Evolith System!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Evolith System!
Evolith System!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-04 13:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said:
IE, they seriously need to reword how Elemental Obis are described, because that's just impossible to figure out from it's text, but I do digress greatly now~

I like the way the obis are worded. Being a mage that understands what weather/day affects are were basically all I needed to know to figure it out. Though because of the slight randomness the exact % for full effect wasn't really known I think. Though I am curious since I've never done much with elemental ws if weather/day procs the same rate as magic and if obis would help... Or skillchains too for that matter
[+]
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2009-11-04 13:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

This is hilarious. They are turning to similar things that you find very commonly within F2P MMORPGs. Integrating a slot system that you can embed stones that enhance your weapon/gear. That's JUST like a few of the free games I play.

Just thought it was sorta silly and just like a week ago I was thinking while I was playing one of the FREE MMOs, why doesn't FFXI do something like this!

I like this one...
 Valefor.Integral
Server: Valefor
user: Caliber
By Valefor.Integral 2009-11-04 13:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

*** foreal, there better be worthwhile mage weapons instead of the 8 staves we've all had for years now

do want
 Asura.Renjii
Server: Asura
user: Renjii
By Asura.Renjii 2009-11-04 13:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really reliant but what is that G-Sword the DRK has? New weapons to go alongside the evoliths?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-04 13:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:
*** foreal, there better be worthwhile mage weapons instead of the 8 staves we've all had for years now do want

Yeah. Wait for it.... your gunna be doign it on the staffs to make them better! I mean really though even the +25MAB isn't as good as the 8 for blm the odds of them having a +25MAb or more thing you can slot in probably isn't lookiong that good
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-11-04 14:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

So the Elemental, shape and the number has to match on both the gear the evolith stone?
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-11-04 14:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Albender said:
As if understanding how on hell MMM works, Pankatrion, Cameras for ZNM, Chocobo races and the bet system, Chocobo racing, etc... wasn't complicated enough. I kinda miss the old days sometimes.

Thats why most if not all of those things are optional. Because you don't have to do them. I personally do none of them. ZNM is about the only one I can think of that I would get anything useful from. And even if that's the case, I don't have zeni anyway. Why complain about something that is optional? >_>

I will make a judgement about this new system once it comes out and has been played around with.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 14:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the example stone state "Light elemental healing magic: Enmity -1" which means the Light Spirit, not healing magic?

Since, outside of Healing Breeze (and some choice Blood Packs) there is no non-light element healing magic?
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-11-04 14:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure. That whole "Axe weapon skills:attack+6" really confused me. +6 attack to weapon skills? Hmmm...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-04 14:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Paulus said:
So the Elemental, shape and the number has to match on both the gear the evolith stone?

It looks like that from the example. That they have to mesh or maybe theres some kind of amount or some gayness "Prepare your equipment
- A maximum of three evolith-holding "slots" may be etched into a given piece of equipment via synergy.
Note that each slot will have its own shape, size, and elemental affinity, to correspond with the evolith itself"
Sounds like it will probably have to have the same shape and element and at least as much size. Maybe something kinda like equipping stuff to automatoms or something.

Asura.Korpg said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the example stone state "Light elemental healing magic: Enmity -1" which means the Light Spirit, not healing magic? Since, outside of Healing Breeze (and some choice Blood Packs) there is no non-light element healing magic?

Maybe maybe not. SE isn't always to particular with there wording... so they could mean healing magic or all curative magics. See as they specified light element I'd lean to they meant curative since all healing magic is light element but it's not like SE hasn't been redundant before either.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-04 14:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Wardens said:
I'm not sure. That whole "Axe weapon skills:attack 6" really confused me. 6 attack to weapon skills? Hmmm...

Most likely just what is says. Like wsacc but for axe only and ya know attack. Might be something alot cooler though
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-11-04 14:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, I suppose that makes sense. I just don't like it. :/ lol I'd much rather have staightup attack.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2009-11-04 14:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I like the way the obis are worded. Being a mage that understands what weather/day affects are were basically all I needed to know to figure it out. Though because of the slight randomness the exact % for full effect wasn't really known I think. Though I am curious since I've never done much with elemental ws if weather/day procs the same rate as magic and if obis would help... Or skillchains too for that matter

It's been so long since I've actually looked up the wiki to figure out exactly what it means, I don't recall how I misinterpreted it, honestly. I think something along the lines of, if you proc weather effects for spells, it'll give you a full bonus (procing Cure on Lights weather will give you the double weather effect + lightsday effect of it, I think). ANYWAYS, REALLY digressing off topic, lol.

Asura.Korpg said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the example stone state "Light elemental healing magic: Enmity -1" which means the Light Spirit, not healing magic?

Since, outside of Healing Breeze (and some choice Blood Packs) there is no non-light element healing magic?

That's very true too, it's just a matter of how SE will interpret it. Someone get the people who does the ruling for Magic: The Gathering, they're good at streamlining all terminology!

It could also mean Light element magic that is directly affected by "Healing Magic" skill too, which would also limit the ways it could affect it.

We won't know until it's actually released, and things have been tested. Though I can see some interesting ones. I think a more popular one would be something like "Lightning Element, Elemental Magic: MAB +2" (again, I'm not a 75 BLM, so I don't know if this is true or not, but hey, I'm taking a wild guess~ Please forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong =) )

I'm honestly hoping for a few cure potency in there.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-04 14:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said:
I think a more popular one would be something like "Lightning Element, Elemental Magic: MAB +2" (again, I'm not a 75 BLM, so I don't know if this is true or not, but hey, I'm taking a wild guess~ Please forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong =) )

That would indeed be nice depending on where you can put it... well and what specifically. Since that really equates to 3-6 int it probably needs to be one somethign with nice stats already regardless of slot. Getting that on a jupiter staff would be all kinds of awesome though. Getting it on a terra staff would be all kinds of facepalming though
 Valefor.Integral
Server: Valefor
user: Caliber
By Valefor.Integral 2009-11-04 15:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

what is this business with the firesymbol|triangle|5 though?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-04 15:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:

That is the "Prepare your equipment
- A maximum of three evolith-holding "slots" may be etched into a given piece of equipment via synergy.
Note that each slot will have its own shape, size, and elemental affinity, to correspond with the evolith itself"
Sounds like it will probably have to have the same shape and element and at least as much size. Maybe something kinda like equipping stuff to automatoms or something. " In the post
 Pandemonium.Vavaud
Server: Pandemonium
user: Vavaud
By Pandemonium.Vavaud 2009-11-04 15:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if they're going to allow you to have evoliths that augment Job abilities, I wonder about job traits?

TH5 here we come!!
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-04 15:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Vavaud said:
Well if they're going to allow you to have evoliths that augment Job abilities, I wonder about job traits?

TH5 here we come!!

In theory, TH5 would only add about a 1.25% increase in drop rate.

That's not to say a 5% would go to 6.25%. That would mean a 5% drop rate would go to 5.0625% drop rate.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Vavaud
Server: Pandemonium
user: Vavaud
By Pandemonium.Vavaud 2009-11-04 15:34:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if it's such a tiny increase, people would still go nuts over getting it.

Imagine if you're the only THF on the server who had something like this. You'd have HNM/ZNM/whatever kinds of shells going after your... "services"...
 Remora.Belius
Server: Remora
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-04 15:35:28
Link | Quote | Reply

With the right augments and evoslots.. Possibilities are crazy.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-04 15:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been said before, but there's no way to know until the actual update, so we'll have to wait and see.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-04 15:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Would make martial items fly up in prices I'd imagine.

Certainly makes the game much more accessible though. Now people can get nice things without forking tons of cash or waiting in line for very rare drops.

I like!
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-04 15:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

And the NMS better be soloable by RDM/NIN dammit >:( There is tradition in ffxi that must not be broken!
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2009-11-04 15:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Valefor.Integral said:

That is the "Prepare your equipment
Sounds like it will probably have to have the same shape and element and at least as much size. Maybe something kinda like equipping stuff to automatoms or something. " In the post

To expand on that a bit more, based off this picture:

User submitted image

You'll notice how the element, shape, and number on the bottom right corner are both the same. These are most like the "element affinity", "shape", and "size" they talk about in their post.

Part of what will make the system completely defunct, working well, or totally unbalanced, would be how the parameters of the slot will be determined.

For example
8 elements
At least 3 unique shapes
At least 5 sizes (assume that a lower sized Evolith can fit into a larger slot)

Which means this:
Element = 12.5% chance of getting desired element
Shape = 33.3% chance of getting desired shape
Size = Unknown at this time, guess one could assume something like a 40/25/20/10/5 ratio for a size 1/2/3/4/5, respectively, where a higher size would generally be a better Evolith. Assuming you want a size 3 or less, you'd have a 85% chance of attaining that

Therefore, statistically, getting the exact slot you want it 3.53% chance of working (hoping my math is right!).

One can also add in a % chance of how many slots an equipment can get. Say, 50/33/17 for 1/2/3 slots, and getting slot parameters you want can become very tricky. Also, they could really take it up a huge notch by stating "resetting a slot will reset all slots", and therefore, even if you get two slots, you'll have to start all over again to get your desired arrangements.

One could also argue that specific gears might have specific elemental affinities. Ice or Water for mage gears, Earth for heavy armour tanking, etc, etc...

Of course, this is all speculation, but there can be a lot of factors to consider when this is released. In general, I don't think this system will outright replace the Augment system. As mentioned before, these Evoliths seem very specific versus an Augments more generic stat usage. I think this can be another way to improve one's gear with enough time (or luck) on your side.

~END WALL OF TEXT~
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-04 15:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
In theory, TH5 would only add about a 1.25% increase in drop rate.

That's not to say a 5% would go to 6.25%. That would mean a 5% drop rate would go to 5.0625% drop rate.

No one cares. People are such snobs about TH. You don't have TH4 GTFO. What are you saying that +1% to droprate will actually truncate down to an 0 increase in dropate!?! I don't care use the trophy peice nao!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-11-04 16:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

ugh. more random stuff we're going to have to do just to keep up with the status quo.
 Fairy.Sari
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Sari 2009-11-04 16:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a lot of people are looking at this the wrong way:

Rather than thinking "I want to upgrade item/gear X" and spending AGES trying to get just the right stone... INSTEAD go and do some of the NMs, see what stones drop then think what gears they would be good to enhance.

So just go and do some FOV, get some EXp/merits, get some drops, then go back to town and see what gear you can pimp.

I think this is a great system. Its not like the slot systems of a number of RPGs simply because it isn't integral, its optional extra. Weapons without the slots will still be good, and in many rarex cases, better, whereas in many RPGs, weapons/gear with nothing in the slots is worthless crap.

For those people complaining about this vs FOV augments, they are two very different things:
- FOV = High risk / potential high reward chance
- New system = low/no risk / marginal reward

SE isnt going to release gear that makes old gear redundant where possible, otherwise people with full relic/salvage/sky etc sets will *** about how they wasted their time.

TY SE, I for one look forward to +.5ing a load of my gear^^
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-04 16:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Sari said:
I think a lot of people are looking at this the wrong way: Rather than thinking "I want to upgrade item/gear X" and spending AGES trying to get just the right stone... INSTEAD go and do some of the NMs, see what stones drop then think what gears they would be good to enhance.

Is there another way to look at this? That's pretty much exactly what it is
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-11-04 16:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This sounds promising. I have the impression there will be new NMs in some of the FoV zones that are force popped (like elite regimes) after you get the battle plan or whatever from the magic book. Can probably only do one a day for some amount of tabs or something.
I doubt anything r/ex will be able to be changed. I hope the materia are 100% drop, but they probably won't be.
Sounds promising, but I am reserving judgement until more info is avaliable. If you need a whole party or more for some NMs to get the best materia then this is fail. I hope materia aren't as flipping random as augments are as well. I hope each nm has a type and so on.