WHM DD
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Kusare
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2020-09-23 08:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

hold hate outside of 18 yalms or so and they won't pulse.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-09-23 15:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
I thought Wall exists only for same WS used or same element on spell. Never heard of Wall for same element on WS.

Interesting point. I also wasn't aware of an elemental WS "wall", but see these posts from Minimuse and Celebrindal in the BLM forum:

Bahamut.Minimuse said: »
I love helping other groups and LSes, but not in a situation where the leader is lacking the support for melee and knowledge of battle mechanics. He'll ask all CORs to Leaden Salute a Dynamis boss down. The leader doesn't understand that this method will dramatically lower the damage of an R15 Death Penalty Cor from 90k to 5k. So you have 2 poorly geared roll CORs who at best can hit 10-20k Leaden Salutes mitigating everyone's Leaden Salutes to 5k and below. If I switch to Wildfire, I get evil stares for not following leader protocol

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
-the resist wall from repetitive usage of the same element that again only affects Black Mages. 6 SMNs can use the same Bloodpact in a row without reduction in damage as they are repeated; 8 Corsairs can use Leaden Salute in a 4 second span, again they all land for their max damage (outside of ONE new mechanic only on a number of mobs less than fingers you have). But 3 Black Mages use 4 Thunder based spells in succession, the last 2 hit for less than they would independently.

Minimuse mentions it again in a fairly recent post in COR forum:
Bahamut.Minimuse said: »
Dyna Bosses
Any Dyna Boss will need a variety of ws from all who can melee including the support due to the game mechanics involved. If you are going in with a RNG team, you may be low on GEO, BRD or WHM to support melee. This is when you stagger damage between Wildfire and Leaden Salute at a distance to avoid lowering Leaden Salute damage to 5k.

So, is this a Dyna wave 3 boss only mechanic that adds a "nuke" wall effect for same element damage from elemental WS? Any other mobs have this mechanic?

Do same element nukes and elemental WS affect each other (or is WS-WS a separate thing from elemental nukes)? For example: does a BLM nuking fire on these mobs nerf a RNG's Wildfire damage?
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-09-23 15:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a "same weaponskill in a row" mechanic in dynamis rather than a "same element in a row" mechanic. Doing 80% Leaden will heavily nerf damage because it's all a single WS, not because you're doing darkness over and over again.
[+]
 Asura.Pibbles
By Asura.Pibbles 2020-10-04 02:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

For dual wield WHM What do you consider the best off-hand weapon for TP gain?

Sindri? Blurred Rod +1? Izcalli?
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-10-04 07:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget Cath Palug Hammer.
Since you're asking for TP gain and not simply "best offhand" then I'm not sure what would win but possibly Izcalli because it pairs a decent amount of multiattack (4% TA) with STP+7?

Cath Palug has lower delay.

Of course I'm guessing you're not considering Kraken Club for whatever reason, but you know that of course would be the best for pure TP gain, right?
VIP
By Lili 2020-10-04 08:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Izcalli is 3TA, not 4.

My experience:

you basically have two scenarios depending of what you have in mainhand: Yagrush (Mythic AM3), or Maxentius/Tishtrya

- Izcalli: best overall because it plays nice with both AM3 and non-mythic scenarios.
- Sindri: best for non-Yagrush. The 77 accuracy on it is fantastic for when you need it and helps tons with off-hand WS hits, and the 9 DA is a very nice chunk.
- Cath Palug: 7 DA, lower delay, magey stats, 7 Fast Cast (in fact, highest fastcast club outside of augments): best offhand for inventory sanity, not maximum dps but it helps keep up the magey duties while clubbing things on the head. Plus it makes cat sounds.
- Blurred Rod: never played with this one, but going by how Tamaxchi with OaT augment works, I'd put it as a decent 2nd option for all scenarios. Not sure it's worth the price tho.
- Tishtrya: solid dmg, very low delay, high skill, and 10 Store TP. Probably best offhand for Yagrush, plays very nicely with AM3. Kinda expensive/involved to get tho lol.
 Phoenix.Gennss
Server: Phoenix
user: gennss
By Phoenix.Gennss 2020-10-05 08:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lili said: »
Izcalli is 3TA, not 4.

My experience:

you basically have two scenarios depending of what you have in mainhand: Yagrush (Mythic AM3), or Maxentius/Tishtrya

- Izcalli: best overall because it plays nice with both AM3 and non-mythic scenarios.
- Sindri: best for non-Yagrush. The 77 accuracy on it is fantastic for when you need it and helps tons with off-hand WS hits, and the 9 DA is a very nice chunk.
- Cath Palug: 7 DA, lower delay, magey stats, 7 Fast Cast (in fact, highest fastcast club outside of augments): best offhand for inventory sanity, not maximum dps but it helps keep up the magey duties while clubbing things on the head. Plus it makes cat sounds.
- Blurred Rod: never played with this one, but going by how Tamaxchi with OaT augment works, I'd put it as a decent 2nd option for all scenarios. Not sure it's worth the price tho.
- Tishtrya: solid dmg, very low delay, high skill, and 10 Store TP. Probably best offhand for Yagrush, plays very nicely with AM3. Kinda expensive/involved to get tho lol.

Hmm so Mjollnir and Gambanteinn not worth mainhand?
By Nariont 2020-10-05 09:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

the mp sustain on relics alright and the WS itself isnt too bad with all the augments to it, but BH will perform better and even MB wont do too bad+full mp return every ws, plus the better tp gain/aoe na benefit yag provides. I dont think empy has ever been good as a weapon, only saw some relevance once it got cursna applied to it
[+]
 Asura.Mims
user: Ginza
By Asura.Mims 2020-10-05 10:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Mjollnir is considerably more flexible than other weapons, don't count it out.
Maxentius and Yagrush shine when spamming Black Halo and/or Mystic Boon. Very strong when multiple people are WSing and skillchain damage goes out the window.
Mjollnir on the other hand, SCs very well. Remember that while most jobs have all kinds of options when it comes to level 3 skillchain properties, WHM only has 2 choices. Randgrith, or Realmrazer with Tishtriya. Between the two I personally find Mjollnir and Randgrith more appealing than Tishtriya and Realmrazer.
Either way, they both produce strong SC damage, enough to outpace Maxentius or Yagrush on the condition that you are counting SC damage.

As for the other factors Mjollnir has nice extras.
60 Attack is nothing to sneeze at for Whm, and Aftermath plus the status effect is basically +52 accuracy, 32 of which counts toward the whole group. The MP return effect is generally less MP over time than the 5mp/tic refresh aftermath, but neither are game breaking considering that a melee Whm always has access to Mystic Boon. Neat to have, but minor. Finally the triple damage procs are kinda neat too.

I use my R15 Mjollnir quite a bit. Its flexibility, SC options, and extras keep it relevant amid stiff competition. Also the new augmented Magesmasher +1 is a great offhand for Mjollnir, as the TP bonus club does nothing for Randgrith.

As for Gambanteinn, the only reason to make it is the cursna buff. Unfortuanately Dagan is pretty much redundant with all of Whm's other options. If it removed status effects like Myrkr did maybe things would be different, but as it is, dead WS dead weapon.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-10-05 11:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

kraken club and Ukaldi would be interesting for WHM, but I don't know how viable they would be on meaningful content, even if whm were to get uber buffs.

As with every other job that utilizes Kclub or TPBonus offhand, if your accuracy needs are met for offhand, they are going to be bis.

If not though, depending on what WS you're using I see it like this.

Hexastrike: main Yagrush, sub Izcalli/Maxentius
Black Halo: main Maxentius, sub Izcalli/Cath Palug hammer/Sindri
Black Halo: main Yagrush, sub Magesmasher +1
Flash Nova: main Daybreak, sub Magesmasher +1/Maxentius
[+]
 Asura.Mims
By Asura.Mims 2020-10-05 11:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Daybreak's light magic affinity property works in the offhand, which opens options up a bit.
Better than Daybreak / Magesmasher for instance, is Yagrush / Daybreak, or Asclepius(B) / Daybreak.
Also its worth noting that Seraph Strike scales higher with TP. If you happen to have an excess of TP for whatever reason, or happen to be using Tishtriya / Daybreak, Seraph Strike may beat Flash nova.

There are a ton of options for weapons these days, at this point I want better WS options in the armor slots.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-10-05 11:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I kind of figured Daybreak always gets main handed when used to have access to Dispelga, but you're right.

Edit: It's been so long since I actually worked on my whm DD, I'm kind of out of practice.
 Asura.Pibbles
By Asura.Pibbles 2020-10-05 13:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, it appears that the CP hammer doesn't have any magic accuracy skill on it, which means its only effective as an offhand in any situation where macc is required
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-10-05 14:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pibbles said: »
Interesting, it appears that the CP hammer doesn't have any magic accuracy skill on it, which means its only effective as an offhand in any situation where macc is required

I believe that is a localization error into english. The BG wiki page says it has +242 Magic accuracy skill in JP.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2020-10-05 15:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I think it's wrong[1] to play WHM DD with the basic ideas of all other DDs. Sure, we can contribute a great amount of damage, but we're still there to cure people, not to top the parse.

I'm strongly in favor of Mystic Boon because
- while not best, it still does great damage
- tops your MP everytime, which lets you a) spam high tier cures for constant cureskin, even Full Cure (which is glorious, Full Cure on tank > Mystic Boon, try it) b) completely disregard any need for refresh buffs or gear
- doesn't interrupt skillchains, which prevents you from accidentally closing and lets other DDs do so instead, for much more damage due to various bonuses that real DDs get over us

Now, a few more thoughts, in no particular order:
- Mjollnir's Afterglow is a meager +15 acc/racc, and most DDs will have their own aftermath that overwrites it anyway, making it entirely moot
- Mjollnir's Refresh+En-refresh is certainly nice but absolutely pales against Mystic Boon
- Mjollnir's Attack on it is very nice indeed, but I don't think it compensates in any way for the +50% specific wsdmg on YagrushMysticBoon or MaxentiusBlackHalo
- Gamba is indeed sucky. It also looks ugly. Boo.
- I strongly feel that Yagrush is the best mainhand not because DPS but because it's the best weapon to keep whm duties up
- we all know how much of a game changer aoe -nas are. Unless it's a fight where they're not needed - but how common are those in 2020?
- Yagrush is also bis macc
- and the +50% Mystic Boon damage does wonders to close the gap with other weapons - turns a 20k boon into 30k
- and Mythic AM3 closes the gap even further
- basically Yag gives you something for all the magey things that you need to be doing while meleeing, while keeping your DPS at 80-90%[2] of our full potential
- this not to say Mjollnir is bad: if you have it, it's certainly a valid option. But I would definitely not go out of my way to make it with the goal of swinging it at mobs.

Some more thoughts:
- IF (and it's a very big if) interrupting skillchains is nbd, and whm duties are light... then I really doubt anything is going to beat Black Halo spam, with the possible exception of...

Asura.Mims said: »
Daybreak's light magic affinity property works in the offhand, which opens options up a bit.

- ...Seraph Strike/Flash Nova when there's magic buffs going on and the mob is weak to/not strong against Light, with Daybreak offhand. I completely derp'd that it exists, and it's an excellent offhand for the same reasons as the cat hammer - magey stats (it even has Refresh on it!)
- then again, if WHM duties are so light that you can sit there and spam Black Halo as needed, WHM is probably not needed in the first place and another more DPS-y job can take its place while healing is done by, dunno, the GEO. But that's another argument entirely and an entirely different scope.

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
Black Halo: main Maxentius, sub Izcalli/Cath Palug hammer/Sindri
Black Halo: main Yagrush, sub Magesmasher +1
Flash Nova: main Daybreak, sub Magesmasher +1/Maxentius

- I feel like Magemasher +1 is going to be great on MaxentiusBlackHalo too. Remember that Maxentius' wsdmg is a separate term, so the +15% on MM becomes +22.5% first hit damage (a bit less, but not much, we don't get much WSD to begin with). It's a big chunk, especially on a WS like Black Halo. Not sure how it would do on Yagrush with AM3 up, compared to other options, tho.
- Daybreak mainhand for Flash Nova/Seraph Strike spam, Dispelga as needed, and Mystic Boon to top MP up. I can see this being great when you need to dispel groups of mobs.
- I'm out of thoughts.

[1] YMMV according to the situation ofc, I have done an SR where the DDs were me and the cor and it was a lot of funsies.
[2] this number courtesy of my proctologist
[+]
By paladinepsot 2020-10-06 03:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Not looking at the Mjollnir in the mainhand, though mainhanding Daybreak and offhanding Septopic +1 would add 46 more MAB, here's my target set for Seraph Strike:

ItemSet 375880

349 MAB
76 Light Elemental MAB

Should I use a shiva ring in place of the Epaminondas?
 Asura.Mims
By Asura.Mims 2020-10-06 12:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I think it's wrong[1] to play WHM DD with the basic ideas of all other DDs. Sure, we can contribute a great amount of damage, but we're still there to cure people, not to top the parse.
Who says a DD Whm isn't curing? The idea that DD Whms aren't curing is a fallacy that needs to stop. The only people who perpetuate this myth are anti-melee purists who hate fun. Don't feed the trolls.

I'm strongly in favor of Mystic Boon because...
Mystic Boon is a good WS on an R15 Yagrush, sure.
Its still useful on other weapons to refill MP. Personally my comfort level is to Mystic Boon when I hit around the 50% MP mark, which generally leaves plenty of room for other WS. In general I can comfortably perform around 5 damage oriented WS off for every MP oriented Mystic Boon. Obviously circumstances are going to vary as to how much Mystic Boon is needed vs other WS.
Even if I'm working around Full Cure, I have plenty of room to use other weapon skills. Yes, I have to make sure I have TP to Mystic Boon immediately after I cast Full Cure, no that does not necessitate MYSTIC BOON ONRY! Even in the best of fast cast and haste circumstances, Full cure has such a long recast that it cannot be spammed.
As for whether SCs are somehow detrimental, I often find myself fighting mobs solo in DynaD, for instance. Black Halo to Hexa Strike to Randgrith is a double light SC and an easy dead mob. Mjollnir is great for that sort of thing. It is a weapon that shines when you are flexibly using 4+ different weapon skills as opposed to spamming one single WS all the time.

I am not saying that Mjollnir > All. I use mine quite a bit. I also use Yagrush, Asclepius, Maxentius, and Daybreak.

As to some of your other comments:
Mjollnir's Afterglow is a meager +15 acc/racc, and most DDs will have their own aftermath that overwrites it anyway, making it entirely moot
You clearly do not know how Afermath/Afterglow works.
- Mjollnir's Refresh+En-refresh is certainly nice but absolutely pales against Mystic Boon
The MP return effect is generally less MP over time than the 5mp/tic refresh aftermath, but neither are game breaking considering that a melee Whm always has access to Mystic Boon. Neat to have, but minor.
Making Mjollnir for the MP return is a noob trap, and I have never claimed anything otherwise.
- Mjollnir's Attack on it is very nice indeed, but I don't think it compensates in any way for the +50% specific wsdmg on YagrushMysticBoon or MaxentiusBlackHalo
As I keep repeating, Mjollnir is for flexibily using multiple different WS. If you want to focus on one specific WS, by all means use a different weapon.
- I strongly feel that Yagrush is the best mainhand not because DPS but because it's the best weapon to keep whm duties up
- we all know how much of a game changer aoe -nas are. Unless it's a fight where they're not needed - but how common are those in 2020?
You are entitled to your opinion, and I am of the opinion that many Whms get tunnel vision after getting Yagrush. It sounds like you are one of those Whms.
I played melee Whm for a long time before I finished my Yagrush. For the record, no, I did not and do not play melee exclusively.
I got used to primarily meleeing in Afflatus Misery in a very different playstyle compared to Afflatus Solace; Cura and Curagas over single target cures, stance swapping for Full Cures and Barspells, and a huge focus on Esuna.
Esuna is a fantastic melee Whm spell.
It's so good that for maybe two years my Linkshell swore that I had a Yagrush, despite my repeatedly reminding them that I actually did not.
Is Esuna a replacement for Yagrush?
No.
Is Yagrush a replacement for Esuna?
Also no.

Yagrush wins when your PT members are getting single target status effects that you are not, but when you are getting the same debuffs that your PT members are, misery Esuna can easily be better than Yagrush. I'm not joking, and Esuna only gets better with an Asclepius. Clearing 5 debuffs off your entire party in one cast that you don't even have to spend time targeting is huge.
And the best part?
Asclepius works in the offhand.
If you have a seething hatred of all things debuff, you can dual wield your Yagrush and an Asclepius, or even dual wield 2 Asclepius to clear an entire Impact worth of status effects in one shot.

Inevitably, I'm gonna get the "BUT YOU HAVE TO GET DEBUFFED TO USE ESUNA" complaints, people claiming that silence or paralyze or terror or whatever else somehow invalidate the spell. The answer to those idiots is the same as it always has been:
If you are fighting something that applies crippling status effects, don't melee it as a Whm. Its that simple.

As for the other stuff, its mostly not worth talking about.
I guess an item to close with would be this Q&A:
Is Mjollnir worth making over other options?
The broad answer is no. The most damage for the least gil is going to be Maxentius. Yagrush and Asclepius both add utility to the Whm job that other weapons do not. Are you the Whm who has everything already and wants a new toy to play around with? Sure, go ahead and make a Mjollnir, its fun. It's far from a priority, but it is fun.
[+]
 Asura.Mims
By Asura.Mims 2020-10-06 12:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

paladinepsot said: »
No, go ahead and keep Epaminondas in your set, it will easily crush the 3 MAB on a Shiva's ring. The 9 INT on the Shiva's does basically nothing for any elemental club WS.
As for the -Store TP on Epa ring, thats more for 2handers to worry about, and even then is not an automatic deal-breaker.
VIP
By Lili 2020-10-06 14:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

[cut]

Nope, not doing this, you're way too antagonizing.

Is Mjollnir worth making over other options?
The broad answer is no. The most damage for the least gil is going to be Maxentius. Yagrush and Asclepius both add utility to the Whm job that other weapons do not. Are you the Whm who has everything already and wants a new toy to play around with? Sure, go ahead and make a Mjollnir, its fun. It's far from a priority, but it is fun.

But I do agree with this.

paladinepsot said: »

With 349 MAB in the rest of the set, 5% wsd would be the same as adding 17(.5) more mab in that slot. So no, keep epa.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2020-10-06 16:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Esuna is a fantastic melee Whm spell.

+1 for this and I don't even play anymore, lol

Esuna is so underrated. Yes you play a riskier play style by taking advantage of Esuna but if you play it right, and using your Cura's right as well, you can extend the life of your MP pool for so much longer while contributing some skill chain opportunities / damage to the group. Curas are essentially free MP spells, or very very low MP cost for the heal they give you.
[+]
By geigei 2020-10-06 22:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You nubs keep saying yagrush not needed...esuna is good, go play thf or something.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2020-10-07 06:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
You nubs keep saying yagrush not needed...esuna is good, go play thf or something.

Like anything else in XI, "***is situational". Pick the right tool for the right job. Yagrush will keep the WHM safe while being able to remove party wide effects. Esuna will enable the WHM to remove more enfeebles per cast and thus allow the WHM to remove debilitating effects faster - also unless things changed Esuna still remains the only way to cure the Zombie effect (dunno if relevant or not though). I dunno what current end game is like right now but back in my prime, but Auras were a huge thing and Esuna allowed you to say dispel both the Evasion Down Aura and hit the Defense Down Debuff so you didn't have to "hope" you hit the correct effect with Erase at a distance.

Again, pick the right tool for the right job. Don't use Misery + Esuna if the target has many super debilitating effects such as Silence, Petrify, etc. that can permanently take you out of action. But for other effects, gauge the lethality of the fight and act appropriately.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-10-07 06:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sacrifice will remove zombie, but put it on you.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2020-10-07 09:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
Sacrifice will remove zombie, but put it on you.

That's just transferring the ailment. It's not actually curing the ailment.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2020-10-09 18:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone happen to know how much DW is needed to cap haste on Winja assuming capped magic haste?
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-10-09 18:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2020-10-13 07:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Can anyone tell me if the stats on Asclepius work in the offhand?
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-10-13 08:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Just the augments are mainhand only.
 Asura.Mims
By Asura.Mims 2020-10-13 08:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asclepius [Main] All Races
DPS: 4157 DMG:194 Delay:280
HP+130 MP+70 Accuracy+50 Magic Accuracy+50 --- Both hands
Magic Damage+248 Club skill +255 Parrying skill +255 Magic Accuracy skill +269 --- Apply to specific hand only
Afflatus Misery: Esuna removes three extra status ailments --- Both hands
Augments:
[1] Chance of double damage +50% [2] Store TP+25 [3] DMG: + 8 --- Main hand only
[1] Chance of follow-up attack +50% [2] "Subtle Blow II" +25 [3] DMG: + 8 --- Main hand only
[1] "Afflatus Misery" stored +250% [2] Healing magic recast delay -25% [3] Damage Taken -15% --- Main hand only
LV 99 WHM

I personally have Path B Rank25, and I can confirm the Esuna buff works in the offhand. It should also stack when wielding 2x Asclepius, or mixing in SU3/4 clubs as well, but I haven't tried that yet.