Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI is pretty much dead
FFXI is pretty much dead
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Gilgamesh.Ittoryu
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
By Gilgamesh.Ittoryu 2009-12-10 12:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that most of the people that created such a friendly environment in FFXI have quit the game, leaving only mostly selfish people left. I remember a few years back when all you had to do was shout for help and get help almost immediately. Nowadays you won't get help unless people need it as well. What are your thoughts?
[+]
 Alexander.Nepharite
Server: Alexander
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2009-12-10 12:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I just replied to a random shout for help in wg and helped some random person, sucks to be on your server.

~edit: then again its only 1:40pm est usually hard to get help at this time of day. (could be the reason)
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-12-10 12:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, I think you're looking at FFXI's past through rose-tinted glasses.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-10 12:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Ittoryu said:
I think that most of the people that created such a friendly environment in FFXI have quit the game, leaving only mostly selfish people left. I remember a few years back when all you had to do was shout for help and get help almost immediately. Nowadays you won't get help unless people need it as well. What are your thoughts?
Someone asked me to help with Moogle final mission yesterday and I said I would. *shrug*

Your server sucks.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Ittoryu
By Gilgamesh.Ittoryu 2009-12-10 12:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao i never said I was asking for help atm and shouted, I dont ask anymore because I know noone will help. And just because the two of you have helped, that isn't very much. I guarantee that most people wont help.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-10 12:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Ittoryu said:
I dont ask anymore because I know noone will help.
Well thats a problem right there. Why not make friends and help them instead of expecting everyone in the game to cater to your every request when you want it?
Gilgamesh.Ittoryu said:
And just because the two of you have helped, that isn't very much.
I know there are more people out there than just us two >.>;
Gilgamesh.Ittoryu said:
I guarantee that most people wont help.
See response #1.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Ittoryu
By Gilgamesh.Ittoryu 2009-12-10 12:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

okay i have made friends and they do help, what I'm saying is the shouting part, back then strangers would help. Nowadays, don't even get your hopes up.
 Alexander.Nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2009-12-10 12:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

well if you don't ask, definitely no one will help, but there is always a chance some bored schmuck will be out there willing to help.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-12-10 12:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

That's one side of the coin in my opinion. There are still nice people around, but I agree they can be harder to find. There's always going to be selfish people. There are always going to be generous people. I just think the selfish and other not-so-nice qualities of people are easier to spot.
I am behind on a lot of missions, but I only have myself to blame for that. I'm sure if I took the initiative to get them done I probably could find people to help. People will help, but a lot of people won't. 2 sides; same coin.

A lot of my friends have quit, too. It's hard cause I usually prefer a small group than a lot, but if you look hard you can find good quality people.
 Bismarck.Xenshi
Server: Bismarck
user: Xenshi
By Bismarck.Xenshi 2009-12-10 12:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure why everyone brings this subject up. If your looking for help you should have enough friends by now that help you and vice versa. True you need more help but that's usually where a linkshell you have comes in handy. And it also depends on your reputation..if your known for being an a-hole people aren't gonna help, but if people know your cool usually they hit you with a /tell fairly fast if they're not doin anything.
 Alexander.Nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2009-12-10 12:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Tallulah on this. You can find people willing to help, but you have to take initiative on it. Everything isn't going to just work out on its own by sitting in your MH or looking for shouts in town.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Ittoryu
By Gilgamesh.Ittoryu 2009-12-10 12:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

i agree there are still nice people around, but as you said its pretty dam hard to find. I don't really care about the fact that most people don't want to help anymore, just wanted to point out my observations.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-10 12:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Ittoryu said:
lmao i never said I was asking for help atm and shouted, I dont ask anymore because I know noone will help.
Self-fulfilling prophecy.
[+]
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2009-12-10 12:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think it's dead yet, but I do agree that many of the nicer players have left. Most of the major updates are designed towards a progressively smaller amount of the way-too-hardcore people; the people who use each other and create drama just to be the first to have the newest piece of shiny armor. Not that they actually need the stuff, they just want people in Whitegate to acknowledge them.

The proof is on the websites for all of those end-game shells out there. Many of them specifically state that they will only accept people who already have access to every area, high-end gear, and several fully merited jobs, and they will not help anyone complete missions to gain access to that stuff.

If you can't get help, you can't pass these missions. If you haven't passed those missions, end-game shells won't accept you. If the end-game shells won't help, there will be fewer and fewer people bothering to play. Rinse, repeat. Death of mmo.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-10 12:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Turns out most the players in ffxi are not pyschic. So if you want help on something you are gunna have to do a shout or send some tells to some friends
[+]
 Lakshmi.Bshizzle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Brucio
By Lakshmi.Bshizzle 2009-12-10 13:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I help people when I can because I like doing it and making friends, but I have a feeling the OP is someone who doesn't help others.
[+]
 Fairy.Maimed
Server: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-12-10 13:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how people whine about never getting help and yet they never make the effort to go out of their way to selflessly assist others in their time of need. The reason people don't help strangers anymore, other than sheer boredom, is that a lot of people are jaded by the sheer shadiness displayed by the lootwhores and other selfish types that run around on the server.

When's the last time you camped a NM with your buddy or helped someone do a quest/mission and the moment you needed some help they were too busy all of a sudden?

Btw the original statement wasn't intended to attack anyone on this thread. I just see this ***all the time in both ls chat and people on my friends list who complain I'm never available to help them out with stuff, yet the relationship we share is one of us clearly does nothing but TAKE and isn't willing to put their own personal interests aside for the benefit of others, not even once. It's probably why I clean up my friends list every couple of months.

I have a few friends that are willing to do anything, anytime. Truth is, our gaming community has gotten smaller and it's a lot harder to get things accomplished with random groups nowadays. Your best bet is to rely on friends. And if you're going to harass your linkshell for help, at least have the common decency to say "hey before I farm does anyone need help with anything?" because nothing is more annoying than the guy who begs for help and conveniently disappears when it's their turn to return the favor.

</rant> LOL, sorry I really needed to get that out of my system =D
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-12-10 13:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I do everything myself, except circle jerks, I need more hands for that.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Ittoryu
By Gilgamesh.Ittoryu 2009-12-10 13:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't need to prove that I'm always helpful, my friends know it and that's all that matters. I was just posting this as an observation, I don't deserve all these attacks on me. Good day.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Mairah
user: Mairah
By Gilgamesh.Mairah 2009-12-10 13:18:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I can agree that its hard to get help for missions and things like that, but I've helped two different sets of people camp 2 different NMs within the last two weeks. one of them was someone I had in a random party, and the other was someone in my friend's linkshell. There are people that will help, you just have to find them.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-12-10 13:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

nobody wants to find people, buncha lazy ***. Just because your bed fellows are gone, doesn't mean you can't make new friends. Save the whining for WoW or FagleStory.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-10 13:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Put up an ad in craigslist!
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-12-10 13:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Put up an ad in craigslist!
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-12-10 13:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sketchkat said:
If you can't get help, you can't pass these missions. If you haven't passed those missions, end-game shells won't accept you. If the end-game shells won't help, there will be fewer and fewer people bothering to play. Rinse, repeat. Death of mmo.

The idea behind endgame linkshells not helping with stuff like that is because in order to effectively participate in endgame content you need a certain amount of experience with the game, and you need quick access to certain areas. There is absolutely nothing more frustrating than claiming a NM and then someone in your ls can't even figure out how to get there to help you. At then endgame level, linkshells should not have to babysit their members. That's why it's called endgame.

I remember the days of running a sky linkshell a few years back. Most of my members, while nice people and good players, had no clue how to navigate the areas. To counteract this, I'd have everyone meet up at a designated area (normally right where you zoned in from Hall of the Gods, since most of them didnt have crag warps at that time) and we'd all move in a group to wherever we were going. Even still, we'd almost always have someone get lost, meaning we'd have to turn around and go find them. This type of ***turned events into long, dragged-out processes where very little was actually accomplished. This type of *** (while ok for sky/sea linkshells where time is not of the essence) would never fly in a good HNMLS.

Today members in my linkshell are entirely self-sufficient. The same event that might've taken us three to four hours a few years ago is now done in a quarter of the time. We get in, do our thing, get out, and move on to the next event. It's a degree of precision that only comes through experience, and that is what good endgame linkshells require from their members.

There are plenty of other places to learn this stuff before you go looking for serious endgame linkshells.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-12-10 13:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you get to Ulli, again?
 Fairy.Maimed
Server: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-12-10 13:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny how getting to Byakko almost always seems to be a clusterfuck of "zomg open yellow, now blue, go go go! ____ just got aggro" when it's simple.. keep silent oils on you, pop a new one away from weapons..

Yet I still see people die to this all the time. You can give someone an E.body and Ridll, but you'll never be able to rid them of their noob roots.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-12-10 13:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI is dying, someone give it CPR, or maybe an expansion that closes off the game.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-12-10 13:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
FFXI is dying, someone give it CPR, or maybe an expansion that closes off the game.
ending credits?
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-10 13:57:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tallulah said:
How do you get to Ulli, again?
ALT+F4 is the secret way. Instant warp there.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-12-10 13:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I pity people who live their internet or rl lives "Today its all gonna be over, I'm gonna die soon D=" cause yeah...you will EVENTUALLY die, but its not gonna be as soon as you think.
First Page 2 3 4 5