Sea torques for sale
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-22 22:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto said:
Unless your torque has agi (for ranged attacks, and my argument was on marksmanship not hope torque), or dex (for melee attacks) you have 7 attack vs 3-4 acc.

Let's say you're on a job like Sam. Sam's damage is split up 30% DoT 70% WS
damage approximately.

The 3-4 acc applies to ALL of your damage

The str/attack only applies to 30% of your damage.

When you TP in str/attack they just add damage to your hit, only add to your DoT
When you TP in acc, it increases your DoT AND your ws damage, because you land more hits, gain more TP and will WS more times. For the torques they are better for DoT yes, but your damage isn't DoT only. The only way torques w/o the exceptions (dex+ and agi+ torques for extra acc/racc) will beat pcc in uncapped acc, is if you only use DoT and never WS at all.

Nightfyre said:
Korpg: You would be correct for sufficiently high accuracy, but consider that accuracy also affects the WS portion of your DoT while the the attack from a torque does not. Thus, you see the full benefit of the acc as long as you don't cap early, but the value of attack in TP phase is reduced when considering your overall DoT.

Quoting both so I can respond likewise:

Excuse me, but isn't that why great DDs have 2 sets?

1 set = TP in. Meaning you only use this set to TP in.
1 set = WS in. Meaning you only use this set to WS in.

So, if you TP in Sea Torque (like most people with them do) and WS in Sea Gorget (like most people with them do) then wouldn't you, you know, TP only in the Torque?

I have 3 sets for BLM. Using this as an example:

1 Nuking Set (since my accuracy is already near cap with my gear towards high resist mobs, I only need one nuking set)
1 Enfeebling Set
1 hMP Set

You don't nuke with your hMP set on. Nor would you Enfeeble with your Nuking set. So, why won't this concept apply to DDs?
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-10-22 22:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
I mean, come on now, not including the stat bonus, the +6.3 (considering that 1 skill = .9 acc and attack after skill 200) means that you are really getting a total bonus of +12.6 acc/att. You should realized (since people are quoting math here) that +12.6 > +10.

1ATK =/= 1ACC; it's more-so 2:1 most of the time, even 3:1 to further extents, just because attack during the TP phase really is that lacklustering, all the way until you're capping accuracy on something (which of course, the harder the target, the more evasive it'll be).

So in reality, for a bulk number on statistics (as much as they shouldn't be used ever), you're looking at about 3.5 via the attack, and 6.3 via the accuracy... though decimals shouldn't really count for this (they should be dropped).

9.7 vs 10, hm.

And even then, that's with the 2:1 ratio; 3:1 crushes torque even further, and with one-handed weapons, you can bet your rear 3:1 will be a lot more common.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-22 22:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ironguy said:
Korpg said:
I mean, come on now, not including the stat bonus, the +6.3 (considering that 1 skill = .9 acc and attack after skill 200) means that you are really getting a total bonus of +12.6 acc/att. You should realized (since people are quoting math here) that +12.6 > +10.

1ATK =/= 1ACC; it's more-so 2:1 most of the time, even 3:1 to further extents, just because attack during the TP phase really is that lacklustering, all the way until you're capping accuracy on something.

So in reality, for a bulk number on statistics (as much as they shouldn't be used ever), you're looking at about 3.5 via the attack, and 6.3 via the accuracy... though decimals shouldn't really count for this (they should be dropped).

9.7 vs 10, hm.

And even then, that's with the 2:1 ratio; 3:1 crushes torque even further, and with one-handed weapons, you can bet your rear 3:1 will be a lot more common.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't skill = .9 attack after 200 skill level?

Also, isn't skill = .9 accuracy after 200 skill level?

So, if my math is correct, +7 skill = 6.3 attack. At the same time, +7 skill = 6.3 accuracy.

See, the way I understand it, skill increases does double duty. It increases both attack and accuracy at the same time.

If I'm correct about this, and I do believe I am.
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 22:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

"1 set = TP in. Meaning you only use this set to TP in.

So, if you TP in Sea Torque (like most people with them do) and WS in Sea Gorget (like most people with them do) then wouldn't you, you know, TP only in the Torque?"

Because we're only looking at TP

Let's say we TP in PCC and WS in Gorget
Now
Let's say we TP in Torque and WS in Gorget.

When you TP in ACC it helps ALL of your damage, not just your DoT because the extra TP you get indirectly increases your WS dmg because you gain more tp.

When you TP in attack/str, it ONLY helps your DoT, improves your dmg/hit but does nothing to help how often you WS
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 22:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, you do get acc and attack, but in the end when comparing pcc to torque, you get
3-4 acc vs 7 attack.

3-4 acc > 7 attack, provided your acc is not capped

Acc helps ALL of your damage
Attack/str ONLY helps your DoT.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-22 22:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

1:1 skill:attack always, 1:0.9 skill:accuracy above 200 skill.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-22 22:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto said:
"1 set = TP in. Meaning you only use this set to TP in.

So, if you TP in Sea Torque (like most people with them do) and WS in Sea Gorget (like most people with them do) then wouldn't you, you know, TP only in the Torque?"

Because we're only looking at TP

Let's say we TP in PCC and WS in Gorget
Now
Let's say we TP in Torque and WS in Gorget.

When you TP in ACC it helps ALL of your damage, not just your DoT because the extra TP you get indirectly increases your WS dmg because you gain more tp.

When you TP in attack/str, it ONLY helps your DoT, improves your dmg/hit but does nothing to help how often you WS

You are still missing the point. You are still showing thought that skill only increases attack.

Yes, you will lose 3.7 accuracy over this. BUT if you already at capped accuracy, that 3.7 accuracy will be null. Having a PCC won't do anything for you if you can get capped 95% accuracy by Torque. So, whats wrong with having +6.3 (at the minimum, you can add on another 3 attack from the STR also) additional attack also? You might be surprised how much of an increase in total DoT you will have from an increase in attack.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 22:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess you forgot to read the part when I said "When acc is uncapped" Nobody here ever once claimed that Pcc > torque when your acc is capped.

Again, when UNCAPPED, pcc > most torques.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-22 22:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
You are still missing the point. You are still showing thought that skill only increases attack.

Yes, you will lose 3.7 accuracy over this. BUT if you already at capped accuracy, that 3.7 accuracy will be null. Having a PCC won't do anything for you if you can get capped 95% accuracy by Torque. So, whats wrong with having +6.3 (at the minimum, you can add on another 3 attack from the STR also) additional attack also? You might be surprised how much of an increase in total DoT you will have from an increase in attack.

You're reading selectively. What we've been saying is to use PCC when you need the acc and the torque when you cap acc regardless.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-10-22 22:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
If I'm correct about this, and I do believe I am.

That rule only applies to accuracy, but if it did to attack, then it'd bring torques down even further to the ground.

I'll repeat it again: 1 ATK =/= 1 ACC unless you're fighting something with extremely mediocre evasion (see: Lv.72-74 stuff).
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-22 22:27:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto said:
Yes, you do get acc and attack, but in the end when comparing pcc to torque, you get
3-4 acc vs 7 attack.

3-4 acc > 7 attack, provided your acc is not capped

Acc helps ALL of your damage
Attack/str ONLY helps your DoT.

Whats keeping you from capping your acc? SAMs can do it easy. RNGs hell yeah. WARs may have a little bit of trouble. MNKs also, but they got better acc gear than WAR. DRGs need no help. PUPs.....lolpup. So, why do you think its so hard to not cap accuracy without adding on your neckpiece? If I can cap accuracy with my Chiv Chain, why can't you?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 22:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You can get better upgrades. Let's say your acc is JUST capped on war. Swap from fort torque to PCC and can swap from acc ring to blitz ring and the 1% haste now beats the 7 attack.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-22 22:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do you guys think its so *** hard to cap accuracy?

Seriously, its got to be the easiest thing to do.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-22 22:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Because not every job can do it and no job can cap accuracy on every mob in the game. Also, other swaps may be more favorable.

EDIT: I take that back, for all I know RNG can and does. No melee job*
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 22:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly, this is why sniper rings+1 only cost 5 gil!
 Garuda.Reublucian
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Reublucian 2009-10-22 22:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You're all HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Everyone knows that Beak Necklaces +1 are the best neck pieces in the game for all situations hands down. I don't even change mine ever.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-10-22 22:58:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Why do you guys think its so *** hard to cap accuracy?

Seriously, its got to be the easiest thing to do.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt for a few mins (probably a huge mistake) and go ahead and ask for your gear sets on war and sam before I comment further.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-23 22:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Because not every job can do it and no job can cap accuracy on every mob in the game. Also, other swaps may be more favorable.

EDIT: I take that back, for all I know RNG can and does. No melee job*

RNG is probably the easiest job in the game to cap accuracy on. Even a mediocre geared RNG shouldn't have a problem hitting higher level monsters. When it comes to HNMs, it's easy to make a build with enough accuracy to ensure maximum hit rate on them. I've never struggled on HNMs, check my profile for a rough overview of my build. I obviously don't use Goblin Coif...

The last time I didn't have capped accuracy (according to a parse) was on DynaLord, and that's probably because we were zerging so I was deliberately using STR gear.

Edited for a little context: 8/8 Marksmanship merits as well, which most certainly make a big difference.