Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 96 97 98 ... 141 142 143
By Chimerawizard 2020-02-05 10:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I don't know that I would put prosilio belt +1 in a Black Halo set, especially since the big damage comes from the 50% bonus from Maxentius on all hits. It completely negates the bonus from Sherida earring. metalsinger belt or even luminary sash would be good.

I have to say, the -5% DA on Prosilio really turns me off in general.

I think the idea is that it has a lot of attack for a job that doesn't have much, and you're running Temper II so pushing a 33~% TA rate, which is what you would want to force on a Black Halo for those beefy numbers. The "safe" choice is Metalsinger for sure. Another one of those scenarios where "it's sooo close", it comes down to preference based on factors (which I just mentioned above =P)

Was just pointing out that the set has +5 DA -5 DA, for +0% total DA. In that case, if you want Prosilio, then I'd say ishvara earring or something else would be a better choice. I guess outside of WSD, Sherida earring does have the +5 STR, but Snotra earring, malignance earring have higher MND, which is 70% on the WS.

Edit: Also moonshade earring is probably the right answer.
I'd think prosilio belt +1 + regal earring + moonshade earring best.

edit: i paged, guess I gotta find the quote. . . and the quote was edited to mention moonshade. my post is worthless.
By Torzak 2020-02-05 10:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM AE set and that one looks super duper swee. Can't tell you how many Levante Daggers i've tossed over the years and probably won't ever get a capped Malevolence, but I want to try that one something :D

You'll probably have better luck with Tauret/Thibron. I only ever off-hand Levante to Croc if I'm targeting Wind Damage specifically for single target (enspell).
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-02-05 10:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Great points. I just checked my set and I am Moonshade/Regal earring, with Metalsinger as well. A few people have mentioned the Prosillio vs Metalsinger thing and I chose to stick with the latter for the exact -5% DA reason you mentioned, though I could see the argument for needing more attack for Black Halo, since Maxentius does not get any native STR/Attack and the job itself is starved for attack without buffs. It's not like Naegling where you get that attack bonus, so you argue the attack is more beneficial in this set rather than SB. All good points shadow, making me re-think my sets now... Maybe i'll add toggle to my Black Halo set to just swap to Prosillio over Metalsinger and keep my SB set the same.

ps: i havent made a RDM AE set and that one looks super duper swee. Can't tell you how many Levante Daggers i've tossed over the years and probably won't ever get a capped Malevolence, but I want to try that one something :D

Yeah, I was thinking primarily about black halo, and how Maxentius interacts with it. I totally get why people use Prosilio on Savage Blade, and the bonus from Naegling is.. meh for the extra hits.

My only real gripe is I see a lot of sets with Prosilio and other sources of +DA and it cancels them out. The asuran set does that too, but I didn't bring it up because the Mache Earrings are probably in there because rdm needs the acc.

I will say... if you're using Black Halo, you are probably buffed for it, and the atk from Prosilio is not necessary. It really only shines when you have the proper buffs.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-02-05 10:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Torzak said: »
RDM AE set and that one looks super duper swee. Can't tell you how many Levante Daggers i've tossed over the years and probably won't ever get a capped Malevolence, but I want to try that one something :D

You'll probably have better luck with Tauret/Thibron. I only ever off-hand Levante to Croc if I'm targeting Wind Damage specifically for single target (enspell).

Some people farm Omen and stuff with AE, this set would be for something like that, to get the most out of your AEs.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-02-05 10:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The asuran set does that too, but I didn't bring it up because the Mache Earrings are probably in there because rdm needs the acc.

Well Asuran fists is 8 hits, so literally any source of multiattack is wasted since you can't exceed the cap.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-02-05 10:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The asuran set does that too, but I didn't bring it up because the Mache Earrings are probably in there because rdm needs the acc.

Well Asuran fists is 8 hits, so literally any source of multiattack is wasted since you can't exceed the cap.

There is that... :D. I forgot about that. I don't actually play MNK or PUP.
By Torzak 2020-02-05 10:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people farm Omen and stuff with AE, this set would be for something like that, to get the most out of your AEs.

You're going to get more out of your AEs using Tauret/Thibron. Go try it.
 Asura.Nuance
Server: Asura
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2020-02-05 10:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I never publicly published the node on its own thread as I generally used it for personal use and to show friends. I was unaware it spread out to more and more people from there.

I don’t go into any detail about any of the sets like why this instead is of this because again it was originally personal use as I like a visual aid that represents the gear I own that’s in my lua or gear I’d like to have for certain things.

The enspell2 set is a special set up for a master trial where multi attack is probably gonna just end up getting you killed and it’s purpose is to maximize the output of enspell2 dmg on that first hit.

There’s only 2 things I lack in that node myself and it’s the crown and malignance feet. As much as I would like to utilize an awesome Merlinic head, the crown is a multi use good piece of gear for both rdm and smn. Anytime my ocd is ok with me not having to have the tip top best ***for x y or z I take it up on it.

RDM consumes the majority of my inventory. I have sets upon sets upon sets a lot of which I don’t even use but if the need arises by god I have it available for use.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-02-05 10:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nuance said: »
RDM consumes the majority of my inventory. I have sets upon sets upon sets a lot of which I don’t even use but if the need arises by god I have it available for use.

Would you say your sets are...... nuanced? :P
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-02-05 11:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I just checked my set and I am Moonshade/Regal earring, with Metalsinger as well. A few people have mentioned the Prosillio vs Metalsinger thing and I chose to stick with the latter for the exact -5% DA reason you mentioned

But... you have no DA% in the first place in that set. So why would you bother with -5%DA when it would be at 0% anyway? XD

Another option is Windbuffet belt +1. Metalsinger is meh. Black Halo is only 30% STR.
 Asura.Elizabet
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-02-05 11:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Would you say your sets are...... nuanced? :P

DAD!?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-02-05 11:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
But... you have no DA% in the first place in that set. So why would you bother with -5%DA when it would be at 0% anyway? XD

Qultada. Buffs exist
By SimonSes 2020-02-05 11:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Qultada.

Meh. Where are you using Black Halo on RDM with trusts?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-02-05 12:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to multistep on Apex mobs when I was soloing, to change it up from Sword. Doesn't require Death Blossom or Empyreal Arrow (or those beryllium arrows), and hitting that last step on sword 5-step was harder than the 4-step fragmentation I was doing.
By SimonSes 2020-02-05 12:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to multistep on Apex mobs when I was soloing, to change it up from Sword. Doesn't require Death Blossom or Empyreal Arrow (or those beryllium arrows), and hitting that last step on sword 5-step was harder than the 4-step fragmentation I was doing.

Ok then you should say you gear for some specific niche scenario (Solo CPing on RDM on Apex is imo niche). That being said its hard to believe, that Neagling attac bonus wouldnt easily beat Maxientus for that scenario. You could do RedLotus > Flat > Savage > CDC. Naegling attack bonus on Savage and CDC and the fact that you are doing light and double light, instead on lower tier skillchains, should easily beat that club 4step.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-02-05 12:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Qultada. Buffs exist
qultada won't even use fighter's for a rdm
 Bismarck.Ringoko
Server: Bismarck
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2020-02-05 12:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »

Qultada. Buffs exist

And he purposely interrupts my skill chains! >:[
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-02-05 13:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Qultada. Buffs exist

I never knew this. Thought he always started with Chaos/Fighters and will give you evokers when your MP is low or hunters when acc is low? I use him every fight and never once paid attention to what rolls he was actually using

Naegling attack bonus on Savage and CDC and the fact that you are doing light and double light, instead on lower tier skillchains, should easily beat that club 4step.

Fair point, I never tinkered with the lower WS, I just think Black Halo is cool WS to mess around with. Sure it's niche, but options.
By FaeQueenCory 2020-02-05 13:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Qultada. Buffs exist
He has for me on RDM always? Chaos and Fighters.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-02-05 13:03:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I've only ever gotten chaos/evoker's on any job with native MP or when a trust gets anywhere near 70%
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-02-05 13:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Damnit, trusts suck so bad unless you are a pure DD!

I was farming cards last omen campaign and it was practically impossible to get Ulmia to use anything other than ballads too. Even when everyone was @90%+ MP. I did figure out, that if I didn't summon a whm last in my trust order, she did that less often though.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-02-05 13:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Just tried it in Tenzen battlefield. He started with Chaos/Evokers (i spent MP prebuffing) and then he overwrote my Chaos with Fighters.

I admit I have never paid attention to which specific rolls he was using per job since I use him all the time across all jobs and I assumed it was the same regardless of job, but rather based on conditions. Sylvie is the one I know that will change her buffs based on YOUR job.

Damnit, trusts suck so bad unless you are a pure DD!

I was farming cards last omen campaign and it was practically impossible to get Ulmia to use anything other than ballads too. Even when everyone was @90%+ MP. I did figure out, that if I didn't summon a whm last in my trust order, she did that less often though.

Were you on RDM? Refreshing the trusts helps them keep a high pool and lowers likelihood of them reverting to Ballads. They will do the same thing with Paeons too if you all take aoe damage, which is annoying.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-02-05 13:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I was on rdm. I could not get Ulmia to March unless I had my whm trust @100%mp. As soon as my whm trust started casting spells, she would switch to double ballad.. it was very frustrating.

At one point, I think qultada died, and when I summoned him last, then she started letting marches stay on until my whm was lower on MPP.
By SimonSes 2020-02-05 13:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I was on rdm. I could not get Ulmia to March unless I had my whm trust @100%mp. As soon as my whm trust started casting spells, she would switch to double ballad.. it was very frustrating.

At one point, I think qultada died, and when I summoned him last, then she started letting marches stay on until my whm was lower on MPP.

What most people do is use 2 brds and rdm. That way you should have at least one march and haste2 on you :P
 Asura.Vanixim
By Asura.Vanixim 2020-02-05 13:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Tp sets on there is a wip and some sets are missing still

Hey Nuance, thank you for sharing your node (albeit inadvertently); once I saw your tank set, I knew you'd be the front-runner for RDM min-maxers everywhere.

Had a question: I noticed that on one of your FC sets, you have a FC set that considers Crocea Mors in the first slot; do you mind sharing the script for how that would work? I assume based on the weapon and sub you have equipped, the LUA draws from different FC sets. Makes sense, because then you'd be able to cast in full DT.

Thanks in advance.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-02-05 13:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I did try that for a while and my songs ended up being mad, paeon, ballad x2 for the majority of the runs.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-02-05 13:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM is unique with trusts, you have to play with them to see neat stuff they can do in tandem.

Example:
You can haste Zeid and summon him with Amchuchu to have basically capped FC/Haste stuns to avoid nasty TP moves (Rua highlighted this in one of his videos =P).
You can HasteII AAHM and he can hold a lot of monsters without taking as much as a scratch, assuming they can't strip shadows or something (TenzenVD etc). Migawari he can also fulltime and will have capped Utsusemi timers, and with an enspell tp build on RDM, you'll never pull hate from his Yonin shenanigans. I have never tried him on something like Odin, but he might work if he can't land a hit to feed it tp.

I really wish we could cast Temper II on others, that would be really fun.
By FaeQueenCory 2020-02-05 13:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

then he overwrote my Chaos with Fighters.
I noticed this with when I've used him for Corsair's roll and not notice Dedication wears off, but the reason he did that is because he's trying to overwrite the "unnecessary" Evoker's roll... but roll mechanics.
If there's more time, he'll then start rolling for Chaos again when he gets a chance.
(Also: if he rolls 11s, he'll keep rolling... regardless if his other buff was already an 11....)
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-02-05 15:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

but he might work if he can't land a hit to feed it tp.

Accuracy floor is 20%, so he will feed him TP even with floored acc.
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2020-02-05 17:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vanixim said: »
Tp sets on there is a wip and some sets are missing still

Hey Nuance, thank you for sharing your node (albeit inadvertently); once I saw your tank set, I knew you'd be the front-runner for RDM min-maxers everywhere.

Had a question: I noticed that on one of your FC sets, you have a FC set that considers Crocea Mors in the first slot; do you mind sharing the script for how that would work? I assume based on the weapon and sub you have equipped, the LUA draws from different FC sets. Makes sense, because then you'd be able to cast in full DT.

Thanks in advance.

I can when I’m home from work yeah.
First Page 2 3 ... 96 97 98 ... 141 142 143