On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)
On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)
First Page 2 3 ... 63 64 65 ... 95 96 97
 Asura.Aeonova
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-04-20 20:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shiraj said: »
Buff Yagrush, make it erase 2 status debuffs by itself, 3 with neck.

or add an ability like Berserk, where it's up a little over half the time, but off the other, for making 'na AoE instead of limiting it to a single use. I dislike the only cooldown I really care about is charges on /SCH. This is fantastic idea that would be great actually (so they won't do it).
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-20 20:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Asura.Shiraj said: »
Buff Yagrush, make it erase 2 status debuffs by itself, 3 with neck.

or add an ability like Berserk, where it's up a little over half the time, but off the other, for making 'na AoE instead of limiting it to a single use. I dislike the only cooldown I really care about is charges on /SCH. This is fantastic idea that would be great actually (so they won't do it).

Theyd likely not do it because it diminishes yagrush. The problem is that divine veil feels almost essential for the job to be tolerable in the first place.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-04-20 20:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

...and yet Burtgang's exclusive "unique" Damage Taken II catagory has now been give to others so they're not above diminishing Mythics.

Asura.Finbar said: »
Also, I love that the most active topic for months in the WHM guide is whether anyone even enjoys playing the job.

Honestly, this probably should be a new thread in relation to speculation over the upcoming job adjustment they are working on, but here we are... on the WHM guide thread bumping it like the zombie necro'd thread it is. /reraise
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-20 21:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

/viruna thread
By DaneBlood 2019-04-20 21:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »

Well, no one really cares about your opinion. The fact is healing in 11 is boring, and not something people enjoy, so most people are forced to bot it. Unless whm/healing becomes (and is allowed to be) more than just looking at red bars all day, healer will always be a botted role.

And im saying this as a non bot whm.

oh no mr master of opinion has said his pieces.
I better not debate in a forum because somebody think his opinion is the only one that counts.

if you dont enjoy it dont dont it.
[+]
By Afania 2019-04-20 21:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a Yagrush, 15-year-WHM and yes, objectively WHM is not a whole lot of fun. Others already said it, but we really are limited because with a 3-second cooldown on casting another spell, as it literally makes it dangerous to cast a single other spell. People look down on us if anyone dies even if no one says it, even though plenty of other people could be backup healing in an alliance situation if they were paying any attention. It's also one of the few jobs where it can be dangerous to ever look away at the screen, for any moment. Even a few seconds of distraction can result in bad timing where someone gets critically damaged and the healer can't react in time before the next damaging move comes. Any job can suffer from distraction, but WHM is responsible for literally everyone in a party, sometimes even in an alliance, including the distracted ones.

Yagrush made the job a lot more tolerable, but it's still a job I play to be helpful more than any joy I get in playing the job.

Opinions....and I am surprised to hear career whm said its not fun.

but we really are limited because with a 3-second cooldown on casting another spell,

This 3 sec cool down is part of decision making and what makes the battle system fun. It forces you to make correct decisions on the fly or communicate more by asking a different mage job cover the healer while they cast a different spell.

Its not a bad design by itself without it we would just spam cure none stop like korean mmo lol.

People look down on us if anyone dies even if no one says it,

I dont see it that away. I see it as an opportunity to establish themself in a group.

Just sharing a side story, I mained cor for over a decade and before dyna D came out, for really really long time no matter how mucn time and effort one spent on this job, no one cared. While career whm easily become the core member of endgame group.

Tl;dr, the more responsibility one has, the more important they are. A job without responsibility = no one cares.

It's also one of the few jobs where it can be dangerous to ever look away at the screen, for any moment.

Thats what makes it fun though. I just did 2+hr of dyna D on DD and I almost fell asleep due to the complete lack of challenge lol.
By Afania 2019-04-20 21:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

DaneBlood said: »

Well, no one really cares about your opinion. The fact is healing in 11 is boring, and not something people enjoy, so most people are forced to bot it. Unless whm/healing becomes (and is allowed to be) more than just looking at red bars all day, healer will always be a botted role.

I better not debate in a forum because somebody think his opinion is the only one that counts.

Yeah, there are people out there find healing in 11 very fun, surprise surprise!
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-20 21:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
DaneBlood said: »

Yeah, there are people out there find healing in 11 very fun, surprise surprise!

There are, but they are few and far between. I like whm, but to say it is "fun" or "enjoyable" objectively is false, and theres a lot to be improved to make it actually enjoyable to more people than just those who like looking at red bars all day and thats it.

Its like bard. Bard should have been remade into cor then deleted from the game. Whm needs to be made more actually active and less binary, while not having everything hinging on the whm to clear content. Choosing to cast a non heal spell can force you to wipe due to global casting lockout.
 Phoenix.Gennss
Server: Phoenix
user: gennss
By Phoenix.Gennss 2019-04-20 21:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm enjoying it... especially when things go haywire :)
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-04-20 22:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gennss said: »

Getting yourself and others through it is what White Mage is all about.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-04-21 01:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

to say it is "fun" or "enjoyable" objectively is false

This statement is objectively false. "Fun" and "enjoyable" are subjective things hence your statement being false.

WHM has a lot of issues, most of which stem from the game itself, get over it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gennss
Server: Phoenix
user: gennss
By Phoenix.Gennss 2019-04-21 02:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Phoenix.Gennss said: »

Getting yourself and others through it is what White Mage is all about.

YES!
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2019-04-21 03:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sirris said: »
SimonSes said: »
Maybe S-E should adjust scholar and red mage to be more versatile so there's not one healing job way out in front of the rest.

What? WHM is THE healing. It should obviously be ahead of other jobs for healing. RDM and SCH are hybrid jobs. Beside helaing RDM can melee and debuffs with great success and also nukes quite well, at least solo MB on own SC. SCH can create skillchains and apply DoTs very well and is also not bad at nuking. Has also very potent Regen spells. WHM has mostly only cures, status removals and better raise. It obviously should be much better when he is so specialized in it and limited in everything else.

Name me one other MMO with a single healer class? XIV has 3 healers. World of Warcraft has 5. The healing role has largely been relegated to alts because its balance is garbage.

Sch is technically a healer here, but whm is the only healer because theyd need a full redesign of multiple jobs to have multiple healers be effective. If a sch could heal well, youd see far less whms, given a sch can heal and handle a blm run, so just level and gear sch.

Whm is botted often not because healing isnt balanced, but because healing in ffxi is boring, and whm is the hardest job to actually play, given a mistake on your job is a wipe, whereas a mistake on a DD is just a dead DD. People dont like that level of stress, yet SE keeps trying to increase the speed of fights, making the room for error or time to do something that isnt a heal very slim.

People like healers in 14 because they can do things other than cure, and are legitimate DDs in their own right. Hell, astro's rng buff mechanic is at least FUN.

The problem with healer balance here is that white mage has too many of the advantages:

WHM- can -na/Erase AoE with Yagrush, Divine Caress, BY FAR most MP efficient for cures with AF3 legs, best enmity reduction, huge boost to barspells, Boost spells, Cureskin raises effective HP, higher-tier Curagas, Arise

RDM- best enfeebles, Haste2, no Stona /SCH, better idle refresh, lacks AoE heals or -na, can become overextended on MP

SCH- best HoTs, longer-duration buffs, ok for efficiency, honestly better healer than people realize but still not good enough

Look, I'm a believer in a "hybrid tax" but you have to give parties a reason to bring RDM or SCH instead of WHM. If S-E really cared they'd give WHM some kind of damage dealing mechanic and spread healing abilities out between the three classes.

Also, real talk, white mage is my main. It is a miserable job to play and it has been relegated to bots mostly . Most geomancers and bards are trash-tier support who bubble or sing, and then afk. With the amount of status effects that we have to deal with, it's dangerous to cast anything but cures or -nas sometimes. It's not a coincidence that endgame shells and shouts are always looking for white mages. Most competent WHMs will outgear content and switch jobs...
By SimonSes 2019-04-21 04:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the reason for whm to be so good is actually zerg mentality being a king in western community. If you would use MNK and DDs with capped subtleblow, switching to hybrid sets and taking advantage of multistep SC, you would be able to easily cure with RDM and SCH but people wont do it, because its easier to overbuff your defence and offence and just zerg stuff with curaga keeping you alive.
By Afania 2019-04-21 06:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Choosing to cast a non heal spell can force you to wipe due to global casting lockout.

1) do a stoneskin/cureskin before you cast something else to buy some time.

2) talk to your geo "hey Im casting X next can you cover me for a sec"

Its not that serious....people have been doing 2) for spells like arise all the time.
[+]
By Afania 2019-04-21 06:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the reason for whm to be so good is actually zerg mentality being a king in western community. If you would use MNK and DDs with capped subtleblow, switching to hybrid sets and taking advantage of multistep SC, you would be able to easily cure with RDM and SCH but people wont do it, because its easier to overbuff your defence and offence and just zerg stuff with curaga keeping you alive.

You dont even have to switch to mnk. We've used sch rdm main heal multiple ambu months with war dd and it totally works. As usual people are just exaggerating.

If S-E really cared they'd give WHM some kind of damage dealing mechanic

They have, its called ambu club black halo spam, or r15 yagrush mystic boon spam.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2019-04-21 07:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I don’t see why you need to be able to deal damage to be considered fun, lol. Honestly, most people just don’t like supporting or not dealing damage and this goes way further than just WHM on FFXI. Most games with a healer or a support system have this “issue”: League, Overwatch, WoW (from what I’ve heard). You feel like a superstar when you’re pumping out damage but not when you’re the reason someone else is pumping out damage, I guess.
[+]
By Afania 2019-04-21 09:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xelltrix said: »
I don’t see why you need to be able to deal damage to be considered fun,

Whm is fun, without having to deal dmg, however if you do melee, it opens up even more gameplay strategy on this job. Its certainly more than a "watch HP bar" job. There are lots of decisions to be made. From spell prioritization, positioning to pre curing, pre-na etc.

One way to really enjoy the job imo, is to setup a performance goal on the job and try to meet that goal.

For example, when Im on healer job one of my goal(besides no death) is to land -na without letting DD see it retister on their screen. Its actually pretty tough to do without battlemod, I have to constantly watch mob animation red lines and move my macro to correct spell macro before the animation is over. It certainly requires a lot of reaction speed, more so than every other job.

However when I finally successfully pull off a perfect timing -na, the sense of satisfaction is incredible, like this:

People frenquently complained about ffxi does not require reaction speed, and here is one job that does and people still complain about it being boring to play. I find it contradicting.

Besides heal and na, it can also do crowd control and debuff on the same time, so its certainly more than just watch HP.

As far as melee goes, it opens up the other half of the jobs playstyle, more frontline cure focused. Switch to staff for shell crusher, swich to club for mystic boon and make more aggressive use of full cure, pure dps with blackhalo, /nin etc. Its something Im still trying to learn myself, and the melee aspect of the job is a lot to learn and experiment.

In ffxi every job has huge amount of potential to learn and experiment. Thats what makes a job fun. If you find the job not fun, try something new, or set a challenging goal and try to meet that goal. Try to cure/-na faster than you normally can. Try to melee and deal dmg. Try to do CC when its normally rdm geo brd's job and brainstorm for ways to do the job of 2 person. Or try whatever you come up with and want to experiment.

If your pov of the job is just to fill up DDs HP bar, of course its boring. And its not the jobs fault. Its the fault of "fill up DDs HP bar" being such a boring goal.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-21 10:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe S-E should adjust scholar and red mage to be more versatile so there's not one healing job way out in front of the rest.

What? WHM is THE healing. It should obviously be ahead of other jobs for healing. RDM and SCH are hybrid jobs. Beside helaing RDM can melee and debuffs with great success and also nukes quite well, at least solo MB on own SC. SCH can create skillchains and apply DoTs very well and is also not bad at nuking. Has also very potent Regen spells. WHM has mostly only cures, status removals and better raise. It obviously should be much better when he is so specialized in it and limited in everything else.

Name me one other MMO with a single healer class? XIV has 3 healers. World of Warcraft has 5. The healing role has largely been relegated to alts because its balance is garbage.

Sch is technically a healer here, but whm is the only healer because theyd need a full redesign of multiple jobs to have multiple healers be effective. If a sch could heal well, youd see far less whms, given a sch can heal and handle a blm run, so just level and gear sch.

Whm is botted often not because healing isnt balanced, but because healing in ffxi is boring, and whm is the hardest job to actually play, given a mistake on your job is a wipe, whereas a mistake on a DD is just a dead DD. People dont like that level of stress, yet SE keeps trying to increase the speed of fights, making the room for error or time to do something that isnt a heal very slim.

People like healers in 14 because they can do things other than cure, and are legitimate DDs in their own right. Hell, astro's rng buff mechanic is at least FUN.

The problem with healer balance here is that white mage has too many of the advantages:

WHM- can -na/Erase AoE with Yagrush, Divine Caress, BY FAR most MP efficient for cures with AF3 legs, best enmity reduction, huge boost to barspells, Boost spells, Cureskin raises effective HP, higher-tier Curagas, Arise

RDM- best enfeebles, Haste2, no Stona /SCH, better idle refresh, lacks AoE heals or -na, can become overextended on MP

SCH- best HoTs, longer-duration buffs, ok for efficiency, honestly better healer than people realize but still not good enough

Look, I'm a believer in a "hybrid tax" but you have to give parties a reason to bring RDM or SCH instead of WHM. If S-E really cared they'd give WHM some kind of damage dealing mechanic and spread healing abilities out between the three classes.

Also, real talk, white mage is my main. It is a miserable job to play and it has been relegated to bots mostly . Most geomancers and bards are trash-tier support who bubble or sing, and then afk. With the amount of status effects that we have to deal with, it's dangerous to cast anything but cures or -nas sometimes. It's not a coincidence that endgame shells and shouts are always looking for white mages. Most competent WHMs will outgear content and switch jobs...

Whm doesnt have "too many advantages". Whm has the best cures and best bars. Prot and shell is *slightly* better from merits (mostly shell, prot doesnt get much better at all).

Sch and rdm can -na everything. Cursna is weaker for doom removal, but thats about it. Unless you have yagrush, theyre on pretty equal fields. Hell, id go as far to say sch has better -nas barring doom removal due to better stratagems allowing them to effectively have a yagrush, whereas whm NEEDS the yagrush. Other than that, whm has an overpriced neck for erase +1. (Yes, the nq is good, but come on. Other jobs NQ can be 1m or under, and yall crafters are gunna gouge a whm item? And people wonder why no one wants to cure people)

So, unless you need really powerful bar spells or cure bombs, whm doesnt have anything over sch and rdm. They have better MP management (even with near free cures on whm, it has no inbuilt refresh. Rdm literally has unlimited MP and sch has sublimation and can sub rdm for convert), rdm has best enfeebles, sch can nuke very very well if theres a known safety period in the fight or give sch specific buffs (tell hate status, tp gen, enmity gen/suppression, embrava).

Rdm and sch are fine healers, and very capable at it.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-21 10:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Choosing to cast a non heal spell can force you to wipe due to global casting lockout.

1) do a stoneskin/cureskin before you cast something else to buy some time.

2) talk to your geo "hey Im casting X next can you cover me for a sec"

Its not that serious....people have been doing 2) for spells like arise all the time.

That requires your support to be able to heal (lowman cor or brd cant do that), requires them to not be doing another critical role (barspells this months ambu), and requires them to be competent (never a good assumption)
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-21 10:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You dont even have to switch to mnk. We've used sch rdm main heal multiple ambu months with war dd and it totally works. As usual people are just exaggerating.

If S-E really cared they'd give WHM some kind of damage dealing mechanic

They have, its called ambu club black halo spam, or r15 yagrush mystic boon spam.

Unless you have full relic +2, ambu club or r15 yagrush are completely worthless and youll still do 4k at best.
By Jetackuu 2019-04-21 10:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Supply: demand and it's not gauging. Other than that the neck isn't overpriced at all, +2 or bust.

Yagrush or bust.

WHM is best mage.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-21 10:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I don’t see why you need to be able to deal damage to be considered fun, lol. Honestly, most people just don’t like supporting or not dealing damage and this goes way further than just WHM on FFXI. Most games with a healer or a support system have this “issue”: League, Overwatch, WoW (from what I’ve heard). You feel like a superstar when you’re pumping out damage but not when you’re the reason someone else is pumping out damage, I guess.

Because you need to be able to do something /other/ than just being reactionary. Whm is a pure reactionary job. Unless youre fighting undead for banish, theres nothing you can really do proactively. Wait til person takes damage, cure. Wait til person gets debuffed, remove it.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-21 10:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Supply: demand and it's not gauging. Other than that the neck isn't overpriced at all, +2 or bust.

Yagrush or bust.

WHM is best mage.

When it costs the same to make as every other neck and is 8+x the price, its gouging, not supply/demand.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-21 10:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I don’t see why you need to be able to deal damage to be considered fun,

Whm is fun, without having to deal dmg, however if you do melee, it opens up even more gameplay strategy on this job. Its certainly more than a "watch HP bar" job. There are lots of decisions to be made. From spell prioritization, positioning to pre curing, pre-na etc.

One way to really enjoy the job imo, is to setup a performance goal on the job and try to meet that goal.

For example, when Im on healer job one of my goal(besides no death) is to land -na without letting DD see it retister on their screen. Its actually pretty tough to do without battlemod, I have to constantly watch mob animation red lines and move my macro to correct spell macro before the animation is over. It certainly requires a lot of reaction speed, more so than every other job.

However when I finally successfully pull off a perfect timing -na, the sense of satisfaction is incredible, like this:

People frenquently complained about ffxi does not require reaction speed, and here is one job that does and people still complain about it being boring to play. I find it contradicting.

Besides heal and na, it can also do crowd control and debuff on the same time, so its certainly more than just watch HP.

As far as melee goes, it opens up the other half of the jobs playstyle, more frontline cure focused. Switch to staff for shell crusher, swich to club for mystic boon and make more aggressive use of full cure, pure dps with blackhalo, /nin etc. Its something Im still trying to learn myself, and the melee aspect of the job is a lot to learn and experiment.

In ffxi every job has huge amount of potential to learn and experiment. Thats what makes a job fun. If you find the job not fun, try something new, or set a challenging goal and try to meet that goal. Try to cure/-na faster than you normally can. Try to melee and deal dmg. Try to do CC when its normally rdm geo brd's job and brainstorm for ways to do the job of 2 person. Or try whatever you come up with and want to experiment.

If your pov of the job is just to fill up DDs HP bar, of course its boring. And its not the jobs fault. Its the fault of "fill up DDs HP bar" being such a boring goal.

In most content whm cant CC/debuff. Their enfeeb skill is just too low, and what they do have even if you can land is often not worth casting. Your options are essentially addle and silence. Slow I and para I are overshadowed by other jobs and really arent that good in endgame.

Even then, you practically need to /blm to land a single enfeeb.
 Bahamut.Agerine
Server: Bahamut
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2019-04-21 10:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

WHM is best mage.

Excuse me?
[+]
By Afania 2019-04-21 10:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

In most content whm cant CC/debuff.

Huh? What are you talking about? I land debuff in VD all the time and Ive seen whm landed silence in wave 3 runs a few times.

Unless you have full relic +2, ambu club or r15 yagrush are completely worthless and youll still do 4k at best.

That was exactly what I said.

And its not like ambu club is hard to get to begin with.
By fonewear 2019-04-21 10:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

White mage is such a great job that no one wants to play it. Great job indeed.

LS event 17 DD one white mage...sounds about right.

Still hoping they delete white mage and replace it with a Yagrush trust.
 Bahamut.Agerine
Server: Bahamut
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2019-04-21 10:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Making melee sets on whm got me back into the job and much happier playing it as of the last few months. Whm is one of the most rewarding jobs in this game imho. I don’t mind the reactionary aspect of it since it’s in such a unique position.

Being able to bust out 20k Judgments in Ambuscade or dynamis is the ***though. Being able to swap stances on the fly and go backline If things are going south or go in to Melee with a group I trust makes the job sooooo much better to me.

I really wish Misery Stance would get a bit of an adjustment though, Cura is blah compared to curaga. I use both when frontline, and esuna is terrible compared to erase with JSE neck and Yagrush. Making Cura a micro Full Cure would be pretty solid. Esuna could remove multi debuffs, Cura could remove 1 as well as heal. Cmon SE do it!
By Nariont 2019-04-21 10:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

In most content whm cant CC/debuff. Their enfeeb skill is just too low

Has higher skill than GEO, gonna say geo cant debuff? A brd can debuff with a BiS kit and -ele resist song

Slow/para/silence/addle, all worth using, all potent if no resist.
Even then, you practically need to /blm to land a single enfeeb.

Please dont say ele seal. You got B- or +skill as /sch, and klimaform, instantly invalidates anything /brings except a 15m recast ja for 1 spell
First Page 2 3 ... 63 64 65 ... 95 96 97