Sha'ir Manteel Augment Results?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Sha'ir Manteel Augment Results?
Sha'ir Manteel Augment Results?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Cerberus.Arkhana
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Arkhana
By Cerberus.Arkhana 2009-10-19 17:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

"A good Bard is never seen wearing Sha'ir besides town gear and merits."

Seriously, i feel sorry to read that. Being perfectionist is one good thing, and i approve it ; but, let's not be *elitist*, it's a little arrogant to call "bad" somebody who wears Sha'ir full time. There's nothing wrong about doing that, really...
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-19 17:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not even a BRD main and I can tell you right now Sha'Ir is worthless outside of merits.

It's like a BLM wearing only Fast Cast and MP gear for nuking >.>
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-19 17:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Arkhana said:

Seriously, i feel sorry to read that. Being perfectionist is one good thing, and i approve it ; but, let's not be *elitist*, it's a little arrogant to call "bad" somebody who wears Sha'ir full time. There's nothing wrong about doing that, really...

Errant Houppelande would be a superior fulltime piece and it costs what, 30k? That's not elitism, that's common sense.
[+]
 Valefor.Integral
Server: Valefor
user: Caliber
By Valefor.Integral 2009-10-19 17:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
I'm not even a BRD main and I can tell you right now Sha'Ir is worthless outside of merits.

It's like a BLM wearing only Fast Cast and MP gear for nuking >.>

nice total disregard for the chr+7
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-19 17:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, fine.

That's like a BLM nuking in Black Cotehardie then.

Only that Black Cotehardie cost them 4M whereas there's a perfectly reasonable Igqira body over there for 30k.
[+]
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-19 17:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Arkhana said:

It is wrong, and Errant isn't that expensive. ;s If you have the money to afford Sha'ir there is no excuse not to swap out into an errant for debuffs, I'm sorry, or Vermy for Refresh.

Edit: I'm really not an elitist, as stated before it's just common sense :s
[+]
 Cerberus.Arkhana
By Cerberus.Arkhana 2009-10-19 17:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not going to argue this, but i do believe that calling somebody "bad" for a 3CHR difference is a bit arrogant. It's not a matter of money or anything, it's just a general attitude.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-19 17:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't call them "bad" either.

Just someone with way too much (bought or otherwise) gil and no common sense to use it wisely.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-19 17:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Arkhana said:
I'm not going to argue this, but i do believe that calling somebody "bad" for a 3CHR difference is a bit arrogant. It's not a matter of money or anything, it's just a general attitude.

You're ignoring the fact that it's 30K (if that) vs 4M+. It very much is a matter of whether there's a brain behind your money.
[+]
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-19 17:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Arkhana said:

My point is they have access to Errant. :s Why use an inferior debuff piece when a great one is cheap? I don't fault people who don't have rare/ex gear or expensive gear, I fault rich people who don't buy necessities but instead buy shiny items such as Sha'ir. I've seen many Bards with NQ staves and Sha'ir.
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-10-19 18:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

do mods even affect potency like say mnd/int would for magical debuffs ? or is it sheerly accuracy ? ive only leveled bard a little and never cared about it enough to learn that much about. but if it has nothing to do with potency and only to do with accuracy, who cares ? its like people saying, ONLY use acc ***for multihit ws's, always forever, no matter what.. sure when acc is even slightly an issue, but when your hitting max acc with no food or anything special, why NOT ws in full mods ? if acc isnt an issue for the brd, why would you use errant wasting 3 extra chr and lose the -casting ?
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-19 18:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Blurr said:
do mods even affect potency like say mnd/int would for magical debuffs ? or is it sheerly accuracy ? ive only leveled bard a little and never cared about it enough to learn that much about. but if it has nothing to do with potency and only to do with accuracy, who cares ? its like people saying, ONLY use acc ***for multihit ws's, always forever, no matter what.. sure when acc is even slightly an issue, but when your hitting max acc with no food or anything special, why NOT ws in full mods ? if acc isnt an issue for the brd, why would you use errant wasting 3 extra chr and lose the -casting ?

It's only accuracy, and the point is you can precast in Sha'ir and midcast in Errant and get the best of both worlds. Also accuracy is an issue for lots of bards.
[+]
 Cerberus.Arkhana
By Cerberus.Arkhana 2009-10-19 18:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, once again, i'm not going to argue this with you. Stricto sensu, the Errand Houppelande is a better debuff piece than Sha'ir Manteel, and this shiny piece is far from being something necessary. Now, does 3 CHR make a real noticeable difference ? I personally don't believe so, but i speak from my own experience : I only play BRD occasionally, and most of the time for merit purposes... But yeah, you can say i'm a bad bard, but i would say it's a bit excessive. It's not like i'm wearing CHR- items or using NQ staff and complain that my debuffs don't stick lol.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-19 18:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Arkhana said:
Well, once again, i'm not going to argue this with you. Stricto sensu, the Errand Houppelande is a better debuff piece than Sha'ir Manteel, and this shiny piece is far from being something necessary. Now, does 3 CHR make a real noticeable difference ? I personally don't believe so, but i speak from my own experience : I only play BRD occasionally, and most of the time for merit purposes... But yeah, you can say i'm a bad bard, but i would say it's a bit excessive. It's not like i'm wearing CHR- items or using NQ staff and complain that my debuffs don't stick lol.

If it's only merits, then sure. But honestly you can have both Sha'ir and Errant and not have to worry about things not sticking ever, AND have your lovely -12% songcasting. I'm not going to say you're a bad bard, but if you're going to try to land Elegy on something harder I wouldn't use Sha'ir. At least you're using HQ staffs :3 I always see Sha'ir Bards walking around in the most awful assortment of gear, usually including NQ staves.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
Server: Lakshmi
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-19 20:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Did someone say Sha'ir manteel mats only drop from Vrtra and only 1% of the brd community has it?
Last time I check Bahamut bcnm dropped the mats.

Until I got manteel I was using yigit and errant, its not horrible to swap a peice of gear out for elegy/sleeps and then use sha'ir for normal songs, since you must already be swapping an instrument out for every song already.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-10-19 20:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, over *half* of the people who talk ***about how leet they are weren't around for the games biggest hyperinflation, where SH's were 14million gil. During this time, Promyvions were not gimped, nor were the BC's at the top, and Holla's boss' status skill, which is instant, had Nightmare's effect. Poison did not wake you...meaning not just anybody had Tavnazian Safehold access. Why is this relevant? Not everyone had access to Vir and Femina subligar.

This is critical in knowing if you're going to say only one place ever gave away Cashmere cloths(Vrtra). While it is no longer worth the risk due to the drop in Cashmere Cloth price, a 100+ Clothcrafter can desynth a Femina or Vir subligar for THREE cashmere cloths. This has always been risky though since if you HQ, you lose a shitload of money since a HQ makes one Shining Cloth if I recall...and even at 100CC, it's a 50% success rate.

Like Aaroca said, more than one place still gives out Cashmere cloths. But many, many, many of the Manteels out there are old as dirt, from the hyperinflation.

Story aside, fulltiming a Manteel other than showing people you have the money for one or being a mithra looking for attention? Not smart. At all.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-19 21:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Aaroca said:
Did someone say Sha'ir manteel mats only drop from Vrtra and only 1% of the brd community has it?
Last time I check Bahamut bcnm dropped the mats.

My mistake, I forgot about the wyrm's drops also from Bahamut V2.

I said 5% of the BRD community because the other 95% only abuse it for self satisfaction (i.e. merits). That means 5% of the total BRD population (including those who have it to 75 and yet are on other jobs 99% of the time) actually give a ***and would think about or have bought this for their purposes.

Personally, when I merit as BRD, I don't think that -12%/-25% song casting time is all that great. If you are good enough, you can pull birds, keep them going, sing your songs, Piassiamo or however you spell it and Ballad your healer, and do all this while keeping that chain 213. All by yourself as a buffer.

I have done it before with GIMPY gear. Why should I worry about Song Casting time ***?
 Ragnarok.Spicer
Server: Ragnarok
user: spicer
By Ragnarok.Spicer 2009-10-19 22:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I gotta say full timing sha'ir is not a big deal at all, depends on the person, yigit could work just as well, and as for debuff CHR+7 is very nice besides K.O CHR+10, And I dont find that brd's get much body peices that work for our needs. And what's this about whereing it for attention? Since when did people start wearing gear bc it looked good?!
 Pandemonium.Nususu
Server: Pandemonium
user: nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-10-19 22:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
I'm not even a BRD main

And you think you know what you're talking about?
[+]
 Odin.Ahligieri
Server: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-10-19 22:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
I have done it before with GIMPY gear. Why should I worry about Song Casting time ***?

You may not be a BRD main but I don't see how that frame of mind is good at all. I assume you don't give a ***about usu for your SAM, e body for your WAR, etc.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ezell
Server: Bismarck
user: Ezell
By Bismarck.Ezell 2009-10-20 00:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

wow, never thought I'd see a thread go to ***over a simple question.

To OP: I've yet to see an augment manteel. If woooodum said a JP on Garuda did it i'm sure they did. The piece just doesn't have that much to gain for it to be a popular augment. As stated prior. It would need 3 more CHR to compete with Errant Body, and would need ~13 more to compete with Shadow Body. So why waist the time/gil when you could try for rings with MACC.

To the half-wit BRDs: No BRD should ever wear manteel. It is a pre-cast piece. If you are buffing you swap out Minstrel's if debuffing, anything is better. Period, end of discussion. If you don't swap pieces out you don't understand the job or how to play it and people who are just looking at the job will get the wrong idea. There is a reason why a lot of BRDs don't have Mad,min,troub,night capped or even merited. Cause they think the job don't matter. I sing Marchx2 @ ~10% haste and sleep VT mobs. Try landing elegy on a lvl 80 mob.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-20 11:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahligieri said:
Korpg said:

You may not be a BRD main but I don't see how that frame of mind is good at all. I assume you don't give a ***about usu for your SAM, e body for your WAR, etc.

I do care about that type of gear, but seriously.

If you like the job, you will gear it properly. Since most people only abuse their BRDs for merits only, you won't see many "geared" BRDs. BRD is just an example of how skill > gear if you can keep 4 songs up at all times and still pull every 15 seconds. And be fairly accurate on songs.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-20 11:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with that.

That'd be like saying if you only use your NIN for campaign, why bother with Haidate... Or if you only use your BLM for manaburn, why bother with Morrigans? I, and many other people, put a lot of effort into their jobs. Can't help but take offense at such narrow minded thinking.

Re. A screenshot, I have no idea what the guy's name is. A Japanese Tarutaru Bard... That's like looking for a needle in a heystack.

Edit: Sorry, wrong quote...
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-20 11:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I meant my BRD. Since it has been established that it will never see any action outside of merits (meaning no endgame purposes) then it will never get the same treatment as my BLM gearwise.

I'm sure there are many people out there who level a job just because its fun or just for merits only or just for campaign or just for soloing. Those cases show that they would gear it as such.

in other words: How you use the job determines how you gear it.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-20 11:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
I meant my BRD.

Ah, okay. There was no clear transition from referring to BRD in general and your personal experience.
[+]
By Garuda.Fivestarplayer 2009-10-20 12:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no way in hell I would augment my Sha'ir Manteel. I augmented my Jester's Cape +1 and got CHR -1...with my luck I could see that happening on my Sha'ir.....