant is the mob?
Both are excellent nukers.

of course it's situational. i would also never argue between the two as far as which is better overall.

BUT HE SPECIFIED THE SITUATION. naked sch vs. dressed to the nines blm, pure dot.

in the situation he specified, he's wrong.
 Siren.Cordareo
Server: Siren
user: Cordareo
By Siren.Cordareo 2010-05-31 17:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This may seem kinda weird, but, anyone thought about

Manifestation > Absorb-INT?

:D

Go go +100~ INT in dyna

Edit: Not sure though if you can stack the +INT absorbed with manifestation, Here's to hoping you can for fun :)
 Quetzalcoatl.Wyuli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Wyuli
By Quetzalcoatl.Wyuli 2010-05-31 18:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope. I believe you can apply the INT down debuff across manifestation, but you will only reap the benefit of a single casting.

I've tried Absorb-VITga....followed up with Stunga in Besieged, for hilarious (and instant death) results. My VIT for that one moment only rose up +14 or so iirc.