Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2022-12-22 14:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Vaerix said: »
Asura.Hya said: »
Vaerix said: »
weakness forcing dd's to back off could be seriously damaging to finishing on time.
Time was so tight for us that we could not afford to have the DDs run out during Lahar. The Matamata pets honestly felt less threatening than in V20. So everyone stays in and does what little DPS they can despite being Weakened. Lahar can be spammed, so running back and forth in and out with Regen from two pets active is going to seriously hamper your damage output during the time period in which it matters most. As WHM, I felt I had no issue healing through Lahar. By the end of the fight, I was basically just spamming Curagas to ensure people did not fall into (more) dangerous HP thresholds.

The problem I have isn't with a healer being able to keep up, it's 3 enemies with aoe basic attacks lining up and oneshotting people. I understand slow/para/Elegy assist with this, but it just seemed like a bad idea to me, it's cool that groups made it through its just hard for me to understand if it was entirely luck based or not especially while weakened.
The auto-attacks are not the RNG factor in this fight. Like I said, the Matamata felt less threatening. At no point did they do anything to threaten the party's life, the only serious concern from them is the very real possibility of Debilitating Spout. Like Buukki said, these fights (or at least the way we are attempting them currently) feel very luck-based.

Somebody said earlier to do the fight in 2 phones. It's honestly likely the safest and more consistent strategy. A softening-up run of something like WAR RUN BST SMN BLU SCH could alleviate much of the DPS check hurdle when going with PLD DRK COR GEO BRD WHM. You'd still be rolling the dice on Debilitating Spout, but having Kalunga start with ~40% less HP gives you a ton more time to play it safe with adds in the second run.
[+]
 Asura.Jokes
user: JLB1
By Asura.Jokes 2022-12-22 14:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Was doing a Marmokrebs clear for a friend earlier and we got Magiac attack down aura at 75% followed by another magic attack down aura at 40% instead of changing to something else. That should be under 3% chance of happening unless NM’s have a higher chance of particular auras.

Edit: this was followed by another Magic Attack Down aura on the very next run (m.acc at 75 followed by mab at 40. And we had a Gigelorum yesterday with a double attack down aura run, and 2 other runs with a single attack down aura). Seems too coincidental.
[+]
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2022-12-22 14:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if the odds of an aura repeating itself are only 1% that's really not that rare in the grand scheme of things. With the frequency people are going to be spamming these fights repeat auras are bound to happen from time to time.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-22 14:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hya said: »
Somebody said earlier to do the fight in 2 phones. It's honestly likely the safest and more consistent strategy. A softening-up run of something like WAR RUN BST SMN BLU SCH could alleviate much of the DPS check hurdle when going with PLD DRK COR GEO BRD WHM. You'd still be rolling the dice on Debilitating Spout, but having Kalunga start with ~40% less HP gives you a ton more time to play it safe with adds in the second run.

Also, one of the more common issues one-phone fights keep running into is hitting the hate ceiling. You can prolong the inevitable by splitting into 2 phones so you're not going from 100-0% on one boss, effectively cutting your cumulative hate down a good chunk. You can still cap in that shortened fight, but it's a lot less of a chance vs a full fight.

I've been talking about B-team strats for a while now. You still get a decent amount of buffs on a secondary team that I think a lot of people just ignore. Killer Instinct + Corrosive Ooze works on every single boss. Box Steps from Dancer and Heals, can even tank with Fan Dance. If using a RUN in a B-team strat, you can Rayke Unda and cheese Purulent Ooze, then only need to chip down 15~16% from whatever your other DD are. RDM has Dia 3, Haste 2 and all of the debuffs, greatly crippling any boss, and then you can just Bind the add or sleep the boss and time out. Summoner provides a good buff spread as well, and Night Terror should still deal decent damage on every boss. So a good B team doesn't even require GEO BRD COR, leaving those strong support jobs for the main setup, but allows for greater room for error in the A team setup.

I know it's not sexy and you won't get the bragging rights, but you'll get the clear much faster in a 2-phone approach vs 1. I don't think a 3- phone approach where you kill one add on the B/C team is going to be a thing, though. At least not on Atonement 3. The atonement 3 boss adds have the same resistances as the A2 bosses of the same type, and finding 6 people to field 18 jobs for a run just at the chance to clear one of those annoying adds does not seem like a fun idea. On Kalunga, for example, you'd need a C team to chip Kalunga to 74%, force add, then a B team to kill the add on a second run (using Blunt Damage types), then your normal A team for Kalunga. I just don't know if there's enough buffs for the B or C team to make that possible. I would be interested if someone thought that scenario through, cuz it made my head hurt just trying to figure it out (and that's before deciding which of the 6 players would play which job).

One other incentive to doing a 2-run fight is that you get RP for both visits. It's the same thing as entering twice from Rabao, but saves time on the zoning part. For Instance, doing 74% on first run could net like (throwing numbers out of the air) 2700, but the second run you could get like (idk here) 3800 or whatever it is for killing that boss. Which is more than if you lost twice taking the boss down to like 40% each time (I think). Could be wrong here, but the amp/rp thing is exacerbated in repeat fights.
[+]
 Asura.Melliny
By Asura.Melliny 2022-12-22 15:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
One other incentive to doing a 2-run fight is that you get RP for both visits. It's the same thing as entering twice from Rabao, but saves time on the zoning part. For Instance, doing 74% on first run could net like (throwing numbers out of the air) 2700, but the second run you could get like (idk here) 3800 or whatever it is for killing that boss. Which is more than if you lost twice taking the boss down to like 40% each time (I think). Could be wrong here, but the amp/rp thing is exacerbated in repeat fights.

I don't think it works that way. If memory serves you can't double dip on moogle amps on the same boss. What I mean is if you're fighting a boss and lets just use even numbers here for this example.... let's say the maximum RP you were allowed to get in the fight for killing the boss was 3000 with amp. Now let's say you went in on the first attempt and chipped it down to 74% health and with your amp that rewarded you with 2500 RP. In this case you only missed out on 500 RP for the fight. Even if you were to go into the same fight a second time and popped your amp, you would still only receive 500 more RP from killing the boss with your second team.

When you fight the same mob with multiple teams, the total amount of RP you're allowed to obtain from all attempts combined is the same as the total amount of RP you would get if you went in and killed with a single attempt. When you zone back to the lobby after a partial kill you leave a certain amount of RP "on the table" so to speak. This remaining RP is the maximum you're allowed to get on subsequent attempts without actually zoning back to rabao and starting a fresh run from scratch.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but from my memories of these fights on vengence 20 this is how moogle amps work when you do the same NM with multiple teams. I actually want to be wrong here because it would be better for us if it worked the way Buukki suggested above, and it's been a long time since I ran the same Nm with multiple attempts so I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure it works the way I just described.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-22 15:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Melliny said: »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but from my memories of these fights on vengence 20 this is how moogle amps work when you do the same NM with multiple teams.

Your memory is 100% incorrect. We fought Gigelorum with a B team and got somewhere around the amount I mentioned above, like 2700. Someone in the group said it didn't make sense to amp the second run (the clear) and we insisted that you CAN amp the same boss in a row and receive large amounts of RP, even by doing minimal damage. We went on to kill Gigelorum and didn't just get the remainder of the RP; we actually got full RP for killing the boss from 74% - 0% (whatever that was calculated at, it was like A LOT). Which ended up being more than if we had killed Gigelorum in one run using one amp. I am sure of this. You can exacerbate the effects of amps in this way by repeating the same boss and amping each time, still dealing at least 5-6% damage each time. It's actually how I got much of my RP from certain bosses when we used to do 3-boss runs
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-22 15:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

KujahFoxfire said: »
I am doing Gigelorum back to back atm and getting 9341 on first KI and 2357 on 2nd KI

This is boosted, right?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Melliny
By Asura.Melliny 2022-12-22 15:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough. I haven’t done a multi team attempt on one nm in quite a long time. Maybe it used to work that way and got changed, or maybe I’m just getting old. But that’s good to know. If you can amp the same nm with multiple teams then that’s really effecient rp farming.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-22 16:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

9341 + 2357 + 2357 = 14,055 RP
for 13500 segs.

Not quite. You start at a loss for segs, because you don't get the cost of the 3 initial phone segs back. You have to build a charge for that 9341 first. It's more something like

1500 (amps) x3 = 4500 segs
dealing 6%, you get ~2200/amp, net ~700 per amp
so 2100 (700x3) free segs on charge run
subtract 9000 for the cost of the initial 3 phones

------

So you start at a loss of 6900 Segments before you begin that process. You'd have to do that process like 12 times to catch up to the initial segment loss from the first 3 runs. Then yes, you could gain infinite segs if you keep that bonus going.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-12-22 16:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
9341 + 2357 + 2357 = 14,055 RP
for 13500 segs.

Not quite. You start at a loss for segs, because you don't get the cost of the 3 initial phone segs back. You have to build a charge for that 9341 first. It's more something like

1500 (amps) x3 = 4500 segs
dealing 6%, you get ~2200/amp, net ~700 per amp
so 2100 (700x3) free segs on charge run
subtract 9000 for the cost of the initial 3 phones

------

So you start at a loss of 6900 Segments before you begin that process. You'd have to do that process like 12 times to catch up to the initial segment loss from the first 3 runs. Then yes, you could gain infinite segs if you keep that bonus going.

Yes, but this assumes you only ever get 5% on an NM. You could clear one of them and get another 1,135 per run, meaning that you start off at less of a "deficit" and also gain more per run.

First clear = 3492 + 2357 + 2357 = 8,206, costs you 13,500, net loss of 5,294.

Amped win is 10,476 + 2357 + 2357 = 15,190, costs you 13,500, net gain of 1,690.

You're at a "profit" after 4 runs.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-22 16:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You're right, I was taking the worst case scenario of a 5% cheese losing every time, because it is the least effort. Clearing the NM rewards much higher so you are correct that you can multiply your segments a lot sooner. Kujah was talking about a win somewhere in the 3 runs, which definitely is a bonus. However, it also assumes you can clear the run every single triple run. If you lose once, the numbers until you're at "profit" fall off a little bit. You'll get there eventually if you can keep it up, and it's quicker than losing 3x.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-12-22 21:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are using DRK as your primary DD for Kalunga, I suggest having them pop Soul Enslavement when it summons the 2nd add, then smack the first add 4 times or so to drain its TP before switching back to Kalunga for the rest of it. Since our group started to do that, the add hasn't gotten any moves off the whole fight.
[+]
 Asura.Jokes
user: JLB1
By Asura.Jokes 2022-12-23 01:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So Arebati seems really tough on DPS with RNG COR. Just wondering if anyone has tried to resist the dispel from Glassy Nova with a Magic Evasion setup maybe PLD WAR DNC GEO BRD WHM barblizzara ice carol bolster geo-attunement etc? Might not be resistible but its worth trying
[+]
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2022-12-23 01:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jokes said: »
So Arebati seems really tough on DPS with RNG COR. Just wondering if anyone has tried to resist the dispel from Glassy Nova with a Magic Evasion setup maybe PLD WAR DNC GEO BRD WHM barblizzara ice carol bolster geo-attunement etc? Might not be resistible but its worth trying
Can corroborate the difficulty dealing damage with just RNG and COR. Even with all the buffs (Minuets/Honor, Geo-Fury/Agi, CC Chaos/Sam). Timed out more than once at 40%, I can't imagine these two DDs dealing enough damage to push through double add Regen. Arebati may come down to two Key Items or perhaps could be cleared with the TP denial strategy. Two DDs on any of these T3s has not seemed to be enough to counter the Regen nor clear within the ~12 minutes (after buffs) that you have to fight.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-12-23 06:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole infinite segs deal is pointless for RP farming, you're spending nearly an hour for a gain of 1500 segments. It would take all day to make up for one sheol-c run.

Pretty useful for helping people without wasting segments though, and segment-starved groups could always do a couple t1s on their off jobs before trying their current progression NM if they're running with 1 moglophone setups to avoid any segment bleed.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2022-12-23 06:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Also cleared Gig today BRD COR WAR MNK SCH PLD. Caper at 40% and it went fairly smooth
anyone try RUN on Gige 3x water runes?

if we get enough DPS early not able to control hate last 10-20% without caper, if we put in SCH then we lose the add controls/dia3/debuffs from rdm, the SCH times we really only got it to 38%

trying with BRD COR WAR MNK RDM PLD

thoughts on ballad3 + schere earring vs dirge on monk?

Once DD get hate capped Invincible wont even make it turn to you for more than 1-2 second

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2022-12-23 07:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
Also cleared Gig today BRD COR WAR MNK SCH PLD. Caper at 40% and it went fairly smooth

if we get enough DPS early not able to control hate last 10-20% without caper, if we put in SCH then we lose the add controls/dia3/debuffs from rdm, the SCH times we really only got it to 38%

Once DD get hate capped Invincible wont even make it turn to you for more than 1-2 second

We found the MNK needed Dirge + Refresh3 + Schere on full time to not rip hate. Would TP and WS with it on and managed to never pull aggro. We also tried RUN but eventually settled on Aegis PLD as the best tank for the job.

Thats what we ran, even spamming atonement it got to where I could not pull it off the monk, even if he turned his back I fired every ja, sent cure4, as soon as he would hit it, it would turn back to him. Eventually he ate a dispel and our DPS went to ***and we timed out

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-23 07:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

We found the MNK needed Dirge + Refresh3 + Schere on full time to not rip hate. Would TP and WS with it on and managed to never pull aggro. We also tried RUN but eventually settled on Aegis PLD as the best tank for the job.

Thats what we ran, even spamming atonement it got to where I could not pull it off the monk, even if he turned his back I fired every ja, sent cure4, as soon as he would hit it, it would turn back to him. Eventually he ate a dispel and our DPS went to ***and we timed out

Strange. For us both adds popped and went on the WAR, never the mnk ,and neither WAR nor MNK pulled aggro at all. Songs were Soul Voiced and the PLD had sirvente too. When it died, the clock had 7 mins left, maybe you are taking too long?

Well makes sense if the WAR was the second on the bosses hate list right when the adds spawned. They make a copy of the bosses hate list at spawn time, with the caveat that anytime the boss looks at someone their value gets reset. It's why the first add is so much easier to handle in a dual team setup.
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2022-12-23 08:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Strange. For us both adds popped and went on the WAR, never the mnk ,and neither WAR nor MNK pulled aggro at all. Songs were Soul Voiced and the PLD had sirvente too. When it died, the clock had 7 mins left, maybe you are taking too long?
Generally I would say on that pace maybe 1-2 min slower, but then cant seem to hold the hate off the MNK. prob get the 2nd add out around 9min ish mark, everything is going great then about 10-20% hate becomes major issue, once the dispel gets off on the war and/or mnk the chance to overpower the regen really becomes impossible
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-12-23 08:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
The whole infinite segs deal is pointless for RP farming, you're spending nearly an hour for a gain of 1500 segments. It would take all day to make up for one sheol-c run.

Pretty useful for helping people without wasting segments though, and segment-starved groups could always do a couple t1s on their off jobs before trying their current progression NM if they're running with 1 moglophone setups to avoid any segment bleed.

The other benefit is for people who are short on segments and looking to progress. Sure, it's nowhere near as efficient as actual seg farming, but you only get one moglophone per day, so you can't gain any more segments than whatever you get in your seg farm run, at least up until now with this cheese. It unlocks infinite segments as long as you don't mind wasting your time.

Most of the hour is also just standing around waiting for timers to tick down too, so you could do this while playing on another character, watching Netflix, preparing dinner, or whatever.

It's not for me, but I think there are scenarios where people would want to take advantage of this.
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2022-12-23 10:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Once you cap hate there is nothing that can really be done w/o a SCH in the party to Caper hate off. Using Schere w/ Refresh helps but by the last few percents, you hit the cap and I don't think the MNK has a high enough MP pool to make a massive difference. The tank can throw whatever they want at it at this point and it won't do anything.

IMO this is why doing 2 KIs against him makes so much more sense. You run into this issue with other bosses but it isn't as dangerous since they don't dispel, once the MNK gets dispelled by Giga, it's most likely over. We consistently had problems with him bouncing hate below 10% and dispelling the DDs, we got as low as 4% (someone else 1%) and lost because of this. Once you stop dealing buffed damage, the regen is impossible to overcome.

Doing 2 KIs basically guarantees you start at 75% (or lower) and buy yourself a little bit of time, but more importantly makes hate easier to manage. It still gets spicy below 20% but it can be managed. You are still rolling the dice that you don't get attack down and he doesn't go into a dispel frenzy though. The run we won with, he was hitting HP down every few seconds instead of dispels, but I've had others where he dispelled every few seconds instead and it is a lot harder on the party. It's hard enough to account for him doing it every 4 or 5 TP moves, but when it's one after another after another, it gets rough.

I did put together a water resist set to see if it would help resist his dispels, but never got to try it tanking. We tried one run with a WHM and barwatera, it seemed to help, but it could just be coincidence. I def got hit with it and resisted the dispel, though, even on MNK at least once.

Another thing to consider is that letting the adds bounce around is feasible but they enstun and slow, if both adds are hitting DDs then it slows down DPS a fair bit even with a lot of meva.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-23 11:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »

Once you cap hate there is nothing that can really be done w/o a SCH in the party to Caper hate off. Using Schere w/ Refresh helps but by the last few percents, you hit the cap and I don't think the MNK has a high enough MP pool to make a massive difference. The tank can throw whatever they want at it at this point and it won't do anything.

IMO this is why doing 2 KIs against him makes so much more sense. You run into this issue with other bosses but it isn't as dangerous since they don't dispel, once the MNK gets dispelled by Giga, it's most likely over. We consistently had problems with him bouncing hate below 10% and dispelling the DDs, we got as low as 4% (someone else 1%) and lost because of this. Once you stop dealing buffed damage, the regen is impossible to overcome.

Doing 2 KIs basically guarantees you start at 75% (or lower) and buy yourself a little bit of time, but more importantly makes hate easier to manage. It still gets spicy below 20% but it can be managed. You are still rolling the dice that you don't get attack down and he doesn't go into a dispel frenzy though. The run we won with, he was hitting HP down every few seconds instead of dispels, but I've had others where he dispelled every few seconds instead and it is a lot harder on the party. It's hard enough to account for him doing it every 4 or 5 TP moves, but when it's one after another after another, it gets rough.

I did put together a water resist set to see if it would help resist his dispels, but never got to try it tanking. We tried one run with a WHM and barwatera, it seemed to help, but it could just be coincidence. I def got hit with it and resisted the dispel, though, even on MNK at least once.

Another thing to consider is that letting the adds bounce around is feasible but they enstun and slow, if both adds are hitting DDs then it slows down DPS a fair bit even with a lot of meva.

On this note we found out some interesting things and would like to know if others have some missing info.

We know that the adds spawn with a copy of the bosses hate table, then just zero someone out if they ever become #1 to the boss. When we went in the second time, the add had no hate on anything and our bard was able to easily pull it away and kite it indefinitely. The DD's / healer just ends up with one add to deal with later on.

Our question is, does the add spawn the moment the boss becomes "active" or does someone need to do an action on the boss first? Our idea is, can someone "aggro" the boss, have the add spawn, then have someone else "pull" the boss away and the aggro person super tanks the add? If nobody did anything to the boss or add, then the hate table should be empty and it'll just be on whomever it first aggroed.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-23 13:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You do, but it's unlikely you would have kept up the moglophone rp train going from the start, so I didn't bother mentioning it.
First Page 2 3 ... 207 208 209 ... 238 239 240