First Page 2 3 ... 222 223 224 ... 426 427 428
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-10-26 12:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The main reason they don't make JRPGs like the ones you remember is because the JRPG itself was a consequence of technical limitations that no longer exist, so there's no reason to make them except to pander to nerds like us.

This is also true though. The turn based SNES JRPG era which is considered the golden age of JRPS's by most fans was hallmarked by blocky sprites and a main story arc that ultimately boiled down to "Get a party and save the world". The technology limitations and 2D map exploration was what made the systems work, and as we transitioned into 3d graphics those systems did not carry over well.

There's also the issue that the classic JRPS genere was very mainstream. How many of the story arcs WEREN'T about a group of protagonists banding together to fight the evil empire and save the world? Kingdoms are good, empires are evil, the hero is mute, dungeons collapse whenever you defeat the boss...etc etc etc. All these well known cliches were done to death and there's only so many times you can repeat the same material before fan start losing interest in it.
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-10-26 13:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Eastern publishers started chasing Western trends in the mid 00s. The classic JRPG saw its decline in numbers then.
[+]
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
Server: Leviathan
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-10-26 13:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Funkworkz said: »
New mouse pad released (JP store only...) for preorder. I believe it was announced last month at TGS https://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/MFF11000098.html

This is available on the US Store too https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/685867/final-fantasy-xi-gaming-mouse-pad
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2021-10-26 13:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
The main reason they don't make JRPGs like the ones you remember is because the JRPG itself was a consequence of technical limitations that no longer exist, so there's no reason to make them except to pander to nerds like us.

EDIT: FWIW Kemco publishes them like monthly and some of them aren't nearly as bad as I expect them to be.

It's a bit more complicated then that, those technical limitations meant graphics could only go so far, forcing the studios to use gameplay elements to compete with each other. Nowadays it's all about who can throw the most money at shiny CGI and shaky cam action sequences, while leaving gameplay mechanics as an afterthought. What we get is very good looking game that is boring and plays terribly.
[+]
By Starbucks 2021-10-26 13:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Vandal Hearts is an incredible game and I have played it many times but I couldn't get into the second one since it was so different.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2021-10-26 14:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Starbucks said: »
Vandal Hearts is an incredible game and I have played it many times but I couldn't get into the second one since it was so different.

Yeah the whole both taking turns simultaneously throws most turn based players off balance at first. It does force people to thinks a bit further.
By Draylo 2021-10-26 14:34:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Boposhopo said: »
Sylph.Funkworkz said: »
New mouse pad released (JP store only...) for preorder. I believe it was announced last month at TGS https://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/MFF11000098.html

This is available on the US Store too https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/685867/final-fantasy-xi-gaming-mouse-pad

Better off getting it here, SE has ridiculous shipping prices:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/181214
 Bahamut.Nikkije
Server: Bahamut
user: nikkije
By Bahamut.Nikkije 2021-10-26 16:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Starbucks said: »

Yeah the whole both taking turns simultaneously throws most turn based players off balance at first. It does force people to thinks a bit further.

I forgot about that, I knew there was something awkward about that game that I wasn't remembering. It definitely took a while to get used to.
By Zubis 2021-10-26 17:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

*looks at the last 10 posts*

For the record, Skies of Arcadia > *
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-10-26 17:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

nikkije said: »
I mean, Disgaea 6 just came out.

Yes of course, and I am glad there are still some here and there. I only meant that it's not like the RPG "golden years" back around SNES/PS1 days. Look at how many RPG's got released on those systems. :)

Not to argue that there were more SRPGs in the 90s and earlier 00s, but this discussion inspires me to call out a few recent/upcoming recommendations for sorta FFT-style strategy RPGs. A running theme is that Switch is a great platform for this kind of stuff.

* Banner of the Maid is a really good Chinese developed game, set "in an alternate French Revolution with fantasy elements". I played it on Switch (August 2020 release), but it's also on PS4, Xbox, and Steam. I highly recommend it for people who dig that 90s PS1-era stuff like FFT, Vandal Hearts, Dragon Force, etc. The main reason I wanted to make this post was to give some attention to this hidden gem!

* Triangle Strategy releases on March 4 from Square Enix, Switch exclusive (for now). Very old-school style SRPG in a similar visual style as Octopath Traveler. The first demo... kinda bored me? But a lot of people seemed to love it, it does have a really nice look, and it seems SE took the debut demo players' comments to heart and actually made changes based on feedback. SE just dropped a brand new trailer today.

* The "Mercenaries" series from indie-ish developer Rideon Japan (and published in NA by Circle Entertainment) is basically an homage to FFT/Tactics Ogre. I find them a little bland, but competently done if you want something to scratch that particular itch, and they've been improving steadily. The original was a Japanese mobile phone game, but they've been on consoles since then. Currently 6 games in the series:
- Mercenaries Saga 1-3 (trilogy collected together in the single Mercenaries Saga Chronicles release on Switch, games 2 and 3 were also on 3DS)
- Mercenaries Wings (Switch worldwide, PS4 in Japan)
- Mercenaries Blade (Switch/PS4 worldwide, also on Steam)
- Mercenaries Rebirth (just released Oct 14 in Japan for Switch/PS4, likely to show up in NA soon)

* Disgaea 6 was mentioned above, just released a few months ago in the US. Another Switch exclusive, fairly high profile in RPG circles. Happens to be in my Switch right now ;)

* Fire Emblem: Three Houses is obviously the biggest name strategy/tactics title in the past couple years, in case anyone missed it. Another Switch exclusive.
By Draylo 2021-10-26 17:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I bought Disgaea 6 and was really sad how ***it is becoming. The story is really meh and the game play was changed for the worse. -
 Bahamut.Nikkije
Server: Bahamut
user: nikkije
By Bahamut.Nikkije 2021-10-27 09:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
nikkije said: »
I mean, Disgaea 6 just came out.

Yes of course, and I am glad there are still some here and there. I only meant that it's not like the RPG "golden years" back around SNES/PS1 days. Look at how many RPG's got released on those systems. :)

Not to argue that there were more SRPGs in the 90s and earlier 00s, but this discussion inspires me to call out a few recent/upcoming recommendations for sorta FFT-style strategy RPGs. A running theme is that Switch is a great platform for this kind of stuff.

* Banner of the Maid is a really good Chinese developed game, set "in an alternate French Revolution with fantasy elements". I played it on Switch (August 2020 release), but it's also on PS4, Xbox, and Steam. I highly recommend it for people who dig that 90s PS1-era stuff like FFT, Vandal Hearts, Dragon Force, etc. The main reason I wanted to make this post was to give some attention to this hidden gem!

* Triangle Strategy releases on March 4 from Square Enix, Switch exclusive (for now). Very old-school style SRPG in a similar visual style as Octopath Traveler. The first demo... kinda bored me? But a lot of people seemed to love it, it does have a really nice look, and it seems SE took the debut demo players' comments to heart and actually made changes based on feedback. SE just dropped a brand new trailer today.

* The "Mercenaries" series from indie-ish developer Rideon Japan (and published in NA by Circle Entertainment) is basically an homage to FFT/Tactics Ogre. I find them a little bland, but competently done if you want something to scratch that particular itch, and they've been improving steadily. The original was a Japanese mobile phone game, but they've been on consoles since then. Currently 6 games in the series:
- Mercenaries Saga 1-3 (trilogy collected together in the single Mercenaries Saga Chronicles release on Switch, games 2 and 3 were also on 3DS)
- Mercenaries Wings (Switch worldwide, PS4 in Japan)
- Mercenaries Blade (Switch/PS4 worldwide, also on Steam)
- Mercenaries Rebirth (just released Oct 14 in Japan for Switch/PS4, likely to show up in NA soon)

* Disgaea 6 was mentioned above, just released a few months ago in the US. Another Switch exclusive, fairly high profile in RPG circles. Happens to be in my Switch right now ;)

* Fire Emblem: Three Houses is obviously the biggest name strategy/tactics title in the past couple years, in case anyone missed it. Another Switch exclusive.

Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I actually haven't even heard of half of those games before. Somebody recommended I try Octopath Traveler as well, I heard that was pretty good and had all of that classic feel.
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-10-27 13:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You could also look at... pretty much most of Atlus' output. The mainline Shin Megami Tensei games, the Devil Survivor games are fun SRPGs, Persona series are well-loved, etc. They even have some great crusty dungeon crawlers like Stranger Journey, Soul Hackers, the Etrian Odyssey series, and more.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-10-27 13:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
For the record, Skies of Arcadia > *

Legends.... Skies of Arcadia Legends!! One of the best gamecube RPG's without question.

[+]
By Draylo 2021-10-27 19:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I loved that game, but I'll never forget it used to give me killer headaches I have no idea why. Wonder why they never did a remaster or remake.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-10-28 08:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So it looks like November's version update is going to be the usual ambuscade and voracious resurgence changes/updates. Apart from the more desirable November campaigns we usually see it doesn't look like anything special is on the table. I was hoping to see the "all jobs update" they promised toward the end of the year this month. But it looks like we won't be getting it until December (unless it's delayed and we don't see it until sometime next year, that could happen too).
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-10-28 08:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Nuh uh! It's a BANGER! They're gonna have all kinds of ***like they promised after saying October had to be bad cause November was going to be amazeballs!
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-10-28 08:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Nuh uh! It's a BANGER! They're gonna have all kinds of ***like the promised after saying october had to be bad cause november was amazballs!

So omen cards, dyna statues, and dark matter campaign then. Ironically, most of the oddysey gear tanked my excitement for dark matter campaigns. Oseem doesn't have nearly as much to offer as he used to.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2021-10-28 08:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't count anything out until we see the actual patch notes. There have been many times they don't mention anything in these "teasers" we get.
[+]
 Sylph.Herbs
Server: Sylph
user: JoeRogan
By Sylph.Herbs 2021-10-28 08:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
We’re also taking a month off from The Voracious Resurgence, but that’s because the team is putting all their efforts into making November a banger. I won’t spoil the details, but I’m positive you’ll all enjoy seeing where the next tale will unfold!

He was specifically talking about the cut-scenes and missions being a "banger", but you knew that.
By SimonSes 2021-10-28 08:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Nuh uh! It's a BANGER! They're gonna have all kinds of ***like they promised after saying October had to be bad cause November was going to be amazeballs!

They said its gonna be a Banger in VR storyline.

Quote:
We’re also taking a month off from The Voracious Resurgence, but that’s because the team is putting all their efforts into making November a banger. I won’t spoil the details, but I’m positive you’ll all enjoy seeing where the next tale will unfold!

Its all about TVR. Month off from VR to make next VR update a banger. If you made false expectation reading it, its your fault for not reading carefully.

Now this following sentence:
Quote:
Only a scant few months remain in 2021. We’re working hard to bring you all the content we promised at the beginning of the year, and I hope you enjoy what we’re got in store this autumn.
suggests that they plan job update system for this year, so if it doesnt come on in December, then you can be upset.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-10-28 09:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
suggests that they plan job update system for this year, so if it doesnt come on in December, then you can be upset.

They planned for Gaol at the end of last year, and then started copping please about Covid and delayed the boss area until beginning of new year. I wouldn't even be upset at this point, since they've set a precedent for this kind of disappointment in the past, so it should be expected that they can't always deliver when they say they will. Would be nice if they get it out by December, but I won't hold my breath.
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2021-10-28 09:42:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Big
November
Game
Expectations
Removed

BANGER
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-10-28 09:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Their definition of "Banger" might be slightly different from ours. If they give us a cool Blue Gessho/Yagudo mask lockstyle though, Banger-worthy.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-10-28 09:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-10-28 10:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
SimonSes said: »

They planned for Gaol at the end of last year, and then started copping please about Covid and delayed the boss area until beginning of new year. I wouldn't even be upset at this point, since they've set a precedent for this kind of disappointment in the past, so it should be expected that they can't always deliver when they say they will. Would be nice if they get it out by December, but I won't hold my breath.

Because there was a Covid? There is a difference when there is actual pandemic that ruins your plans and when in October you say you plan to deliver something this year.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-10-28 10:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Plans fail.
By Zubis 2021-10-28 11:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Their definition of "Banger" might be slightly different from ours.

New firework item confirmed.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-10-28 11:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Plans fail.

I know that, that's why I don't call SE liers when they have real blocker for their plans and I don't understand some people who say SE is failing to deliver their promises without very valid reasons. For now tho they said they plan to deliver something in 2021 and there is only 2 months left, so I would believe they were careful providing such short time plans. So this is something that can set expectations. If there is some valid outside reason again to push those plans for next year, then I won't be upset at all, like I wasn't one year ago. If they just fail to deliver because they couldn't finish it on time, because they have not enough people or something like that, then I will for sure be upset and will try to provide my feedback about it using all the social media I know :)
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-10-28 11:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

No, they're just going to say "Sorry" and you'll all go, "that's ok king. ***on me more please. I pay to be abused".

And we move on as though nothing happened, because nothing did. Same story. Empty promises, hollow apologies, no reach arounds, "same time next month?" "yeah"
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 222 223 224 ... 426 427 428