First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10
 Asura.Botosi
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-09-10 19:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Also, I just want to say I'm so proud of you guys, as a whole.

The first update EVER!? Where the people didn't go full Rword on the "newest shiney item". First ever instance of self control in FFXI history.

I've been laughing about how stupid it is since forever to pay the premium, but looks like it only took 20 years to catch on. Carry that momentum forward!

19 Hours post-update and only TWO people have bought lustreless wings (122 stacks on sale)

I know that it sounds snarki, but legit, I'm actually befuddled. No matter how trashy, how poorly done, how expensive update items are, it's never held you back before. Why now?

Everybody’s broke from the sparks/accolades nerf and from buying ambuscade wins.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ozment
Server: Ragnarok
user: ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2020-09-10 19:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Falkirk posted that they weren't (with screenshots)

Seemed like a slamdunk, was not.

lol...oops! That's what I get for skimming through pages. :)
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-09-10 20:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I just want to say I'm so proud of you guys, as a whole.

The first update EVER!? Where the people didn't go full Rword on the "newest shiney item". First ever instance of self control in FFXI history.

I've been laughing about how stupid it is since forever to pay the premium, but looks like it only took 20 years to catch on. Carry that momentum forward!

19 Hours post-update and only TWO people have bought lustreless wings (122 stacks on sale)

I know that it sounds snarki, but legit, I'm actually befuddled. No matter how trashy, how poorly done, how expensive update items are, it's never held you back before. Why now?
first couple of sales are the cheapest shot at temporary price fixing so i'd guess 99% its someone selling to a mule to inflate the price and the other 1% someone selling to a mule lowballing the price in hopes he can make a bargain from consecutive sellers.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-10 20:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

^Could be low price fixing. I tried buying at slightly lower than the bought price earlier just to see and I could not get it. There were over 100 stacks up at the time, usually you get a couple people who lowball for quick cash. Not this time.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-09-10 20:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Specifically what I want to know is why aren't you buying them anyway. (not you specifically)

Paying 500m for 1dps has never stopped you (not you specifically) before. So who cares if they want 5m a stack? or 20m a stack? You can't be the best if you aren't the first in R15 4/4 tatenashi.

(the sparks answer is cute, but really it didn't sway the B items)
[+]
 Asura.Emba
user: Emba
By Asura.Emba 2020-09-10 20:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like the Omelette Sandwich is a reward from the new mission that was added. The +1 variant would assume it can be obtained through synthesis though. Still no luck finding a recipe.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-09-10 20:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

lol... is that the reward for finishing this section?

Odin.Senaki said: »
https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/57223
Update that will occur on September 10th:
・Add new quests
・Add reward items
・Add new titles

・Add reward items
 Asura.Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-09-10 20:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Specifically what I want to know is why aren't you buying them anyway. (not you specifically)

Paying 500m for 1dps has never stopped you (not you specifically) before. So who cares if they want 5m a stack? or 20m a stack? You can't be the best if you aren't the first in R15 4/4 tatenashi.

Honestly think the playerbase is getting tired of grinding for side upgrades. We’re getting too lazy/busy (in RL) to do the math and everything’s so situational between DM augments/regular augments/everything being so close that it’s like why bother??? I can already kill everything/anything.

That’s how I feel at least.

I was also partially serious about sparks nerf. I’m broker than I’ve ever been despite mercing everything I can.
[+]
By Felgarr 2020-09-10 20:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Because with each Sheol introduction, only 1-2 items became situationally BiS. With Sheol C, ...arguably Contemplator +1 is the ONLY pseudo-"must-have" item.

Yes, paying 500m for 1 dps has always been thing in FFXI. Paying 500m for 1dps to compete in content that was released over 4 years ago? I don't think so.

I don't think we've had this long of stretch in new (high-level) content, EVER in FFXI history. When I say "new" and "high-level", I mean, we got Dynamis D (135-145 content) almost 4 years ago. Introducing 122/125/130 content at this point, in 2020, doesn't matter as much and doesn't warrant the 500m for 1dps.

If Odyssey approaches 140/150/160 level content, then sure 500m for 1dps, all day....but not right now. Not for this piece for Sheol. :/

Edit: First Dyna D zone came out November 2017 and last zone March 2018. So, 2 years 6-10 months since we got I-Level 145 event/alliance based content, not 4 years ago, as I said above....but I'm rounding up now, so fine...3 years since I-level 145 content so Sheol upgrades/side-grades don't matter. We're still in a content-drought.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-09-10 20:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

They need some new content, it really shouldn't be that hard for them to do something... Odyssey is such a bust
By Draylo 2020-09-10 21:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like it was like this in that content drought in between the end of Abyssea and beginning of Adoulin. Hopefully this little side story adds some kind of content zone like Escha did with ROV.
[+]
 Asura.Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-09-10 21:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

And I pay all this gil for upgrades when in reality for about half the items I'm just better off waiting for DM augments campaigns and hoping to get lucky with the FFXI Slot Moseem.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-09-10 21:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Between Abyssea and Adoulin, we had Voidwatch (including Provenance), Legion, Meebles, Nyzul 2.0, Odin 2.0, Salvage 2.0, Dynamis 2.0, Limbus 2.0, Walk of Echoes 2.0, and probably more stuff I'm forgetting.

It wasn't nearly as empty as the past few years since Dynamis-D have been, which has basically just been a few new HTBFs.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-09-10 21:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
Between Abyssea and Adoulin, we had Voidwatch (including Provenance), Legion, Meebles, Nyzul 2.0, Odin 2.0, Salvage 2.0, Dynamis 2.0, Limbus 2.0, Walk of Echoes 2.0, and probably more stuff I'm forgetting.

It wasn't nearly as empty as the past few years since Dynamis-D have been, which has basically just been a few new HTBFs.

Just thinking about all of that level 99 equipment from those that goes to waste (not item level 119 "99" equipment, but true 99; aside from the 99 accessories) makes me cringe.

Asura.Ajamu said: »
The people who designed CoP should get together and make something new since they knew what they were doing with that awesome expansion.

The rose-colored glasses are so strong with CoP. It has some beautiful zones and music, but I just can't ever see it to be as amazing as some people do. I will admit is is amazing, but just not THAT amazing. I actually just went through it again this week on an alt (up until this update, Dawn was the HTBF for deeds) and aside from the final cutscene and beautiful zones I was going through, the story just... doesn't do it for me.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-09-10 21:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
I mean, we got Dynamis D (135-145 content) almost 4 years ago.

That's not correct. We've only had all 4 Dyna [D] zones since March 2018 update when they added Jeuno. First zone was introduced in the November 2017 update.

So, 2.5 years since the 4 zones were complete. Under 3 years since the initial zone.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-09-10 21:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
The rose-colored glasses are so strong with CoP. It has some beautiful zones and music, but I just can't ever see it to be as amazing as some people do. I will admit is is amazing, but just not THAT amazing. I actually just went through it again this week on an alt (up until this update, Dawn was the HTBF for deeds) and aside from the final cutscene and beautiful zones I was going through, the story just... doesn't do it for me.

Totally agreed. I was never that impressed with the CoP story even when it was new. Probably my least favorite of the post-Zilart expansion stories.

WotG may get a lot of ***for its mediocre to nonexistent endgame, but if it does one thing right it actually does have multiple good stories. Main storyline, Bastok, and Windy stories are all excellent to me. Sandy was fine too, even if kid knights isn't really my thing. Have just been doing it on a mule/alt, and it still stands up.

That Fenrir CS in the Windy nation quest path is still maybe my favorite in the entire game :)
By Draylo 2020-09-10 21:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I just recently did the WOTG missions for a mule and those cutscenes are still really nice.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2020-09-10 21:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

WOTG was always my favorite expansion story wise. Loved it.

Think my only problem with CoP was the Level cap stuff back in an era where Level sync didn't exist meant you needed a lot of situational gear for those particular fights. Sea is still hands down my favorite zone in the entire game, music included. Its so serene and peaceful... used to AFK there all the time back when I first unlocked it.
[+]
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-09-10 23:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite storyline, battle content, and job all come from ToAU personally. CoP had some of the most beautiful zones, though, I will give it that. The storyline missions were also actually challenging.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-09-11 01:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Unpopular opinion incoming.

I think it's pretty obvious how the quality of their dialogues and their cut-scenes steadily improved from RotZ to WotG, the difference is huge.
CoP also suffered from:
1) bad translations
2) bad dialogues (some were way too vague and full of blahblah ***)
3) important and missing aspects (that you had to get from sources that were outside the quests dialogues themselves)

With this being said, CoP is by far my favourite expansion plot-wise, and this is because it fit so incredibly well with the previous Base/RotZ story. You could clearly see the majority of CoP stuff was planned from the beginning, it was meant to be the epic ending of the FFXI story.
It's *** epic.
You've got emptyness menacing the far easten world and all of Vana'diel.
You've got Phoenix, Altana, all the races of Vana'diel joining together to fight the menace of the god of Twilight who wants to end all of existence to end himself.
You've got the price of the Zilart, a high officer of the zilart (Mildaurion / Esha'ntarl), you find out the secrets behind the Crags, the zilartian structures, the zilart society, you visit the capital of the Zilart empire, the links connecting so many of the things we explored in the base/RotZ storyline, you have *** Bahamut, the full cosmology of FFXI and all the pieces (well, almost) fit together so *** well, mostly because the majority of them were planned from the beginning of the game.

Yes there are useless watering of the plot, annoying comic characters and other semi useless characters that we all could live without, but it feels so grandeous and epic. I think only RoV gets to that level of "cosmic-scale" epicness,.

WotG itself is full of retcons, characters I couldn't care less about, multiple storylines which are barely connected together (they were written by different authors who didn't speak to each other after all). They might be good but they feel like it's all compartmentalized.
So many cheap plot-twist that feel like they're coming out of a teen-targeted light novel.
Most than everything else the big disappointment that they could've used the "let's go to the past" to tell the tale of the great war, to show us the real Tavnazia, whereas instead you see only a spark of that war and those events and it's mostly about new chars/situations more than the things that were mentioned in the past, which get barely touched.
And all that "yours is not the original world but just a copy" which annoyed me to no end.
God, it's so anticlimactic to be told that you're not the "real" one from the "real" world.

FFXIV did a similar thing but they did it the right way. You are from "the source", the "main" one of the worlds, not from one of the sparks that got separated.

Plus you have Lilisette which, my god, she's so incredibly annoying. And that sorry character (Mayakov) which wants to be funny and ends up only being anachronistically offensive towards LGBT people.
I dunno, WotG was just not my cup of tea despite having undoubtely a much higher quality in dialogues and cut-scenes.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-09-11 01:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

ToAU was nice but it's a bit too much of "its own thing" to really reach the level of epicness of other expansions.
Also I feel like the ending is a bit rushed down if you ask me.
Talking just about the story of course, not the content.

I guess the same could be said for Seekers of Adoulin, that it's its own thing. Despite that I loved both, don't get me wrong.

I think RoV is the only other "expansion" that manages to get to the CoP-like (even beyond) levels of epicness. Yes it's full of retcons and cheap narrative devices, but it tries so hard to get everything together, to connect all the loose ends, and in the end I think they managed to deliver a pretty satisfying plot, to that end.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-09-11 04:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So the new chat channel broke a lot of plugins, and I can't even see where it is? how do you access it at all, to help or ask for questions.
VIP
By Lili 2020-09-11 08:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Also I feel like the ending is a bit rushed down if you ask me.

"A bit"? Understatement of the century. So much potential, all squandered, starts nicely, evolves wonderfully, then BAM last 6 missions wrap everything up in a hurry and the final confrontation is the most MEH moment ever. I was sorely disappointed.

And
Asura.Sechs said: »
I guess the same could be said for Seekers of Adoulin

does it pretty similar, last couple missions suddenly accelerate and you find yourself in front of a boss character that had _no_ bearing on the story for the first 3/4s of the content.

These duckers need to take writing classes >_>

RadialArcana said: »
So the new chat channel broke a lot of plugins, and I can't even see where it is? how do you access it at all, to help or ask for questions.

It's not in the game yet, only a packet changed and we don't know if it's in preparation of the chat channel, it might be unrelated.
[+]
By soralin 2020-09-11 08:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Price on lustreless wings dropped to 2mil already, but I have a feeling that wont last terribly long once the initial rush of people running it wears off and people put 2 and 2 together and realize 2mil/stack of wings is monumentally less profitable than even 1.5mil/stack of hides or scales.

Prolly a good idea to buy in now if you intend to make a contemplator or Loess barbuta, I expect wings will actually sit at around 3 mil once the market levels out and that initial big wave of free Large boxes gets soaked up.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-09-11 09:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

JP Wiki is saying that they think the Omelette Sandwich could be either a hidden recipe or not implemented yet. x12 NQ are obtained from the new TVR mission.
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-11 10:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
Asura.Mims said: »
Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
. Gaxe aint even close to being most stuff for drk but ah still uses a semi bad spreadsheet so it is what it is.

I don't know what you are smoking, but Lycurgos Drk is REALLY good. As in, its still useful alongside multiple R15s.

-You pretty much have a 1000TP bonus as long as you have Drain 3 up. (5000+ max HP iirc)
-The accuracy is slightly above a Caladbolg (atleast it is for me)
-The Steel Cyclone Boost is pretty nice..
-Great Utility with Breaks.
-Able to self SC compression with weapon bash
-Nice boost to MACC
-Excellent for cleaving, the tp bonus makes the radius huge. I cleave Reisenjima with it.
-Has good options for Light and Dark based skillchains

It's a really nice tool to have, and if a DRK is coming back I really recommend picking one up.
Again maybe its because I dont do low end content on Drk or DD in general that I dont think its great but ya. I dont see the value but again clearly people think different. Clearly im smoking the good stuff mims I cant see a thing I'd switch off for Gaxe or make a better weapon over this. Again I play this game different than others so idk. I dont go out looking to make sure "Good" either its top or not when it comes to DD. Sure I guess it low low stuff it would make sense with no buffs but I cant see it even being close to cala or other stuff. I'd rather nageling at the point over dropping more money on an axe thats just subpar. I've never been in a situation where I feel like my drk is bad enough to use ambu weapons. Macc is super meh because what would you use it on to need that? If im solo i rather apoc over Gaxes which shouldn't even be a shock to people. Well given fTP for torcleaver is 4.75 @1ktp idk how or what you looking at when you say its past it but sure I guess? If your basing this off HP then eveytr 5 mins its some what close to cala or any other Rema? I wanna see numbers before I even think of this as real. I'd rather a returning drk do a montante+1 over wasting gil on a weapon thats just ok for when drain 3 is over 2k for it to be worth.
Edit: Gonna save the thread rather just take it to drk forums this has nothing to do with update so lets move it over.

Lycurgos is def worth it imo, specifically for DRK and RUN. It was the 2nd ambu weapon that I upgraded and I use it over Calad or Apoc when cleaving. When you say "top or not", this makes me believe that you just whack'm as a DRK... which is fine I guess. But you're not getting the full utility out of DRK if that's your play style. There are several situations where the stat- from the break ws can make fights much more manageable.

Having said that, you probably won't win a parse with Lycurgos, it isn't a REMA and the price is significantly lower than that of a REMA, but it's a great tool to own for DRK, RUN, (WAR if you don't have REMA).
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 10:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Just the added utility of having access to the Breaks because you bring a Gaxe for DRK is reason alone to have a Lycurgos. Let alone its by far your strongest cleaving option (as has been stated already). When there's no WAR present, starting a fight with TP for an Armor Break then immediately swapping to your "real" weapon has value for everyone in the group, not just your personal DPS.

It can start out as being a phenomenal "free" weapon to CP your DRK up with while you build those RMEAs, but it never loses a place in your arsenal due to the added tools it brings even if it ceases to be your best DPS option.
[+]
 Asura.Mims
user: Ginza
By Asura.Mims 2020-09-11 10:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tawhoya said: »
Having said that, you probably won't win a parse with Lycurgos, it isn't a REMA and the price is significantly lower than that of a REMA, but it's a great tool to own for DRK, RUN, (WAR if you don't have REMA).
When attack is low you absolutely can win a parse vs REMA. The 50% attack bonus on Steel Cyclone is no joke. Its not even hard to gear for, I literally just use my GS and Torcleaver sets for Lycurgos TP and Steel Cyclone, only Upheaval takes a little bit of thought to gear.

At this point there is no point arguing with Justthetip, he's barely coherent in addition to not having a clue what he's talking about.
[+]
 Syn
By Syn 2020-09-11 11:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

CoP's story wasn't fantastic but it brought a truckload of content.

WotG brought us copy pasta for the most part. Sure, the cutscenes are coherent and well executed. But, I'd argue those are trivial in comparison to the gameplay elements an expansion brings.

Promys, Tavnazia, Sea and Limbus were significantly more impressive than Shadowreign zones and WoE. You spend a handful of hours doing story missions and hundreds or thousands in the world. World design > story for all MMOs.

Personally speaking, I'd play an MMO devoid of scripted story entirely, it's never better than b-grade movie writing to begin with.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10