2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Odyssey » The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 216 217 218 ... 238 239 240
By SimonSes 2023-01-18 10:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bigtymer said: »
I look forward to hearing about how easily you beat this fight. I mean, you've basically already beaten Bumba, even if in theory only. That counts, right?

Again I'm really sorry that I use forum to discuss strategies in thread created to discuss strategies. None informed me apparently that you can only write about your personal experience here and theorycrafting is forbidden.
[+]
 Bahamut.Suph
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2023-01-18 10:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Bahamut.Suph said: »
They have already given you their winning strategy, if you think you have a better strategy, go test it.

Not better, just different and more suited for my group. Once again, I can't simply test what I want. I have 2 kids, one is 3 months old, full time job and wife who goes crazy when I play more than 90 minutes every other day in the evening (only time when I can play static), so I don't have luxury to try everything.

Yes, we all have those now. And yet, you want Xiu/Chief/whoever else is in the group to evaluate/advise you on strategy more suited to your group? Should they also have to do this for every other groups that's want to kill Mboze? Should they use their experience to evaluate every group's ideas, strategy and job combinations? If not, then why does only your group deserved a strategy specifically tailored to what you have?

In order to save yourself time, you want them to waste their.

They gave you their strategy, you adapt to them, test what you can do with what you have. If they have to evaluate what's best/possibly could work for every group, its going to be a neverending story.
[+]
By SimonSes 2023-01-18 11:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Suph said: »
Yes, we all have those now. And yet, you want Xiu/Chief/whoever else is in the group to evaluate/advise you on strategy more suited to your group? Should they also have to do this for every other groups that's want to kill Mboze? Should they use their experience to evaluate every group's ideas, strategy and job combinations? If not, then why does only your group deserved a strategy specifically tailored to what you have?

In order to save yourself time, you want them to waste their.

Why are you so concerned about Xiu wasting time to answer my questions. I literally "waste" my time almost every day calculating stuff and providing answers for people asking about some WS sets or TP sets and it's my time and I can do whatever I want with it. If Xiu doesn't want to answer she won't. As far as I know Xiu, she is able to perfectly speak for herself and she doesn't need advocate, if anything it's the other way around.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2023-01-18 12:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So yea for the drk was it just sakpata dt and ws chief? Did you use full dt or hybrid set for most of it?
[+]
 Asura.Bigtymer
Server: Asura
user: olson2189
By Asura.Bigtymer 2023-01-18 13:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I look forward to hearing about how easily you beat this fight. I mean, you've basically already beaten Bumba, even if in theory only. That counts, right?

Again I'm really sorry that I use forum to discuss strategies in thread created to discuss strategies. None informed me apparently that you can only write about your personal experience here and theorycrafting is forbidden.

It's the way in which you're making the suggestions I think is off-putting to people in that it comes off as you telling people (who have actually stepped foot into the fight and have tried different strategies/setups on it) that they're wrong and you're right.

There are random elements layered upon random elements on some of these fights that, if you're just theory crafting from a distance and haven't experienced the many pathways to a wipe/timeout yourself, you're just not going to appreciate the nuances. The paralyze from the adds is a good example of one of those nuances. Theorizing from a distance, you don't know how potent the para is, and you don't know how spammy the adds can be with it. If you assume a perfect spreadsheet theoretical scenario in which you don't get meva down aura and you assume that the adds aren't spammy with stink bomb, then you would conclude setup X to be preferable. In actual reality, either of those two things could happen, or both can happen. The PLD being in range and getting hit with that para at the wrong time (and subsequently 4 remedy attempts failing because of said para) could just result in a wipe. The paralyze is very potent - I've seen 4 remedies in a row get interrupted from it, so you can't just throw remedies at the problem and guarantee an instant fix. As I said before, after having actually tried it with a PLD healer setup, I do think it's feasible, but probably less reliable/consistent, and consistency has value when you venture outside the space of perfect theoretical spreadsheet scenarios.
[+]
By SimonSes 2023-01-18 13:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It's the way in which you're making the suggestions I think is off-putting to people in that it comes off as you telling people (who have actually stepped foot into the fight and have tried different strategies/setups on it) that they're wrong and you're right.

There are random elements layered upon random elements on some of these fights that, if you're just theory crafting from a distance and haven't experienced the many pathways to a wipe/timeout yourself, you're just not going to appreciate the nuances. The paralyze from the adds is a good example of one of those nuances. Theorizing from a distance, you don't know how potent the para is, and you don't know how spammy the adds can be with it. If you assume a perfect spreadsheet theoretical scenario in which you don't get meva down aura and you assume that the adds aren't spammy with stink bomb, then you would conclude setup X to be preferable. In reality, either of those two things could happen, or both can happen. The PLD being in range and getting hit with that para at the wrong time (and subsequently 4 remedy attempts failing because of said para) could just result in a wipe. The paralyze is very potent - I've seen 4 remedies in a row get interrupted from it, so you can't just throw remedies at the problem and guarantee a quick fix. As I said before, after having actually tried it with a PLD healer setup, I do think it's feasible, but probably less reliable/consistent.

English is not my 1st language, so it's possible, but I thought that starting sentence with "Wouldn't it be easier.." implies that Im asking? I guess I haven't put "?" there because I was typing on phone and missed it.

Input like yours here is exactly what I'm looking for though. I want to confront my theorycraft with people experience, so I can solve potential problems before I try it myself.
[+]
By IGDC 2023-01-18 13:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

60% of the time, it works every time (on paper.)
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2023-01-18 16:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
So yea for the drk was it just sakpata dt and ws chief? Did you use full dt or hybrid set for most of it?

I would guess that it was a subtle blow set. With father time.

Edit: It looked like the drk was meleeing the tree still, and not the adds, so full subtle blow I'd guess. Only way I could see using Insurgency as much as it did and still never seeing a TP move even with a blu and a smn.
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2023-01-18 17:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a video I believe, we'll post it soon. Think we took vids of tree, lion, shark, and bee (the second kill post wall nerf).

Edit: nvm the Tree vid is already up.
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2023-01-18 17:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »

I would guess that it was a subtle blow set. With father time.

Edit: It looked like the drk was meleeing the tree still, and not the adds, so full subtle blow I'd guess. Only way I could see using Insurgency as much as it did and still never seeing a TP move even with a blu and a smn.

He literally typed liberator. There is also a video. The Father Time if it's visible, is clearly a lockstyle.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2023-01-18 19:47:32
Link | Quote | Reply

my bad. I never read the actual strat, and was only half watching the video. I did say it was a guess. :D

Edit: I see it now. I never actually saw the post where he explained the strat (too much ***posting, there is a whole page of it between the strat post and the video). I only saw the video.
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2023-01-18 20:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

English is not my 1st language, so it's possible, but I thought that starting sentence with "Wouldn't it be easier.." implies that Im asking? I guess I haven't put "?"

Wouldn't (would it not) be easier to... ? comes across as "I already believe that This is better than what your telling me"

as opposed to

Would is be easier to... ? which would come across more as a question
[+]
By Sylvester 2023-01-18 21:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If possible could anyone list, what the blu mage spell set for the mboze clear was, always like seeing the spell sets.
[+]
 Bahamut.Butmunch
By Bahamut.Butmunch 2023-01-19 01:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

got Mboze win v25
phone1 RUN GEO DRK(scythe) BLU SMN RDM

phone2 WAR COR BRD PLD WHM BST

bst is all ya need to not let mboze get a TP move off

*BRD/COR was savg war was Mistral Axe or Calamity
bst was mistral
and pld tank both adds
[+]
By Serjero 2023-01-19 01:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Grats on the clear.

Interesting changes compared to the other clear.

If BST is enough to handle TP denial by itself that makes the fight seem way easier. Was the PLD tanking the adds? Also can I assume WAR was using Chango and the COR and BRD were helping with Savage Blades? Did the BST help with damage as well, if so with which weapon and WS?

Edit: Thanks for answering those questions. Was the WAR Farsha or can Doli get the job done?
By Ruaumoko 2023-01-19 03:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ongo downed after goodness-knows how many attempts.
Magic Defense Down aura at 75%.
Defense Down aura at 40%.

Wild Card rolled a III so no second use of Bolster and Tabula Rasa.

Skillchain was Gravitation > Ruinator > Wildfire.

Bard did not take part in an alternating skillchain as they were kiting the Tulfaire down the stairs. At 41~42% the Bard came back upstairs for the push beyond 40%. When the second Tulfaire popped the whole backline ran to a corner where the Scholar used Caper Emissarius to put the two Tulfaire onto the Bard; who then used a Hermes Quencher and sprinted back down the stairs with both.

A trick for Scholar here is to purposefully land a Helix just over 10k during the first Rayke window and then a much stronger one when Tabula Rasa and Bolster are up during the next Rayke window. Although the DoT damage is still capped a stronger Helix will overwrite the original's duration, and since you're free to use Focalization and Ebullience with Tabula Rasa landing a stronger one should be easy. This will help you keep a 10k DoT on Ongo the entire fight.

Strongly recommend your Rune Fencer use Turms Cap +1 in their tank build for the extra Regain. Changing their Moonshade Earring to Regain would also be brilliant but it's potentially a big ask. Scholar should be keeping Adloquium on the Rune Fencer. That Ruinator extender is huge.

Corsair should spec their Quick Draw build for maximum Store TP with the exception of the Empyrean Feet.

Frankly... I'm really miffed about how much R.N.G mechanics factor into this battle. It's disgusting. You can have the best co-ordinated group with perfect Discord comms and gear for their jobs only to be completely shut down by Magic Accuracy Down and especially Magic Atk. Down auras ending your run. Magic Accuracy Down can be overcome with Indi-Focus if you get it at 75% but if you get it at 40%... you've lost.

If you get Magic Atk. Down at any point in this battle, you've lost.
[+]
By SimonSes 2023-01-19 06:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Butmunch said: »
got Mboze win v25

bst was mistral
and pld tank both adds
Gratz this looks more like strat we used for V20, except DRK instead of WAR. Question tho, how was BST able to WS? I though AoE from add would kill Leech very fast. Did you position Leech behind Mboze and TPed in front of Mboze and just keep running to pet whenever you needed to do TP drainkiss? or was that only from Tactician/Gleti's regain and BST wasnt TPing on add at all?
 Bahamut.Ninakira
user: Neena
By Bahamut.Ninakira 2023-01-19 07:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

got Mboze win v25

bst was mistral
and pld tank both adds

Thank you for this! Could you go deeper into your strategy? My group is trying to beat Mboze but we seem unlucky. This strategy seems a little more friendly.

Edit: I read the post wrong, since the BST and WAR are doing Mistral Axe, how are you getting through the ws wall?
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2023-01-19 07:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »

Bard did not take part in an alternating skillchain as they were kiting the Tulfaire down the stairs. At 41~42% the Bard came back upstairs for the push beyond 40%. When the second Tulfaire popped the whole backline ran to a corner where the Scholar used Caper Emissarius to put the two Tulfaire onto the Bard; who then used a Hermes Quencher and sprinted back down the stairs with both.

A trick for Scholar here is to purposefully land a Helix just over 10k during the first Rayke window and then a much stronger one when Tabula Rasa and Bolster are up during the next Rayke window. Although the DoT damage is still capped a stronger Helix will overwrite the original's duration, and since you're free to use Focalization and Ebullience with Tabula Rasa landing a stronger one should be easy. This will help you keep a 10k DoT on Ongo the entire fight.

Strongly recommend your Rune Fencer use Turms Cap +1 in their tank build for the extra Regain. Changing their Moonshade Earring to Regain would also be brilliant but it's potentially a big ask. Scholar should be keeping Adloquium on the Rune Fencer. That Ruinator extender is huge.

Corsair should spec their Quick Draw build for maximum Store TP with the exception of the Empyrean Feet.

Frankly... I'm really miffed about how much R.N.G mechanics factor into this battle. It's disgusting. You can have the best co-ordinated group with perfect Discord comms and gear for their jobs only to be completely shut down by Magic Accuracy Down and especially Magic Atk. Down auras ending your run. Magic Accuracy Down can be overcome with Indi-Focus if you get it at 75% but if you get it at 40%... you've lost.

Congratulations. I think matk down from 40->0 is a death sentence on this, on our winning run we had matk down from 75->40, well timed blm ja and run ja we were able to get through it and get to a less *** of aura for the last push, we did get lucky with wildcard but I think just for sch books(TR) alone a wildcard is needed.

Congrats again on the win, edit: saw 3 on WC
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2023-01-19 08:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Frankly... I'm really miffed about how much R.N.G mechanics factor into this battle. It's disgusting.

Just wait until people start fighting Bumba. (Big congrats on Ongo clear)
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2023-01-19 09:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Melliny said: »
Quote:
Frankly... I'm really miffed about how much R.N.G mechanics factor into this battle. It's disgusting.

Just wait until people start fighting Bumba. (Big congrats on Ongo clear)
I'm not again when they stuff came out a few of us called it out at v15 ***felt rng for mechanics in timber from mboze.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-01-19 09:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
Congrats again on the win, is it safe to assume you had 5 or 6 on wildcard and went through 2 Tabula's? on the times we didnt have wildcard we ran out of steam(books) around 5-12%

He says in the OP you replied to that they rolled a 3 on WC.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2023-01-19 09:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »

I'm confused why run is using ruinator over just the normal steel cyclone? This just sounds like the same strat we been doing for most part with ongo no?
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2023-01-19 10:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

got Mboze win v25

bst was mistral
and pld tank both adds
What's nice about this strategy is you cna for sure switch the war and drk spots around and drk should be great on it with chance to soul Enslavement last push if need be.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2023-01-19 10:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm confused why run is using ruinator over just the normal steel cyclone? This just sounds like the same strat we been doing for most part with ongo no?

Accuracy, steel cyclone seems to always miss at the most critical times, ruinator multi-hit
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2023-01-19 10:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »

Accuracy, steel cyclone seems to always miss at the most critical times, ruinator multi-hit
Really? May ongos I've done I think I missed maybe one? Hmm guess I'll have to break out the old perun+1 get to live out the old juggernaut war dreams!
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2023-01-19 12:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ninakira said: »
Thank you for this! Could you go deeper into your strategy? My group is trying to beat Mboze but we seem unlucky. This strategy seems a little more friendly.

First KI: RUN DRK SMN RDM BLU GEO. The softening up team. This composition can reliably get Mboze to sub 75%. It is also possible to bring it to sub 70%. On the winning run we only brought it to the 75% threshold.

RUN: Tank it faced away from the DRK/GEO/BLU. You can Rayke for Armor Break, but it should land with no issue without it. Stoneskin spam is nice to reduce damage, and thus TP gain.
DRK: Use Subtle Blow. Our DRK used Scythe, rotating Quietus and Cross Reaper. Absorb-STR. You can use Soul Enslavement either before or after Invincible at 75%, or not at all depending on the needs of the second group.
SMN: All the relevant buffs (Warcry/TP Bonus/Hastega). Mewing every 25-30s depending on BLU's needs. Our SMN did not contribute damage in this phase, but I imagine Predator Claws could speed things up between Mewing Lullabies.
RDM: Buffs/Debuffs/Add control/Healing. Silence is important for reducing TP gain from Occult Acumen nukes. Our RDM did not contribute to damage at all in this phase.
BLU: TP reduction spells in synchronicity with the SMN. Apply Tourbillion/Tenebral Crush when Armor Break falls off. Melee during Soul Enslavement if you choose. MP can be an issue here, so get some help from the GEO (Radial Arcana), RDM (Refresh 3), or Vile Elixirs. Help Heal if the RDM is occupied. Diamondhide can help reduce Mboze's TP gain.
GEO: Bolster after Armor Break at the start. Geo-Fury/Indi-Haste/Entrust Indi-STR. Once Bolster falls, Blaze of Glory/Ecliptic Attrition a new Geo-Fury. Watch Netflix for 15 minutes.

This part is straightforward. RUN pulls Mboze down to the bottom of the stairs and faces it towards the staircase. DRK engages from max distance to try to reduce TP gain from aoe auto-attacks. The rest can stand ~8 yalms away to be out of range completely. Bash away at it while sucking it off until 75%. We did not TP on the add and WS Mboze for this strategy, we just pulled the add away and attempted to push down to sub 70%.

Second KI: WAR COR BST WHM BRD PLD. TP on the add and WS on Mboze. Positioning is important. The add(s) should be facing only the PLD so nobody else is inflicted with Infaunal Flop. Mboze should be faced away from everyone except the tank (WAR) to avoid TP feed from conal auto-attacks. We fought it in the open area downstairs to give us maximum breathing room.

WAR: Pull with Armor Break. This should get the add out immediately, and burn Invincible's timer while you run downstairs and get in position. Switch to Axe and Mistral Axe/Calamity. Use JAs judiciously; Tomahawk/Warcry especially. SPs around 25% to push through the most dangerous part of the fight.
BST: Killer Instinct with a Vermin. Swap out to Leech and get to sucking on cooldown. Communicate with the group as much as you can. If you need to swap pets/Leech dies/TP suck was too high, tell people to hold the *** up. Leech is going to get its *** beat here. Babysit as much as you can. Or run in/out every 30s. Coordination with the COR is important to get Bestial Loyalty/Call Beast back. If there's nothing left in the tank, Unleash. In the winning run, we Unleashed before 25%. Our BST only contributed damage in one run, and we promptly told them to move off. The extra damage is nice, but not necessary. Mboze never used a TP move with only one person controlling TP, and our BST reported never sucking more than ~750 TP.
WHM: Haste/Regen/BarStonra/BarParalyzra/Boost-STR/Auspice/Silence. Silence is important here, just as it is in the first phase. It should not take more than two casts to land, outside of Magic Accuracy Down aura. Call out Dia2 on Mboze. Call out Paralyze on Mboze and the adds, and Slow on the adds as well. The COR can upgrade all of these for enhanced potency. Prioritize status removal - Max HP Down/Paralyze - over pretty much everything else. Heals come next. Then buffs. Then debuffs. This can get stressful when adds spam TP moves. Roll the dice on when to Sacro/Asylum late in the fight. Hold Benediction for the absolute last possible/worst moment.
BRD: HM/Minuet/Minuet/Minuet/Etude songs. HM/Minnes/Ballads for PLD and WHM. WHM will not be taking much damage at all here, but it was easier for us to apply the Ballads to both PLD and WHM at the same time. Savage Blade.
COR: Chaos Roll/Samurai Roll, Savage Blade. Our COR had hate on the second add. Stay near the PLD so they can Flash/Shield Bash/Atonement to get it quickly. Re-rolls will have to happen at some point in this fight. Communicate those, as well as resets, with the group as needed.
PLD: Just be careful with enmity generation. Our PLD would Flash the add as soon as it was brought downstairs. Shield Bash/Flash it throughout the fight. Avoid JA usage and Cures early on. Grab the second add as stated above. By this point you are safe to use some Ramparts and help Cure if (when) the WHM falls behind.

Auras: In the winning run we got Defense Down in phase one. In phase two, we got Magic Evasion Down then Magic Defense Down.

Attack Down: Timed out/wiped at 7% on the run we got this below 40%. Seriously hampers your damage. Hope you don't get this below 40%.
Magic Attack Down: Would be ideal. Hampers this composition in no way.
Defense Down: Can be dangerous in phase one, since there is a lack of healing. In phase two, WHM has no trouble keeping up with the increased damage.
Magic Defense Down: Another ideal one. Mboze should not get any TP moves off, so the only threat comes from adds. It's a minor detriment.
Magic Evasion Down: Getting this in phase two at any point is Status Effect hell. WHM should stand outside of aoe range and abuse Divine Caress to get Paralyze off the group, especially the BST and WAR. It's annoying, but not run-ending.
Magic Accuracy Down: An extreme detriment to this strategy. BLU TP resets require high MACC. Silence from RDM and WHM require high MACC. WHM was unable to stick Silence during this Aura, leading to Stonega4 TP generation > Timber. May be offset by Threnody/Crepe.

Total attempts: ~6. One ended nearly instantly when someone mistakenly engaged on Mboze instead of the add.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-01-19 15:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dexprozius said: »
Would is be easier

Clear as mud.
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2023-01-19 17:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylvester said: »
If possible could anyone list, what the blu mage spell set for the mboze clear was, always like seeing the spell sets.

BLU: The """Fun""" job. Tank both adds, use Feather Tickle and Reaving Wind on cooldown, and heal when necessary. Expiacion on tree when you can. Keep Silent Storm and (after Armor Break wears) Tenebral Crush up. A Counter set is massively helpful (if not required) here.

Other than that, probably pick ***you think is relevant for the fight.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 216 217 218 ... 238 239 240