How Did You Come Up With Your Name?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How did you come up with your name?
How did you come up with your name?
By Felgarr 2023-09-12 14:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
My name is Nick

I am from East New York,

The end

I hope Nicholas Cage plays you in the live adaption of the NCU (Nick Cinematic Universe).
[+]
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Neojuggernautx 2023-09-12 14:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The “Juggernaut ***” was big when I started playing. I wanted that to be my name. SE had different plans :( The “x” was added when I came to Asura 10 years ago. Some jerk that quit long before still exists with my name!!
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-09-12 14:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Server hopped a lot over the years: Garuda > Fairy > Shiva > Bahamut > Asura. A few different characters.

Along the way one of these was a female toon. I didn't think much of it when I created it, F was the only Mithra option anyway. It was still the running joke that all mithra were men and I figured that was a common understanding. Boy I was wrong.

A few creepo encounters, sometimes I just let it go on a little bit before disclosing I was a dude and that was sometimes hilarious. The straw was when someone in my exp party proceeded to go into graphic detail about how bad her period was and I just...didn't want to hear that. I have a lot of sisters and it really doesn't bother me or gross me out, but the verbiage was a bit much in this instance.

I'm still 50/50 on whether or not I was being trolled, but whatever the case is, I figured I'd make it abundantly clear for the future. It made for some entertaining Discord moments when people would say the full name, as well.
By Blazed1979 2023-09-12 15:08:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
Simple question. How did you come up with your character/forum name?
YouTube Video Placeholder
By Draylo 2023-09-12 15:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Originally I had my characters name as Ultima on Asura. I somehow managed to get that name in a FF game.. but that just shows how long ago it was. Obviously it was because the spell was so cool in previous games but I made an Elvaan and I absolutely became to despise playing as one when I made it to lv75 BLM lol. I hated the way they squatted to summon, the dagger poses, the casting almost everything about it.

So I decided to remake my character from scratch and made a hume. At the time I decided to do this I was playing Star Wars Galaxies also. So in that game I was making a new character in the name generator and "Draylo Kaar" came up and I thought it sounded kinda cool. So I tried to pick that name for SWG and it was taken lol, so I just took the first name of that and decided to make my new FF character and the rest was history.

Before I came to that name I tried to make a lot of diff races/characters with some questionable names... I think at one point "Akutenshi" was a name I was thinking of, but then someone told me it sounded like a vaginal disease lol. I don't know why I was so fixated on remaking a new character but it worked out in the end.
[+]
By Viertel 2023-09-12 15:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I write music, mostly for wind ensemble and orchestral arrangements. It's a big part of who I am, and I wanted a name that would reflect it without being too obvious (i.e. I've had characters in other games named normal music terms -- Maestoso, Prestissimo, Larghissimo, Semibreve, Vivacissimo, etc.) this time around and wanted something unique.

I landed on Viertelhaineka

Viertel = shortened form for German for quarter note (Viertel Note)

Haineka = I can't remember which language it was, but I wanted something that translated to beat, steps, etc. I think it was also referencing the flow of water also. It wasn't exactly Haineka, I think I changed the last letter to A and don't remember why; it wasn't originally spelled Haineka.

Viertel Haineka / Viertelhaineka (depends on game and if surname is allowed).

It was a five minute decision while stuck at the character creation screen, googling, and going "Yeah OK, that works for me" back on NA launch for PC ages ago. It's just stuck since then and become a name I fall back to for online personas -- I've never, ever seen anyone with the same name so it works out.
[+]
 Bahamut.Mhysa
Server: Bahamut
user: Nathoo
By Bahamut.Mhysa 2023-09-12 16:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I read all of Game of Thrones when I was younger, and I also watched GOT when it came out. I picked "Mhysa" because my friends have always said I am "the mom of the group" so I went with it. Now, will I go insane? I hope not. I hope my life isn't dictated by terrible writing.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-09-12 16:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mhysa said: »
I read all of Game of Thrones when I was younger, and I also watched GOT when it came out. I picked "Mhysa" because my friends have always said I am "the mom of the group" so I went with it. Now, will I go insane? I hope not. I hope my life isn't dictated by terrible writing.

can't go insane if you start there, dear^^
[+]
 Asura.Ogoncho
By Asura.Ogoncho 2023-09-12 18:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

O Goncho or O-gon-cho, is a Japanese white dragon which lives in a deep pool, called Ukisima. Ukisima is near Kyoto, at a place called Yama-shiro. Every fifty years the dragon changes into a golden bird. The cry of the bird is an omen of famine.
 Asura.Ogoncho
By Asura.Ogoncho 2023-09-12 18:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

O Goncho or O-gon-cho, is a Japanese white dragon which lives in a deep pool, called Ukisima. Ukisima is near Kyoto, at a place called Yama-shiro. Every fifty years the dragon changes into a golden bird. The cry of the bird is an omen of famine.
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-09-12 19:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ogoncho said: »

That's terrifying.
By Felgarr 2023-09-12 19:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
My name is Nick

I am from East New York,

The end

I hope Nicholas Cage plays you in the live adaption of the NCU (Nick Cinematic Universe).

Also, Nick, every time you +1 someone's post, it shows the eggplant emoji and I just assume you're calling that person a d*ck. Could you change it to something else? Haha ....or you could make 3 characters with "E", "A", "T","A","Eggplant" and give a post 5 likes. :)
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2023-09-12 19:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Tanag said: »
Fresh of the heels of FFX I just used my real name translated to Al Bhed. The pinnacle of originality.
Actually quite otignal!!! You rock!

I just spun the RNG till I saw something that came close to being likeable and tweaked it.
 Ragnarok.Siyual
Server: Ragnarok
user: Siyual
By Ragnarok.Siyual 2023-09-12 20:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

When I first got the game, I was super indecisive on the name and race. I literally spent about 2 hours going back and forth trying to make my character, and I still couldn't figure out a name.

My sister, who had been waiting her turn to make her character, got tired of waiting and literally said "sigh, you'll never actually play at this rate."

So I went with the first two words she said: "sigh" and "you'll," and just made the spelling unique.
 Asura.Anybody
user: Sisqo
By Asura.Anybody 2023-09-12 22:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I just thought it would be funny when people would ask for something having someone in the group called "Anybody".

"Can anybody raise me, please?"
"Nah bro, I am on SAM"
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2023-09-12 22:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This was originally meant to be a wild onion farming alt. I didn't want to be a "bad thief" cause I was a good little religious boy at the time, so I wanted to be a thief with honor. And eventually was reading up on things and accuracy was a huge issue and mithra had the most dex, so I opted to change my main to the mithra character I had.
By fillerbunny9 2023-09-13 07:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

my original character was Tenkai on Asura, named for the Star of Destiny for the main character for the first two Suikoden games. I quit shortly after CoP, came back during ToAU, and as my friend was on Alexander (and I couldn't reactivate my original) I started fresh there, and needed to select Chikatsu, as Tenkai was unavailable. this name is also for one of the Stars of Destiny from Suikoden, and this trend has been continued for alts.
 Bahamut.Psychodwarf
By Bahamut.Psychodwarf 2023-09-13 07:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Mine comes from my D&D days back in high school. Charging headlong into any situation with no regard for anyone or anything else. It's always just kinda stuck.
By Felgarr 2023-09-13 09:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
This was originally meant to be a wild onion farming alt. I didn't want to be a "bad thief" cause I was a good little religious boy at the time, so I wanted to be a thief with honor. And eventually was reading up on things and accuracy was a huge issue and mithra had the most dex, so I opted to change my main to the mithra character I had.

Lady of Wild Onion, much nicer ring to it in my opinion.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-09-13 12:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, Nick, every time you +1 someone's post, it shows the eggplant emoji and I just assume you're calling that person a d*ck. Could you change it to something else? Haha ....or you could make 3 characters with "E", "A", "T","A","Eggplant" and give a post 5 likes. :)

Ima change it to a clown face :P

Ahhh good times

Ill try to put some effort into something new - give me some time
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-09-13 12:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »

Blazed from this?
By fillerbunny9 2023-09-13 14:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed from this?
click through and his character name is Primex
 Leviathan.Aqeeb
Server: Leviathan
user: Aqeeb
By Leviathan.Aqeeb 2023-09-13 17:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I used the RNG until I came across Aqeeb, immediately thought of The Simpsons and in my best Apu accent "My name is Aqeeb, I work at the Kwik-E Mart" I had a chuckle and Aqeeb was born.
 Asura.Cariko
user: Kariko
By Asura.Cariko 2023-09-13 23:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Originally "Kariko" on Fenrir. The basic JP romaji version of "Calico," given I was going to be a cat lady. Eventually moved to Leviathan, then Asura where I was "Kogara" for some time before discovering that "Cariko" ("close enough I guess!") was apparently not taken, so I did a discount campaign swap to claim it.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2023-09-14 04:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Aqeeb said: »
I used the RNG until I came across Aqeeb, immediately thought of The Simpsons and in my best Apu accent "My name is Aqeeb, I work at the Kwik-E Mart" I had a chuckle and Aqeeb was born.
Aqeeb can be interpreted as Punisher by the way, from Arabic.
By Blazed1979 2023-09-14 04:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed from this?
should have specified my character has been "Prime" since 2004.
I was too young to be blazed up when this movie came out.
Too young to understand why there was white baby powder all over the neighbor's dining table all the time too.
[+]
 Leviathan.Aqeeb
Server: Leviathan
user: Aqeeb
By Leviathan.Aqeeb 2023-09-14 17:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Aqeeb can be interpreted as Punisher by the way, from Arabic.

Interesting, the only thing i found was "follower" or "behind" and im always behind so that fits lol.
[+]
 Asura.Otomis
By Asura.Otomis 2023-09-14 21:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Otomis = Otomi Tribe. My family lineage.
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2023-09-14 23:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I really enjoyed Outlaw Star. It was a really good anime that aired in the late 1990's. So when I first launched the game and saw the mithra race I combined my two favorite characters from the anime. When I moved to Asura my name was taken by someone who quit the game back in the lvl 75 era so I adopted a name that sounded similar enough to my liking. The rest is history.

[+]
By Eboneezer 2023-09-15 00:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't remember what game it was, but i went through a few randomly generated names and Eboneezer came up. I don't know how it's supposed to be spelled, but i definitely know it isn't Eboneezer...so i had to keep it. I used it in a lot of games because i found it amusing.