How Did You Come Up With Your Name?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How did you come up with your name?
How did you come up with your name?
 Asura.Rekcuf
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: ashcrow
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-09-15 05:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

F**** right to left
 Asura.Rekcuf
user: ashcrow
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-09-15 05:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

F**** right to left
Asura.Neojuggernautx said: »
The “Juggernaut ***” was big when I started playing. I wanted that to be my name. SE had different plans :( The “x” was added when I came to Asura 10 years ago. Some jerk that quit long before still exists with my name!!
a Relative of mine was Called Juggernaut Galka Ranger than when we merged to Asura from Pandy he actually had to go to Ohnsap or osnap i don't remamber exaclty LOL same exact issue there
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2023-09-15 05:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I created this name when I was a kid. I liked Raphael the Ninja Turtle, so when it came time for me to come up with a name for a fantasy character, I swapped out the "ph" for a "v" and the rest is history.

Given that it's just a simple consonant switch, it's somewhat amusing to hear all of the different pronunciations. I get "Ravel", "Reveal", "Ravail", but rarely the pronunciation I was going for.
[+]
 Asura.Warpy
user: Warpy
By Asura.Warpy 2023-09-15 05:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

My Xbox gamertag was Warpfactor1 back in 2003. Friends called me Warp, Warps or Warpy for short. Used the latter for XI in 2005. If I knew anything about FFXI before-hand, I would've created a Taru as my main.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2023-09-15 09:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The main character of this:

An underrated gem. The final boss theme is still great:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Cerberus.Gahlek
Server: Cerberus
user: Gahlek
By Cerberus.Gahlek 2023-09-15 11:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Well.. Sephiroth was taken, and so was Sefiroth, Sephirroth, Sephirothx, XSephirothx, Seffiroth, Sephirothh, Sexiroth, Sexirothxxx, and Sephirothxxx, so I went with the main character name I've always used for RPG games since I was 12, which sounded cool at the time but now I don't really care for it anymore.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-09-15 12:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Back in the late 90s when I was a kid living in south Georgia, well south of Atlanta anyway, there was this used video game stored called Microplay.

I'm pretty sure it was in Peachtree City.

Anyway, my oldest brother introduced me to buying used games there, and he'd bought a used copy of Breath of Fire II.

The first time I loaded it up, there were still three files on it. One of them was named Bane and it was at the end of the game (which I didn't know at the time).

The other two were non-descript 4 letter words that I can't for the life of me remember. My brother told me that the main character's real name is Ryu, but I really wanted to come up with something that was 4 letters and sounded cool. Cause I wanted to be cool like Bane! I like the word Pyre and the letter V. So I put Vyre. Though sometimes I think to myself the real memory is just Vyre was like the second name on the cart. Cause I be thinking, "Was I that creative as a kid?"

And then I carried the name forward into Runescape, when Runescape was till 2-D, but I was entering puberty then and trying to make the name edgier, I tacked on some letters to make it Vyrerus. Which I also used for my Yahoo email address which I still use!

Then when XI came around, and I finally got to play... Well at first I went with a Tarutaru named Artea. Blue haired, pointy ears, and good at magic. Everything fits! But magic seemed really unreliable to me, because I didn't understand how anything worked, so when I made my second Tarutaru I named him Vyre. And I would remake the character twice more til I got the Vyre I have today, Face 4 M Hume with the red hair. The Vyre displayed on this site is that final Vyre, and he was created in 2005 (his previous incarnations were Tarutaru (2004) and Galka(2004)).

It's really funny too. Apparently there's a well liked book series nowadays called Stormlight Archives or something? People have PM'd me at least half a dozen times now asking me how big a fan I am or if I'm a fan at all. Nope. Vyre is my creation, not that silly author's! (actually everything I've seen says that those books are really good, so maybe I should look into them)

On another name related note: For my XIV character I went with Vyre Vahzl on one server and Vicious Zvahl on another, and wound up playing Vicious more, so Vyre got relegated to alt status in XIV. Apparently there's some relatively popular internet personality lady that made some fanfic story with Minecraft? or something like it? And she named all of her characters in it and her online persona after characters from FFXI, and in FFXIV I have gotten tells from people asking me if I'm a huge, "Aphmau Fanboy." And they mean this streamer lady. And a lot of her audience somehow thinks she came up with the names she's using from XI lol
[+]
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2023-09-15 13:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

To my Vyres will always be a Disgaea reference. Good ol mid-boss. That game was amazing on the comedy front.

https://disgaea.fandom.com/wiki/Mid-Boss
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-09-15 14:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Melliny said: »
To my Vyres will always be a Disgaea reference. Good ol mid-boss. That game was amazing on the comedy front.

https://disgaea.fandom.com/wiki/Mid-Boss
Yep, I love that guy too. I renamed my Youtube channel's display name to Mid-Boss heh.
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2023-09-15 14:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Counter strike.
VIP
By Lili 2023-09-15 16:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Gahlek said: »
Well.. Sephiroth was taken, and so was Sefiroth, Sephirroth, Sephirothx, XSephirothx, Seffiroth, Sephirothh, Sexiroth, Sexirothxxx, and Sephirothxxx, so I went with the main character name I've always used for RPG games since I was 12, which sounded cool at the time but now I don't really care for it anymore.

Considered how many Sephiroths are out there, you're much better as a Gahlek.
[+]
 Asura.Bitesized
user: Bitesized
By Asura.Bitesized 2023-09-15 16:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I made a taru
 Bahamut.Kaiylie
By Bahamut.Kaiylie 2023-09-15 16:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Major regrets with my handle.

Was mostly a random throwaway because I never imagined XI would be something that would land for me, mostly just wanted to do the storylines. Here I am almost a decade later, and people often assume I'm a girl. f me, almost worth paying $36 to change it at this point.
By Gellvos 2023-09-15 16:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I started playing runescape and didn't want to put a number chain on the end, wanted it to be original, also wanted it to start with a G because my first name does (Gary)

I'd also previously seen a name "Kell" on a character in something and liked the idea so I then wrapped it around that

Then the name Gellvos was born!
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2023-09-16 10:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Zieg from The Legend of Dragoon.
It was late 2003. I had trouble recalling whether he was "Zieg" or "Zeig" so I tried "Zieg" and it didn't work (I was like, who is this other dude that likes LoD that joined the game this soon?), then tried "Zeig" and it registered and I was like alright, there's still a chance that this is the right spelling, lol.

Asura.Vyre said: »

Leave it to Vyre to give you a nice bedtime story haha (Not complaining).

Leviathan.Aqeeb said: »
Interesting, the only thing i found was "follower" or "behind" and im always behind so that fits lol.
This transliteration should mean عقيب, which is not commonly used, but commonly means exactly what you said. E.g. The night is the day's "aqeeb" (and the day is the night's "aqeeb").

Blazed1979 said: »
Aqeeb can be interpreted as Punisher by the way, from Arabic.
While I can't rule out the possibility, I've never seen it used to convey that meaning.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2023-09-16 15:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
It was late 2003. I had trouble recalling whether he was "Zieg" or "Zeig" so I tried "Zieg" and it didn't work (I was like, who is this other dude that likes LoD that joined the game this soon?), then tried "Zeig" and it registered and I was like alright, there's still a chance that this is the right spelling, lol.

Interesting, the only thing i found was "follower" or "behind" and im always behind so that fits lol.
This transliteration should mean عقيب, which is not commonly used, but commonly means exactly what you said. E.g. The night is the day's "aqeeb" (and the day is the night's "aqeeb").

While I can't rule out the possibility, I've never seen it used to convey that meaning.

fa3l/, fu3l/,mufa3l, fe3l, fa3eel
3aqb, 3uqb, mu3aqb, 3qab->3aqeeb (Aqeeb).
ay enahu yu3aqb bi emstrar.
"Kan Zeig 3qeeb"
make sense?
Yakhi la te3aqbnee
Arabic is one hell of a beautiful logical language.
By Blazed1979 2023-09-16 15:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »

Looks like the origins story of batshit crazy girlfriend and "Karen".
 Asura.Nesspoot
user: Nesspoot
By Asura.Nesspoot 2023-09-16 15:28:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm really happy that I decided to use the name Nesspoot. I took the name from my wife's childhood dog who joined the family when we got together around 10 years ago.

Unfortunately, around a year ago, old Nessie passed away. She was 16 and a half and made it across the country when we moved from VA to California. Seeing her name when I log in is a little bittersweet but I'll continue to play in her memory!

(That said, it's always been funny getting on Discord and hearing the variety of pronunciations. nes-SPOOT?!? xD)
[+]
By Wordspoken 2023-09-16 15:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't we have a thread like this already here? I vaguely remember... oh well. Year was 2002 or so. I was registering to a chess server, first few tries were taken. As I was thinking of a good one, the thought of being an introvert and maybe that not being a good thing, crossed my mind and I thought I could changed it with a handle. "Be more talkative, more extrovert" was the goal. Turns out, your handle doesn't define you. You define your handle.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2023-09-16 15:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »

An underrated gem. The final boss theme is still great:

YouTube Video Placeholder

This is one of my personal favorite games of all time!
 Asura.Cariko
user: Kariko
By Asura.Cariko 2023-09-16 20:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Wordspoken said: »
Didn't we have a thread like this already here? I vaguely remember... oh well.

This is a forum for a 20-year-old MMO filled with Gen-Xers and Millennials who identify themselves with Gen-Xers by proxy. We're allowed an annual nostalgia trip every year or so for anyone still around to take part, I think.
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-09-17 01:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »

fa3l/, fu3l/,mufa3l, fe3l, fa3eel
3aqb, 3uqb, mu3aqb, 3qab->3aqeeb (Aqeeb).
ay enahu yu3aqb bi emstrar.
"Kan Zeig 3qeeb"
make sense?
Yakhi la te3aqbnee
Arabic is one hell of a beautiful logical language.

Are you sure about that? Say "Moses ate zucchini". To a non-native arabic speaker, it looks like "The zucchini ate Moses". (Verbal vs non-verbal sentences). Arabic is mind-goggling and sometimes has very figurative meanings (words like Breath, Breathe and Soul). Also, they don't write the vowels and have sneaky rules like: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Arabic/LearnRW/alif_Maksoorah

Arabic is a really cool language, but I wouldn't call it logical. Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to de-rail.
By Blazed1979 2023-09-17 03:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
"Moses ate zucchini"
would either be "Moses ate a zuchini" or "Moses ate the Zuchini" or "Moses eats zuchini" or "eat the zuchini, Moses!" or "the Zuchini was eaten by Moses" or "Moses regularly eats Zuchini"

I don't know what Zuchini is in Arabic, so I'll use "Apple" instead:

"Moosa Akela tufa7"
"Moosa akela el tufa7"
"Moosa yakulu tufa7"
"Moosa Yakulu el tufa7"
"Ukul el tufa7 ya Mooosa"
"El Tufa7 ukula mn Moosa" - this might be wrong and is the hardest one for me -" the apple was eaten (from) Moosa" the "from" is what I always get wrong. but I can't use "by" here because in arabic "b" means used with/by, and not just "by". Maybe Zeig can help. The average Saudi is going to school me in Arabic :)
"Moosa akeel el tufa7" - Moosa is a regular eater of apples. and this is the same stance for "Aqeeb" that I was explaining.
By Blazed1979 2023-09-17 03:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Arabic is a really cool language, but I wouldn't call it logical. Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to de-rail.
Can't take one rule in isolation of others to gauge the language.
The rules of the language both complex but intuitive once the fundamentals are understood.
Every proper word in arabic either has a 2 or 3-letter root.
You can accurately and precisely describe complex concepts with minimal words this way, or you can take the route of over describing something. Generally a verb in arabic, single word, can singularly identify the time, the gender and whether they are on the receiving end or sending end of the verb. This isn't unique to arabic, but it is most consistent in arabic.

Proper - not imported words from other languages like "Computer" which has a proper arabic counterpart "7asoob" or "7asoob Alee"

"Ha" at the end of a noun signifies "his" or "owned by him"
"He" or "Heya" for her's/owned by her.
There's a clear pronunciation difference between "ha" and "Aa"(Alif Maksoura)

Anyways, I'm far from an expert. It's taken me 40+ years to be able to put forward a semi-acceptable 1000 word essay/article.
By Afania 2023-09-17 04:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Simple question. How did you come up with your character/forum name?

>.>
https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afania
[+]
 Bahamut.Certainly
user: Lutia
By Bahamut.Certainly 2023-09-20 01:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not entirely sure anymore after all these years.
 Bahamut.Balduran
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2023-09-20 07:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I was obsessed with the game Baldurs Gate (still am), so I named my character after the legendary founder of the city of Baldurs Gate, Balduran. I use to get called Bald sometimes, it went well with bald character model I picked in game too.

By Dodik 2023-09-20 07:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Dodik was named from Dujek (Dujek One-Arm from Malazan Book of the Fallen) as that was already taken back in 2003 when the character was made.

Dodik, a storage mule, is now also renamed after a server transfer back and forth when someone took it.
 Ragnarok.Nissa
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nissa911
By Ragnarok.Nissa 2023-09-20 08:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

At the time I started this account I was a heavy Magic the Gathering player, staying up all night at our local Whataburger. One of the guys I played with, was the one who introduced me to this game. Back in 2010, I picked up the 360 version. Which ended up being the same guy I got together with by the end of that year and now I have kids with so yeah lol but Nissa is a Planeswalker named Nissa Revane. I also have a second character which is Grumpycat, well because I made her when Grumpy cat was a big thing lol but ended up giving that character to my husband. And just recently, I made a 3rd character so to match with Nissa I picked another Magic the Gathering Planeswalker which is Sorin.