~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 63 64 65 ... 137 138 139
 Asura.Fishybowl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Fishybowl
By Asura.Fishybowl 2019-11-26 15:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So your set is 18% DA 50PDT, "45MDT,BDT" Capped Haste, 2900HP.

Im sitting at 28%DA 6%TA Capped DT/HASTE, but roughly about 600~hp less. Which could mean dead or not dead depending on the mon haha.

With GEO/BRD I'm loving my current build though its very satisfying with the TP Gain. My main goal was to MAX DT/HASTE and have enough ACC to handle the majority of content.
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2019-11-26 15:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess thats what makes mine more of a hybrid hp build, yours can dish out more damage, but mine wont piss the whm's off as much lol
By Ruaumoko 2019-12-03 02:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Update Preview

PLD is getting Banishga and a new ability which makes Cure spells AoE. First thought is that it doesn't seem to be addressing a whole lot but looking at it again... Banishga means PLD has an AoE hate register tool native to it's main job. Also, that ability could be very good if it lasts for more than one Cure and also increases the hate gain.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-12-03 02:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

So I mean the take away here is that you need to use more DD's (more bodies to get hit by aoes) and you shouldn't use a whm so the PLD can heal them with curaga now.

Sounds like a solid game plan, right?

(on the real note, they gave PLD accession....) I sincerely hope you people actually post that this is *** and get a real fix instead of bending over and taking it. But let's be real you won't. So break out the runefencer gear.
[+]
By Nariont 2019-12-03 02:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

was flashga really so bad a move SE? Aswell as an inverse of tranquil heart? Least scythe drks might havegotten some real love i guess
By Ruaumoko 2019-12-03 02:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
was flashga really so bad a move SE? Aswell as an inverse of tranquil heart? Least scythe drks might havegotten some real love i guess
Could turn out this new ability also does that, inverse of Tranquil Heart.
By Nariont 2019-12-03 02:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

we'll see, for now it just sounds like sch accension, might be even worse and simply make next spell a -ga variant and lock it to pt only, have to wait and see on that front
 Asura.Highwynn
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2019-12-03 13:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be surprised if PLD only gets Banishga I considering it has such low damage and PLD has poor magic accuracy. Though, maybe with Divine Emblem, it could be a decent AoE enmity tool depending on the enmity modifier. Really though, SE needs to rework the Banish line spells entirely to make them feasible both for PLD and WHM alike. If they aren't going to give WHM Banish IV or Banishga III, they should at least make them scale more heavily with Divine Magic. Perhaps they will add a bonus flat enmity to PLD's Banishga so it's near Flash's potency. They have demonstrated before that they are capable of adding job-specific enmity to skills usable by multiple jobs (DRG vs /DRG high jump for example)

I don't think they could add "Flashga" because they've already said they hit were very close to the hard limit on # of spells they can add to the registry back when they added Meteor/Arise to the game. In my opinion, they should cull a large swathe of spells from the game to make room for more interesting/unique ones. The status ailment songs that enhance resistance to Bind or Heavy, Deodorize, some of the single target bar spells, Animus: Augeo/Minuo. Then they could introduce Flashga/Stoneskin II, Blink II, Banish IV, etc.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-12-03 14:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Banish spells are plain old dmg enmity. Which is to say complete trash on high level mobs. To compete with DD enmity wise using damaging spells, you'd need to be doing comparable amounts of dmg to the DDs. Without magic bursts(since they vastly reduce enmity gain from the dmg.) and with a bit of leeway via enmity+. Think PLD casting banish is going to do that much dmg?

Basically, not even divine emblem is going to make those worth casting at all for enmity purposes. Banishga has value to PLD as a native, non-dot, aoe tag spell. But unless they completely change everything about it enmity wise, it's only going to be used to tag.

And yeah, divine magic nukes need some attention. They were ignored during the elemental magic rework during the SoA era
[+]
 Asura.Highwynn
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2019-12-03 14:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

They could grant a separate enmity modifier to Banishga independent of its damage (think: Shield Bash) when PLD is set to your main job perhaps (so WHMs don't get screwed, and other classes can't /WHM to tank). If they don't then you're right, it'd just be for tagging, but that would make it really limited. If they gave it VE/CE similar to Shield Bash, it could be used similarly to how Flash used to be in FFXIV, for gathering and maintaining enmity on multiple targets.
By fonewear 2019-12-03 14:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Paladin great yet ?
[+]
By soralin 2019-12-03 16:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Banishga is nice and needed for sure. We just need a high VE self target buff spell akin to RUN.

Rotating between Sentinel and Rampart,
Is obviously way too slow. This new AoE cure buff might fill that hole in, if the ability itself generates a bunch of hate just popping it.

Maybe if it has a 1min cooldown and only lasts 1 cure, but the JA itself generates some fat enmity...

That could do it.
 Shiva.Malthar
Server: Shiva
user: Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2019-12-03 16:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It should have been flashga.
[+]
By Torzak 2019-12-03 16:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Highwynn said: »
In my opinion, they should cull a large swathe of spells from the game to make room for more interesting/unique ones.

Could they have already done this? They removed different levels of protect/shell (WHM update), dia III, bio III, phalanx II, blind II, (RDM update) etc. I mean, I know in the log it was still saying phalanx II whether you merit boosted it once or five times, but could those all have been different spells in this context?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-12-03 16:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if "new curaga" generates absolute max enmity... targets have to be hurt for it to do anything. Which is never the case. A lot of things they do are usless or pointless, but this is literally pointless. at absolute max you might cure 50 hp to the GEO when they swap idleset.

Torzak said: »
They removed different levels of protect/shell, dia III, bio III, phalanx II, blind II, etc. I mean, I know in the log it's still saying phalanx II whether you merit boosted it once or five times, but could those all have been different spells in this context?
They could easily drop lower tier spells, the mechanic already exists. Just cast Protect/Shell and it gives tiers by itself, the scrolls already do that. That drops 8 spells that could be changed to new stuff.

Really don't honestly need single target bars either just make them all aoe, that's like 20 spells too.
By Torzak 2019-12-03 16:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Even if "new curaga" generates absolute max enmity... targets have to be hurt for it to do anything.

Banishga to tag.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-12-03 16:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean that curaga for 0 hp generates 0 enmity. No one is in range to get cured and now whm could cure less, but that's not really going to happen.

You can't make a whole party "cure cheat" (I mean, you can...)
 Asura.Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2019-12-03 16:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
I mean that curaga for 0 hp generates 0 enmity. No one is in range to get cured and now whm could cure less, but that's not really going to happen.

You can't make a whole party "cure cheat"

I found the use guys, they think PLD should only be able to tank Gin, that curaga is a quick way to get hate after the aoe throat stab hate reset.
GG SE you figured out PLDs true use.
By Torzak 2019-12-03 16:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cure competition doesn't benefit a PLD for threat and it doesn't benefit a WHM's MP pool (empy legs)

I honestly can't wait to see what the ability is/does so I can go wow:

They missed the mark entirely.

or

That's actually pretty neat.
 Asura.Tydis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Asura.Tydis 2019-12-03 17:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

My expectations were low but holy *** ***that announcement is abysmal.
 Asura.Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2019-12-03 18:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Torzak said: »
Cure competition doesn't benefit a PLD for threat and it doesn't benefit a WHM's MP pool (empy legs)

I honestly can't wait to see what the ability is/does so I can go wow:

They missed the mark entirely.

or

That's actually pretty neat.

I basically said this to my discord, the hp recovered to mp used ratio is too far off for PLD, even with BIS cure potency gear, and even if I wanted to use a cure cheat, 88 mp cost for 1100 hp recovered with a cure IV. Or a whm casts cure III for 900 hp and oh btw it was free cause empy pants.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-12-03 19:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

That is the wrong way to look at it entirely. PLD mp pool is basically full 100% of the time, it'll actually give you a reason to use an ochain/some mp.

The problem is that you can't cure anyone that isn't getting damaged.

So like cool, you've got a 1 minute timer (total guess) where you can drop an aoe cure 4, great, it cured 0 hp, did nothing, cost 88mp which you'll get back long before 60 seconds, and absolutely *** all happened. unless the ja gives 10000 ce/ve. So why even make the ja do anything other than just give enmity? the fact that it can cast a curaga after usage is moot. one last ditch cure bomb?
By Shichishito 2019-12-04 01:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm no PLD expert so i could be completely wrong but in my experience relying on ochains mp mechanic only works in low level content. even apex mobs seem to drop blockrate low enough to run out of mp without additional sources of refresh.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-12-04 02:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
i'm no PLD expert so i could be completely wrong but in my experience relying on ochains mp mechanic only works in low level content. even apex mobs seem to drop blockrate low enough to run out of mp without additional sources of refresh.
Nah, Ochain's block rate on most Apex mobs is actually quite decent. On your typical Doh gates lvl 128 mob it should be around 67% block rate with no extra skill or block+. With reprisal up it would cap(Just barely.) But blockrate is not the issue with the MP convert in any case.

Honestly, you'll get less MP out of Ochain on lower level content. The reason being that Ochain's MP recovery is based on the dmg taken after blocking. Which, with phalanx up, is quite often 0. Then you get no MP.

So if you aren't taking any dmg when blocking, you aren't recovering any MP. Ochain's MP convert is only useful on things that actually hit hard enough to not get 0'd by phalanx. Well, or if you don't mind the mobs getting TP, you can cancel phalanx and rake in the MP.
By Kirinkage 2019-12-07 07:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting hit for 0 is what I love the most. I guess my Ochain returns Nada.
By soralin 2019-12-08 23:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh?

You should have perma capped MP as pld on apex mobs anyways since we have numerous ways to refill mp.

Ochains value is for Shield Mastery. Pure and simple.

Aegis has higher net damage reduction in the long term, but the block rate on ochain makes you gain insane TP and easily solo 3 step SCs with capped haste.

But, even then.

You should be using Shining One and going /sam for apex mobs and spamming 60k Impulse Drives.

Use Ayame who will open T3 SCs for you and, quite often, you will do like 70% of an Apex mobs life in 1 SC.

Discussing Ochains MP regain on apex mobs is several layers of abstraction away from what a paladin should be doing on apex fights.

I hope the new JA has a short timer and on it's own generates a bunch of enmity.

Honestly though, what we really needed...

Was for that AoE JA to work on Flash as well. Instead of giving us banishga 3, just let us use that JA to turn Flash into Flashga, Banish into Bsnishga, Cure into Curaga, etc.

It's such a sweet and simple fix.

Also wtf fix atonement and burtgang already, how is it still broken even on the old update?!

Just make atonement a normal jacked WS....
By Taint 2019-12-09 05:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

None of the suggestions make PLD any more desirable vs RUN than it already is. That’s the biggest issue PLD is facing.

Having to sub BLU just makes the job terrible to play, so flashga/Any AOE hate management would be incredibly welcome, it just isn’t solving the core problem.
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2019-12-09 11:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
None of the suggestions make PLD any more desirable vs RUN than it already is. That’s the biggest issue PLD is facing.

Having to sub BLU just makes the job terrible to play, so flashga/Any AOE hate management would be incredibly welcome, it just isn’t solving the core problem.
I would suggest reevaluating your gear sets. What I have found to work is using a fast cast set for flash, Jettatura, Blank Gaze, and Reprisal and SIRD on Geist Wall, Stinking Gas, Soporific, and healing breeze. You can hit 65%+FC on gear with little to no problem. Coupled with the haste from refueling, tour flash timer should be below 25 seconds( @66% and Haste 2 its 15) and Jettatura is about 45 seconds, so you can flash 3 times between each Jettatura and throw blank gaze out between timers. With 2500 HP and 65% FC in your midcast,you can full time Reprisal against a single monster. So between all the flashes, Jettatura, and Reprisals coupled with 0 damage blocks and the self cures from dumping HP for fast cast set, you're generating more enmity than a RUN can while putting less strain on your WHM, all you need is some form of decent refresh like 2 ballads or non-vanilla Refresh 2 from a RDM and boom, PLD is great again.
By Torzak 2019-12-09 11:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

@Mikumaru

Enmity & survivability aren't really problems of PLD.

Clearly there's threat issues with a lot of the Merit Fights and Unity because of the way SE chose to make those encounters. This is a separate issue and was discussed.

The problem most people have with PLD tanks is a lack of Rayke & Gambit or their own DPS increasing abilities or spells. I saw one of my LS's having a conversation yesterday about the possibility of taking 2 or 3 RUNs into dynamis as they were figuring which people were going to go on which jobs based on job availability, etc. You can bet your rear end Rayke & Gambit were a huge portion of their thought process.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Rayke

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Gambit
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2019-12-09 12:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

That's sort like complaining that you have to bring a RDM for T2/3 debuffs cuz WHM doesnt get them. I've never seen a situation where Rayke and Gambit were the linch pin to success so forgive me for that, all the complaints I've seen have been about enmity, and in lowman content, hate bounces between the DDs or the strongest DD ends up tanking.
First Page 2 3 ... 63 64 65 ... 137 138 139