Forum » FFXI » Ambuscade » Antican Ambuscade V1
Antican Ambuscade V1
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-11 11:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

posting a 2nd thought related to the cactuar high evasion during "running mode".

***WARNING***
this is 100% a stoner thought that happened around 1130PM on a Friday night, three dabs and 2 glasses of Malbec deep. Take with a grain of salt, or kief, if you prefer.

I all of a sudden interpreted this ambuscade as SE developers taking inspiration from the Looney Tunes cartoon "Roadrunner". And we're Wile E. Coyote. That damn Roadrunner was impossible to hit with ANYTHING while he ran! Dude even fired a missile at him once, riding it, and the roadrunner outran the missile!

Then I realized....possibly they designed the cactuar to have maximum game available evasion that's not "perfect dodge" during its run phase, and when it stops to hit ya, that's the only time you're supposed to be able to hit it. Fighting against that mechanic "might" be possible, but it will never be fruitful. So I got out my ACME-Brand Pewpew Device version 2.0, and saved up the big boom for our Roadrunner. And all of a sudden, Wile E. Coyote got his bounty.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-01-11 12:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Mnk Mnk Run Whm Geo Brd

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/534222813
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-01-11 12:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
posting a 2nd thought related to the cactuar high evasion during "running mode".

***WARNING***
this is 100% a stoner thought that happened around 1130PM on a Friday night, three dabs and 2 glasses of Malbec deep. Take with a grain of salt, or kief, if you prefer.

I all of a sudden interpreted this ambuscade as SE developers taking inspiration from the Looney Tunes cartoon "Roadrunner". And we're Wile E. Coyote. That damn Roadrunner was impossible to hit with ANYTHING while he ran! Dude even fired a missile at him once, riding it, and the roadrunner outran the missile!

Then I realized....possibly they designed the cactuar to have maximum game available evasion that's not "perfect dodge" during its run phase, and when it stops to hit ya, that's the only time you're supposed to be able to hit it. Fighting against that mechanic "might" be possible, but it will never be fruitful. So I got out my ACME-Brand Pewpew Device version 2.0, and saved up the big boom for our Roadrunner. And all of a sudden, Wile E. Coyote got his bounty.

Maybe the inspiration is from the others FFs cactuars like FFVIII ones, that were very evasive too.

And maybe those cactuars also were inspired by DQ metal slimes.

And normally there are always good reward for hitting and beating those hard to hit foe.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Aburaage
Server: Asura
By Asura.Aburaage 2020-01-13 00:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried doing leaden salute on the cactuar, +8 wiz sam roll, igeo malaise, 3k tp r15 leaden did 70k w/ 2x weather buff. If SCH can time distortion just right, can prob do 99k darkness
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-01-13 16:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Approximately how much HP does the Cactuar have on VD?
By eeternal 2020-01-13 16:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Any idea how to mitigate sand squall? been hitting like a truck even with wilt and scherzo.. been turning around when readying sand trap but still
 Odin.Willster
user: tallica
By Odin.Willster 2020-01-13 16:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Something I noticed, if you have a bard spamming dispel it wasn't using the crap tp move.
Maybe just luck, I don't know. But it always favored moves that put up buffs.
By tyalangan 2020-01-13 16:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »

eeternal said: »
Any idea how to mitigate sand squall? been hitting like a truck even with wilt and scherzo.. been turning around when readying sand trap but still

I believe it’s also reliant on how many adds you kill as his damage goes up. Are you killing him first?
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-01-13 17:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

tyalangan said: »

Much less than I was expecting to hear. My C path Fusenaikyo is still R0 since I'm working on B path first, but I'm interested if a Sekkanoki Konzen Fudo from a C path Fusenaikyo could 1-shot it or at least put it in range of being 1 MB from the GEO to kill it. Unless there's some reduced damage mechanics on the Cactuar I'm unaware of.
 Odin.Willster
By Odin.Willster 2020-01-13 17:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Much less than I was expecting to hear. My C path Fusenaikyo is still R0 since I'm working on B path first, but I'm interested if a Sekkanoki Konzen Fudo from a C path Fusenaikyo could 1-shot it or at least put it in range of being 1 MB from the GEO to kill it. Unless there's some reduced damage mechanics on the Cactuar I'm unaware of.
I tried Sekk/SCing it on SAM and because of its speed and SE I had a very hard time.
By eeternal 2020-01-13 17:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe it’s also reliant on how many adds you kill as his damage goes up. Are you killing him first?

I'm able to consistently one shot cactuar so only 3 adds, and i kill them before the boss, as I'm tanking on sam so I'd prefer not to have many mobs on me..

it seems after spamming dispel him, his attacks are less deadly significantly
 Bismarck.Ringoko
Server: Bismarck
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2020-01-13 17:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Climactic Flourish, Rudra, Reverse Flourish, Rudra kills the cactuar in one go too. Not easy to do but possible.
 Odin.Willster
By Odin.Willster 2020-01-14 00:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm able to consistently one shot cactuar so only 3 adds, and i kill them before the boss, as I'm tanking on sam so I'd prefer not to have many mobs on me..

How are you one shoting it
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-01-14 00:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

One cycle, not one shot, same difference
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-14 00:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

***WARNING***

Maybe the inspiration is from the others FFs cactuars like FFVIII ones, that were very evasive too.

And maybe those cactuars also were inspired by DQ metal slimes.

And normally there are always good reward for hitting and beating those hard to hit foe.

Cactuar were always historically evasive and notorious "trickster" monsters in FF games, ones that would run away shortly after appearing in battle. You ALWAYS had to be quick against them. However, they've always been succeptible to magic, which makes nuke strategy a naturally easy clear. Realistically, you should never be able to hit anything THAT fast, even if you can see him moving. They probably didn't want to go as far as Cactrot Rapido speed for targetting reasons, but the lore behind how much his evasion skyrockets makes perfect sense with the monster they chose.
By eeternal 2020-01-14 14:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Willster said: »

Sorry i meant one cycle by abusing LS
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-01-14 14:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Did a few runs yesterday and I'd say I landed about 20% of my Konzen-ittai > Fudo on the first cycle with Honor March, 2 Mads, Sushi, Aggressor and my 2nd level WS acc set. First few runs went fine, but after that I couldn't land Konzen > Fudo at all. Anyone else experiencing WS Acc issues on first cycle?
 Odin.Willster
By Odin.Willster 2020-01-14 15:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Willster said: »

Sorry i meant one cycle by abusing LS
Ah, got my hopes up haha
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-01-14 20:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Did a few runs yesterday and I'd say I landed about 20% of my Konzen-ittai > Fudo on the first cycle with Honor March, 2 Mads, Sushi, Aggressor and my 2nd level WS acc set. First few runs went fine, but after that I couldn't land Konzen > Fudo at all. Anyone else experiencing WS Acc issues on first cycle?
After some experimenting, I believe inflicting the Cactuar with a "Chainbound" status effect will briefly raise his evasion (not long enough for the window to wear, as I can do whiffed Fudo > landed Fudo and still make the Skillchain in time). Everytime I use Konzen to open, I whiff my first Fudo, but if I Fudo without Konzen, it will land normally.
[+]
 Asura.Bixbite
By Asura.Bixbite 2020-01-14 22:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been selling Ambu Vol1 VD this month as 3 pup 1 cor.
The regular setup have been 5 pup 1 cor.

Ideally fight is over before overdrive ends. So 3-4 minute run total.

1 tank (whm head, valor body)
2-4 dd (full ranger)

Ranger pups do heady, overdrive, fire wind light before engaging.
Tank also does overdrive but and saves heady for the add pop.

Tank deploys on boss. The rest on cactuar then boss.
Eagle eye shots from the puppets don’t miss so it will kill cactuar either before it summons adds or after it summons one group. Tank pup will heady artifice to pick up the adds.
[+]
By tyalangan 2020-01-14 23:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

After some experimenting, I believe inflicting the Cactuar with a "Chainbound" status effect will briefly raise his evasion (not long enough for the window to wear, as I can do whiffed Fudo > landed Fudo and still make the Skillchain in time). Everytime I use Konzen to open, I whiff my first Fudo, but if I Fudo without Konzen, it will land normally.

So, does the Konzen > Fudo do enough damage for a GEO MB to kill?
By SimonSes 2020-01-15 10:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Same SCH, who DUOed VD ambu with Kaggra, now soloed it.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-01-20 07:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Default to the conduit strat!

What have you been using? Tank 4 smn geo, volt strike?

Can it be done with less than 6?

Zerg boss and eventual adds leaving cactuar alone?
 Odin.Willster
By Odin.Willster 2020-01-20 10:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Default to the conduit strat!

What have you been using? Tank 4 smn geo, volt strike?

Can it be done with less than 6?

Zerg boss and eventual adds leaving cactuar alone?
Did it with two smn, geo, cor, tank. It dies in about six to ten seconds...but it spawned so many adds in that time.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-01-20 10:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Should only get 3 adds out (VD) and they won't even attack the tank more than once in ~10 seconds.

The picture got deleted (yay tinypic's death) but only the boss has to die so even a thousand adds don't matter
[+]
 Asura.Aldolol
user: Aldolol
By Asura.Aldolol 2020-01-21 10:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you sure about that, doing melee strat the Ambuscade has never ended if just the boss dies. Maybe keeping the cactuar up does something funky with just the boss needing to die?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-01-21 10:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently not, lol

Quote:
Only the Bozzetto Consul needs to be defeated in order to win. It and a Sabotender Dulce are present initially upon entry.
The Bozzetto Consul will summon additional Antica (varying with difficulty) approximately every 15~120 seconds.

Adds must be defeated in order to win.
[+]
 Shiva.Larrymc
Server: Shiva
user: larrymc
By Shiva.Larrymc 2020-01-21 19:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If anyone is interested, here is a video of pup style.
pup pup pup pup cor cor
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-01-22 06:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If people using melee groups have access to a GEO, COR and SAM, Konzen-Ittai > Leaden Salute from a R0 Death Penalty with Ecliptic Attrition Malaise from an Idris GEO 1-shotted the Cactuar on D dealing 150k damage. I imagine it'd be enough to 1-shot the Cactuar on VD with Blaze of Glory instead of EA if EA isn't enough, but I can't survive 10k needles with my current tri-box setup to find out. The GEO should be capable of MBing to finish off whatever few HP it has if it survives, anyway.

Good way to bypass the Cactuar's annoying evasion spikes for melee groups.

Edit: Just checked, and yeah it will deal enough damage on VD with just Ecliptic Attrition as well.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12