Why Are People So Judgmental About Gear??

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Why are people so judgmental about gear??
Why are people so judgmental about gear??
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-08-25 18:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Silvaria said:
Quote:
How do you even go through life?
This is every day ***. Get over it. >.>;

Quite well, actually. People who behave poorly should be called out for it on occasion. There is nothing wrong with being momentarily upset about a person who was rather mean. 8)

It happens to me too sometimes, that feeling. Days ago, I got aggroed in Campaign right after I got my tags, and so I ran somewhere with 10+ people fighting one single mob nearby and I said "Help me out!" with auto-translate. One guy who I won't name /sh "Death" "You can have this!"

Well for some reason that fricken pissed me off LOL...... O_o It really hurt me, I guess I was already in a bad mood and I didn't feel like being /sh rejected by some PLD I never heard of I don't know.

So without thinking at all, I replied /sh *** you "you can have this!" and then the guy wanted to call a GM he was super offended and wanted to take revenge lol... and I don't know if he did cause no GM ever /tell me even an hour later (like they seriously care about what happens in game anyway)... But whatever... I explained my point to the guy after, that just because he was using auto translate didn't automatically mean he was being polite, and that he should be careful if he didn't want others to tell him to *** off from time to time...

The thing is... I feel I was an idiot to get so much worked up because some guy rejected me inside a video game. Like you say, sometimes even if you try to be a nice optimistic person and smart and wise and all, eventually you will sometimes get pissed at people over dumb issues... like getting negative comments on your gear... or even real life clothing omg who cares (lol?)

My point: you were still wrong to make this post, and now what you made it... well... it made you feel better for a second I'm sure... but after you had to deal with replies telling you that you're childish , a dork, etc... so... I don't think you feel THAT much better reading all that negativity... right? >.>

you can get stuck to the idea that venting about it did you *some* good... or you can learn from it and grow up just like everyone does from time to time, everyone makes mistake, but I hope you'll grasp my idea that this post wasn't necessary and probably didn't add anything positive to your life, let's both be more careful next time is my advice
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Lobstermagnet 2009-08-25 18:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

not willing to read all that
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-08-25 18:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fyyvoaa said:
You know, I always get asked about my gear sometimes, usually I will either answer them with something along the lines of "It's all I can afford, if you wanna tell me what to get then I will more then appreciate it if you can give me the gil for it, otherwise just stop QQing over my gear idiot, it's a game"

Honestly I *** hate people that QQ over gear and try to act elitist.

Yeah, I don't have that 30m piece of armour, so what that you do? I'm probably just as good a player as you if not better >.>

People need to learn to just appreciate what they have and leave everyone else alone.

There are very few items in this game that run in the 30mil and up range. And NO ONE is going to comment on you not having them.

Quit being gimp.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-08-25 18:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Psyence said:
Silvaria said:
Quote:
How do you even go through life?
This is every day ***. Get over it. >.>;

Quite well, actually. People who behave poorly should be called out for it on occasion. There is nothing wrong with being momentarily upset about a person who was rather mean. 8)

QQWOTQQmypeepeehurtsQQ

Fixed for those who hate to read.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-08-25 18:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
There's totally like 15 posts that say the same thing, and everyone's still posting like what they think hasn't been posted already. lol

And just as I am right now, its a good way to show how people just can't resist talking.

Anything that gets you to post is win.

Mustachio

MOAR

NAO
[+]
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-08-25 18:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lobstermagnet said:
not willing to read all that

you're willing to type, that's nice though!
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
Server: Bahamut
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-08-25 18:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Fyyvoaa said:
You know, I always get asked about my gear sometimes, usually I will either answer them with something along the lines of "It's all I can afford, if you wanna tell me what to get then I will more then appreciate it if you can give me the gil for it, otherwise just stop QQing over my gear idiot, it's a game"

Yeah, I don't have that 30m piece of armour, so what that you do? I'm probably just as good a player as you if not better >.>

People need to learn to just appreciate what they have and leave everyone else alone.

There are very few items in this game that run in the 30mil and up range. And NO ONE is going to comment on you not having them.

Quit being gimp.

I was just generalizing genius, I know there isn't it's the point that if they so desire you to have the gear that THEY think is best, then good, that's your opinion.

Sure it might be good, but not everyone has the gil to just toss around on gear so easily, they might be working on it but NO! to the elitists they have to have it NOW or they suck immediatly, those type of people just needs to live with what they can get from a person, as long as they know how to play the job, that's plenty enough from them (I am talking party situations here now)

I can understand when you go to End game and do some of the harder type ***that you might want to get some of the more "Elite" gear, but still there's a point that as soon as you hit that stage everyone expects you to automatically be able to throw out the 1.x m gear for the -1 cursed gear or the however much needed for that "SUPER DUPER AWESOME NUKE GEAR"

Gear takes time to get, simple as that, if they can't handle the fact that you are attempting to get it, they then need to just quit the game to be honest.

Like me, I may not have the "best" gear but I work towards it nonstop be it doing Nyzul to try to get askar/denali/goliard sets or doing xNM runs to get the gil to buy some of the better gear.

Sure I may be a 75 and not have good gear, but I sure as hell am working on it.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-25 18:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
I wear a Brisingamen on my WHM.

/struts

/flexes

I would if I could. D:

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Slykun
user:
By Bahamut.Slykun 2009-08-25 18:54:32
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I'm all up for people giving me hints and ideas of what to equip, what would benefit me the most.. But most who mentioned armour to me are all: "OMG, why are you not wearing ???? you effing noob."

Now, how am I meant to have the armour when I've only just got to this level, don't have a 75 yet and if I spend the time farming for all the armour I'm suppossed to have before 75, I'm just gonna grow out of it per se. I've been thrown out of parties for not having decent enough equip, but when I look at what I wear, I've seen 75's wear worse than what I have.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-25 18:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Haseyo said:
Bartimaeus said:
I wear a Brisingamen on my WHM.

/struts

/flexes

I would if I could. D:

Technically it's a

User submitted image

:P

Use that while tanking in campaign!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-08-25 19:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like try to add a different perspective on the issue. I see a lot of threads where it goes:

Person 1: ZOMGZ person 2 said mean hurtful things about my gear and the way i play QQQQQQ

Person 2: Don't worry anyone who has good gear, plays to the best of his ability and expects the same out of the people around him. Logically, he can only be that way because he has no life, is a loser, and obviously lives in his parent's basement!! RL CARD GUYZ

Audience: Oh, totally.

I played soccer and wrestled throughout middle and high school, and after high school have trained and competed in MMA. All of those things are things we do for fun. They are, essentially, games. But, as i remember, the vast majority of us tried our damndest to master every aspect of wrestling/soccer/mma. I always went out there to win, and so did almost all of my teammates. the ones who didn't weren't on the team very long. Even though those our games, i can't imagine any of my teammates saying that this was "only for fun" so they weren't going to try their hardest.

I understand that this isn't the only way to look at it. I have a very competitive personality, and i've always had friends that think the same way, so it's natural to me. In FFXI, people with competitive and non-competitive personalities get thrown together.

That guy isn't necessarily criticizing you because he has no life and can't accomplish anything in RL. He just has a different mindset than you. Perhaps before you lash out and make some random complaint thread, you could just acknowledge that people think differently and move on.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-08-25 19:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Charlottie said:
this thread is stupid

you should be ashamed of yourself

People make fun of other peoples' gear because it makes them feel better about the gear they have acquired through buying gil and/or botting.

I make fun of people who wear Crocks all the time. Despite their supposed comfort level, they look so *** gay.
[+]
 Bahamut.Citag
user:
By Bahamut.Citag 2009-08-25 19:14:08

Kungfuhustle said:

I make fun of people who wear Crocks all the time. Despite their supposed comfort level, they look so *** gay.

Glad I'm not the only one
 Fairy.Outhit
user: outhit
By Fairy.Outhit 2009-08-25 19:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

3 pages :D
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-08-25 19:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Look at it like this...

If we didn't have the homos constantly judging what people wore on a daily basis, we wouldn't have those super skinny, mal-nourished models parading around in outfits people with the least amount of sense would never wear.

Plus, gay people make even the simplest ***seem so hilarious.

"Oh look, shes wearing UG boots with long pants in the SUMMER. She MUST be bi-polar!"
 Bahamut.Citag
user:
By Bahamut.Citag 2009-08-25 19:22:41

Without gays everyone would be wearing crocs.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-08-25 19:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fyyvoaa said:
Frobeus said:
Fyyvoaa said:

Quit being gimp.

I was just generalizing genius, I know there isn't it's the point that if they so desire you to have the gear that THEY think is best, then good, that's your opinion.

Sure it might be good, but not everyone has the gil to just toss around on gear so easily, they might be working on it but NO! to the elitists they have to have it NOW or they suck immediatly, those type of people just needs to live with what they can get from a person, as long as they know how to play the job, that's plenty enough from them (I am talking party situations here now)

I can understand when you go to End game and do some of the harder type ***that you might want to get some of the more "Elite" gear, but still there's a point that as soon as you hit that stage everyone expects you to automatically be able to throw out the 1.x m gear for the -1 cursed gear or the however much needed for that "SUPER DUPER AWESOME NUKE GEAR"

Gear takes time to get, simple as that, if they can't handle the fact that you are attempting to get it, they then need to just quit the game to be honest.

Like me, I may not have the "best" gear but I work towards it nonstop be it doing Nyzul to try to get askar/denali/goliard sets or doing xNM runs to get the gil to buy some of the better gear.

False, these people do not exist. Even the most well geared people have an understanding that not everyone has time/desire to get the stuff they have. People don't make fun of other people because they are using swift belt instead or speed, or haub instead of haub+1. People get made fun of when they use R.K. Belts and nq amemets and wirve gorgets over Chiv chains.

Every job can be "decent" on a budget if geared and played in a smart way.

All the elistist bashing and whatnot that gimps come up with is just their way of convincing themselves that their fail *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE choices are good choices.
[+]
 Garuda.Caraine
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Caraine 2009-08-25 19:25:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wanna say i was always the first one in my LS to offer gear advice even tho i wasnt the best geared. If I were to see you walking around in the snow wearing a speedo i would offer u gear advice to. no diferent than a sam tping a domaru, yeah its doable, no its not smart or ideal for that situation. the diference between having some random *** bitching about your gear on this is that if that person seen u in the mall dressed in a matter they thought worth bitching about they would probably just laugh at you to there friends not walk up to you and tell you to there face. so yeah this falls into the everyone is bigger braver and tougher on the internets to category.
By Fairy.Lobstermagnet 2009-08-25 19:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

My Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-08-25 19:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

this thread boils down to this...

User submitted image
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-08-25 20:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lobstermagnet said:
My Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

Yes, damn it!

Also stop crying over text
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2009-08-25 20:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
That guy isn't necessarily criticizing you because he has no life and can't accomplish anything in RL.

I'd have to disagree, especially if said Gear Nazi is criticizing someone because they don't have a relic weapon or armor. It's usually the people with no life who rage the hardest about other peoples gear.

I think there's a difference between someone bitching because you don't have a +1 item or because you don't have 1% haste item (I'll never understand why people cream their pants over a item with 1% of freaking haste. 1% is pathetic.) and someone who is bitching because you're lvl 60 or 75 and you're using a weapon that someone would normally use at lvl 30.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-25 20:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Akeda said:
I think there's a difference between someone bitching because you don't have a +1 item or because you don't have 1% haste item (I'll never understand why people cream their pants over a item with 1% of freaking haste. 1% is pathetic.) and someone who is bitching because you're lvl 60 or 75 and you're using a weapon that someone would normally use at lvl 30.
For the sake of clarification, Haste is exponential, so it depends on how much existing haste you already have to make a fuss about 1%. If you have very little from gear, say 1-5%, then yes, it's somewhat insignificant, but if you have something like 24% and gear haste caps at 25, then that last percentage does a ***load more than it would elsewhere. I think FFXI uses /256 to or /1024 for calculations, though, so it might technically be 26**

Basically, "more is more" would apply to haste.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-08-25 20:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

but thats just with the whole Haste issue. What about +1 gear that costs uber amounts of money. Most people would get the NQ gear cz its affordable and does the same job.

Its like paying a hooker. You give her $50 for a *** and a happy ending. Would you pay her an additional $50 for a Rusty Trumbone? You wouldn't, BECAUSE ITS NOT NEEDED!
[+]
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-08-25 20:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Fyyvoaa said:
Frobeus said:
Fyyvoaa said:

Quit being gimp.

False, these people do not exist. Even the most well geared people have an understanding that not everyone has time/desire to get the stuff they have. People don't make fun of other people because they are using swift belt instead or speed, or haub instead of haub+1. People get made fun of when they use R.K. Belts and nq amemets and wirve gorgets over Chiv chains.

All the elistist bashing and whatnot that gimps come up with is just their way of convincing themselves that their fail *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE choices are good choices.

Frobeus said:
Fyyvoaa said:
Frobeus said:
Fyyvoaa said:

Quit being gimp.

Hmm I musta just got some stubborn jackass then, he got pissy cause I didn't have +1 of everything and didn't have my Rajas (Which I did get finally :D)
 Seraph.Gloryseeker
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Gloryseeker 2009-08-26 08:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

he's a counter arguement for them. . . . relic weapon or gtfo. doubt they could even afford one. and /leaves cause i phail with not having finished dagger
 Bahamut.Phey
user: buddumsp
By Bahamut.Phey 2009-08-26 19:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fyyvoaa said:
Frobeus said:
Fyyvoaa said:
Frobeus said:
Fyyvoaa said:

Quit being gimp.

Frobeus said:
Fyyvoaa said:
Frobeus said:
Fyyvoaa said:

Quit being gimp.

Hmm I musta just got some stubborn jackass then, he got pissy cause I didn't have +1 of everything and didn't have my Rajas (Which I did get finally :D)

Pretty sure that you are truly the definition of gimp. I had to carry this noob through 8-3 and then 8-4... He actually showed up on blm with full af NO rings, earrings, neck, grip, ammo and only a Dark Staff. To top it off during one of our attempts this guy goes AFK during the middle of the bcnm which we eventually timed out in due to us having to 5 man half of it. Couldn't land stuns, sleeps anything at all. We had to call in another ls member a MNK to help us win the fight, at which time the MNK examined this guy and called him out on his gimpness. Quite possibly the WORST player I have ever had to deal with in my time in game, anything he posts is moot in my honest opinion.
[+]