2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 61 62 63 ... 97 98 99
By SimonSes 2021-05-10 12:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Also, anyone test if switching weapons out mid-fight resets the bonus?

It doesn't
By SimonSes 2021-05-10 12:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Demhar said: »
Thank you for the supplementary clarifications. I was honestly not expecting this work on WS's. Was trying to see where the regular rattk cap would hit. The description threw me off as well. +100% dmg on WS takes the cake... the boss slayer is back!
how did you manage to keep your target alive that long to hit that 80k last stand on it? do the frogs have a lot more hp? I want to go mess around with all the ultimate weapons see how the WS are doing. Let me know where would be the best place to do this

It was overkill the frog had like 45k hp left. Also it's easy really. You can use low DMG ammo to stack the buff or simply don't use attack buffs before you WS. I was using geo, so I simply switched off fury/frailty and white damage wasnt that high. Don't stand in sweet spot too.
[+]
By kunami 2021-05-10 12:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
kunami said: »
I am open to a more 'user friendly' suggestion as well.

I like the way Falkirk did it in the BST thread in the gearset section. Listed the top set, and then included alternatives/additions section (like a good handful).

This allows people to see the top set they should strive for, but can make use of something else in the meantime instead of asking "what do I use if I don't have [item]". You'll probably get it anyways (and people should know how to do basic downgrades), but it should be minimal.

IMO, This style of gearset is very helpful, because the job I am gearing might be my 2nd or 3rd or 18th job, so I don't really NEED it to be the BEST of the best. And I might not particularly care to go after that item if I have something else nearby that is just "as" good. But those who absolutely want the best options don't have the set downgraded for "the minority". Just my 2c

That guide is really nice, but I don't think I have the bbcode know-how to efficiently make that since all I'm good for is deleting the COR stuff and filling in the formatting with RNG material (^_^;). Usually what I did was copy a table format that was already created and change text or set/item links.
[+]
 Asura.Aburaage
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Aburaage 2021-05-10 12:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Another question, is the WS damage bonus only work for ranged WS or does it work for something like Aeolian Edge too?
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-05-10 12:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So are we supposed to shoot, take 25 steps then shoot again? Sorry, I'm [Slowga].
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-10 12:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

1 yalm, so about 3 steps in either direction to be safe
[+]
 Bahamut.Atigeve
By Bahamut.Atigeve 2021-05-10 12:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

kunami said: »
Hi everyone, I am monitoring this thread closely for feedback on the new skill and I will try to have it updated into the node today.

Asura.Eiryl said: »
It's in the details. Not super user friendly.

The sets are for WF/TF with the caveat set after them with TF/WF specific swaps, and a note before the sets.

Regarding the Trueflight set do you guys think I should just slap the Weatherspoon ring in the set? I think it will six one way or half dozen the other with people asking "What should I use if I don't have Weathersppon Ring?" I am open to a more 'user friendly' suggestion as well.

For me personally, I was just simply curious why Dingir was in there (since it was listed as top) I already have dinger but was considering grabbing weatherspoon since I am about to finish Gastra and as far as i knew it has its own multiplier, but I wasnt sure if i was thinking wrong or if dingirs stats simply outweighed the weatherspoon, this is why I asked. Coming back to rng after a few years and trying to modernize and optimize my gear.
By Crossbones 2021-05-10 13:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

With these updates I'm not even sure weatherspoon is as valuable as it was. Sure for single target mobs like dyna volte it's still great but whenever you can take advantage of hover shot it's value will drop off because you can only do so much damage. Same thing with annihilator, although I already thought it was a massively overrated weapon to begin with. I think this update will change some of the RNG gear optimization around.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-05-10 13:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Crossbones said: »
With these updates I'm not even sure weatherspoon is as valuable as it was. Sure for single target mobs like dyna volte it's still great but whenever you can take advantage of hover shot it's value will drop off because you can only do so much damage. Same thing with annihilator, although I already thought it was a massively overrated weapon to begin with. I think this update will change some of the RNG gear optimization around.

Hover shot only works for single target. You wont automatically cap damage on everything now because of hover shot.
I dont get you Annihilator argument tho. You mean Hover nerfs Anni in some way? If anything 50k+ Coronach with white damage higher than AM3 arma before this update sounds like low hate mechanic on WS can be even better? Like I have seen Arma and Fomal pulling hate before on Lamia Ambuscade for example. Now you can use Anni for much more damage than those weapons were doing before Hover shot, but with less enmity. Sounds rather cool.
[+]
By Veydal1 2021-05-10 13:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe annihilator is even better now considering you're gonna be pulling a ton of hate if you're dropping bombs like that with capped hover shot lol.

Edit: Simon beat me to it
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-05-10 14:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sweet, so we get +100% WSD to counter the double dark weather without the need for constant storm babysitting!

On a more serious note.... The madlads did it. They made our lives far more annoying for an actual reward that is worth it. Also made me buy a shiny offhand gleti's to fix up my melee set after mailing my 2nd char my ternion.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-10 14:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So Gandiva is going to get my killed and laughed at twice as fast now huh
[+]
 Asura.Highwynn
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2021-05-10 14:22:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't play FFXI anymore but I used to play RNG back in the day before I quit in 2014. Why does Hover Shot exist? It was my understanding that, if anything, RNG was meant to be somewhat of a turret and to maintain being still so you can fire off as many ranged attacks as possible. What is the logic behind hovershot???
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-05-10 14:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

seeing some decent Trueflight damage on Apex bats with no buffs, just 3k tp. They're about 75k dmg, but it takes a while to get to that.

Coro I haven't seen much success, getting a lot of interrupts cause the delay, so my timing is off lol.

Does the bonus reset if you shoot from the same spot consecutively?

Seems fun, but i'll keep messing around.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-10 14:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Going to be great for spamming Arebati fights.
[+]
 Odin.Demhar
Server: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-05-10 14:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The biggest hurtle is going to be NOT forgetting to move after shots and WS's. Whoever plays ranger for many years is mechanically wired on timing shots fast back to back to minimize dps loss. It's definitely going to take some practice
[+]
By Pipster 2021-05-10 14:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone try capped Hover on barrage yet?
 Asura.Aburaage
By Asura.Aburaage 2021-05-10 14:56:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's going to be a challenge finding a mob to test that on, any ideas?
By Crossbones 2021-05-10 14:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

Hover shot only works for single target. You wont automatically cap damage on everything now because of hover shot.
I dont get you Annihilator argument tho. You mean Hover nerfs Anni in some way? If anything 50k+ Coronach with white damage higher than AM3 arma before this update sounds like low hate mechanic on WS can be even better? Like I have seen Arma and Fomal pulling hate before on Lamia Ambuscade for example. Now you can use Anni for much more damage than those weapons were doing before Hover shot, but with less enmity. Sounds rather cool.

I didn't say hover shot nerfs anything. I'm saying that the enmity decrease you get from it plus the changes to decoy shot made the perks anni brought to the table less impactful. I've always thought it was a very niche / mostly garbage weapon but now the value it had is diminished by these changes (plus ikenga gear). Same thing with weatherspoon ring, on mobs where you don't build stacks it will still be great but when you can build them it won't add as much because damage caps at 99k.
By SimonSes 2021-05-10 15:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say hover shot nerfs anything. I'm saying that the enmity decrease you get from it plus the changes to decoy shot made the perks anni brought to the table less impactful. I've always thought it was a very niche / mostly garbage weapon but now the value it had is diminished by these changes (plus ikenga gear). Same thing with weatherspoon ring, on mobs where you don't build stacks it will still be great but when you can build them it won't add as much because damage caps at 99k.

Idk, Increase in damage from Hover Shot is relatively much higher than increase in enmity- from it. So if you were getting hate before Hover Shot, you will probably get hate in the same fights with Hover Shot. Anni should probably be useful for exactly same instances that it was useful before.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-10 15:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk, Increase in damage from Hover Shot is relatively much higher than increase in enmity- from it. So if you were getting hate before Hover Shot, you will probably get hate in the same fights with Hover Shot. Anni should probably be useful for exactly same instances that it was useful before.
The enmity- has been tested already?
By Pipster 2021-05-10 15:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aburaage said: »
Wave 3 boss? Ehhhh Yea lol
By Ruaumoko 2021-05-10 15:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Can forsee some nutty damage on Arebati.

SCH using Firestorm II for Wildfire damage and to Caper Emissarius the Enmity off the RNG.
[+]
By Foxfire 2021-05-10 15:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
well, no, but early impressions and the nature of the ability is that it slowly ramps up - ergo you're getting minimal enm- until you've stacked enough.

since you can't use decoy shot alongside it, you can't really make use of the boosted enm- for initial hate.

does that make sense? am i making sense? it adds up in my head but i'm *** at explaining
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-05-10 15:27:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Anni was rangers strongest REMA for physical damage most of the time. After the REMA upgrades and especially after R15 was released, there really wasnt much of a contest for drawn out battles. Enmity suppression isnt overblown, it is one of the best stats in the game for a DD, especially since decoy shot can almost never be used due to tanking against walls to avoid knockback.

Not to mention it was the cheapest REMA to obtain by far (assuming cost of mercing aeonic), you really have no contest between anni and any other physical option.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-10 15:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Foxfire said: »
Asura.Geriond said: »
well, no, but early impressions and the nature of the ability is that it slowly ramps up - ergo you're getting minimal enm- until you've stacked enough.

since you can't use decoy shot alongside it, you can't really make use of the boosted enm- for initial hate.

does that make sense? am i making sense? it adds up in my head but i'm *** at explaining
The actual potency of the enmity- (and how it stacks with other types of enmity-) matters more than the ramping aspect, so I was expressing surprise that the potency had been tested already as Simon had implied.
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-05-10 15:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aburaage said: »

Maybe WKR? They don't die in two hits and won't slaughter trusts.
By Foxfire 2021-05-10 16:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried on hurkan but he started spamming tp moves that erased velocity and hover shot so i just killed it at that point
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-05-10 16:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Foxfire said: »
Tried on hurkan but he started spamming tp moves that erased velocity and hover shot so i just killed it at that point

Ha!

I tried Hurkan too, didn't get dispelled, but I was dumb and used Annihilator I was capped, but not sure if it was a relic proc.

Barrage did 60k and Coronach did 65k. Will play around more using fomal so I don't skew with relic procs
By kunami 2021-05-10 16:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I put in a little blurb about hover shot and updated the duration of Decoy Shot. I also added a sentence about the nerf(?) to Decoy Shot. Additionally I added SimonSes to the list of people who contributed to the credits, which is probably long overdue.

Still thinking about the trueflight / wildfire stuff but I have to step out.

As always, let me know if you find something out of place or messed up. Thanks.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 61 62 63 ... 97 98 99