Will WoW Classic Affect FFXI Playability?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Will WoW Classic affect FFXI playability?
Will WoW Classic affect FFXI playability?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-07-24 09:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
kireek said: »
Almost nobody wants to go play old style ffxi really

Didn't one of the WoW developers say that they'd never make a "Classic WoW" because it wouldn't be worth the effort, or something?

Yeah but Blizzard got rid of all the old developers and made classic so.

Edit: Also here's how Yoshi P responded to XIV classic.
 Asura.Lotomos
user: Lotomos
By Asura.Lotomos 2019-07-24 09:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't one of the WoW developers say that they'd never make a "Classic WoW" because it wouldn't be worth the effort, or something?

"You think you do, but you don't"
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2019-07-24 10:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »

Yeah but Blizzard got rid of all the old developers and made classic so.

Edit: Also here's how Yoshi P responded to XIV classic.
which is a shame, since the combat game play was a lot better in 1.0, it wasn't a 1 2 3 button spam like it is now.
[+]
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-07-24 12:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Spam 1 (Basic Attack) over and over again until you built up enough TP to use another weapon skill.

Spam 1 (still Basic Attack) over and over again until you have enough TP to use another weaker weapon skill, because the one you just used is now on cooldown.

Repeat.

Such depth.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-07-24 13:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI basic attack is automated. So you only need to press the WS button. You only need 1 because that's your strongest and there is no cool down.

So press WS button at 1000tp. Repeat.

I don't think either game got much depth.

For that matter, I don't think Dark souls got much depth either. Ten thousand perfect butt pokes would be hard but they are butt pokes.

I think Rim World and Total War would have more depth.
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2019-07-24 13:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Bahamut.Negan said: »
Has any once popular MMORPG ever actually closed down? AFAIK even ancient things like Ragnarok, Everquest etc. never closed down.
SWG because BioWare got rights to SW games, and proceeded to make the wonderful SWTOR :|

That's one of the bigger ones that closed down. I used to play that so much back in the day.
ILY Draylo. Let's be bff's k? I still play SWGEmu (Pre-CUish)!
 Shiva.Zyaan
Server: Shiva
user: Chastr
By Shiva.Zyaan 2019-07-24 13:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Classic wow is still a solo friendly mmorpg with difficulty increases and some open world pvp changes etc, it would still be fun in 2019.

Classic ffxi would be total ***, and I say that as someone that loved it back in the day and played over 10 hours a day.

Almost nobody wants to go play old style ffxi really, it was a total horror show. Drops taking literally years to get, long lockouts of everything, being unable to do anything on your own at all, having to LFG past level 12 and while LFG being locked into only being able to LFG and nothing else (no joining groups to do something else), doing events at 2am cause that was the time everyone was available, camping garbage like sandworm every day (and sometimes it decides to not pop) where you're just refreshing widescan over and over for literally 6 hours or camping tiamat or watching staggered bots claim nidhogg over and over.

Modern ffxi is just fine.

No. You're one of those people who complains and never make any progress.

Classic FFXI > modern FFXI. I loved every aspect of classic FFXI including the waiting games, party, crafting, dynanamis etc. Most of the times ppl who LFG are just afraid or refuse to start their own party which is their fault. But then again, to each their own.

Classic FFXI is the ONLY mmorpg that I thoroughly enjoyed. The teamwork, the communications, the work and so on. It was certainly wasn't easy but it's rewarding in the end. I would love it when they bring the classic back so do few other of my friends.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-07-24 14:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Zyaan said: »
Classic wow is still a solo friendly mmorpg with difficulty increases and some open world pvp changes etc, it would still be fun in 2019.

Classic ffxi would be total ***, and I say that as someone that loved it back in the day and played over 10 hours a day.

Almost nobody wants to go play old style ffxi really, it was a total horror show. Drops taking literally years to get, long lockouts of everything, being unable to do anything on your own at all, having to LFG past level 12 and while LFG being locked into only being able to LFG and nothing else (no joining groups to do something else), doing events at 2am cause that was the time everyone was available, camping garbage like sandworm every day (and sometimes it decides to not pop) where you're just refreshing widescan over and over for literally 6 hours or camping tiamat or watching staggered bots claim nidhogg over and over.

Modern ffxi is just fine.

No. You're one of those people who complains and never make any progress.

Classic FFXI > modern FFXI. I loved every aspect of classic FFXI including the waiting games, party, crafting, dynanamis etc. Most of the times ppl who LFG are just afraid or refuse to start their own party which is their fault. But then again, to each their own.

Classic FFXI is the ONLY mmorpg that I thoroughly enjoyed. The teamwork, the communications, the work and so on. It was certainly wasn't easy but it's rewarding in the end. I would love it when they bring the classic back so do few other of my friends.

Nah, the "work" was mostly a repeat of hoping for good RNG because gear choice simply wasn't there. Most jobs had no access to PDT/MDT sets. Defense didn't "work", so you used shadows for *** everything. The game was drastically more simple, but also more punishing because of level correction. There was less you could actually do to react to things.

The whole teamwork, communications, work, etc. all still very much can exist in modern XI, if you're not experiencing it, you're playing with scrubs.

And a decent part of the difficulty was also the community not properly understanding mechanics, now that we have a better understanding of it, we'd destroy classic content a lot easier. The top LS's of today (the Bahamut LS that did some of the first wave 3 clears, Ejin+Martel, etc.) could go to classic XI and run through content from a difficulty perspective.

Current XI requires more gear, allows you to better utilize gear, and requires more teamwork than classic did. But much of that is standardized now, so it doesn't feel like it did back in the day. It's just rose-colored glasses about how things felt back in the day.
 Fenrir.Aladeus
Server: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2019-07-24 14:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

the main problem if they did have a classic XI server is that there's no way we would have the player base that we used to have, which is how things got done. ppl would still have to bot like 4 characters each to get stuff like kirin, DL, HNMs, etc done. granted your waiting time on gear would be down a lot from when it was 75 era, but the fun of taking 64 ppl in dynamis-xarcabard wouldn't be possible. or maxing out al zahbi with 700 ppl for besieged. you could fit like 5 servers into that amount now. if you feel nostalgic for 75 era, go play on one of the private servers for a bit.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2019-07-24 15:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Matsui here!
We've listened to your feedback and decided to make a classic server. There will be only one tweak. Skeles are no longer weak to blunt. Sorry MNKs.
Please look forward to it.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-07-24 15:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Never played wow but was told it was for scrubs...

I aint no scrub... my mommy told me so
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-07-24 17:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Never played wow but was told it was for scrubs...

I aint no scrub... my mommy told me so

WoW > FFXI

fUr Da Al1IaNc3333!!!
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2019-07-24 18:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Classic FFXI > modern FFXI. I loved every aspect of classic FFXI including the waiting games, party, crafting, dynanamis etc.
Do you also masturbate by taking a hammer to your scrotum?

I might allow that some aspects of 2019 FFXI are... I dunno, what do the whinging snotballs claim is wrong? It's too easy or too repetitive or something? Anyhow, I could pretend that there's some credence to those complaints, but going back to 2004 FFXI is like joining a marathon with two working thumbs but four broken limbs. If you're very lucky, you'll cross the finish line before the heat death of the universe, which in this case could refer to "Reaching level 75 on a job other than Red Mage," much less really pointlessly long grind-fests like making a shiny new Guttler.

I do love the constant complaints about no one grouping up for anything or whatever. That sure isn't my experience. Actually, I can do this crazy thing where I say, "Hey, anyone wanna do EventX?" in my linkshell and people will actually *** join. Try that back in 2005 when the response is "Nah, I need to level up" or "I'm botting Fafnir 'til 5 AM." I'm antisocial and could slap together a random *** party because everyone has jobs leveled up and adequately geared.

On the subject of WoW Classic, I might decide to punish myself and relive the boredom of having to actually grind mobs like an FFXI player because quest XP dies a painful death about 7 levels from the cap. If I do, I'll do the same thing I did upon hitting level 60 every other time: do half a dozen dungeon runs and immediately quit because *** 40-man raiding. Could someone explain to me what the appeal is of being part of a group so large that your individual contribution is negligible and the only reason anyone knows who you are is because you're the jackass who gets turned into a Living Bomb and runs straight at the tank group? Being anonymous player #34 forced into a healing spec because the chick banging the raid leader wants to play her green-geared Rogue is definitely not my idea of a good time.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-07-24 23:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Being on Bahamut which doesn't have a population problem, how can you speak for the servers which have 200-300 people online and of those not even half which are actually there and playing? Are you suggesting that having a few friends who all happen to have a bunch of characters that they can multibox through automation and add-ons is the norm, or how the game should be played?

Considering there's many groups that do thing on Bahamut and it's not even twice as large as the #s you just suggested, it's really easy to do the comparison. A merge isn't needed, and yes the current game works really well low-man for almost all content, literally the only exception I can think of is Dyna-D, which can still be done with 2 parties. Get good?
 Asura.Kalimairo
user: kalimairo
By Asura.Kalimairo 2019-07-25 00:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Classic FFXI > modern FFXI. I loved every aspect of classic FFXI including the waiting games, party, crafting, dynanamis etc.
Do you also masturbate by taking a hammer to your scrotum?

I might allow that some aspects of 2019 FFXI are... I dunno, what do the whinging snotballs claim is wrong? It's too easy or too repetitive or something? Anyhow, I could pretend that there's some credence to those complaints, but going back to 2004 FFXI is like joining a marathon with two working thumbs but four broken limbs. If you're very lucky, you'll cross the finish line before the heat death of the universe, which in this case could refer to "Reaching level 75 on a job other than Red Mage," much less really pointlessly long grind-fests like making a shiny new Guttler.

I do love the constant complaints about no one grouping up for anything or whatever. That sure isn't my experience. Actually, I can do this crazy thing where I say, "Hey, anyone wanna do EventX?" in my linkshell and people will actually *** join. Try that back in 2005 when the response is "Nah, I need to level up" or "I'm botting Fafnir 'til 5 AM." I'm antisocial and could slap together a random *** party because everyone has jobs leveled up and adequately geared.

On the subject of WoW Classic, I might decide to punish myself and relive the boredom of having to actually grind mobs like an FFXI player because quest XP dies a painful death about 7 levels from the cap. If I do, I'll do the same thing I did upon hitting level 60 every other time: do half a dozen dungeon runs and immediately quit because *** 40-man raiding. Could someone explain to me what the appeal is of being part of a group so large that your individual contribution is negligible and the only reason anyone knows who you are is because you're the jackass who gets turned into a Living Bomb and runs straight at the tank group? Being anonymous player #34 forced into a healing spec because the chick banging the raid leader wants to play her green-geared Rogue is definitely not my idea of a good time.

thats so true nothing will ever get close to FFXI Classic, When i say Classic i mean the 75 ERA Zilart to WOTG
 Asura.Kalimairo
user: kalimairo
By Asura.Kalimairo 2019-07-25 00:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Has any once popular MMORPG ever actually closed down? AFAIK even ancient things like Ragnarok, Everquest etc. never closed down.

Ragnarok is still going, but its in a ***state just like Recent FFXI, thanks to the new Windower plugin's botts, and everquest has Classic servers over 5, and the population is actually Very good, i got to 26 in mangler, started 4 days ago,

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 07:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's $9 2-3 months out of the year during the discount campaigns. If you wanted to change as an ongoing problem, you could easily have done so during one of those, so it is effectively $9 for anyone still whining at this point.

Server transfers are a big portion of SE's income from the game, with some people even going back and forth from Asura to other servers when they need to farm CP or empyrean items. Things are fine how they are, you're creating a hypothetical problem for people who aren't complaining, from a perspective that isn't experiencing it.

It only ever seems to be Asura people whining for a merge(some sick sense of 'if I can't enjoy a smaller server, surely other people can't either'?). We should accomodate them, throw Asura and Bahamut together and leave everyone else alone.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You see 300 characters online as a problem. Obviously the people continuing to play on that server don't. Why is that so hard to understand? Some of my LS may have moved to Asura at some point down the road, but I don't think it's 'lots' of members. A handful went to Shiva(also small!) when I wasn't playing and are still there. The core group is all still on Leviathan. You're just projecting because you don't want to believe people can be happy on a small server.

And yes, the campaigns last 20-30 days. You could move 7 times or more if you were so inclined.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me put it another way:

If you always play with the same group, the only difference between that group being on Asura or Leviathan is that you'll have long *** waits and congestion on Asura.

That is and would be a problem for anyone who has not played non-stop or is new to the game.
Anyone who is new to the game, sure. But, not many people go onto steam to buy a 15 year old MMO and start it up with no idea what to expect. I'd be very surprised if more than 20% of new accounts didn't already have friends who played or past experience with the game.

If you have friends, it doesn't matter. 60 active people who know each other is more than enough to do a large variety of content. The real issue is that you can't commit to a group and rely on shout, so you see it as a bigger problem than it actually is.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what people on small servers do. The ones who don't care to make friends or stick with a group get bored and move to Asura.

You don't need to be able to log in at any time of the night and instantly jump into a (probably fail) group for the content you're interested in at that second to have fun. You can play a few planned hours daily with friends who will successfully accomplish each others' goals together. It's a whole lot more enjoyable than the Asura experience, in my opinion, and often more productive as well.
[+]
 Asura.Dibble
user: Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2019-07-25 08:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Biglovin said: »
What the *** is WoW!?

YouTube Video Placeholder
OMG that is awesome
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-25 08:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

But really, all you need to look at is this:

There are not mountains of threads being made by these poor disenfranchised small server folk who can't afford $9 or $18 to transfer. Every time the topic of merges comes up, it's some Asura person trying to champion for folks who clearly do not give a crap.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12