~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 64 65 66 ... 137 138 139
 Bahamut.Belkin
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2019-12-09 12:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem I have with PLD is that it is simply sufficient. And that's it. Just "sufficient". Everything you want to do with PLD, a RUN that is equally as geared is going to be better and more desirable.

PLD has no advantage in any category if the player is equally as skilled and as geared on both jobs.

You could argue that PLD can cure itself or others, but if that is a part of your strategy, you've got other problems. It's certainly not replacing a WHM in the party.

It has no specialty. If it could specialize in mitigating damage for OTHERS (reworked cover, rampart, and palisade) then it would have a spot. There are plenty of things you can do other than that too. Make Divine Emblem break the enmity cap until it decays back to the regular cap over time (which would make Burtgang better because of the reduced decay rate).

Or rework reprisal to not suck ***.

I'm a PLD lover through and through since the olden days -- a loyalist if you will. Even in the face of all these Epeo RUN's, I have continued to gear and improve my sets. And yeah, I do fine tanking anything. But the point is that anything a PLD can do adequately, a RUN is better.
[+]
By Taint 2019-12-09 13:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mikumaru said: »
Taint said: »
None of the suggestions make PLD any more desirable vs RUN than it already is. That’s the biggest issue PLD is facing.

Having to sub BLU just makes the job terrible to play, so flashga/Any AOE hate management would be incredibly welcome, it just isn’t solving the core problem.
I would suggest reevaluating your gear sets. What I have found to work is using a fast cast set for flash, Jettatura, Blank Gaze, and Reprisal and SIRD on Geist Wall, Stinking Gas, Soporific, and healing breeze. You can hit 65%+FC on gear with little to no problem. Coupled with the haste from refueling, tour flash timer should be below 25 seconds( @66% and Haste 2 its 15) and Jettatura is about 45 seconds, so you can flash 3 times between each Jettatura and throw blank gaze out between timers. With 2500 HP and 65% FC in your midcast,you can full time Reprisal against a single monster. So between all the flashes, Jettatura, and Reprisals coupled with 0 damage blocks and the self cures from dumping HP for fast cast set, you're generating more enmity than a RUN can while putting less strain on your WHM, all you need is some form of decent refresh like 2 ballads or non-vanilla Refresh 2 from a RDM and boom, PLD is great again.

My gear (which is near perfect outside of DM augs) is not the problem. My GS is not the problem.

Subbing BLU to spam dumb spells even with 65% FC isn't fun or productive. Meanwhile on RUN I can control 1-50 mobs with Foil, Flash/Stun and a plethora JAs. While DPSs, buffing the party and debuffing the mob.

At the end of the day PLD brings extremely little to the table compared to RUN, to the point that if PLD had a native -87.5% DT, you'd still bring RUNs to most everything for their buffs/debuffs and contributed DPS.
By fonewear 2019-12-09 13:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with Paladin is that they are basically white knights...
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2019-12-09 13:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe then the effort might be better put into a DPS RDM or NIN since those jobs dont have debuffs on 5 minute cooldowns? It seems silly to complain about something that has never been or never will be, is all.
By Torzak 2019-12-09 13:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as either PLD or RUN can survive the encounter, can hold threat in so much as they are supposed to be able to (forced threat resets/mechanics),

the differences comes down to why bring a PLD over a RUN when the RUN 1) does more DPS and 2) allows the group to do more DPS?

ShiftingAdding some of what RUN can do to either NIN or RDM per your example might help minimize the need for RUN specifically, but minimize isn't the same as removed entirely as it doesn't change the dynamic in the player base's opinion of which tank to bring so long as RUN increases group DPS and PLD does not.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-12-09 13:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I gotta be totally honest, I don't understand why the hell RUN gets gambit and rayke anyway. It makes no sense at all. They gave it to run so we would start using RUN when no one would... ok mission accomplished... but now it's over used.

Take those away and you level the playing field considerably. Not fully, but it's a gigantic shift.

Who do you give gambit and rayke to?... Whoever gets them is automatically the new best job in the game. Maybe they're too broken on their own.
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2019-12-09 13:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're counting on those abilities to be a linchpin, maybe reevaluate the make up of your group, thier gear, and skills. You might not be ready for the content you're engaging.
By Torzak 2019-12-09 14:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't really matter if you can do the content with or without those debuffs.

The bottom line thought and why people pick RUN over PLD is, "Why make things harder on yourself?"

You're totally free to pick a PLD for whatever content you want, and many people will still be ok with a PLD tank for many things, but as the word gets around or as PLDs see the unwillingness from a group shouting for a tank to use their PLD, it only solidifies in the minds of everyone that RUN is the way to go.

Did you read the pages for Rayke and Gambit and what they do? They aren't just tiny DPS boosts for their duration. They are pretty substantial, effecting things like the nuke wall (multiple nukes landing in a small window of time), skill chain damage, resistances, and Gambit being a flat percentage increase of damage (up to 30%) for more than a full minute with AF+3 gloves.

For a group spamming Leaden or Sanguine, that 30% boost for a 1min+ is pretty powerful. And PLD can't do anything like it.
 Bahamut.Belkin
Server: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2019-12-09 14:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Torzak said: »
It doesn't really matter if you can do the content with or without those debuffs.

The bottom line thought and why people pick RUN over PLD is, "Why make things harder on yourself?"

You're totally free to pick a PLD for whatever content you want, and many people will still be ok with a PLD tank for many things, but as the word gets around or as PLDs see the unwillingness from a group shouting for a tank to use their PLD, it only solidifies in the minds of everyone that RUN is the way to go.

Did you read the pages for Rayke and Gambit and what they do? They aren't just tiny DPS boosts for their duration. They are pretty substantial, effecting things like the nuke wall (multiple nukes landing in a small window of time), skill chain damage, resistances, and Gambit being a flat percentage increase of damage (up to 30%) for more than a full minute with AF+3 gloves.

For a group spamming Leaden or Sanguine, that 30% boost for a 1min+ is pretty powerful. And PLD can't do anything like it.

I would also emphasize that Rayke and Gambit aren't necessarily "linch pins" as he has been referring to them as. It's just a noticeable bump that you get from RUN over PLD. Why would you not take it if it was available to you?

Hey do you want to have +30% elemental damage or nah?
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2019-12-09 17:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

And on the physical side, one of these jobs can stay competitive with the heavy DDs, especially when debuffs are being thrown out by the boss. The other is PLD.
 Asura.Outlawbruce
user: Cronnus
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2019-12-09 22:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

New ability like pianissimo recast timer
/crossesfingers
[+]
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2019-12-09 22:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I trust you SE. Just wasted a lot of gil on this. Don't let me down.
By Felgarr 2019-12-09 23:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arico said: »

I trust you SE. Just wasted a lot of gil on this. Don't let me down.

Welcome to the club! (of AG Ochains or those who are regularly disappointed by SE. Same difference) :P
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-12-09 23:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I nailed that guess, 60 second recast
By soralin 2019-12-09 23:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Oof, alright so lets see what the CE/VE is on it I guess.

Its going to need to be huge though.

Id suggest testing the cure enmity generated separate as well, they could do something weird like "Cures with Majesty generate hate as if they had fully healed the players regardless of their actual life totals" Or something weird like that.

If they did something like that, then Majesty would be neat because it encourages paladins to fill a role of encouraging melee parties as the tank, since you want everyone to be in AoE range of your AoE cure, whereas RUN is more suited for ranged parties.

But.

It probably doesnt do ***and SE has no idea what they are doing.
[+]
By Prong 2019-12-09 23:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Torzak said: »

It doesn't matter if RUN is better in most situations than PLD, because NOBODY wants to tank. This has never changed. If someone is willing to tank, whether it be on PLD or RUN, someone is going to take them. Period.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-12-09 23:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

No one wants to tank, no one wants to heal

PLD is double useless
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2019-12-10 00:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

No one wants to tank? Wow.. OK.. that's a bit of an exaggeration.
By Prong 2019-12-10 00:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brahmsz said: »

Not at all. Been playing this game since BETA and this along with people not wanting to play WHM has always, always, always been an issue. I'm sorry if there is ONE or TWO tank nutjobs out there that love it and someone wants to create the, "don't make absolute statements..." argument just to be annoyingly nitpicky, but it's a pretty fair statement overall to say the VAST majority of the time, trying to find someone who is actually wanting to tank is rough. Most of the time even in my shell who has great tanks, our shell leader is basically having to bribe or beg them to tank (so he doesn't have to constantly) events such as Omen/Dyna D/Ambuscade, etc.

I have PLD and RUN mastered and I tanked old school Dyna Xarc every Saturday on my first character for years so now admittedly I avoid it like the plague. I've even caught myself not trying to do well while tanking because I know, once people know you are good at a job nobody wants to play, they ask you to come that job much too often. And, nobody likes to be told no so, it creates a rift between you and the person doing the asking. And why do people tend to not like to tank? Because when things go right, the DD and support get all the credit. When things go wrong, the tank and healers get all the blame. It's an often stressful, thankless job.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sterk
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Sterk 2019-12-10 00:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Prong said: »
when things go right, the DD and support get all the credit
Can't say I've ever experienced clearing a difficult fight and seeing someone go "Great job, GEO! You kept those bubbles up like a boss!"
[+]
By soralin 2019-12-10 00:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Added the new relevant accessories to the Pld DPS Spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/108sId92yPaJVXxyBYyl5ZFYlnz-_bRcvR8XdTUOf9Ww/edit?usp=sharing

Aurgelmir Orb +1

Balder Earring +1

Gerdr Belt +1

Thrud Earring

Thrud Earring is almost definitely hands down best in slot Savage blade earring, which is nice. A small boost, but a welcome one.
By Ozaii 2019-12-10 00:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Not at all. Been playing this game since BETA and this along with people not wanting to play WHM has always, always, always been an issue. I'm sorry if there is ONE or TWO tank nutjobs out there that love it and someone wants to create the, "don't make absolute statements..." argument just to be annoyingly nitpicky, but it's a pretty fair statement overall to say the VAST majority of the time, trying to find someone who is actually wanting to tank is rough. Most of the time even in my shell who has great tanks, our shell leader is basically having to bribe or beg them to tank (so he doesn't have to constantly) events such as Omen/Dyna D/Ambuscade, etc.

I have PLD and RUN mastered and I tanked old school Dyna Xarc every Saturday on my first character for years so now admittedly I avoid it like the plague. And why? Because when things go right, the DD and support get all the credit. When things go wrong, the tank and healers get all the blame. It's a boring, thankless job.

I mean this statements fairly accurate I would say. Tanks are under appreciated. And if the tanks lose hate its the end of the world and dds go nutz. Only thing I disagree with is healings get far more compliments than the support do. Or get held in the limelight of the group more than the support do. At least with the people i play with. Gotta praise them whms or they shant goanna drop them fat cures.
[+]
By Prong 2019-12-10 00:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sterk said: »
when things go right, the DD and support get all the credit
Can't say I've ever experienced clearing a difficult fight and seeing someone go "Great job, GEO! You kept those bubbles up like a boss!"

Not my experience. In our shell (and others I've been in), the people willing to play BRD, GEO (correctly and with some effort), RDM (without equipping a sword) and hell even SCH get tons of props from our leaders. They know how important they are to efficiency and are grateful when people play those jobs well.
By soralin 2019-12-10 00:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

From my experience the supports are just some dudes Alt so if you give props to a support bot you get made fun of.

If you lose hate as paladin on meh tier content, no one actually cares much actually. People just keep zerging and are probably watching netflix and barely notice they are getting hit.

Only person that gets flack if things go wrong is, as always, the healer. If everyone else screws up and the group wipes, its 100% the healer's fault for not keeping people alive (even if they were standing in AoE range and shouldnt have or were doing dumb ***)
By Prong 2019-12-10 00:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ozaii said: »

I have PLD and RUN mastered and I tanked old school Dyna Xarc every Saturday on my first character for years so now admittedly I avoid it like the plague. And why? Because when things go right, the DD and support get all the credit. When things go wrong, the tank and healers get all the blame. It's a boring, thankless job.

I mean this statements fairly accurate I would say. Tanks are under appreciated. And if the tanks lose hate its the end of the world and dds go nutz. Only thing I disagree with is healings get far more compliments than the support do. Or get held in the limelight of the group more than the support do. At least with the people i play with. Gotta praise them whms or they shant goanna drop them fat cures.

I will agree WHMs do get more respect and vocal support than tanks, and some people do tend to kiss their bask-side just for showing up, whether they perform well or not...but that's to their face. In tells, it's always, "Well if our party's WHM didn't suck, we could have won...." But from my experience, support jobs such as BRD and GEO are treated like mini-gods. As long as they are decent and sing the right songs/use the right bubbles, etc. And honestly, they have extremely minimal responsibility when compared to the healers and tanks.
By cuddlyhamster 2019-12-10 00:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

When things go wrong, the tank and healers get all the blame. It's a often stressful, thankless job.

Something is wrong with your group if they are blaming the tank and healer when ***hits the fan. well, except the healer, they have no soul. the nin blew up or the mnk is fisting the whm? its cuz the dds didnt kill it fast enough. the tank is still tanking? its cuz the dds arent doing enough damage. the whm is running into the wall constantly casting auspice and interrupting itself? the dds probably did something. blame them
By Prong 2019-12-10 00:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

cuddlyhamster said: »
When things go wrong, the tank and healers get all the blame. It's a often stressful, thankless job.

Something is wrong with your group if they are blaming the tank and healer when ***hits the fan. well, except the healer, they have no soul. the nin blew up or the mnk is fisting the whm? its cuz the dds didnt kill it fast enough. the tank is still tanking? its cuz the dds arent doing enough damage. the whm is running into the wall constantly casting auspice and interrupting itself? the dds probably did something. blame them

It's not just, "my group." It's 2019, rarely are people always and only doing things with the same exact "group" all the time. I'm talking about years of groups, whether it's pickup groups or past or present linkshells, event or social, etc., etc. This has always been the case. When shyte hits the fan, unless it's super obvious one person is causing the issue, the tanks usually get the brunt of the blame for not holding hate or not surviving when 20+ mobs are awoken in Dyna D because some THF decided to wake them all with Aeolian Edge to "tag" them with TH, etc. and you didn't have Battuta up to use or Sentinel. (Just an example).
By cuddlyhamster 2019-12-10 01:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not just, "my group." It's 2019, rarely are people always and only doing things with the same exact "group" all the time. I'm talking about years of groups, whether it's pickup groups or past or present linkshells, event or social, etc., etc. This has always been the case. When shyte hits the fan, unless it's super obvious one person is causing the issue, the tanks usually get the brunt of the blame for not holding hate or not surviving when 20+ mobs are awoken in Dyna D because some THF decided to wake them all with Aeolian Edge to "tag" them with TH, etc. and you didn't have Battuta up to use or Sentinel. (Just an example).

Maybe its a big server vs small server thing. I only got one omen group, one dynamis group, no group for ambu (no one shouts). even back when there were more than 200 people online that spoke a language i could understand, it felt like there was more linkshell loyalty and less service mercing. I am one of those crazy people that dont mind coming whm, pld, or brd and actually play the job, but i guess i had a supportive enough group that i didnt feel like i got blamed for a wipe
By Prong 2019-12-10 01:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe its a big server vs small server thing. I only got one omen group, one dynamis group, no group for ambu (no one shouts). even back when there were more than 200 people online that spoke a language i could understand, it felt like there was more linkshell loyalty and less service mercing. I am one of those crazy people that dont mind coming whm, pld, or brd and actually play the job, but i guess i had a supportive enough group that i didnt feel like i got blamed for a wipe

Maybe, not sure. Group I am in (even though I've had little time to play these days) is pretty much best of the best (not me necessarily, but few others in the shell are pretty unmatched). So, everyone is pretty much expected to play at a very high level or else, why did you level the job...so to speak. If you do anything wrong, they let you know immediately. It's unenjoyable at times to be honest, but, they take the time and make the effort to be their best so can't blame them for expecting that out of everyone in the group. But again, I'm talking about all time, not just current groups...all time FFXI, for as long as it's been out, this has been my experience when tanking.

As far as shell loyalty that kind of went out the door when they introduced the concierge pearl NPCs and the ability to hold multiple linkshells, from my experience. Not saying it's not a good thing to have shell loyalty it's just, it doesn't have the same feeling as before IMO. In the past when you had one shell, you felt more like what you were doing every day was helping someone who has helped you, even if it was inadvertently. Now, unless you've been in the same group for years and know one another, it just kind of feels more like a job to me. You come to an event because there is some gain for you to be there, you come a job the person creating the alliance asks you to come for the most part, and you go through the motions so nobody points you out for sucking. You don't really get excited for others when they get things they want anymore since you may not even know them, you just share that same little colored circle by your head.
By cuddlyhamster 2019-12-10 02:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Majesty
Doesnt wear off on casting cure
10 distance aoe around target
no increase of mp cost, at least with 2 characters
First Page 2 3 ... 64 65 66 ... 137 138 139