August Ambuscade Volume One

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2019-03-13
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » August Ambuscade Volume One
August Ambuscade Volume One
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5075
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-07 10:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Fight:

Repeat of Imps + Soulflayer (main NM).

Imp Moves: Dark Recital (full aoe dispel, paralyze), Grating Tantra (Aoe Amnesia), Potent Lunge, Diamondhide, Enervation, Aeroja, Overthrow

Soulflayer Moves: Azure Lore, Tribulation (very potent Bio AOE), Immortal Mind, Blue Magic spells - Droning Whirlwind (full aoe dispel; can be used even without Azure Lore active), Mighty Guard, Subduction, Uproot.

Gimmick:

Soulflayer uses a shield move that negates most damage sources. SMN can break it with Volt Strikes, but the gimmick appears weapon skill damage can bypass it (whether from pets or players), whereas most normal attacks cannot. Shield appears to have TP-Drain spikes as additional effect. Critical hits may also bypass the shield as well.

Theory: two highest enmity players can break the shield (need clarification on this)

Soulflayer is able to upgrade initial shield to a "double shield", negating all forms of damage (need clarification on this)

Imps take increased piercing damage.

Fight usually starts off by picking off each Imp until all are dead. Generally, ranged strat works well (COR x3 OR mix of RNG+COR), as AOE damage becomes quite harder to deal with once they are dead and you're standing in range. Spike damage will pull hate from tank likely, so a well-timed skillchain or hate reset source may be useful.

The Soulflayer has access to "Droning Whirlwind", a full AOE dispel move, and uses "Tribulation", which is a very potent Bio that needs to be removed asap, as it's something pretty insane (like 500+ HP/tick or something iirc?), though it can be resisted. Standing at max shooting/curing range works best.

Conversation is here, with several videos:

YouTube Video Placeholder


https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/48624/ambuscade-findings/21/#3204003

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/48624/ambuscade-findings/23/#3204848
 Fenrir.Snaps
Offline
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Mojopojo
Posts: 1139
By Fenrir.Snaps 2018-08-07 11:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply
 
The info on the shield is a bit wrong although it's been a long time so my recollection might be off too.

There's a single shield and a double shield. The single shield seems to be timed based after the imps are dead. Once it goes up, melee/ranged non crits will do zero damage although any kind of weaponskill (including blood pacts) will do normal damage. If you don't deal enough damage within a period of time after the single shield goes up, the single shield gets promoted to a double shield and I think all forms of damage are negated at that point. If you pass the DPS check on the single shield it goes away and will come back again after some period of time.

Pet jobs and rangers are good because you can avoid getting hit by the AoE dispel (20') although if you wanted to I'm sure you could do it with melee as well.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5075
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-07 11:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Thanks, will update OP with findings as people chime in.
Offline
Posts: 1808
By DirectX 2018-08-07 11:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Wouldn't recommend doing it with melee DD. The AoE dispel, amnesia and para make it horrible for WHM and tank seems to take a lot of damage too.
 Asura.Eiryl
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-07 11:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Pretty much impossible for DD with the bio aura and full dispel. (now that it has 3x more hp) at least for the not 1%, like how are you going to out heal 1k bio aura.

Unless you can stun lock it
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5075
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-07 12:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply
 
What is the trigger for Droning Whirlwind + Tribulation moves being used? HP threshold? Or just random access at any given time?
 Fenrir.Snaps
Offline
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Mojopojo
Posts: 1139
By Fenrir.Snaps 2018-08-07 12:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Droning Whirlwind is cast. I think maybe while it has Azure Lore up? I don't really know thb.
Offline
Posts: 1030
By SeekerStar 2018-08-07 12:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply
 
When I heard Souflayer I knew I wasn't meleeing this month, full dispel annoys the ***out of me. I'd imagine Aegis paladin would be able to tank fine, especially if Fealty negates the Bio. With ranged strat I'm sure I can get a RD if needed.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5075
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-07 12:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply
 
The Reisenjima Soulflayer T1 can be cheesed during Azure Lore by just kiting it. Since all of his spells are BLU magic, they are subject to very low range. If Droning Whirlwind is only used under the effects of Azure Lore (would make sense), I wonder if it would be possible to kite him for the duration and then resume tanking.
[+]
Offline
Posts: 1030
By SeekerStar 2018-08-07 12:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
The Reisenjima Soulflayer T1 can be cheesed during Azure Lore by just kiting it. Since all of his spells are BLU magic, they are subject to very low range. If Droning Whirlwind is only used under the effects of Azure Lore (would make sense), I wonder if it would be possible to kite him for the duration and then resume tanking.

This is very true and almost always works in Reisen. It uses its Azure Lore to skillchain, though.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5075
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-07 12:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply
 
It does, but it uses magical spells as well (like Spectral Floe etc). I'm saying, if the Whirlwind is activated through Azure Lore, it might be worth testing if he follows a specific spell order, and see if it can just be kited. Lore only lasts 30 seconds, so if it works, might be a gimmick you can exploit if you are going Melee setup.
 Shiva.Arislan
Offline
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Arislan
Posts: 811
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-08-07 12:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply
 
The imps are stupid-weak to piercing. With just Chaos Roll and 2 Minuets, was seeing 45-55k Last Stands.

Pulling hate really sucks: Dark Recital (Full Dispel + Para) and Grating Tantra (Amnesia). Your BRDs and CORs might /wrist from all the resinging/rerolling. Good month for Anni RNGs, I would say, and liberal use of Decoy Shot. Or have ppl sub DRG for jump.

VD, SMN is probably a must for breaking Immortal Shield. And multiple times the shield was down and I was still hitting for 0 on COR... could be a hate mechanic or something like people were surmising in the original thread. Or a glitch they never fixed.

Finale can remove Mighty Guard and Immortal Mind from main NM.

Easy fight, but annoying as hell.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snaps
Offline
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Mojopojo
Posts: 1139
By Fenrir.Snaps 2018-08-07 12:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply
 
SMN is definitely not a must. We never used it in any of the runs we did (tank COR RNG RNG GEO WHM). Gear has improved considerably since then too.
 Asura.Eiryl
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-07 13:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply
 
K, for reals, can we not immediately jump on the

"ranged damage is the only way to do this" train. That'd be fantastic.
 Shiva.Arislan
Offline
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Arislan
Posts: 811
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-08-07 13:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Fenrir.Snaps said: »
SMN is definitely not a must. We never used it in any of the runs we did (tank COR RNG RNG GEO WHM). Gear has improved considerably since then too.

HP increased by a lot since then too, so you'll see more shields. I could see breaking the first or second shield with meditate or tac roll or something, but eventually your ability to gain tp will fall behind shield spam and you'll time out.

Edit: or maybe Empy AM3 crits might be enough to overcome the Phalanx effect of shield on it's own? That might be worth checking out.
 Phoenix.Brixy
Guide Maker
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Brixy
By Phoenix.Brixy 2018-08-07 13:06:42
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Wasn't the original fight limited to something like only the top 2 on emnity list could do damage, excluding ws? It's been forever since we had the Soulflayer but I remember there was some sort of emnity mechanic. Tank will always take up 1 of those spots so only 1 other person is able to deal damage. SMN ignores the shield since their bloodpacts are considered weaponskills and they can clear their enmity and/or pacifying ruby the healer so the RNG/COR can get tp to ws easier.

Mighty Guard can be Atomos'd for the party.
 Fenrir.Snaps
Offline
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Mojopojo
Posts: 1139
By Fenrir.Snaps 2018-08-07 13:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Shiva.Arislan said: »
Fenrir.Snaps said: »
SMN is definitely not a must. We never used it in any of the runs we did (tank COR RNG RNG GEO WHM). Gear has improved considerably since then too.

HP increased by a lot since then too, so you'll see more shields. I could see breaking the first or second shield with meditate or tac roll or something, but eventually your ability to gain tp will fall behind shield spam and you'll time out.

We never had any issues breaking the first shield (no special JA or anything). Even though the HP is higher, breaking the shield should be easier due to better gear. Unless the timer shortens as you go it doesn't seem likely.

Also I vaguely remember there being some enmity mechanic, or at least people thought there was, but I don't remember the details.

I'm not saying this is ranged only, just that SMN is not required.
 Asura.Eiryl
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-07 13:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply
 
No ones "said it" yet but as soon as you go "we won with rangers" nothing else matters. It's already ruined for the entire month. No one will figure it out.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-07 14:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply
 
It can use all of the delve moves without azure lore up.

After it used azure lore, long after it wore off it was still doing droning whirlwind, uproot

15:13:25 Azure Lore
15:15:31 Droning Whirlwind
15:16:03 Droning Whirlwind
15:16:26 Uproot
15:16:47 Uproot

The only spell before Azure Lore was Subduction
 Bahamut.Justthetip
Offline
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: sairasu
Posts: 163
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2018-08-07 14:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Eiryl said: »
No ones "said it" yet but as soon as you go "we won with rangers" nothing else matters. It's already ruined for the entire month. No one will figure it out.

Then isnt the blame on the people who didn't figure it out or were to lazy to figure it out? Why does everyone need a million ways to beat something? If you feel the ranged only strat isnt right for you then run something else.
Offline
Posts: 1030
By SeekerStar 2018-08-07 14:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Eiryl said: »
It can use all of the delve moves without azure lore up.

After it used azure lore, long after it wore off it was still doing droning whirlwind, uproot

15:13:25 Azure Lore
15:15:31 Droning Whirlwind
15:16:03 Droning Whirlwind
15:16:26 Uproot
15:16:47 Uproot

The only spell before Azure Lore was Subduction

Let me guess.... they're actually GOOD when it uses them....

Is it immune to silence?

Edit- my phone is a dumb
 
Offline
Posts:
By 2018-08-07 14:38:36
 Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply
 
Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-07 14:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
No ones "said it" yet but as soon as you go "we won with rangers" nothing else matters. It's already ruined for the entire month. No one will figure it out.

Then isnt the blame on the people who didn't figure it out or were to lazy to figure it out? Why does everyone need a million ways to beat something? If you feel the ranged only strat isnt right for you then run something else.

No. it's pointless to even try to blame asurans. they aren't self aware enough to realize they're being shamed. They only know how to bandwagon the first person that said they won.

Valefor.Angierus said: »
That is a very narrow minded approach. What this advocates is people will only advertise for this or smn and all else are not options because they read it online somewhere. Then the domino effect happens where everyone follows suit.

This.
Offline
Posts: 1030
By SeekerStar 2018-08-07 14:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Not necessarily true: i know a few Asurans that will do it melee out of spite
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-07 15:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Ok so this is literally impossible with pick up rangers. shield prevents ALL damage.

all 6 members did zero,
all ws did zero
QD did zero
trueflight wildfire leaden all zero
requiscat zero
 Shiva.Zerkles
Offline
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: zerkles
Posts: 40
By Shiva.Zerkles 2018-08-07 15:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Does everything have to devolve into this type of thread? Just go try, share info and move on with your lives.

Edit: Right sharing info, cor smn rng did the trick for our group, fastest was 9 minutes on VD.
Offline
By clearlyamule 2018-08-07 15:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Shiva.Zerkles said: »
Does everything have to devolve into this type of thread? Just go try, share info and move on with your lives.
As long as the same people keep doing the same devolutions in the same threads every month yes yes it does
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
Posts: 3560
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-08-07 15:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply
 
clearlyamule said: »
Shiva.Zerkles said: »
Does everything have to devolve into this type of thread? Just go try, share info and move on with your lives.
As long as the same people keep doing the same devolutions in the same threads every month yes yes it does
Facts
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Offline
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
Posts: 1538
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-08-07 15:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Eiryl said: »
K, for reals, can we not immediately jump on the

"ranged damage is the only way to do this" train. That'd be fantastic.


Oh no. It's MY month. We're shootin' til they repeal the 2nd amendment.
[+]
Offline
Posts: 1030
By SeekerStar 2018-08-07 15:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
K, for reals, can we not immediately jump on the

"ranged damage is the only way to do this" train. That'd be fantastic.


Oh no. It's MY month. We're shootin' til they repeal the 2nd amendment.

*sets gun on fire*

Win? :D

I knew I'd wish I'd AG that friggin anni.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Log in to post.