New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » July 2020 Version Update
July 2020 Version Update
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10
By Pantafernando 2020-07-09 03:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I wont complain but since i started working on my 1$ back when i notice i could use them to extra bodies on ambuscade, something semeed fishy when i could just warp from home nation to jeuno, a trip thats one of the first big challenges to new players.
By Aoibhe 2020-07-09 03:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting around in this game is a big enough chore as it is, why SE deems it necessary to have you walk to a HP first in order to warp there is beyond me.

Don't worry, they're just going to sell you all the HP unlocks for $10 soon enough away.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-07-09 03:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Aoibhe said: »
Getting around in this game is a big enough chore as it is, why SE deems it necessary to have you walk to a HP first in order to warp there is beyond me.

Im not trying to white knight but just answering the points you mentioned, first one: about getting around is a big chore, when you pay for monthly subscription, in terms of business you need to add things that takes long to be achieved, so that you can extend a player subscription and that equate to more incomes.

The second one, why you need to touch a HP first to warp, this is one of the "progression" a char can have. Your progression can be related to how many HPs you have it unlocked. Allowing you to bypass this procedure of touching the HP to warp means youre skipping steps toward progression.

Again, not trying to white knight, but i think all you said do have a sense, why running is a chore, and why you need to touch HP to warp to/from it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2020-07-09 03:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

RIP Al Zhabi homepoint.
[+]
By Ermah 2020-07-09 03:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Aoibhe said: »

Don't worry, they're just going to sell you all the HP unlocks for $10 soon enough away.

Can you name a single video game that automatically unlocks all warps for you before you go to them first?

I also do not understand second part of comment. Why do you feel SE is a pay to win company or a company with many microtransactions? I did not think FFXI even had any microtransactions.
[+]
By Aoibhe 2020-07-09 04:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

WoW has portals all over the place.

Monthly fee for additional storage.

Check out FFXIV to see how much SE enjoys milking customers where they can.
By Shichishito 2020-07-09 05:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ermah said: »
Why do you feel SE is a pay to win company or a company with many microtransactions?
they (probably) wouldn't do it as obvious as he suggested, they put a lot of effort to shape the game in a way to make it pay2win without relying on a ingame shop cause they are affraid the playerbase wouldn#t accept it. however the introduction of wardrobes and content that heavily benefits of multiboxing is nothing but pay2win. the difference is that its not a 1 time payment but a additional subscription on top of the base subscription.

from what i've heard a realm reborn has straight up a item shop with all sorts of pay2win mechanics and lockstyles available. SE is definitely a pay2win company.

reminds me of EAs lootbox systems. if you ask them those aren't gambling but "fun surprise mechanics". its all just a matter of framing and often companies get away with it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2020-07-09 05:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I popped a NM on floor 1 today after clearing the Halo (still costs 10 points.) I believe the NM was a Borealis Shadow reference named Spyrysyon. There was initially only one of him, but two more copies spawend when he used Invincible. I switched target to them and killed and they didn't repop. They didn't have much HP.

He killed August with 600 damage melee hits almost immediately, but I blame Ygnas for running all over the place. I played it safe and used Inner Strength after he popped his clones. I'd bet I could repeat that kill successfully 95%+ of the time on MNK+GEO.

No moogle mastery levels in Sheol B yet for me, but it still reports my level 9 from Sheol A so I'm wondering if it just uses the max Moogle Mastery level across zones.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but chest costs reset, so I'm back to paying 10 for a chest.
 Ragnarok.Kogenta
Server: Ragnarok
user: Kogenta
By Ragnarok.Kogenta 2020-07-09 05:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
Why do you feel SE is a pay to win company or a company with many microtransactions?
they (probably) wouldn't do it as obvious as he suggested, they put a lot of effort to shape the game in a way to make it pay2win without relying on a ingame shop cause they are affraid the playerbase wouldn#t accept it. however the introduction of wardrobes and content that heavily benefits of multiboxing is nothing but pay2win. the difference is that its not a 1 time payment but a additional subscription on top of the base subscription.

from what i've heard a realm reborn has straight up a item shop with all sorts of pay2win mechanics and lockstyles available. SE is definitely a pay2win company.

reminds me of EAs lootbox systems. if you ask them those aren't gambling but "fun surprise mechanics". its all just a matter of framing and often companies get away with it.

Are we considering jump potions for jobs(to 70, not even to cap) and main scenario mission skips a pay2win? In a game where the true endgame is glamour?
I'd consider pay2win something that helps you actually WIN a content where you actively do something, in FFXI would be selling prim brews in a cash shop, in XIV selling last tier weapons in shop without clearing the content (atm would be shiva weapons) and it's not happening.

From my very personal point of view, XIV shop is not nearly p2w as it is. It's okay for a game that focus on casual, vertical progression where every patch totally wipes out the previous one to maintain easy access to new players.
By Ermah 2020-07-09 05:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are very silly. FFXI is not a micro-transaction heavy game. A couple dollars for extra wardrobe is completely optional, and very affordable! "Buying another account" is a silly argument that a game is pay to win. You do not need multiple accounts! I think all items in FFXIV are for looking pretty that cost money, except skipping story, which is optional and does not provide person with anymore benefit!

If you want to see pay to win, try Blade and Soul, try Black Desert Online.

But this is silly argument from silly person, maybe you should stick with World of Warcraft if that is your standard of a 'good' MMO.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-07-09 05:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool story bro. You forgot PVP in both games is fun addition that almost none takes serious and there is also afaik no rankings for PvE. Also its first time I hear you have some p2w stuff to buy in ffxiv. I heard exactly opposite. It's very subjective to say whats winning in this game too. For some people winning is having fun with friends and multiboxing wont help you with that.
By Shichishito 2020-07-09 05:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

we could dance around the right terminology all day. bottom line extra inventory space is a convenience item you pay for just like the faster mounts that are offered in every other pay2win MMO.
bottom line alt accounts are a power increase much like a primeval brew, a multiplier to rewards earned, a key to content that is locked behind 3 player entry requirement and on top of that probably a way to ensure SE looks away if you utilize certain types of automation.
By Ermah 2020-07-09 07:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Then every game in the world that is online is pay to win, because you can buy multiple accounts and play multiple characters on every game. More characters is always more power than less characters, so therefore there is no online game that is not pay to win. Which is why I call you a silly person. It is silly logic.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-07-09 07:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Y'all want a P2W game? Go play Planet Side 2. The game literally gives all 'paid members +100% exp gains'. This means as a free player you have to be double as skilled, or put in double the time, as a paying player to be competitive. As a PvP focused game, groups that tend to attract new players are by default weaker due to this system and balancing goes out the window.

It's one of the only games I've found where people do NOT want returning players/new to play with them. And thus, recruitment of the game is limited.
By geigei 2020-07-09 08:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

No kind soul willing to update bg unity augment page on bg?
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-07-09 08:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

look again
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-07-09 08:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Its amazing how many people are actually mad at SE for fixing something that was clearly an exploit and unintended behavior.

Superwarp still works, its just less convenient if you havent been to where you want to go.

Whats more amazing is that this is just one thing in a very very very long list of things that SE doesnt do a server side check on. How many times now have they been burned because the server blindly trusts what the client is telling it?
[+]
By geigei 2020-07-09 08:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
look again
I wass refering to this page:
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Unity_Rewards#Melee

I see that once you open item page it haz the augments.

Edit: Nevermind, now it shows, thank you guys.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-07-09 08:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Unity_Rewards

edit: I guess it's being split off (since I think the last time I glanced at it), so just click those links at the top.

edit2: think I was just getting a cached page maybe? idk, I was checking on a different computer
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-07-09 08:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Its amazing how many people are actually mad at SE for fixing something that was clearly an exploit and unintended behavior.

Superwarp still works, its just less convenient if you havent been to where you want to go.

Whats more amazing is that this is just one thing in a very very very long list of things that SE doesnt do a server side check on. How many times now have they been burned because the server blindly trusts what the client is telling it?

Im actually impressed how many people are just voicing this thing out in the open here.

Because most players should have already most of those warps unlocked either by legitimely unlocking, or doing reverse (warping there then unlocking).

If this actually bother someone, its just people that have been resorting on “farming” new accounts often.

I believe even RMT that dont uses this kinda of approach would take months till they notices something was off.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-07-09 09:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing with Fi Follet is the following choice:

Do you prefer semi-free fast cast Cape but that consumes 9 inv slots?

Or

Do you prefer to spend (around) 60M for a fast cast cape but save 8 inv slots?
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-07-09 09:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Then every game in the world that is online is pay to win, because you can buy multiple accounts and play multiple characters on every game. More characters is always more power than less characters, so therefore there is no online game that is not pay to win. Which is why I call you a silly person. It is silly logic.
it keeps amazing me how ppl pick one point of a opposing opinion, completely dismiss other points made in order to form a counterargument around it and then add a insult on top as if it provides more validity to their strawman.
[+]
By cuddlyhamster 2020-07-09 14:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Isnt all games, online or not, pay2win? I dont buy games to lose. except sekiro...
By Pantafernando 2020-07-09 14:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lottery
 Asura.Finbar
Server: Asura
user: Finbar
By Asura.Finbar 2020-07-09 20:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

it keeps amazing me how ppl pick one point of a opposing opinion, completely dismiss other points made in order to form a counterargument around it and then add a insult on top as if it provides more validity to their strawman.
One point? Your primary logic of calling FFXI a pay-to-win game is on the notion that people can have multiple accounts, which is possible in all MMOs (perhaps a bit harder in FPS MMOs). I agree that mules are an advantage, but it seems hyperbolic nonetheless to call that "pay2win", given that I literally disabled most of my mules because the advantage is so small and it's soul sucking to log them in every day.

Even calling FFXIV pay-to-win is somewhat accurate but also hyperbolic, since the vast majority of the cash shop items are vanity. Even the mount speed you mentioned isn't faster than players who have progressed in the story can move. It's an early game advantage only.

Virtually every MMO player on Earth agrees that to "win" a MMO, while impossible, would probably involve endgame. None of the cash shop items in FFXIV involve endgame. I'd argue you have a definition problem, given you're completely ignoring one-third of the words in "pay to win".
[+]
By Aquatiq 2020-07-09 20:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

how about this imagined "advantage" isn't an advantage at all unless you superfuckingovercare about what other players accomplish, eh? seems like people can't play this game unbothered, not 18 years ago, not now
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2020-07-09 20:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

p2w is an accusation leveled at f2p games with the implication that you can play for free but you have to pay to win.

FFXI makes you pay to play, so of course it's pay to win. Not that it's actually possible to "win," but I'm pretty sure if someone has done it they weren't on a free trial account.

Someone doing better damage in FFXI, which is almost what p2w discussions focus on, because they paid more money to make their time investment more efficient via wardrobes, mules, etc. is definitely paying more, but three things:
1) FFXI isn't like a gatch mobile game. A mule is $14/mo, right? Wardrobes are $2/mo. Let's not compare it to a $200/week mobile menace
2) Setting up and using mules, even as bots, doesn't take 0 effort.
3) Nothing in the game is unobtainable without mules/wardrobes.

The game is super old at this point and if someone was really dedicated to a job and played consistently, they would have whatever they want for it at this point. If Joe Schmo wants to pay more than me and coordinate a mule orchestra to get every RMEA and be more versatile, I doff my cap to him. The balance point for me is 1 main, 1 mule, with wardrobes on main.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-07-09 20:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

the phrase "pay to win" doesn't specify what you win. you say its "the game" but it obviously can also be time, convenience or more drops. but as i said you can circle jerk all day around the terminology, call it pay2win, pay2progress or what have you, it doesn't matter.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-09 20:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI is pay to play and pay to expedite, but you're already losing by default. Best case scenario: the least loser.

Asura.Nyarlko
user: Nyarlko
By Asura.Nyarlko 2020-07-09 22:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The simplest takeaway on the mention of paid storage is "Like Wardrobe 3/4, but for more than just equipment."

The key point that no one else is talking about is that they are talking about something entirely separated from the current inventory system. They can't just add more bags at this point. This is a technical limitation that can not be bypassed. (They went over all of this a few years ago on JPside of OF after Fujito like.. drunk Tweeted on the wrong Twitter account and JPs freaked out, so they had to actually explain what he was talking about "breaking the inventory system". I don't think there was a peep about this officially in English unfortunately.) My theory is that the inventory system was hardcoded to a 1024 limit, we have 12x 80 slot bags (960 items total per character) and adding another 80 slot bag would put us over that magic number.

Here's hoping we don't get something like Mog Garden only storage chests, because it will kill the utility/benefit if it takes minutes just to zone in when we want to access it.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10