Dynamis - How To Do It Right?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Dynamis - How to do it right?
Dynamis - How to do it right?
First Page 2 3
 Remora.Belius
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-10-30 11:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I've been thinking of joining an end-game shell, but not very sure on what to look for.

What should I be looking for and/or expecting from a decent end-game shell? Most particularly, how do I judge if a dynamis run is going to be successful before wasting 2-3 hours of my time for a win?

Or is it a matter of luck? I understand that it is largely based on teamwork but do share some info!

And would you, personally, jump servers to join a specific type of shell?
MonstersINC looks sexy, imo.
[+]
 Sylph.Otsego
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-10-30 12:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

What you have to look for with an endgame shell is simple. Does the shell do events, multiple types (i.e. wyrms, kings, sea, sky, dynamis, ZNM, stuff of that nature). If they are not active, they are not worth joining. What to expect from an endgame shell.... for them to have fun within events, but to be bitched out if you cause a failure because of your own screw up. Do not expect an endgame shell to cater to your needs. Most endgame shells do what they feel is best for the LS overall, plain and simple. To gauge a dynamis run before it starts is hard, or until you interact with the people enough to know how they do stuff. If you're BLM in dynamis are not helping sleep, and are just nuking, or not nuking statue's down as fast as they can, safe bet you are not going to last very long. Dynamis is not luck, only the drops.

As to if I would jump servers to join a specific shell: Yes. I did it in July, left Remora after being there for over 3 years, went to Sylph to join SymbiosisX. Full endgame, with a few exceptions on ground that we dont really camp.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-30 12:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Belius said:
What should I be looking for and/or expecting from a decent end-game shell? Most particularly, how do I judge if a dynamis run is going to be successful before wasting 2-3 hours of my time for a win?

Basically, borrow your friend's time machine, travel forward three hours, see what the run's going to be like, and then travel back in time again and go through with the run.

Ridiculous question, so a ridiculous response. Just enter the run or don't, if you have to stop to think about whether it's worth entering or not you're obviously not that bothered.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-30 12:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

-Look for a point system that fits your needs (Linkshells generally have a website managing it)
-Have more than one job available for use at 75, never know what'll happen (careful about jobs like Brd, Rdm, Blm, and Whm - you may be stuck that forever.)
-Shells generally know what they're doing in terms of Dyna runs, unless you join a fresh one, which is never a good idea imo.
-I jumped servers for a shell and it was worth it.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-30 12:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You can usually tell how enjoyable a shell will be by a short conversation with the shellholder, or the organiser of events. Most successful and fair linkshells are run by people with a good standard of gameplay, high expectations and ambition.

A lot of things can be said about elitist endgame shells, but the leader usually always has their head screwed on the right way; even if they are a jerk.
[+]
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2009-10-30 12:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll just say first that I'm not an expert at leading Dynamis or EG in general. I do consider myself good at organizing events in terms of getting people and the right jobs. I've organized Dynamis a bit even. I've also just been a part of a lot of Dynamis. Some were highly succesful (member of efficient low man squads for Xarc in an HNMLS, though BRD's role is simple to play imho) runs, and I've been in highly disastrous runs. So I feel I can answer your question with some amount of credibility.

I see your jobs are RDM and BST. I mean no disrespect, but your merits are not capped for either according to your page. But, capped merits are absolutely not needed for Dynamis imho for RDM. Resist rates are quite favorable. Having said that, for the rest of EG, capped merits are going to make or break you when doing things where resist rates are not favorable. So, I would recommend for you, to prioritize capping your merits soon. The better EGLSs will require it.

Again, Dynamis and Limbus do not require it at all. In fact, this is where I make my recommendation for you to just look for a Limbus or Dynamis LS. Both require a lot of bodies to do, so the entry restrictions are low. I do not know your server in particular, but I know on Diabolos there are a good handful of LSes that only do Dynamis and Limbus or one or the other. Some throw in Einherjar as well. I think this would be a good starting point for EG. It's how I got into it myself. But you ask if an LS is good or not?

My recommendation would be to ask them! Most people are not going to try to trick you. Ask upfront, 'Are you guys good?' Ask the secondary leaders. Ask the grunt workers. If you have doubts, respectfully provide a reason for your doubts and move on. Although, imho, if you've never ever done Dynamis, I would join anyways. Even my worst Dynamis runs (timing out after only an hour) saw relic armor drop. So, even if you don't get a win, you may get something for your BST (b/c BST relic usually goes to the floor/auto-drop).

You asked if winning is mostly luck. I would say that it's mostly skill. I've failed Dynamis with 20+ people in bad groups, but in good groups, I've won with 12. My personal experience tells me that it's much more skill than luck. Everyone has to bring his 'A' game to Dynamis and EG in general.

To answer your other question, no I wouldn't personally jump servers. I have way too many friends on Diabolos to do that. I think that most people like me who have been playing for about 5 years would answer similarly about their server.

Ok thank you, I hope that helps,

~G
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-10-30 12:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

observe the conversation that goes on in the shell. If it's friendly and somewhat interesting, then they enjoy their runs, even when they don't win.

Since most the Dynamis shells have sticks up their tight lil ***.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-10-30 12:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I judge dynamis shells based on how many "XXXX falls to level 74." I see.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-10-30 12:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, I expect mages and DRKs to multi-delevel under 74
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-30 12:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Dynamis is mostly skill, yes, and how well the individuals in the zone work. However, there are certainly some elements of luck involved. Unfortunately, most of it is relating to glitches that are still there, despite Dynamis being this old. In those cases, the "luck" may give the impression of bad skill, but usually there's nothing anyone can do about them. Make sure not to hold this against the shell.

For example, I'm the puller in my shell mostly, and Sandy is an absolute *** up when it comes to pulling. Most runs its fine, but no matter how good I've become at pulling, the leather guild can easily glitch. You can pull the first set of monsters on the elbow and they'll all come to you and link nothing. Suddenly, two minutes later, the whole of the leatherguild will suddenly spawn and link, even though nobody is anywhere near it. It's almost like the spawning and linking of those monsters is deliberately delayed. This has happened a few times now and we're stumped for explanations.

So in those situations, it might be luck... But other than that, Dynamis is mostly skill. Honestly, if you find yourself in a shell where you have to think "Is this run going to be a success or not", it might be time to look elsewhere. The only Dynamis fail that could be forgiven with so much known about the zones is Qufim, because that Giant's a c***.
[+]
 Remora.Llianon
user: Llianon
By Remora.Llianon 2009-10-30 12:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

well it may be well to have differents shell for differents events, depending the time you spend IG.
the point is a dynamis onry LS will only do it...and do it good.
same with einerjar and limbus...
and remora is a good server you can find a good Ls depending what you look for.
No need to apply Apathy or exodus to do hard core gaming if you only want to spend 2 nights in a week playing...
Don't forget to look the event time (GMT/PDT event)
Last point: if you wana do ground NM don't forget the windows are large and can be pretty soon in the morning or late in the night...
the best Ls are the most organized
[+]
 Sylph.Otsego
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-10-30 12:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
lol, I expect mages and DRKs to multi-delevel under 74

If I see a BLM delevel in dynamis, I laugh. 43,999/44,000 FTW, on BLM too. Any BLM not going into dynamis with a buffer deserves to delevel. You can hate me for saying it, and you can make fun of it all you want.... fact is most people that do endgame and dynamis know I'm right about that.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-30 12:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Otsego said:
If I see a BLM delevel in dynamis, I laugh. 43,999/44,000 FTW, on BLM too. Any BLM not going into dynamis with a buffer deserves to delevel. You can hate me for saying it, and you can make fun of it all you want.... fact is most people that do endgame and dynamis know I'm right about that.

If I see anyone delevel in Dynamis I tell them to get a buffer. There's no excuse for delevelling anywhere now with campaign.

I also unleash a can of whoop *** if somebody demands a Raise 3 when they delevel.
[+]
 Sylph.Otsego
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-10-30 12:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
If I see anyone delevel in Dynamis I tell them to get a buffer. There's no excuse for delevelling anywhere now with campaign. I also unleash a can of whoop *** if somebody demands a Raise 3 when they delevel.

I will not argue this at all, you are absolutely correct. Only people that should eat R3 are WHM and the tanks. They have this neat little item called Reraise Hairpin and Reraise Gorget, if you go to any event and you do not have RR, you should eat R1. If you do not have a buffer, that is your issue.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-30 12:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I would give out R3's reguardless since it's the same MP.
But if it was after a wipe, I'd just randomly target and pick the highest raise availble.
[+]
 Sylph.Otsego
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-10-30 12:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If it is just a random death here and there, I can see tossing an R3, especially on mages. But as you said, if it is a full out wipe, you just eat whatever raise, regardless upon delevel or not. But on full wipe, never raise those that cant raise first, except for tanks, need them unweak as quick as possible.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-30 12:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

By random target I mean the DDs. I'd always get the tanks and mages that didn't have RR up first.

Man I hated Whm...
Don't level Whm, OP!
It's like being stuck in a chinese sweatshop - only see the light outside of endgame.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-30 12:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
I would give out R3's reguardless since it's the same MP.
But if it was after a wipe, I'd just randomly target and pick the highest raise availble.

That's what I mean. I wouldn't begrudge anyone out of spite just because they delevelled, but if they delevelled during a wipe or mass death and think they're getting an R3 for it, they have another think coming.

It's just not fair that the people making an effort to keep their buffer up take an R1 and the lazy people who can't be bothered to get a buffer get a R3. Only encourages them not to bother.
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-10-30 12:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah... If 1-2 people die on a pull, they get R3's.
If the entire group wipes, you take whatever you can get and most of the time, it's an R1.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-30 12:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll admit, I always gave Kiri R3 - no matter what buffer she had, she is a cutie was a death machine.
And Thunderz since our bromance is like no other.

...what, expecting a strike-out there? D:
[+]
 Sylph.Otsego
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-10-30 12:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
By random target I mean the DDs. I'd always get the tanks and mages that didn't have RR up first.

Man I hated Whm...
Don't level Whm, OP!
It's like being stuck in a chinese sweatshop - only see the light outside of endgame.

That's how BLM is. Only difference is we cant raise if we /rdm, which is the best way to run. I keep a max buffer, and I know how to recap, so I'd eat R1 in dynamis, does not bother me a bit.
[+]
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-10-30 13:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the replies!

I think the majority here is encouraging to find a Dyna-only shell which would make sense, since the focus would be both on wins and drops. I like that idea!

I have 4/5 convert merits and I think it was either 3/5 or 4/5 enfeeb merits. Nothing on potency yet, which I will work towards. Still trying to decide where I want to go. I was thinking earth for slow enfeebling and maybe ice for blizz/bind. Even if that's more a solo thing.
Garuda.Wooooodum said:

Basically, borrow your friend's time machine, travel forward three hours, see what the run's going to be like, and then travel back in time again and go through with the run.

Ridiculous question, so a ridiculous response. Just enter the run or don't, if you have to stop to think about whether it's worth entering or not you're obviously not that bothered.

You are a pure oddity. It's a perfectly feasible question for someone who has little knowledge of dynamis. Does the shell's make up make a difference? Do you need a group of blackmages on sleep/nuke duty? Should I look out for RDM/BLMs who assist sleeping or RDM/WHMS on buff duty? Should there be a particular structure in place? etcetc.

It looks like the actual make-up doesn't make that much of a difference as the player skill and teamwork beats numbers. 12-man city win sounds amazing!
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-30 13:07:57
Link | Quote | Reply

In Dyna, your merits won't be a huge difference since you'll be a refresh/haste ***.
[+]
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-10-30 13:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Llianon said:
well it may be well to have differents shell for differents events, depending the time you spend IG.
the point is a dynamis onry LS will only do it...and do it good.
same with einerjar and limbus...
and remora is a good server you can find a good Ls depending what you look for.
No need to apply Apathy or exodus to do hard core gaming if you only want to spend 2 nights in a week playing...
Don't forget to look the event time (GMT/PDT event)
Last point: if you wana do ground NM don't forget the windows are large and can be pretty soon in the morning or late in the night...
the best Ls are the most organized

On Remora, GMT LS's are a bit hard to come by. And if they are GMT, they are usually in the middle of the day vs the evening.

And if it's the evening, it's on a Friday or Saturday which I spend largely partying myself silly. :( Why I was looking to maybe move elsewhere with times that better suit me, maybe?
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-30 13:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Belius said:
You are a pure oddity. It's a perfectly feasible question for someone who has little knowledge of dynamis.

That's not how you worded the question:

Remora.Belius said:
Most particularly, how do I judge if a dynamis run is going to be successful before wasting 2-3 hours of my time for a win?

If you don't know anything about Dynamis, why are you worried about wasting your time? My point is, enter the run and see for yourself. As I said in my previous post, if you have to think whether or not a run is worth wasting your time, you're probably not that bothered about trying to find out first hand.
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-10-30 13:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
In Dyna, your merits won't be a huge difference since you'll be a refresh/haste ***.

Yeah! And/or Sleepga. I never like being the RDM sleepga-ing anything. Doesn't haste/freshing for 2 hours sound exciting! I may just level BRD. At least some variety and I can get frisky with song usage. Nobody will argue with an overzealous singing bard who insists on lowering the mobs ele resistance before nukes go off!
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-30 13:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Belius said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Yeah! And/or Sleepga. I never like being the RDM sleepga-ing anything. Doesn't haste/freshing for 2 hours sound exciting! I may just level BRD. At least some variety and I can get frisky with song usage. Nobody will argue with an overzealous singing bard who insists on lowering the mobs ele resistance before nukes go off!

Once you got Brd leveled, you are done for.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-30 13:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Once you got Brd leveled, you are done for.

Definitely.

Red Mage isn't that bad in Dynamis. It's not just Hasting and Refreshing the whole run. There's plenty to do and you'll be kept busy. You can even build a nuking set and join the Black Mages at the frontline.
[+]
First Page 2 3