The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 112 113 114 ... 237 238 239
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-19 09:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Garretts said: »
170 vs 235 is still the exact same stupid ***.

I focused on it because I wasn't sure where you were getting the numbers from. The grind is bad, but no need to exaggerate. 235 is not the same as 170, the hell are you talking about. Just in terms of segments using your average, that's like another 400k segments needed. I get the frustration but no need to go overboard with the hyperbole.

Eiryl basically beat me to it, but you're complaining about the history of ffxi

Just in modern ffxi alone:

Omen body: hundreds of runs (possibly nothing to show for it)
Aman trove: hundreds of runs (possibly nothing to show for it if you were after bodies)
Dynamis midboss clear: x # of jobs, x4 zones
Farming a REMA weapon: grind mindless tasks, multiply by number of weapons
Farming literal thousands of REMA stones, swarts, materials
Farming volte gear from dynamis bosses pre Gaol
Farming RP on dynamis necks: x #of jobs

It's literally the same number of mindless ***you're complaining about. And you did it. This is equally as annoying, but the difference with this and some of the things above I mentioned is that you get guaranteed progress in Gaol. Would you feel better if this was locked to every 3 days like how dynamis is? They airways find ways to sink your time into it, that's the point of the game

Garretts said: »
Again, the point of the post was my frustration at an event that gives arguably the best armor in the game, but is so poorly designed/implemented/thought out that it's making me not want to log in and do it. going from 235 kills to 170 doesn't make me feel an ounce of better, unfortunately.

Huh? So you don't want to grind content to get the best gear in the game, but you grinded previous content for like 1% improvement in the past?
[+]
By Garretts 2021-04-19 09:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah i get you, I mean i pretty much just play along to see eijen's next set of characters get banned at this point.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-19 09:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

None of your complaints are invalid. We've all had them. I just don't like the alternative either

Anything you can breeze by and finish overnight, you get bored too quickly. Anything that takes literal years to finish burns you out. .001% drop rate? Nah, I'm good on that.

Probably the stacking moglophone is the biggest thing I think that would have a much better impact on attrition. If they changed that, you don't have to log in as much. But then again I see why they made it that way from a business perspective. Because then you can unload your "mogstones" after a 3 month hiatus and finish the content they designed to last all year. They force this new content to be done daily. No alternative. They did the same with deeds on a monthly basis.

I'll still say getting slow progress over a year beats getting no progress over a similar period. I'll take 3 month gear grinds over 1000 omen bosses
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2021-04-19 09:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Probably the stacking moglophone is the biggest thing I think that would have a much better impact on attrition. If they changed that, you don't have to log in as much. But then again I see why they made it that way from a business perspective. Because then you can unload your "mogstones" after a 3 month hiatus and finish the content they designed to last all year. They force this new content to be done daily. No alternative. They did the same with deeds
They wouldn't have to go as far as like Voidwatch ala your example of stored stones.
Just having the basic Moglophones (no change to the IIs) store up in the same way as Omen Canteens would cut down on the grindiness of the content (or like you said, the perception of the grind).

Having a bit of wiggle room would be enough to satisfy most of the playerbase... which I think means we're all in an abusive relationship...
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-19 10:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-19 10:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm 10000% in favor of canteen-like moglophone. I just completely get why they have to milk this content for as long as possible. They have nothing else planned for the year. Whether you grind or complain, it's going to be a while until you see something new.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-19 10:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
Just having the basic Moglophones (no change to the IIs) store up in the same way as Omen Canteens would cut down on the grindiness of the content (or like you said, the perception of the grind).
I don't think it would (directly) do anything with the grind.
The main difference would be about the burning out.
You'd be able to login or do odyssey every odd day or, say, a couple of times every week instead of feeling "forced" to do it daily otherwise you waste a Moglophone.

That feeling brings to burnouts and being able to store KIs would avoid that.
In terms of grind though, nothing would change, at least directly.
Well let's say nothing would change for people who managed to do Segments every day before.
For those who didn't of course the segments accruing speed would no doubt increase.

I've been sayin this multiple times before btw, but everybody seemed to react like "Omg stop being a whiney pussy and grow a pair, Sechs!"
I get they wanted Odyssey to be grindey, I get they wanted to keep us busy for a long time, I get all that and I'm fine.
They should have "tuned" the grindyness a bit better though.

It should be faster to R15 those pieces, and you would still be busy because you would simply augment multiple sets/items instead of taking 8 months to complete a set and then slashing your wrists because of the burn-out.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-04-19 10:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

While being able to hold more would be great, you can already do it every other day and not lose any Moglophones.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2021-04-19 11:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
I don't think it would (directly) do anything with the grind.
The main difference would be about the burning out.
You'd be able to login or do odyssey every odd day or, say, a couple of times every week instead of feeling "forced" to do it daily otherwise you waste a Moglophone.

That feeling brings to burnouts and being able to store KIs would avoid that.
In terms of grind though, nothing would change, at least directly.
Well let's say nothing would change for people who managed to do Segments every day before.
For those who didn't of course the segments accruing speed would no doubt increase.
I feel like the ability of doing once every few days (such to 2x a week) would directly cut down on the player's perception of the grindiness.
Which would then cut down a bit on burnout.
A bit.

It wouldn't *actually* change any grind, but it would make it *seem* less grindy. If only in feeling anyways.
But it is that feeling that is the source of a person's burnout.

As for actually fixing the grind to be more manageable... Yeah.
Having halos and/or popped NMs give you 1k (or even more in C) segments alone would go a long way. (instead of the few hundred they do now)
And while it was nice that you don't have to actually kill the NMs in order to get RP... the amount of RP for even killing the stuff is laughably small.
No doubt both of these things were set low for an intended inevitable campaign bonus... which is good capitalism, but that's also why it sucks.
By Taint 2021-04-19 11:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Its great static content. (by FFXI standards)

Its poor PUG content. Their vision would be PUGs get stuck on V5 or 10 with statics doing V15. The problem with FFXI today is everyone is after BiS items. The two methods don't mix well.

I'd gladly do Bumba V15 200 times or whatever. The grind to unlock Bumba V15 with PUGs is a huge turnoff. The 3000 segment cost makes a wipe risky in terms of time spent, finding 5 other players to place the same bet amplifies the issue.
By Garretts 2021-04-19 11:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah let me keep a weeks worth of stupidlapohnes (see what i did there, you guys can call them that also, i won't sue)...Let me keep a weeks worth of KI's So If HEAVEN FORBID, I head the advice of the warning at the login, and don't neglect my family/friends I can still go and grind on a lazy sunday and not be so far back that I'm virtually useless to anyone pushing the hardest content.

So here's the real question:

How do we get them to change it? Do we all fill out a suggestion form on the official forums? Submit tickets? Orrrr the most likely option, continue to *** about it, while actively avoiding doing anything to correct it?
[+]
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2021-04-19 11:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What we are experiencing here is the resistance to old school Final Fantasy “grindy” content.. Tanaka was the only designer/producer in FFXI era that pushed extremely grindy scenarios... He’s no longer with us fortunately..

I was victim to his REMA Trial of Magians version 1.0 where each killing blow Trial was 1000 > 2000 > 3000 before they finally realized it was causing players to think of suicide...

There are players that are used to this in the past and there are a new generation of players that refuse this and think it’s garbage.. maybe this is a way for them to wash these new generation of players out..

When I was younger I didn’t mind these time consuming grinds but our adult lives are not going to align very well to this system..

Everyone’s life is different and I think majority of players with this busy lifestyle based demographics are not on board and on the way out...

Either get weeded out or roll up your sleeves and do the daily grind... or don’t and just get your armor completed in 2 years rather than one year or 6 months for those intense grinders..

I think it’s best to wait and see, if enough JP will rise up against this grindy system then they will make changes...

They will either say “Man up and get to work we won’t make changes” or.. they will nerf the requirements like they did with Trial of Magians...
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-19 11:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't really care much about Moglophone re-acquisition if you could simply earn way more segments per run (even RP from bosses). It doesn't matter how you slice it, the big block is the segments -> Gaol entry system. More Moglophones is fine, but you still have to do more runs, which contributes to the burn-out feeling just the same. Maybe even faster. The issue of attrition will always persist. They could have just added V20/V25 etc and made the RP scale to something much higher, making doing these fights repeatedly significantly shorter in the long run. Or an RP conversion system would have been appropriate to some degree.

I am still holding out hope for an Omen-styled-treasure-coffer-floor area which rewards you with various boxes of Izzat, segments, gil, wings, and more NM fights for additional segments. That, or a double RP/Segments campaign
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-19 12:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
While being able to hold more would be great, you can already do it every other day and not lose any Moglophones.
Unless I misunderstood what you meant: yes, you can do that, but you need to remember to login 20+ hours after you got your last Moglophone, then get the KI.
At that point you can logout and the day after (supposing 20+ hours have passed since the day before when you got your KI) and do 2x Runs in a row.

Not exactely the most comfortable thing to do and not very different from the "one run every day" thing. You still have to login every day and heaven forbid if the day after you wanna go like 16hrs before because 20+ you'll be busy with work or whatever else.

This is exactely what people is talking aobut with the KIs being storable like Omen KIs.
Won't cut the grind, but at least it will allow to plan things much better around ~2 days a week where you can do ~3 runs each.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-04-19 12:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Not exactely the most comfortable thing to do and not very different from the "one run every day" thing.
I'd say it's very different. In one case you have to log on every day, spend time grabbing people and gearing up, then spend 30 minutes fighting. If you're sick, only have 20 minutes, or just not in the mood, you're out of luck.

In the other case, you have a multi-hour window where you can spend 2 minutes (if you log out at night) or 5 seconds (if you don't) to grab a canteen while you're eating, or between chores, or whatever. Even if you're sick, as long as you're not hospital-level sick (at which point you shouldn't be worrying about FFXI anyway), you can still grab a moglophone for the day after.

Going every other day also generally lets you skip the party gathering phase for the second fight, reducing total time spent.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-19 14:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is that some people don't want to bother logging in every bloody day.

It's also annoying because, unavoidably, there's always gonna be that one guy who one time forgot to get the KI the day before, *** up your static and forcing you to use a mule or get a rep for the second run.

Also, can't do more than 2 runs in the same day.

Personally, for the way I and the people I play with used to play, Omen was perfect in that regard.
We would meet twice a week and do 3 runs in a row. We didn't need to do anything in the time between.
Someone would login, many others would not, regardless you would still find your KIs there on the NPC with nothing to be done on your side.
Don't see why I need to be "forced" to login every day at specific times to be eligible to get one KI and then hopefully do the -wow!- insane amount of TWO RUNS in a row the day after, whoaaa two runs, insane inorite.

Yes I'm aware I'm not "forced" at all and that the doctor didn't order me to do 6-7 Odyssey runs a week.
Of course.
If we're bringing it that way I'm not forced to play FFXI at all lol.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-04-19 14:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never understood people who willingly sign up for an MMO, then are upset by content that rewards those who play more than those who don't.

Seems like all we have any more are those who complain about nothing to do, and those who complain that what we do have takes too long.
[+]
 Asura.Panasync
By Asura.Panasync 2021-04-19 15:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
I've never understood people who willingly sign up for an MMO, then are upset by content that rewards those who play more than those who don't.

Seems like all we have any more are those who complain about nothing to do, and those who complain that what we do have takes too long.

I agree, XIV caters to that kind of desire more than XI, and I think it's pretty obvious outside of the battle engine, it's a huge reason why XIV is such trash.

Complaining about logging into the game is more of a personal issue than one caused by the game itself. A lack of time or desire shouldn't be looked at as a flaw of XI.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-19 15:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Panasync said: »
Complaining about logging into the game is more of a personal issue than one caused by the game itself. A lack of time or desire shouldn't be looked at as a flaw of XI.

For years, since SE dropped PS2 support and announced they were 'done' with future content expansions for the game, people constantly tossed the "game is dead" thing all over the place. People lost their sh*t. Now they release something that will take you all year to finish (but the game will remain) and people lose their sh*t.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-04-19 16:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is that some people don't want to bother logging in every bloody day.

It's also annoying because, unavoidably, there's always gonna be that one guy who one time forgot to get the KI the day before, *** up your static and forcing you to use a mule or get a rep for the second run.

Also, can't do more than 2 runs in the same day.
I said nothing about more KIs being storable not being very nice, just that, despite what you said, there is a very significant difference between storing 1 KI and storing no KIs.

Regardless of how you keep talking about it like it's some huge chore, grabbing a KI takes literally less than 2 minutes out of the entire day.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-19 16:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Realistically, you may have about an 8 hour window to grab your moglophone if your group is consistent with their segment farms.

If your group goes at 8 pm every night, then you can grab your next moglophone at 4 pm the earliest and midnight the latest, before you start interfering with your group's normal entry time. Not that waiting a few minutes is a bad thing, but a few hours could be.

That's still more than enough time to grab one, and the 20hr refresh is actually convenient as it gives more time for flexibility on when you need to grab one. Imagine if it was 24 hour refresh and you had to get the phone at the exact time every day in order to do 2 every other day.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2021-04-19 21:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had mixed feeling on oddy since the get

It's bad. Really really really bad. Pretending it isn't and going along with the ride is one thing but this ***show is terrible for me to not even bother outside of unlocking the base sets.

With omen bosses, you at least got scales you can give your mules/friends and R/ex gear as well along with a shot of an omen body. With this you can literally kill it at t0 and be done with it for mules and returnees because let's face it, they will quit before they are even geared enough to even think about t15.

This grind is by far the worse of its kind. A masterpiece of a failure to the degree many people I know are just getting burnt out just doing the math. 200 times to kill something is insane even if the reward is guaranteed at the end of the tunnel. Add the lag, the system that does little incentive to even play it the way it's designed and no QOL changes.

I for one don't even want to even try to do R15 let alone the 200+ times to do it. It's something that should have never been introduced in this game. I rather play Genshin Impact and Apex legends than even attempt to try this as this isn't fun in the slightest. But good luck to the 15 people that are trying.

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Omen body: hundreds of runs (possibly nothing to show for it)(got cards, mats and items as well)
Aman trove: hundreds of runs (possibly nothing to show for it if you were after bodies)(got literally all my bodies from here, only 1 account)
Dynamis midboss clear: x # of jobs, x4 zones (2 unlocks a week, 2 weeks = 1 jobs)
Farming a REMA weapon: grind mindless tasks, multiply by number of weapons (soloable - not hard)
Farming literal thousands of REMA stones, swarts, materials (soloable and buyable with gil)
Farming volte gear from dynamis bosses pre Gaol (Got all the Volte I got going with the same group 2x full sets with couple pieces of the others. Made gil and got Relic armor)
Farming RP on dynamis necks: x #of jobs (farmable with a group or can throw Gil at it

Goal - Have 5 other people who are geared to the teeth, Then you will need to Farm Segments every day. Need enough segments for 200 runs+(200 = 1 capped out set of gear) - All other 5 members must want the same Megaboss. Must have the skills and know-how to do it. Not pug friendly.
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2021-04-19 22:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's interesting reading the reaction to Odyssey in the last couple of pages. I think the content is a mixed bag myself.

The good:
The T1-T3 items are heavily frontloaded; that is, you get most of the good stuff with the armor's base stats. Some of the sets are game-changers, too, particularly Sakpata gear but also certain pieces of other sets.
Bosses can be done in pickup groups.
Rewards are guaranteed. If you put the time in you will get the reward.
Nyame gear fills certain holes for jobs that you just can't get in any other gear.
Gil reward can be gotten daily and it more than replaces sparks gil for "normal" players.
Can "catch-up" or easily unlock gear or higher vengeance tiers for new players, returners, or alts.
Makes BLM and SCH strats relevant again. Somewhat.

The bad:
Nyame gear is heavily backloaded. And it is a grind even getting to unlocking V20, let alone getting rp for it.
Segment farm pickup groups are generally awful. Lack of voice communication makes it hard to get segments compared to having a static.
You must at least login daily to get moglophone. This sucks.
You can only really static with people who want the same armor because rp is not universal.
Extremely unfriendly to alts because it's a two-part grind.
It's only 6man content, so your Dyna-D wave 3 LS with 10-18 people now has to split along some kind of lines.

I think my concern, and someone else said this, is what are we working towards? Even the base stats of this gear is way overkill for Dyna-D wave 3 or HTBF or HELMs. Then you are gambling with the Bumba gear and your specific jobs against which slots S-E gives WSD or makes OP for TP sets. You could sink a ton of work into a piece in order for it to be useless next year.

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
With omen bosses, you at least got scales you can give your mules/friends and R/ex gear as well along with a shot of an omen body. With this you can literally kill it at t0 and be done with it for mules and returnees because let's face it, they will quit before they are even geared enough to even think about t15.

The secondary rewards aren't as good as Omen or Dynamis-D, that's for sure. However, I'm finding that the exit gil is decent. It adds up if you hit the exit every run.
[+]
By Titorinho 2021-04-19 23:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I am really enjoying odyssey. I play BST, SMN, GEO, SCH and RDM. I have brought all 5 jobs to farm runs and A1-4 V0-15 NMs successfully. While I may never augment all the gear for those 5 jobs, its great that I can play them all and find somewhere to allocate the RP I earn while helping members of my static. I totally see where some of these complaints are coming from, but this content has rejuvenated the game for my group. I think it bodes well for the content that is to come: the expansion of horizontal progression with a slight vertical incline. Here they limit subjobs and greatly increase enemy attack stat and mag eva while focusing on specific party dynamics. Next they will continue down this thread with less limitation and more creative implementation of difficulty. I like the long term rewards, especially because my group doesn’t obssess with daily optimization.
By Guyford 2021-04-19 23:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had mixed feeling on oddy since the get

It's bad. Really really really bad. Pretending it isn't and going along with the ride is one thing but this ***show is terrible for me to not even bother outside of unlocking the base sets.

This isn't mixed feelings

This grind is by far the worse of its kind. A masterpiece of a failure to the degree many people I know are just getting burnt out just doing the math. 200 times to kill something is insane even if the reward is guaranteed at the end of the tunnel. Add the lag, the system that does little incentive to even play it the way it's designed and no QOL changes.

Its about 165 V15 kills to max out every piece at r20. I don't know where people keep getting these 200+ numbers. In any event with a solid static this is 2-3 months of work to cap out a full armor set. A constant complaint is that whenever this is new content top tier players have beaten it and are done with it in a month. To get through everything you might want you're looking at a year or two of play to finish. Yea killing the same boss can be boring but the segment farming can be fun and has its own rewards. Quite similar to going for omen bodies except with guaranteed progress for everyone.

It's too easy?

I for one don't even want to even try to do R15

Its too hard?

Goal - Have 5 other people who are geared to the teeth, Then you will need to Farm Segments every day. Need enough segments for 200 runs+(200 = 1 capped out set of gear) - All other 5 members must want the same Megaboss. Must have the skills and know-how to do it. Not pug friendly.

That's why there are multiple difficulty levels, so a pug can choose the right difficulty. I think its great that better groups will be able to get rewards faster, but pugs could still do v10 for half the rp.

As for wanting the same boss, the content was designed to highlight having multiple jobs on the same character (although somewhat poorly since there's no real impetus to use their job lockout mechanic) and the bosses have weapons that people might want who don't play jobs on the bosses armor. Ex. Bee katana is nice and I still want to do it although I don't play cor or rng.
[+]
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2021-04-19 23:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Guyford said: »
Its about 165 V15 kills to max out every piece at r20. I don't know where people keep getting these 200+ numbers.
This math assumes a perfect fight every time. I've seen Mboze put up aura at 91%, well before we were prepared to handle it. People who are not paying attention may WS repeatedly during Bumba's Yaegasumi. I've d/c'd mid-Kalunga as WHM. My point is, in those 165~ runs, not every one is going to be a winner. You're going to have a few duds, especially if you are forced to fill a slot or two with a random.

Guyford said: »
That's why there are multiple difficulty levels, so a pug can choose the right difficulty. I think its great that better groups will be able to get rewards faster, but pugs could still do v10 for half the rp.
This one is tough for me. My regular group earns more segments than we typically spend together on NMs. This leaves me with plenty of segments to throw away in PUGs, but is it really worth it? Why should I spend my segments on a V5's inferior RP reward when the V15 of the same NM is perfectly beatable? Gogmagog is a great example of this. It's an NM that is completely docile outside of its brief SP window. Yet when I see a PUG shouting for it, they almost always turn down my offer of bringing them to V15. The difficulty spike for something like T1's is not as huge as, say, Ambu's spike from E/N - VD. People just seem content with getting their base clear and that's it.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-20 02:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's funny how a lot of people are now saying that previous content released by SE (Omen and Divergence) was "too easy", yet all through these years I've hardly ever seen specific comments about those contents specifically being "too easy".

Yet all of a sudden now they pop everywhere, only to countebalance and shut up people who are saying "Odyssey is too grindy".
Seeing things form this perspective gives some food for thought I guess.

Another peculiar thing about Odyssey that hasn't been mentioned so far and that to me, if anything, tells a lot about how confused they were when they planned this event in separate steps instead that all together.
Gil.
They had the smart idea of making Items cost interesting amounts of gil, even if just once, and the prices go down (slowly) with time.
We could say this is a good idea, we all know how this game needs more gil-sink, even after they removed the Sparks method.
So far so good, right?
Yet if you complete Sheol runs, everybody gets gil for nothing, and we're talking about ~1 mil per run.
Uhm...
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-20 02:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Possible Explanation:
Gil was something they put in Sheol to make the event appealing.
History showed us how neither gil, neither the "gotta catch em all" aspect of MM and neither the wings proved to be enough to make Odyssey interesting to players (most people were simply ignoring the content).
They realized this by the time they were ready to release Sheol B but by then they were already too far in into the development to turn back.

Which is why they started working on Sheol Gaol which had two purposes: 1) keep players busy for a long time, 2) give an additional (main?) purpose to Sheol A/B/C
By kairyu 2021-04-20 02:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It’s only fair to note; at the point this game is at after nearly 20 years, there is literally nothing that can be implemented into this game that a cohort of players are not going to be happy with. Too easy? Complete it in a month and now you’re bored again. Too hard? Too grindy/don’t wanna be forced to log in all the time (I remember people saying this about Domain Invasion too, where you can literally log in and stand there and still get credit). Game balance/exploitation of mechanics/time sink, these are all things that people complain about even though they’ve been essentially the same since the dawn of the game.

Personally despite all the complaints and faults that people point out about Odyssey, I at least feel like SE are trying a *bit* at the very least. They’ve made the content extremely varied compared to any other endgame content at release pretty much. You can progress solo. You can progress in a group. You can play it intensively. You can play it casually. Your rewards are quantifiable. You can choose to grind less or more and your progress has a very linear line of progression. People will always find something to complain about, there will never be any golden egg content for this game and what everyone talks about ends up just being speculation/introspection on why things suck.

TL;DR - game is basically a remake of an old movie; do it exactly the same, people won’t like that there’s nothing new. Do it different; people won’t like that it’s not the same as the original.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-20 03:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

kairyu said: »
It’s only fair to note; at the point this game is at after nearly 20 years, there is literally nothing that can be implemented into this game that a cohort of players are not going to be happy with.
Granted this is a very valid rule of thumb in general, in all aspects of life, I beg to disagree.

Are we seeing a lot of people complaining about Odyssey? Yes, since day one.
Have we seen this many people complaining about Omen or Divergence? Not at all. (well for Divergence there were a lot of complaints but they were mostly about the technical aspects of lag etc, it's a different story and let's leave it ouside for the moment).

This shows how while it's impossible to make everyone happy, it's absolutely possible to make the majority of players happy.
They did it before, they could've done it this time, they simply failed. I'm sure they'll nail it again eventually, just not this time.
First Page 2 3 ... 112 113 114 ... 237 238 239