Will WoW Classic Affect FFXI Playability?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Will WoW Classic affect FFXI playability?
Will WoW Classic affect FFXI playability?
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

You're focusing on the events, which just makes it more clear you couldn't give less of a ***about the people. If you're in a group with people you actually like, you could enjoy content instead of seeing it as a chore. You get on for a couple hours, do some stuff with your friends(maybe you need it, maybe they need it and you don't), you get off. It doesn't need to be a 24 hour a day thing.

Still not seeing a single person actually crying that they can't afford transfer fee and are stuck off of Asura.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Could you provide five examples, if there are 20?
 Asura.Dibble
Server: Asura
user: Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2019-07-25 08:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Has any once popular MMORPG ever actually closed down? AFAIK even ancient things like Ragnarok, Everquest etc. never closed down.
City of Heroes?
Quote:
Third worst thing about wow clones is constant gear replacement, every 6-12 months or so they bring out new dungeons with new gear that make all your old gear complete garbage.
This is not a feature unique to WoW clones... I have the impression that the gear treadmill in FFXI is going very strong.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said:
Still not seeing a single person actually crying that they can't afford transfer fee and are stuck off of Asura.
Only about... 20 people post on this forum regularly.

You just said there were 20 people who post on this forum regularly that can't afford to swap to Asura and are rotting on small servers. Surely you can locate 5 of them.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So, who are you arguing on the behalf of? These invisible players who don't care to get on forums, play XI enough to be affected by endgame numbers, pay the 12.95(+wardrobe/mules if applicable), but can't spare an extra $9-18 to move?

You must realize how ridiculous you sound.
 Asura.Dibble
user: Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2019-07-25 08:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
You're focusing on the events, which just makes it more clear you couldn't give less of a ***about the people. If you're in a group with people you actually like, you could enjoy content instead of seeing it as a chore. You get on for a couple hours, do some stuff with your friends(maybe you need it, maybe they need it and you don't), you get off. It doesn't need to be a 24 hour a day thing.
In my time playing FFXI I have noticed a definite difference in attitudes between US and EU players, especially UK players. I've usually found US players to be much more generous with their time and generally more laid back (obvs with exceptions). I've had very few friendships with UK based players. I blame Margaret Thatcher.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Morals - SE should provide a good service, you shouldn't have to pay extra to get a population that facilitates an MMO.
All the people currently enjoying their small server experience would consider it a disservice for SE to merge them. It's been well established that Asura is an option for players who want a larger playerbase and more access to shout content.

2. Because all their associates will not move.
So, we should force them all to move for the 1 disenfranchised player who needs a bigger population but is too close to their friends to leave them? Would the 1 player even support forcing all their friends to move with them?

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you not now doing what you 5mins ago accused me of doing? Speaking for masses of other people? How do you know the majority would not prefer a more populated server? Hell, some new players might not even know they exist!
I personally know over 30 people who are happy with the population on Leviathan and are strongly against any sort of merge. Many of them are not in my linkshell, some post here(Celebrindal comes to mind). I am one of them. There's no hypothetical about it.

I can't say I've ever come across anyone ingame or on the forum who's crying that they want to be on Asura but can't afford to swap.

How would they suffer? Noone is proposing merges into Asura-sized servers necessarily. How would going from 300 online to 600 online ruin anyone's game? Even 1200? Please answer this one.
Twice as many people at every contested spot in the game? Four times as many? ***tier bait.

There are only a couple of top notch CP camps, abyssea NMs quickly become tiring with even a single opposing group, and so on. Doubling the population doubles the amount of competition you'll run into in these places. Even with our '60 active players', you'll find most/all of the CP camps taken at any point during a CP campaign. So, obviously this is a problem that continues to scale with more people.

Edit: Almost forgot about Gain Experience. Best camps taken from 5 minutes before it starts until it ends, every time. Fun.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it really that hard to understand that twice as many players = (roughly) twice as many people who need a given content? You may not have twice the competition at abyssea NMs, but you're twice as likely to have competition.

Things like gain exp and CP campaign are much more ubiquitous and you will absolutely have more competition.

This is tired, you aren't on a small server, nobody on a small server is here asking for this. You can tell yourself what you like, I'm done.
By Shichishito 2019-07-25 08:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

kireek said: »
Merges do nothing but damage the communities that keep people playing, familiarity is an important thing that keeps people playing long-term. Square realized this long ago and that is why they refuse to do merges on ffxi
YouTube Video Placeholder

SE doesn't give a damn about the community, they care about the extra cash. the guys arguing against merges are usually from asura and dig pay2win or straight up RMT.

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
If you always play with the same group, the only difference between that group being on Asura or Leviathan is that you'll have long *** waits and congestion on Asura.
even if you find/build a static group chances are you dealing with multi boxers. since people now a days have a RL with families (fools, i know...) and sometimes can't show up for that reason you have to replace multiple jobs short term on a lowpop server, good luck with that.
and lets not act like there is no congestion on lowpop servers right after the ambu update. they also have long queues and wait times up to 20-30 minutes/run, the difference is on a high pop server you can wait out the initial inrush without beeing afraid everyone is already done later that month.

kireek said: »
Also it's really important to understand that most FFXI players (like all mmorpg players now) mostly prefer to solo stuff, the developers stated recently that Odin is the biggest JP server and it's mostly filled with people doing stuff solo or in very small groups.
i agree, lots of people prefer to solo but there is no way around grouping up for endgame content. so you have players that soloed their way thru till endgame on their own schedule and all of a sudden you want to force linkshell schedules on them like its a job? this game was overdue for a decent party finder almost a decade ago.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-07-25 08:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

idc what happens, as long as no more servers merge into asura. Infact, Asura should be permenantly greyed out when creating a new character, and remove asura from the transfer list. That would be a nice start.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I said I was done, but I feel a need to point out that your hypotheticals are entirely wrong.

CP is currently an issue on Leviathan every time the campaign comes up. This isn't a theoretical, it's not some imaginary problem, if you go out to the good camps in Doh, Woh, or Rakaznar during a CP campaign they will each have a party. Doh usually has 3-5. Maybe your standards are lower and you're fine with multiple parties per camp, maybe for some reason we have a higher percentage of active players out of our total population, I don't know. I do know that if I can run out of mobs at an apex camp, I'm being impacted by the competition.

Abyssea isn't something you deal with every time you go out. Doubling the population won't make it that. But, with twice as many people, you have twice as much chance of seeing someone already at the NM you planned to farm. It isn't that it hurts you every time, it's that when it does it ruins your plans. Even if you're the kind of *** to camp on someone else in abyssea, you'll get half as many claims and be spending the same amount of time for half the productivity.

Gain exp is a primary gil source for quite a few people, so being unable to do it effectively would certainly hurt their experience.

Is any of this a huge deal that makes the game unplayable? Probably not. But, if you already have a group and you're not feeling any negatives to your group content experience from the lower population, why would you want to negatively impact your more solo-friendly stuff by dumping a bunch more randoms into your server? There is no upside to merges for people who have a solid group that they are happy with. It's that simple.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-07-25 08:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Gain exp I don't know about - but is that really so important to most people or just for a few who abuse it for afk/botted gil?

Gain exp, if done right is a fairly nice chunk of gil for playing just 12hrs a week. Per character your looking at 8-10mil per gainexp, running just 1 extra character, thats 50mil~ a week with minimal playtime, 6 characters thats 144mil~ a week. Thats without afk/botting. For alot of people thats there main gil income, and during the accolade event, you can add +50% to those figures easy.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 09:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't have to be 'no mobs anywhere' to be a negative, just has to be 'no mob up when I'm ready to pull'. I find it hard to accept that botting or mercing while you sleep is a viable replacement for having empty camps, as well.

If you enjoy a larger population and aren't bothered by the congestion, that's great for you. I'm telling you, in as plain of terms as possible, that not everyone feels the same way.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-07-25 09:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You dont need 6 characters I was just saying that the more characters you have the more your income increases. Even with just one character, a guaranteed 25+mil a week with little effort isn't really anything to scoff at.

Post deleted by User.
By Shichishito 2019-07-25 09:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

there have been threads asking for server merges a couple of years ago on reddit and you get comments asking for merges off topic on different threads every now and then.

i don't think there are many that asking for server merges cause they can't afford them. those who complain do so cause they recognise the server jump fee for what it is, a greedy up-selling rip off buisness strategy for a service SE used to provide for free in the form of server merges in the past.

that you won't see constant ongoing riots over that topic makes sense for multiple reasons.
-there aren't many people left playing.
-asking anything from SE is like talking to a wall and since the thing you ask for would at least mean a short term lose for SE most ppl realise its a pointless endeavour.
-the larger masses who used to complain years ago either bit the bullet by now and payed the fee or quit cause why would you keep paying subscription fees if you can't do content.

the fact that this topic keeps coming up every now and then aswell as asurans complaining about congestion is good evidence that servers aren't in a good state. asura is too cluttered and the rest is too empty.

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12