Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide
Destiny's Device - A New/Updated Rune Fencer Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15
 Asura.Chendar
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: chendar
By Asura.Chendar 2023-07-06 11:54:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Since it's way too easy on WAR now the obvious answer for dd set is 100% da build on RUN!

Need either r30 nyameB or ml50 and r25 nyameB and absolute max enhancing skill set for temper (551-601 skill depending on ML)

ItemSet 392013
cape is da/pdt

Obviously not very practial, but you are at least capped on pdt still and good on haste too :P

EDIT: 48pdt, not that it matters all that much lol
[+]
 Fenrir.Surgator
Server: Fenrir
user: blade4
By Fenrir.Surgator 2023-07-13 13:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i was wondering what was the conciensious about agwu set for run? I tought he would be on the sakapa tank set but seem really wierd not have a more beefy set .

What the opinion on it R0 and r30!
By Nariont 2023-07-13 13:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lunge/10
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [183 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Tsukki
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsukki
By Leviathan.Tsukki 2024-01-12 10:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shiraj said: »
Collectable pieces, not really worth time investment: Erilaz Surcoat +1, Erilaz Gauntlets +1.

Does this still hold true? This is pre- sortie empy and I haven't unlocked the +2/+3 to look at yet
By Taint 2024-01-12 10:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Tsukki said: »
Collectable pieces, not really worth time investment: Erilaz Surcoat +1, Erilaz Gauntlets +1.

Does this still hold true? This is pre- sortie empy and I haven't unlocked the +2/+3 to look at yet

Emp 2/3 set is excellent. +3 Legs, Feet, Body would be mandatory with a strong case for Head. Hands are the least important.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Erilaz_Armor_Set
[+]
 Leviathan.Tsukki
By Leviathan.Tsukki 2024-01-12 11:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »

Emp 2/3 set is excellent. +3 Legs, Feet, Body would be mandatory with a strong case for Head. Hands are the least important.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Erilaz_Armor_Set

Thank you ^^
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2024-01-12 12:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I know people on this forum have a hard-on for Erilaz Surcoat but I wouldn't call it mandatory. It's comparable to the AF+3 body for a DT piece, and Adamantite beats both in my opinion despite the mediocre magic evasion. I started out questioning the value of Adamantite for RUN (outside of MDB situations like Aminon) but I've become a solid convert and it's now in basically all of my DT sets.

It also has a strong case for fast cast, but Adhemar+1 has almost as much fast cast and slightly more HP so I use that instead (HP in the fast cast set is a constant struggle).

So ultimately I'd say the same still applies: body & hands may not be "collectable only" but they're definitely optional. Legs/feet/head are all mandatory in my opinion.
[+]
By Taint 2024-01-12 12:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Boost Emnity retention is a pretty exclusive stat that should not be overlooked especially in v20-25 fights.

Its the biggest benefit of Burtgang and thats one of the most popular mythics.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-12 12:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Boost enmity retention, converts damage taken to MP, acc (if you're swinging), solid meva and MDB, and the set bonus, it's just a solid all-around piece.

Add on to that if you're not using gearswap your fast cast set will be on for a full second, so you don't want to be caught wearing squishy stuff like adhemar and die.

I'm not saying you can't beat content without it, but it is a very solid idle piece for tanking, for a number of reasons.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2024-01-12 12:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just CE loss, though- if you're taking close to zero damage, it really isn't doing all that much in most realistic situations.

I think it's a good option (and should be used for precasts) but I do think people tend to overvalue it a little.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-12 13:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Not saying enmity retention stat is useless, but I wouldn't over value it that much. You have to be getting hit pretty hard for the enmity retention stat to be that big of a deal.

Say you get hit for 200dmg (a lot most of the time, but it happens on higher level things on RUN). You have an average max HP of 3300 (might be higher, might be a little lower. Let's use this as an example though).

That 200dmg hit reduces your CE by 109.

Now consider that for many of these fights you'd either have or have access to Sirvente.

It's down to 64. And this is, again, for bigger hits than you're likely to regularly be taking on RUN. It does matter more on some standout attacks like on Ongo where sometimes he can do a physical attack for a few hundred once in a while, but that doesn't happen very often and that's not a fight where losing hate is really a concern to begin with.

Adding the 14% from Erilaz body on there brings it down an extra 16 to a total of 48 lost.

A single Foil with an intentionally lackluster enmity set (80 + Crusade, no Epeolatry) gives 672 CE, Flash gives 378, Gambit and Rayke give 1344 each... etc etc.

Again, not worthless... but you really need to ask yourself how often it actually matters that much. Most of the time you're losing hate because the DDs have met you at the hate cap, not because the mob is deleting your CE so fast that you can't immediately get it back. I'd say it's even less important on Burtgang since PLD would be taking even less per hit damage than RUN normally, if the RUN didn't parry the hit.

That all said, Erilaz Surcoat +3 slaps. It has tons of just about everything you want in a tanking body besides raw DT- which... is so easy to cap now that it doesn't matter. So long as absorbing damage isn't an active hindrance to the fight, it's hard to argue that anything else is better most of the time, especially since something like Adamantite Armor isnt something you can just go get as soon as you want it.

Edit: spent so much time typing that I got beat to my point

Guess as an aside, I think overall Adamantite Armor is the best tanking body period. It has between a little and a lot more DEF, HP, VIT, INT, MND compared to Erilaz as well as twice as much Magic Defense Bonus (huge) and 20% DT in a single slot (doesn't matter for idle/engaged sets but absolutely can and does for lots of other sets where you want lots of hp dt etc in as few slots as possible) all at the cost of 23 Magic Evasion. Realistically, for RUN especially, I really don't think this matters. I wouldn't at all be surprised if RUN is well in excess of the necessary MEVA to floor even the strongest NM's MACC as it is.
[+]
 Siren.Kruel
Server: Siren
user: Kruel666
By Siren.Kruel 2024-01-12 13:28:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Erilaz Surcoat +3's "Converts 8% of physical damage taken to MP" combined with Sroda Belt and Magic Fruit (Master level 45+) is something I really prefer, pretty much negates the entire MP cost of magic fruit if your set is good enough to make it heal for 900+ HP, and can even gain you a very slight amount of MP depending.

With some merits into Inspiration you can cap Cure Potency, alongside -DT and still have it cast in 1 second.

For those who know, there's a specific reason Sroda Belt is extra good for Magic Fruit, but would prefer it to stay that way so not saying the reason why here.

A Rune Fencer with access to almost insta cast, mp cost free 900+ heals is really useful.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-12 13:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what kind of fluffy puppies you guys are fighting where you never get hit for over 0 damage, but I've definitely been chunked for large amounts of HP on RUN, both physical and (in some cases) magical hits. I'm not saying that a regular auto-attack is going to floor me, but some TP moves can be quite dangerous or at least do hundreds of damage.

Also not trying to imply that enmity retention is going to change your life, but if it's a "free" stat on a piece which is already good on several other levels, I weigh it in. Add all that stuff together and I really like the body. Maybe it's not in every single one of your idle sets, but it definitely has a place.

TBH, if you're taking nothing but 0 damage attacks and 200 damage TP moves, who gives a ***what your body is, the enemy can't possibly hurt you and you aren't losing any enmity no matter what you wear. I have found myself more and more moving away from optimizing sets for trash-tier situations, since I'm going to win those either way. I focus on optimizing for the actually difficult content and just trusting those sets will work well enough for the trash too.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-12 13:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
It does matter more on some standout attacks like on Ongo where sometimes he can do a physical attack for a few hundred once in a while, but that doesn't happen very often and that's not a fight where losing hate is really a concern to begin with.

Quote:
Most of the time you're losing hate because the DDs have met you at the hate cap, not because the mob is deleting your CE so fast that you can't immediately get it back.

Reading is half the battle. This is also giving benefit of the doubt and assuming RUN is tanking a physical damage fight at all. Majority of the time you're tanking for a mage setup where losing hate is practically an impossibility. Only two I can think of where you'd be doing predominantly physical damage and have a RUN as the tank would be Arebati and Kalunga, neither of which have you losing hate because of the damage you're taking but because the DDs end up capping before the boss dies (much more for Arebati).

For Sortie for example it's practically always preferred to have a PLD for melee setups simply due to the fact that it lets you drop the WHM. If you were for some reason bringing RUN though. I can't think of a single boss where you'd be in danger of taking any damage. Battuta and One For All zero out every attack on every one of those NMs, and for a strong group they last longer than the fight does (Aside from Aminon where you don't even need those to take 0 the whole time).I'm not really sure which NM you're fighting that is consistently hitting you hard enough with DDs that even have a chance of pulling hate to begin with to where enmity retention makes a meaningful difference in your ability to hold hate.
By Taint 2024-01-12 14:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

All of the arguments read like: "RUN is great, which body you choose doesn't matter, here's why"

Which means take the body with the most gimics which would be Emp+3 unless you need the MDB of Peaches body.
[+]
 Leviathan.Tsukki
By Leviathan.Tsukki 2024-01-12 16:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
It also has a strong case for fast cast, but Adhemar+1 has almost as much fast cast and slightly more HP so I use that instead.

Is the nq equivalently valuable? Or at that point should i stick with the empy?
As far as Adamantite goes, that ain't happening for me for a while based on difficulty.
Also, does RUN have the same tanking ability as PLD for physical? I've heard it's only worth for magical but I'm getting mixed reviews
Note: I'm only on t2 for odyssey and getting someone to carry me is something I'd rather not deal with. I did get Nyame through a ls mate however, and might use that til I can upgrade / obtain more of my gear
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2024-01-12 17:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the nq equivalently valuable? Or at that point should i stick with the empy?
Nah the NQ has exactly the same HP as Erilaz+3 while the Erilaz+3 has 6 more fast cast. Stick with the Empy. The HQ Adhemar has only 3 less fast cast and 25 more HP, still a definite side-grade.

As far as Adamantite goes, that ain't happening for me for a while based on difficulty.
That fight is extremely easy, I try to do it every day even though I already have my Adamantite because it's a good source of EP. I recommend giving it a go. They don't do anything dangerous, just auto attacks, so RUN can parry tank like a champ. I've done it with some extremely janky setups.

Also, does RUN have the same tanking ability as PLD for physical? I've heard it's only worth for magical but I'm getting mixed reviews
Same? No, but close enough to be passable for basically all content in the game? Yes. Especially with an Emboldened Protect and/or some juicy Minnes. And if they can engage? Battuta practically becomes an Invincible on 5 minute cooldown which is just insane, so there are actually some fights where I'd say RUN can tank physical even better than PLD. That Ambuscade against Ramuh comes to mind.

I did get Nyame through a ls mate however, and might use that til I can upgrade / obtain more of my gear
Nyame is absolutely fantastic for that. In fact I use the head/hands in a lot of my RUN's DT sets even now.
[+]
 Leviathan.Tsukki
By Leviathan.Tsukki 2024-01-12 17:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
That fight is extremely easy, I try to do it every day even though I already have my Adamantite because it's a good source of EP. I recommend giving it a go. They don't do anything dangerous, just auto attacks, so RUN can parry tank like a champ. I've done it with some extremely janky setups.

I haven't mastered any jobs yet (I know, shocker) although am su3/4 on quite a few of them. People made it sound pretty harsh and if all I get is exemplar I'd rather wait til I ml one of my jobs for it. RUN is fresh 99 for me, so not sure I can parry tank something like that lol, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone did.

The answers to my questions were all very helpful though, thank you ^^
 Valefor.Philemon
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2024-01-12 17:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

That fight has been a godsend for my RUN ML, I've gone from low teens to 27 solely from that fight.
[+]
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2024-01-15 16:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kruel said: »
Erilaz Surcoat +3's "Converts 8% of physical damage taken to MP" combined with Sroda Belt and Magic Fruit (Master level 45+) is something I really prefer, pretty much negates the entire MP cost of magic fruit if your set is good enough to make it heal for 900+ HP, and can even gain you a very slight amount of MP depending.

With some merits into Inspiration you can cap Cure Potency, alongside -DT and still have it cast in 1 second.

For those who know, there's a specific reason Sroda Belt is extra good for Magic Fruit, but would prefer it to stay that way so not saying the reason why here.

A Rune Fencer with access to almost insta cast, mp cost free 900+ heals is really useful.

As a blue mage, I'll just say flat out it's working as intended... on the other side of the coin Blue Magic 90% of the ripe reaps no benefits from items that list specifically Non blue magic effects, regardless if the resulting spells is effectively the same. There are outliers absolutely, such as blue magic heals gaining benefit from healing magic skill for example, but stoneskin + gear doesn't effect either of BLU's stoneskins.

TL;DR, blue magic isnt healing magic, working as intended, no need to be hush hush... and even if you are SE isn't going to change anything
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-15 20:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Not like it's a secret anyway, everyone knows it works that way
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [47 days between previous and next post]
By trinironnie 2024-03-03 05:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Can someone post their Enchancing / Potency set c.c. Was reading a post with embolden / phalanx and riding it out through an ody run. Embolden / phalanx myself and it's only 2min lol.
 Asura.Bronzequadav
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bronzequadav 2024-03-03 05:54:17
Link | Quote | Reply

You do that by pressing embolden then having a sch perpetuance/accession phalanx onto you, Embolden boosts buffs from other players as well.
[+]
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-03-19 10:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

For the One For All set, recommend changing Turms Leggings +1 to Llwyd's clogs, 25mil cheaper and about an 83 HP difference.

By Godfry 2024-03-19 10:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »
For the One For All set, recommend changing Turms Leggings +1 to Llwyd's clogs, 25mil cheaper and about an 83 HP difference.

I would recommend this change with a slight caution on content. I'd not be using this on V25s, Aminon etc.
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-03-19 11:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Godfry said: »
I would recommend this change with a slight caution on content. I'd not be using this on V25s, Aminon etc.

I understand your concern, and maybe this is a playstyle thing, but I think Aminon's autos are easily timed to weave in a OFA risk-free. For the rest of the Sortie bosses, I usually pop Valiance and OFA before I even engage, so also risk-free.
[+]
By Godfry 2024-03-19 11:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »

I understand your concern, and maybe this is a playstyle thing, but I think Aminon's autos are easily timed to weave in a OFA risk-free. For the rest of the Sortie bosses, I usually pop Valiance and OFA before I even engage, so also risk-free.

I agree. Yeah, these are good points to have that extra 83HP.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2024-03-19 21:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree. Yeah, these are good points to have that extra 83HP.

Do I have to wear these for the duration of One For All or can I swap them out after I use the ability?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-19 21:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

OFA potency is based on your max hp at the time of activation, so just when you use it
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15