How Did You Come Up With Your Name?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How did you come up with your name?
How did you come up with your name?
First Page 2 3
By Felgarr 2023-09-11 18:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Simple question. How did you come up with your character/forum name?

I'll go first. When I was kid, I used to play this D&D game called "Pool of Radiance" at my uncle's house. Felgar is the name of one of the NPC's you have an option to hire in your party. (You don't have to, you can make your own party if you don't want to pay for this NPC's in-battle services. He got a cut of the EXP and loot that dropped).
[+]
By Tanag 2023-09-11 19:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fresh of the heels of FFX I just used my real name translated to Al Bhed. The pinnacle of originality.

It ended up being quite handy. I've used it online since and its never already taken.
[+]
 Bahamut.Angenard
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Anaurine
By Bahamut.Angenard 2023-09-11 19:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Pressed the "+" option for random generated names and first one I saw I pressed proceed.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ferthe
Server: Bismarck
user: erth
By Bismarck.Ferthe 2023-09-11 19:27:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Back in 2003 Day one of the NA PC launch. First try was Fenrir, it was unavailable. Then Fenris, taken. Then I started spit balling... Ferris, taken... Ferth, bingo. Not sure why I was so tied to the Fe start, but I've been Ferth for 20 years and across like 10 different online services now.

I transferred from leviathan to bismarck after a really long hiatus to play with some friends I'd made in other games and someone had squatted on my name, so now it is Ferthe.
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
Server: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2023-09-11 19:37:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Pressed the "+" option for random generated names and first one I saw I pressed proceed.

I did this as well but the name it gave me was much, much longer and goofier so I cut it down to just the first two syllables: Sahzi.

I wish to hell I could remember my full name...it was something like Sahziquletor or something insane like that.

..but unfortunately the root of my name is forever lost to the ages...
By Josiahafk 2023-09-11 19:38:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Used to play a game called Tales of Legendia a lot with my old roommate, so the name Legendia for all my characters stuck because we had a lot of great times together.

Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-09-11 20:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

For those who only know me from the forum: my character is a female Tarutaru. When I made my character I thought it was hilarious to see "Maletaru parries the Huge Hornet's attack with her weapon." or "Maletaru invites you to her party."

Granted it was almost 20 years ago, but I was still old enough to know this isn't a very funny joke. It's stuck with me though and I'd never change it.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-09-12 04:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I just thought it sounded good and Japanese-y.

Although, it turns out:
•Sen = 千 (thousand)
•Aki = 秋 (Autumn)

In Japanese.

So my name kind means ‘three autumns’ in Japanese.

Senaki is also a Georgian town in the middle of no where.

So take your pick.
 Asura.Hellsmasher
Server: Asura
By Asura.Hellsmasher 2023-09-12 05:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Smasher of hell enuff said
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-09-12 05:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

My name is simply a number, in german. The number "six".
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-12 05:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

A friend who hadn't played in a while gave me their account named Thorny when I got my first character banned, and the name grew on me. I was(am?) a pretty abrasive individual so I feel like it fits me pretty well, perhaps better than it fit them in the first place.
[+]
By Mattelot 2023-09-12 06:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It was my grandmother's name.

No seriously, when I was young, I used to love the story of King Arthur and the knights of the round table. So it became an amalgamation of my name and Lancelot.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2023-09-12 07:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a rare, unique, ancient, weird-by-modern-standards real life name, which has been passed onto me from a six times removed ancestor, by an overly traditional family member. Fortunately, as a kid I was unable to pronounce it and so I babbled my way into a form that is modernly not awkward. Then teenage me decided it was good to use online as a nickname, and it stuck.
 Carbuncle.Slib
user: Slib
By Carbuncle.Slib 2023-09-12 07:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Dragon Quest Monsters here
https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Slib

Little guy was your starting character. I took him all the way to the end! Poor thing couldn't learn MegaMagic as his level cap was too low.
[+]
 Shiva.Mewtwo
user: aisukage
By Shiva.Mewtwo 2023-09-12 07:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

My first character name was "Aisukage" got that trying to come up with a name I was like 15 currently watching Naruto at the time. So I wanted "Something-Kage" but not one of Naruto 5-kages. Some online site said "Aisu" = "Ice" and I thought that sounded cool and so I went with it. Wasn't till many years later a friend who spoke Japanese informed me. Aisu while it does technically mean Ice. It's the name for ice in "Ice-Cream" where Kori is the real version of Ice I was looking for. Anyways all my online friends call me "Aisu" and been using it since. Then for this account I was just trying different favourite pokemon and Mewtwo wasn't taken.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dajjal
By Bahamut.Dajjal 2023-09-12 07:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted a name that came from religious text similar to the names of NPCs in FFXI. I stumbled upon Al-Masih ad-Dajjal (or simply Dajjal) and went with it figuring Square Enix would never use it.

However there is fire breathing Galka named Dahjal who appears whenever a city is in first. Bastok was in first so seldom that it took me years to ever see him in my hometown.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2023-09-12 09:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

auto generate after the 30 tries before failed then i started to make character names based on feeling like MatsuiIsGarbage
then i moved on to the STD force Gonnomaria Hepatidus Clamydiana
Herpulese and other weird ***like Sideboob Buckfutter Proctologasm
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-09-12 09:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lili said: »
I have a rare, unique, ancient, weird-by-modern-standards real life name, which has been passed onto me from a six times removed ancestor, by an overly traditional family member. Fortunately, as a kid I was unable to pronounce it and so I babbled my way into a form that is modernly not awkward. Then teenage me decided it was good to use online as a nickname, and it stuck.

Come on, my guy. It's story time. :popcorn:
By Felgarr 2023-09-12 09:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
auto generate after the 30 tries before failed then i started to make character names based on feeling like MatsuiIsGarbage
then i moved on to the STD force Gonnomaria Hepatidus Clamydiana
Herpulese and other weird ***like Sideboob Buckfutter Proctologasm

This is hysterical but I would not say any of those names in Discord, even with a gun to my head.
 Shiva.Cerderic
user: Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-09-12 09:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerderic is actually a typo of Cederic. I was rapidly creating and deleting characters trying to get on Shiva. Eventually I got a gold pass from someone and of course in my haste, typo'd the name. I actually didn't notice for a few days because I was in such a hurry to catch up. I was upset at first but it works out because Cerderic is always available and my go-to for online games now.
 Carbuncle.Darkbewd
user: DarkBEWD
By Carbuncle.Darkbewd 2023-09-12 10:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Before FFXI, I was extremely butthurt that they made evil versions of this guy and other big boss guys from around that era, before/without making this guy. So I made this name on one of the big TCG forums to go complain about it.

When I was making this character, I decided to use this name again in case I ended up bumping into any of those forum users, and also because I could repurpose it from Dark Blue-Eyes White Dragon as Dark Brown-Eyed White Dude.
 Unicorn.Ixn
Server: Unicorn
user: unknown
By Unicorn.Ixn 2023-09-12 10:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

How I came up with this name is by chanting:
"Painis weaknessleavingthebody"
other than that idk.
 Quetzalcoatl.Stoutheart
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Stoutheart 2023-09-12 10:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I was considering starting a new character so I could get things done. My original character was running through CoP before the uncapped days. One of the CSs in Sacrarium had a line in it that said "stout heart" in it.

I immediately went and created my new character.
 Bahamut.Zedoma
user: zedoma
By Bahamut.Zedoma 2023-09-12 10:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.ffxiah.com/item/14801/zedomas-earring
Deleted my original character when I returned in 2021 to start fresh and named myself after this earring as it was a item I always wanted. Drop took 6 months doing ENM every 5 days.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Scullie
user: scullie
By Carbuncle.Scullie 2023-09-12 12:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

One of the guys I worked with and played with said I should name my character Franknbeans.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2023-09-12 12:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I invented the name "Onorgul" when I was 9 or 10 years old. By pure coincidence, it's apparently a Mongolian surname.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Samuraiking
user: bossgalka
By Carbuncle.Samuraiking 2023-09-12 12:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I was like 13 years old, I liked Samurais, Samurai was a job in the game on the box when I bought it... not much else to say.

Ironically, I didn't actually enjoy Samurai that much during the 75 era. MNK was my first job to 75, DRK was my favorite, a few years later, especially during sea/HNMs, BLM was my most played, followed by PLD. SAM didn't get much use and I never liked it, it just didn't have a particularly great playstyle or a lot going on at the time.

Since I've come back a couple years ago, now, the game has changed a lot and all DDs are far less boring, everyone can 5-step etc. SAM is probably one of the strongest selfish DPS there is. Hybrids destroy stuff, able to rip massive 99k Jinpus pretty often in a fully stacked Dynamis run and so on. It's still not quite my favorite, PUP and DRK are still in that spot for me, but I enjoy Samurai quite a bit now.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-09-12 12:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

My name is Nick

I am from East New York,

The end
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-09-12 12:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Idril Celebrindal was the daughter to the King Turgon of Gondolin, and mother of Earendil- The Mariner (you've all seen my spamming of sailboat ***I'm sure). And while I am and play a male character, I liked the three-way connection to me:

1. Something from the world of Tolkien, but not overused.

2. Connection to something seafaring.

3. wordplay on how my ex-wife called me a leadfoot (was still married when I started XI)- "Celebrindal" means "Silver-Foot".
[+]
 Lakshmi.Kathee
Server: Lakshmi
user: Brei
By Lakshmi.Kathee 2023-09-12 13:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

On Garuda, it used to be Darlin.

Then the ban hammer came for salvage, then I made a new character and called her Brie.

We were imported to Lakshmi, then I became Kathee. my rl name is Kathleen, Kathy for short.
[+]
First Page 2 3