New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » September 2020 Version Update
September 2020 Version Update
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10
By soralin 2020-09-14 05:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldnt lump Sheol in with any other farming method, because you can make a ***tonne of gil from Sheol with an almost naked level 99 thief with just 18% move speed boots.

All those other events require an actually geared and prepped up character.
By SimonSes 2020-09-14 06:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »
I wouldnt lump Sheol in with any other farming method, because you can make a ***tonne of gil from Sheol with an almost naked level 99 thief with just 18% move speed boots.

All those other events require an actually geared and prepped up character.

Yes but you are still limited by KI and by supply and demand, so it doesnt matter. In other words, if you are right and its that easy to farm and so easy to make gils, then everyone will do it and prices will drop naturally. If prices wont drop, it means despite it being easy to farm, people dont like to farm it or have other problems with farming it.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-09-14 06:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally don't farm it (but I'm in the minority, am I not?)

Why? I don't like the thf solo method. I'd love to do it as a party with real people and no mules but the rewards aren't good enough when you split them for 6 people so, obviously, nobody can be bothered to do that.

Can't honestly blame them.
By soralin 2020-09-14 06:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I definitely wouldnt consider odyssey to be an interesting event to run. Farming Omen for swarts and odyssey for lustreless items is exceptionally boring, for sure.

It being boring is implicitly why people pay money for it.

Same reason people pay a lot of money for fish, for most players fishing is mind numbing, despite the fact its basically free to level up. Synergy is another example, people pay 2mil for synergy service, despite the fact grinding up synergy to cap it is extremely easy and doesnt even cost that much, Im pretty sure you could cap it yourself for 2mil.

But it takes hours and hours and hours of mind numbing work.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-09-14 06:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, I like having stuff to do with friends, a small static, rotate jobs, try to get better, improve efficiency, enjoy the shared loot.

Of course it would get boring after a while, everything does at least for me, I have very little patience and even less motivation.
But I'm sure having an Odyssey static for a couple of months would be fun.

It's just that the daily KI entry system makes it complicated.
Statics usually meet once or twice per week and do multiple runs.
With this system you'd have to meet every day.
Thanks but nope.
And you have the unefficiency of the shared loot as well. Even if you can realistically do more things with a pt than you can do solo, when you split for 6 it's still waaaaay less than you'd get as a solo THF or multibox with mules.
So... yeah, nobody bothers.

Shame if you ask me, but w/e, I won't cry about it.
[+]
By soralin 2020-09-14 06:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You can store the KI and do 2 runs back to back, every 2 days. Much like how you can do 4 omen runs back to back if you store one KI.

I havent seen much info on the drop rates for killing NMs and whatnot. Id be kind of curious to see how much loot people walk out with when running in a 6 man group.

I feel like if SE just made it so that odyssey NMs dropped individual loot, and opening chests gave drops to everyone, not just to the loot pool, it would be so much more functional.

In its current design though it is extremely solo focused. But then again, its kind of nice to have some solo specific content, not everything in the game needs to be group oriented.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-09-14 07:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

NMs have 4 guaranteed drop slots, of which each is usually a mat but sometimes a normal box. I haven't recorded data, but I'd put them at somewhat better than a chest, but worse than a coffer.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-09-14 07:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah that's nice for sure. Granted I'm not entirely sure that's what they were planning for xD
By soralin 2020-09-14 08:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Still vastly less than what is needed to make it worth running not solo.

Fundamentally if you can clear 4/4 floors solo, there's zero encouragement to bring others, in fact it directly discourages you from doing it.

So bizarre too, tbh, since Sheol is built on top of Unity, and Unity is basically the exact opposite. I loved how Unity was designed directly encouraging your to form up with others since you just get personal drops, so there's no harm in farming with other folks, much like Voidwatch.

But Sheol is... well everything but that, kind of sucks, I really wonder what SE's intent was behind designing so much content that directly discourages teamwork, when everything else they've made before it was the opposite. Sheol just seems so... antithetical to SE's core design direction.

Ambuscade - Gallantry directly scales with party members, encouraging 6/6 parties for max rewards.

Dynamis D - Bonus loot for bringing along folks who havent got their clear, and mask progress doesnt get hampered by more people joining.

Unity - Personal drop rewards means no downside to bringing friends.

Omen - Variety of the challenges encourage a diverse party that can hit multiple different goals, to such a degree the optimal strategy is to just bring a bunch of different people to make multitasking easier.

Delve - Plasm is individual and can be used to purchase personal rewards anyways, so there's no harm in bringing others really.

Skirmish - Personal loot pools again, which means everyone gets their own rewards, though you do need to split some of the shared loot.

Incursion - Personal drops again

Sinister Reign - Personal drops

Vagary - 5/5 clear KI turn in means very little need to "fight" over loot, you can just get your item of choice anyways.

(Note how most of the stuff listed above doesnt really get merc'd much, except Dyna D because it has a high barrier of entry)

Not so good stuff

Geaes Fete - Though loot is shared here, you can also build up your personal reward vorseals to, once again, get personal rewards and gradually lower competition and encourage grouping up yet again. But these vorseals take a decent bit of work and investment to get, a steep entry cost for newer characters. And this in turn makes Geaes fete a common target for mercing.

HTMB - Personal rewards to some degree, but this is still content for the most part you actually have to compete for drops. Weirdly, they also chose to make the entrance KI required by all members, depriving the possibility of any type of "Your pop your drop" approach either, which was what made the original BCNM fights popular for grouping up. This in turn has kind of made the content not group friendly, since typically everyone wants the same item, and as we are witnessing HTMBs are amongst the top most merc'd content.

And finally we have.... Odyssey.

Odyssey - Get ***, why would you ever even entertain the thought of running this stuff with other people? There's literally zero reason or benefit to bringing people along. Its a zero sum game with limited entry and time gates.

So weird seeing SE put out something like Odyssey, it just sticks out like a sore thumb.
[+]
By Taint 2020-09-14 08:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If Moogle Mastery ever becomes a thing than the groups will be way ahead of the chest farms for said items/content.

As it sits Chest farming is the best use of time but it makes the content an absolute ***tier of a chore. Running around avoiding mobs for 20-30 minutes avoiding Mimics is like a crappier version of Mars Orb farming.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-14 08:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fundamentally if you can clear 4/4 floors solo

4 NMs maybe. 4 full floors, I doubt anybody can accomplish this. Odyssey, by SE's own description is "explorer type content". The zones are just huge. You spend almost half of your time just in travelling or avoiding unnecessary aggro/time wasters. The maps are too big for a 30-minute event, I feel like it's still too short.

You don't go to Odyssey solo looking for max treasure haul, unless you do the THF method. Any other method you would walk out with less than 5-6 boxes, which is barely a stack. The real benefit to Odyssey for any player is the Moogle Mastery rank system, which is sort of a conundrum. Getting daily progress for a larger goal seems like a novel idea, until you see that the best path towards farming MM (which only currently enhances trusts) involves just smashing NMs in a party. Which invalidates your real need for trusts to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised to see them build on MM somehow, perhaps making it so solo players can net more spoils per run (like a TH effect). Because Key Farming is clearly superior when it comes to farming gil.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-09-14 09:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Why even making it drop tho? They nerfed sparks, so its kinda good they provide another gil farming methods. If you dont like the price, you probably just farm gils different way and want to buy Odyssey things, but then someone who farm Odyssey can ask to drop farming potency of your event by 70%. Doesnt make sense. Its really the same for Swarts or anything else. Everyone can farm those easily. There is almost no special requirements, yet many people whine about the price. Even people who get gils from mercing should thinks about this twice. If people wont be able to farm gils, they wont be able to pay for mercing. Unless merc groups only target people who buy gils from RMT those days?

I didnt mean i want the mat price to drop. What i would prefer is some way to increase the speed of farming / real world time, mainly focused on multibox/multimule.

If i wanted to run my 1$ mule through the content, i could spend entire day, but i wont do this. On the other side, if i just needed to grab them and jump to last floor to personal (large) chest, then i would do yes, because seems good source.

But increasing this offer would surely drop the mat prices as a consequence.

But why proposing this idea? Because aside assura, probably you gonna have some shortage of mats given you just can do one zone per day, if youre ever commited to this daily, and if strictly farming mat, you gonna prefer the one who pays more. Assura never gonna have shortage of mats, the same cant be said to the rest. Eventually they gonna need to fix the KI entrance or provide extra methods of farming like they did with vagary so that those UNM gear dont becomes ignored. Personally, i would surely make some pieces if its prices were lower. Some pieces are worth, just not worth to pay over 10m for a piece.

Finally, regarding comparation between spark/accolade and farming lustress items, while its true from a player standpoint, its not true in general. You arent creating cash selling lustress items. Unfortunelly, the more you farm, the less you gonna earn in the future.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2020-09-14 10:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Fundamentally if you can clear 4/4 floors solo

4 NMs maybe. 4 full floors, I doubt anybody can accomplish this. Odyssey, by SE's own description is "explorer type content". The zones are just huge. You spend almost half of your time just in travelling or avoiding unnecessary aggro/time wasters. The maps are too big for a 30-minute event, I feel like it's still too short.

You don't go to Odyssey solo looking for max treasure haul, unless you do the THF method. Any other method you would walk out with less than 5-6 boxes, which is barely a stack. The real benefit to Odyssey for any player is the Moogle Mastery rank system, which is sort of a conundrum. Getting daily progress for a larger goal seems like a novel idea, until you see that the best path towards farming MM (which only currently enhances trusts) involves just smashing NMs in a party. Which invalidates your real need for trusts to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised to see them build on MM somehow, perhaps making it so solo players can net more spoils per run (like a TH effect). Because Key Farming is clearly superior when it comes to farming gil.
It is possible to get good lustreless farms without the key method; I used to average about 200 scales/run (with a record of 263) farming Sheol A normally, and I wasn't capped on Aurum Strongbox discounts yet, so there's still room for improvement.

The problem is, it takes a LOT of chest farming to get izzat costs down and coffer/strongbox spawn rates up that much, as well as a very powerful DD job, as opposed to being able to do it with a naked 99 THF right off the bat. Plus, Sheols B and C will naturally be less rewarding for people doing the content normally than A as long as the prices between materials are similar, since the monsters are significantly stronger.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-09-14 11:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
The real benefit to Odyssey for any player is the Moogle Mastery rank system

That would only be true if MM mattered, which it doesn't. MM ranks are like Monstrosity levels and instincts, only relevant to the content they are built in and have zero bearing to anything outside. Now if they made MM apply outside of Odyssea, then it might make a minor difference to the population that actually cares about trusts.

Second best way to get the real benefit out of Odyssey, the materials for upgrading gear, is "solo" as a THF with a dual box mule that has Raise and Reraise. Get the materials, go upgrade the gear, move on with our lives. Maybe they'll put a set of "end level" boss's with unique gear or points system like plasm to buy that gear after killing the boss. Would give a reason to do Oydssea in a group.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-09-14 12:01:53
Link | Quote | Reply

"The best" is reraise earrings and clipping away from aggro to reraise instead of burning two accounts. Burning half your profits.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-14 12:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
It is possible to get good lustreless farms without the key method; I used to average about 200 scales/run (with a record of 263) farming Sheol A normally

Sheol A is easier to do this. You can warp to Floor 5 or 3 and start working your way down. The beastmen are much easier to handle and the normal monsters die in one WS. Mostly everything can be slept as well. This is likely not the case in Sheol B, and definitely not the case in C.

Assuming you could repeat these results in B/C, you are also entirely subject to more random variables: chance of where the Agon Halos pop; if it is all the way across the map or if it has an unfavorable monster selection (Slimes, Chigoes, Tauri etc). There is too much red tape behind trying to plan an effective farming run solo with trusts using the kill method, so whatever success you could make on one run, you're less likely to see that kind of yield on a repeat basis. Whereas just going the key method, you will get Mimics, but you don't have to deal with the randomness and annoyance as much. If MM affected your box/large box drop rate from fodder/NMs (maybe it does higher up), that would be a fantastic advantage to MM levelling for solo kill farming method.
[+]
By soralin 2020-09-14 12:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I will note, the layouts in Sheol C are very linear and easy to go through, I mean Floor 2 of Sheol C is basically just a single square, the halo is always like, right there.

Floor 1 is basically a straight line, easy to find the halo on that one.

Floor 4 is also basically a straight line.

Only Floor 3 involves a small bit of backtracking, but so far I havent ever seen the halo in the side section, its generally in the main big middle area, so also pretty easy to locate.

And since its only 4 floors, I think the difficulty kind of offsets its shortness.

Doesnt change the fact though that the vast majority of Sheol C augments targets are trash though, only a couple items anyone cares about so demand is very very low.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-14 12:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You completely ignored the annoyance of some of the Beastmen + Monster Types they included in Sheol C. Chigoes + Mamool Ja Savages. Lamiae (SUPER annoying). Soulflayers. Tons of disgusting status ailments to have to worry about also. Normal monsters hit a lot harder and take a bit longer to kill. These are variables you cannot control and are much more challenging to manage your time through. Whereas with key farming, you only have to worry about keying and reraising (safely).

It's not quite a matter of "the maps are smaller, agons are easier to find, the runs should be similar". It's not at all.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2020-09-14 12:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I acknowledged all that in my post, Buukki >.>
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-14 13:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok sorry. Wasn't disregarding what you said, just reiterating in detail the horrible grind that solo kill farming nets in spoils just the bare naked method. It's so unbalanced, it's not even worth mentioning it being comparable in how much you can bring in.
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2020-09-18 07:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious if anyone has made any progress unraveling the mystery of the Omelette Sandwich?
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-09-18 09:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mikumaru said: »
Just curious if anyone has made any progress unraveling the mystery of the Omelette Sandwich?
Nothing, and the same goes for JP Wiki.
By Jetackuu 2020-09-18 09:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

so there's no harm in farming with other folks, much like Voidwatch.
um, hp does scale past a party, so that discourages outright leeching the harder NMs but still quite child's play for most.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nekhekh
Server: Bismarck
user: nekhekh
By Bismarck.Nekhekh 2020-09-18 12:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn’t it (omelette samich) only from the new quest/mission involving the Galka boy? That’s all I’ve been able to find so far.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 13:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nekhekh said: »
Isn’t it (omelette samich) only from the new quest/mission involving the Galka boy? That’s all I’ve been able to find so far.

the +1 version implies its craftable is what I think is driving some people crazy.
By Pantafernando 2020-09-18 15:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe a future recipe?

The +1 stuff is funny. There is a SoA quest that rewards you a Midras Helm +1. But there is no Midras Helm NQ.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [94 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Firlei
Server: Carbuncle
user: Firlei
By Carbuncle.Firlei 2020-12-21 21:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Has no one tried an imperial omelette and white bread?
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10