On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)
On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)
First Page 2 3 ... 80 81 82 ... 95 96 97
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2019-05-10 10:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
The question is ~why~ would a WHM want a status debuff on themselves when they could just removed it in the first place. Why transfer Slow / Paralyze / Virus / Curse when you could just cast Erase / Paralyna / Viruna / Cursna, even make it AoE with a Yagrush or DV proc. Why even bother risking having it on the healer in the first place when they can just remove it.
Of course a WHM wouldn't want ailments, and casting Erase/Viruna/etc is better. The problem is, casting time is finite. Sometimes they have more ailments than you can remove in a reasonable time. Sometimes you need to get back to casting Cures instead of spending 10 seconds casting 5 different -na spells in a row.

So no, a WHM never WANTS ailments on themselves, but I very often would rather have those ailments on myself than literally ANY other member of the party. Paralyze & Silence are the only exceptions, the only ailments I would always remove before casting Sacrifice.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-05-10 10:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meliorah said: »
With barfire and baramnesra I almost never have amnesia land on me and if it does it's not on for more than 3s which would be the brain reponse time of the whm that isn't a bot to go "oh hey, they have amnesia" and by the time they swap into misery amnesia is already worn off.

Depends on strategy, you can only have one barelemental and one barstatus spell at a time. If we're protecting you from Amnesia then we're not protecting you from Stun / ect. That or your not fighting anything over CL140 which is where the debuff insanity really starts. The magic accuracy of CL145 and CL150 boss's is so high that only a RUN can reliably resist status ailments. In fact there is an entire battle strategy centered around using RUN's as DD's precisely for that reason. For WAR/DRK/DRG/BLU/COR/ect.. barspells helps reduce the aggregate impact but it doesn't remove the effect from the battle field.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-05-10 10:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Like to know what the hell you are fighting on the regular that would even warrant your complaint but ok fam
[+]
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2019-05-10 10:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

How the hell did Nyaa suddenly get all this support for Sacrifice = bad train.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-05-10 10:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
Of course a WHM wouldn't want ailments, and casting Erase/Viruna/etc is better. The problem is, casting time is finite. Sometimes they have more ailments than you can remove in a reasonable time. Sometimes you need to get back to casting Cures instead of spending 10 seconds casting 5 different -na spells in a row.

Except sacrifice adds ~another~ spell that needs to be cast first and required the WHM to be a few yalms away. Cura's are the most efficient heal spells in the game, when was the last time you saw a WHM healing Albumen with Cura's?

10s isn't enough for 5 different -na's, not remotely close. It's enough for 2 and almost a third. You also don't cast multiple in a row, if your in any fight that would require you to be healing constantly your not standing close enough for old-esuna to be a thing.

This is how that works btw (assuming Raetic +1, otherwise Curaga III over II)

Erase -> Curaga II -> Paralyna -> Curaga II -> Erase -> ect..

We do this all - the - time.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-10 10:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyaarun give up on this argument. You're the only person on this forum who thinks the WHM having ailments is the end of the world.

Sacrifice was a fantastic spell before this update. Sounds like they completely broke it so it'll only be useful for removing Zombie in the future, but whatever.

You would have to be amazingly ignorant to think any debuff is better on a whm than anyone else. The only debuff you could really take was blind, and thats fairly low prio and can just be blindna the 1 or 2 DD rather quickly or have the geo hit low prio debuffs like those. Any major debuff youd actually wanna use it on either couldnt be taken (silence/petri, not that youd even want those) or could easily wipe you if you did take them (para).
 Sylph.Banhammer
Server: Sylph
user: Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2019-05-10 10:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Except sacrifice adds ~another~ spell that needs to be cast first and required the WHM to be a few yalms away. Cura's are the most efficient heal spells in the game, when was the last time you saw a WHM healing Albumen with Cura's?

10s isn't enough for 5 different -na's, not remotely close. It's enough for 2 and almost a third. You also don't cast multiple in a row, if your in any fight that would require you to be healing constantly your not standing close enough for old-esuna to be a thing.

This is how that works btw (assuming Raetic +1, otherwise Curaga III over II)

Erase -> Curaga II -> Paralyna -> Curaga II -> Erase -> ect..

We do this all - the - time.

Cura...you literally have no idea how WHM works.
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2019-05-10 10:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Except sacrifice adds ~another~ spell that needs to be cast first and required the WHM to be a few yalms away.
What? Are you thinking of Esuna? Sacrifice range is 20+ and it's only one spell to cast. I don't cast it then remove the ailments from myself. I cast it then ignore the ailments on myself, or remove them at my leisure rather than right away. The point is to get them off the front-line jobs immediately.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2019-05-10 11:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

What does Animus solace do exactly?
Help text is vague
Increases the maximum damage absorbed by Stoneskin applied by certain healing spells during Afflatus Solace.

I assume this has to do with Solace's holy bonus?
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-05-10 11:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xelltrix said: »

I have him blocked cause he's a troll and no idea.

Sacrifice is almost useless due to the restrictions SE placed on it during design. Absorbing status ailments is ~bad~, the healer is the most important / precious member of the group and should be protected at all costs. Deliberately hampering their performance is stupid. Esuna only removing status ailments that were "on the healer" was super stupid, and only removing them from people a few yalms from the healer was incredibly stupid.

Thus virtually any update to these spells would of been a buff. In all my years of playing this game, creating strategies, exploiting weakness's, and coordinating teams, I've only seen Esuna used in one Ambuscade fight by lower end teams, and only seen Sacrifice used to remove status debuffs that had no other removal method.

Anyone who thinks those spells were actually useful is smoking some good ***and needs to share.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-05-10 11:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
What does Animus solace do exactly?
Help text is vague
Increases the maximum damage absorbed by Stoneskin applied by certain healing spells during Afflatus Solace.

I assume this has to do with Solace's holy bonus?

Looks like it ups the cureskin base cap.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-05-10 11:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Sylph.Banhammer
Server: Sylph
user: Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2019-05-10 11:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xelltrix said: »

I have him blocked cause he's a troll and no idea.

Sacrifice is almost useless due to the restrictions SE placed on it during design. Absorbing status ailments is ~bad~, the healer is the most important / precious member of the group and should be protected at all costs. Deliberately hampering their performance is stupid. Esuna only removing status ailments that were "on the healer" was super stupid, and only removing them from people a few yalms from the healer was incredibly stupid.

Thus virtually any update to these spells would of been a buff. In all my years of playing this game, creating strategies, exploiting weakness's, and coordinating teams, I've only seen Esuna used in one Ambuscade fight by lower end teams, and only seen Sacrifice used to remove status debuffs that had no other removal method.

Anyone who thinks those spells were actually useful is smoking some good ***and needs to share.

Saevel = Nyaa, confirmed.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-10 11:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Literally agrees with me, im a troll.....

One day people will realize im the intelligent one here. One day.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2019-05-10 11:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

@Saevel, Sacrifice is underutilized but it's great for removing impact debuff as you absorb all the stat down in 1 spell (usually off whomever has hate) and staff down isn't as critical to WHM.

I hope they keep that multi-debuff removal on solace stance for stuff like that at least. I think it's broken atm?
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2019-05-10 11:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
You would have to be amazingly ignorant to think any debuff is better on a whm than anyone else. The only debuff you could really take was blind, and thats fairly low prio and can just be blindna the 1 or 2 DD rather quickly or have the geo hit low prio debuffs like those. Any major debuff youd actually wanna use it on either couldnt be taken (silence/petri, not that youd even want those) or could easily wipe you if you did take them (para).
I mean yeah, Blind is clearly the only debuff you'd want on yourself over the front-lines... besides Dia, Bio, STR Down, DEX Down, VIT Down, AGI Down, INT Down, MND Down, CHR Down, Disease, Zombie, Flash, Bind, Gravity, Slow, Poison, Addle, Evasion Down, Attack Down, Accuracy Down, Magic Evasion Down, Magic Attack Down, Magic Defense Down... just off the top of my head

Absorbing status ailments is ~bad~, the healer is the most important / precious member of the group and should be protected at all costs. Deliberately hampering their performance is stupid.
And none of those ailments I listed have any impact on WHM's performance. Except disease which can rob some of my MP, but I'd rather it rob my MP than the front-line's TP. It's not like WHM runs out of MP anymore anyway. Edit: And Slow, of course I'd want to Erase that when I have a chance, but still rather it be on me than the front-line jobs because I can compensate for it by juggling my different healing spells instead of spamming the same one over and over.
[+]
By Isszo 2019-05-10 11:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see sacrifice being useful for certain fights where you want to stand in range. Misery > Sacrifice petrify off someone to give yourself immunity then stand in range with divine caress for something else.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-05-10 11:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is to get them off the front-line jobs immediately.

Then you wouldn't be using Sacrifice in the first place and would instead use a Yag + -na spell to the most dangerous one.

You can't remove Stun, Charm, Amnesia (before), or Terror with Esuna.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2019-05-10 11:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is to get them off the front-line jobs immediately.

Then you wouldn't be using Sacrifice in the first place and would instead use a Yag + -na spell to the most dangerous one.

You can't remove Stun, Charm, Amnesia (before), or Terror with Esuna.
Again, sometimes there are too many ailments to remove immediately with -na spells.

Yes you're right, MOST of the time I would do that. I'm not saying I used Sacrifice on a regular basis, but I did use it. Sometimes you just need to clear the slate on a front-line player, and need to do it NOW so you can immediately get back to Curing. Sacrifice was the only way to do that.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Haxetc
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Haxetc 2019-05-10 11:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sacrifice was really good for the Ambuscade where thr MB would spawn the shadow that would skillchain you. You had to get lucky if you just used erase but sacrifice would remove all 3 debuffs the MB put on the MT and would be up every time. I know most ppl just turned around but you didn't have to if you used sacrifice.

Edit: The Tonberry Ambuscade
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-05-10 11:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

@Saevel, Sacrifice is underutilized but it's great for removing impact debuff as you absorb all the stat down in 1 spell (usually off whomever has hate) and staff down isn't as critical to WHM.

I hope they keep that multi-debuff removal on solace stance for stuff like that at least. I think it's broken atm?

My original statement was

Sacrifice was practically never used by any serious WHM. There were a handful of situations where someone would get hit by a zombie or multiple-stat down effect that could ~only~ be removed by sacrifice.

Impact falls into that range. They are currently talking about the whole Misery Sacrifice + Esuna where the WHM absorbs, Slow, Paralyze, Gravity, Defense Down, ect.. then tries to use Esuna to remove it from everyone instead of just removing it normally.

I think Sacrifice is currently bugged because it's supposed so remove all the debuffs like before and just not transfer them to the WHM.
By Isszo 2019-05-10 11:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

What I find interesting is that you can have someone use a status medicine on themselves and make yourself immune to that debuff before you even engage.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-10 11:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean yeah, Blind is clearly the only debuff you'd want on yourself over the front-lines... besides Dia, Bio, STR Down, DEX Down, VIT Down, AGI Down, INT Down, MND Down, CHR Down, Disease, Zombie, Flash, Bind, Gravity, Slow, Poison, Addle, Evasion Down, Attack Down, Accuracy Down, Magic Evasion Down, Magic Attack Down, Magic Defense Down... just off the top of my head

Absorbing status ailments is ~bad~, the healer is the most important / precious member of the group and should be protected at all costs. Deliberately hampering their performance is stupid.
And none of those ailments I listed have any impact on WHM's performance. Except disease which can rob some of my MP, but I'd rather it rob my MP than the front-line's TP. It's not like WHM runs out of MP anymore anyway. Edit: And Slow, of course I'd want to Erase that when I have a chance, but still rather it be on me than the front-line jobs because I can compensate for it by juggling my different healing spells instead of spamming the same one over and over.

Almost all of those can be erased/-nad and dont risk me dying to AoE or lower my cure potential.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2019-05-10 11:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Haxetc said: »
Sacrifice was really good for the Ambuscade where thr MB would spawn the shadow that would skillchain you. You had to get lucky if you just used erase but sacrifice would remove all 3 debuffs the MB put on the MT and would be up every time. I know most ppl just turned around but you didn't have to if you used sacrifice.

Yep, I also use sacrifice to remove a tank's def down/random debuffs in between healing wihtout abreaking a sweat.

Changing stances in a hectic situaiton is not a good thing for the healer. Cureskin is #1 in a healing situation and I tend to agree with @Banhammer's assestment it's not worth it to switch to misery to remove amensia for a primadonna DPS while losing all the solace buffs when barfire/baramensia /vex/attunement combos might be more useful for full resists instead

I think it puts Misery+Esuna back squarely as a situational stance, like its always been. It'll take the single target Erase-all under solace, but with yagrush and JSE neck, erase is the least of my concerns and afaik Esuna doesn't even work with yag
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-05-10 11:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes you're right, MOST of the time I would do that

Then you have just agreed to my original statement.

Sacrifice was practically never used by any serious WHM. There were a handful of situations where someone would get hit by a zombie or multiple-stat down effect that could ~only~ be removed by sacrifice. No WHM would want to willingly nerf themselves by putting Slow / Paralyze / Curse / ect when they could just remove the damn debuff safely with other spells and even take it off multiple people. The Cleric Neck removed the final use for Sacrifice (multiple erasable debuffs) with it's ability to remove two debuffs per target per cast.

Since then you've been arguing with a strawman.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2019-05-10 11:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Almost all of those can be erased/-nad and dont risk me dying to AoE or lower my cure potential.
Yes they can, but Erase only removes 2 at a time, and -na only removes one. Sometimes a DD has, say, 4 eraseable status ailments plus Bio or Slow. You don't want to cast Erase 3 times trying to get Bio or Slow off, especially if it's a fast-paced fight where you can't neglect healing duties for very long. That's where Sacrifice came in. One cast, and you're back to casting Cures. You can Erase them off yourself at your leisure, or just ignore them, but the point is you got them off the front-line jobs immediately.

On that note, what are you doing in AOE range on WHM in the first place? Why do you care about lowering your cure potential? What is even going to do that? MND Down? You worried about losing 10 HP from your Cure4?
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2019-05-10 11:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes you're right, MOST of the time I would do that

Then you have just agreed to my original statement.

Since then you've been arguing with a strawman.

No, I've been arguing statements like this:
Nothing about utilizing Sacrifice necessitated hampering WHM performance or putting them in danger, if the WHM had any clue what they were doing.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-05-10 11:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Haxetc said: »

Yep, I also use sacrifice to remove a tank's def down/random debuffs in between healing wihtout abreaking a sweat.

Changing stances in a hectic situaiton is not a good thing for the healer. Cureskin is #1 in a healing situation and I tend to agree with @Banhammer's assestment it's not worth it to switch to misery to remove amensia for a primadonna DPS while losing all the solace buffs when barfire/baramensia /vex/attunement combos might be more useful for full resists instead

I think it puts Misery+Esuna back squarely as a situational stance, like its always been. It'll take the single target Erase-all under solace, but with yagrush and JSE neck, erase is the least of my concerns and afaik Esuna doesn't even work with yag

It's a strategy decision made before the fight becomes, choose the mode and stay with it. Remember new-Esuna still removes all -na debuffs from a player, you don't need to be in Misery for that to happen. If you are in Misery then it also removes all erasable debuffs similar to Sacrifice in solace. Effectively in both stances you get a remove-all spell that works a bit differently in each.

The big benefit to this update is Esuna going from a 10 yalm spell to a normal 20 yalm spell making it actually usable for healers, and Sacrifice not transferring the debuff to the WHM in the first place. A WHM in solace should be able to toss in Sacrifices (once it's fixed) in between their cures, same with Esuna's. They are on different recasts so it's possible to be in solace, toss a Esuna to remove Blind/Paralyze and Sacrifice someone else.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-05-10 11:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I've been arguing statements like this:
Asura.Saevel said: ยป
Nothing about utilizing Sacrifice necessitates hampering WHM performance or putting them in danger, if the WHM has any clue what they're doing.

That statement is factually accurate and nothing you've said has refuted it.

Absorbing Paralyze or Slow is ~bad~ for the healer. Defense Down / Magic Defense Down is equally bad if your in any sort of serious fight. Same with Curse, HP-Down, Dia (that's defense down btw) and probably a few others if I take longer to think about it. IF it's not dangerous to you, then it's not dangerous to the front liners. If it is dangerous to the front liners then it's definitely without a doubt dangerous to the healer.

Healers dying is what will cause a wipe, as long as the healer is alive then a team can power through a bad situation. Our HP has been wildly out of skew to boss's offensive power for years now necessitating either safe ranged damage or curaga spam in fights worth discussing. Losing a DD is bad but not game over bad, losing the healer is game over bad.

So again

Quote:
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2019-05-10 11:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

That statement is factually accurate and nothing you've said has refuted it.

Absorbing Paralyze or Slow is ~bad~ for the healer.
And anyone advocating the use of Sacrifice in its prior form has been very clear that you would never use it to take Paralyze onto yourself. Slow isn't a big deal for the healer at all.

So who is the one arguing with a straw man?

Defense Down / Magic Defense Down is equally bad if your in any sort of serious fight. Same with Curse, HP-Down, Dia (that's defense down btw) and probably a few others if I take longer to think about it.
Not if you know how to stand outside AOE range. Which is WHM 101 knowledge.

Paralyze, Silence, and Doom are the ONLY ailments that are worse on the WHM than on the front line.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 80 81 82 ... 95 96 97