Ambuscade Volume 1 - March 2017
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2017-03-10 04:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Just run in and aggro, then pop a couple self-target, high enmity JAs and you should be good. Pflug, Valiance and Battuta is enough to get me permanent hate, pretty much.
Thanks, so you don't even touch the main mob then? As in like do an action to it.
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2017-03-10 04:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Konvict said: »
Thanks, so you don't even touch the main mob then? As in like do an action to it.
Right, you don't have to perform an action on them first.
[+]
 Odin.Warusha
user: Serithus
By Odin.Warusha 2017-03-10 05:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

This fight was pretty easy. Guttler, Claustrum, Excal, Mjollnir, Aegis, Kikoku are the more difficult fomors to fight and they can get hairy but ultimately more fun I think.
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2017-03-10 05:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Warusha said: »
YouTube Video Placeholder

This fight was pretty easy. Guttler, Claustrum, Excal, Mjollnir, Aegis, Kikoku are the more difficult fomors to fight and they can get hairy but ultimately more fun I think.

Off-topic but what addon is that displaying buffs by the party frame?
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
Server: Bismarck
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2017-03-10 05:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

What does the tank do to keep the adds from not going all over the place? I did it fine the first time, but now the adds are hitting the mages. Do you aggro as the tank then do an action on the mob and thats it or what? Do you do any action on the adds or don't even touch them. I know there is a way to do it i'm just not sure how.
I run up to range to Flash, then pop Rampart and Warcry. After that, take them to a corner, pop Sentinel, Reprisal and Defender.
[+]
By Staleyx 2017-03-10 06:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

What is that addon do want!!
By DanielH 2017-03-10 07:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Staleyx said: »
What is that addon do want!!

https://github.com/KenshiDRK/Addons/tree/master/PartyBuffs
[+]
 Phoenix.Libbien
Server: Phoenix
user: Alttp
By Phoenix.Libbien 2017-03-10 10:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't had a chance to try this yet, but do the adds get weaker after each kill as well or just the main NM?

Also, can't watch the video atm so was wondering about how often does the eyeball cast before CS? Just wondering what kind of recast a geo/blm would need on stun to handle it.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2017-03-10 10:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Libbien said: »
do the adds get weaker after each kill as well or just the main NM?
No, but they generally die in 3-4 WSs.

Phoenix.Libbien said: »
Also, can't watch the video atm so was wondering about how often does the eyeball cast before CS? Just wondering what kind of recast a geo/blm would need on stun to handle it.
About as often as a normal mob from what I can tell.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-03-10 11:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Just run in and aggro, then pop a couple self-target, high enmity JAs and you should be good. Pflug, Valiance and Battuta is enough to get me permanent hate, pretty much.

Keep in mind that Ambuscade has Legion rules for enmity. You only need to pop your most hate-grabbing JAs and you're golden.

Usually on RUN, I run in, flash, run back to party and hit them all with OFA (for hate). A Liement afterwards and I'm pretty locked on hate for a good bit.
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2017-03-10 12:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I solo'd this on VE on the first try and have wiped every time since -.- I don't understand....is it really just a matter of luck with which fomors you draw?
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2017-03-10 13:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said: »
What does the tank do to keep the adds from not going all over the place? I did it fine the first time, but now the adds are hitting the mages. Do you aggro as the tank then do an action on the mob and thats it or what? Do you do any action on the adds or don't even touch them. I know there is a way to do it i'm just not sure how.
I run up to range to Flash, then pop Rampart and Warcry. After that, take them to a corner, pop Sentinel, Reprisal and Defender.

is the damage from Reprisal a concern with setting off the Ahriman to start messing people up?
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2017-03-10 13:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »
is the damage from Reprisal a concern with setting off the Ahriman to start messing people up?
No. He won't use Chainspell Death until I think 75% HP.
 Leviathan.Bigrougabagel
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Bigrougabagel 2017-03-10 18:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone been successful with a blue light based sleep? Bards are thin right now.
 Asura.Theenabler
By Asura.Theenabler 2017-03-10 20:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried a yawn to open the fight on VD, no ES or BA, full resist from them all. After this our BRD lulla'd and got resisted from about half of the fomors(He tends to land it on them all each time no problem). Can be assumed from this that they build resistance to sleep after each attempt.
By Celther 2017-03-10 22:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

How are people evading excal? his proc rate is so high lol
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2017-03-10 22:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Battuta/Blink paired with enfeebling him with Slow/Elegy/Paralyze.
By Celther 2017-03-10 22:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

fair enough. thanks Llew
 Ragnarok.Terazuma
Server: Ragnarok
user: Terazuma
By Ragnarok.Terazuma 2017-03-10 22:39:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Scherzo works as well
By clearlyamule 2017-03-11 03:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Celther said: »
How are people evading excal? his proc rate is so high lol
Assuming it works like players it's slashing physical dmg based on current hp. So high amounts of physical dmg reductions like pdt II or sentinel or scherzo/ea or using bird jesus etc should help and quickly lowering it's hp
 Asura.Taberif
user: Taberif
By Asura.Taberif 2017-03-12 10:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

we've been rolling shock squall on these and not even taking a bard

smn with geo cor buffs can 1shot the fomors
By Davorin 2017-03-12 12:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Taberif said: »
we've been rolling shock squall on these and not even taking a bard

smn with geo cor buffs can 1shot the fomors

Maybe your post is more intuitive than I'm able to grasp (I don't play SMN), but could you provide any sort of context? Maybe there are some assumptions to be made, e.g., mastered SMN with a Nirvana, equally geared GEO, VD difficulty, etc. That said, Ambuscade is content for the majority of the player-base, so it'd be nice to have some context.
 Sylph.Subadai
Server: Sylph
user: Subadai
By Sylph.Subadai 2017-03-12 16:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Any idea what might cause Excal's enlight to go sky-high? One time he hit me for 0 with additional affect of 2980, lol.
 Shiva.Berzerk
Server: Shiva
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2017-03-12 18:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Subadai said: »
Any idea what might cause Excal's enlight to go sky-high? One time he hit me for 0 with additional affect of 2980, lol.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Excalibur
Additional Effect
Deals Slashing Damage damage equal to 25% of the wielder's current HP. This displays as an "Additional Effect" line in the in-game chat log.
This amount is subject to Modifiers.
 Sylph.Ice
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2017-03-12 18:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Excalibur_(Level_75)
Additional Effect: Damage varies with HP.
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2017-03-12 19:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Ice said: »

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Excalibur_(Level_75)
Additional Effect: Damage varies with HP.

excal hit our whm once for 20k+ add effect.
 Sylph.Subadai
By Sylph.Subadai 2017-03-12 20:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If it were based solely on his HP then wouldn't I have been one-shotted every time? Must be some other mechanic that ramps up the damage. Maybe somehow his HP got increased. Not sure, but I do know that on the next few runs we concentrated on getting him killed first and didn't encounter the problem again. Also, mayyybe Reprisal was down due to recast (due to being outside the haste bubble or some other stupidity on my part) and I didn't block the killing blow. I was thinking that maybe it's like iron giants where if you block their melee you don't suffer additional effects like stun or whatever.
By clearlyamule 2017-03-12 21:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If it were based solely on his HP then wouldn't I have been one-shotted every time? Must be some other mechanic that ramps up the damage. Maybe somehow his HP got increased. Not sure, but I do know that on the next few runs we concentrated on getting him killed first and didn't encounter the problem again. Also, mayyybe Reprisal was down due to recast (due to being outside the haste bubble or some other stupidity on my part) and I didn't block the killing blow. I was thinking that maybe it's like iron giants where if you block their melee you don't suffer additional effects like stun or whatever.
It's physical slashing dmg and effected by all the things that effect that. Pop sentinel and the dmg will go way down
By kishr 2017-03-12 22:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi,
Question,
Seen jp groups recruiting nin as tanks, I'll try it a hr and give my feedback but, that excal add effect go through shadows?

As for my 2 cents on my experiences,
Geo/blm can es sleepga np on N & D
Xarc S is the KI spot, West of HP, ghosts and mini floating skulls.
Geo start with es sleepga pld control eye, cor shoot 1 formor and it runs to pld in corner.
Save excal for last, if it kills pld at start its a wipe.
Kill list based on job Def type.
 Sylph.Subadai
By Sylph.Subadai 2017-03-13 00:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
It's physical slashing dmg and effected by all the things that effect that. Pop sentinel and the dmg will go way down
That makes sense, I use Sentinel at the beginning, and the times we had no problem we killed Excal first.