First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 10 11 12
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 16:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
You realize the corporation would face consequences for firing someone high profile based on race/sexual orientation yeah? If you sign a contract to be a stereotypical 'leading man' (white, straight, sex appeal) and then you come out as gay you're probably going to get fired bro.

The point is that Paula Deen had been a big brand in the world of cooking/food and she decided to spoil that by making racist comments. You'd think a handler would have sat her down and taught her that if she wants to keep bankrolling money she should shut the *** up about blacks and keep talking about sticks of butter going into a heated pan.
Weren't her comments made a long time ago before her show?
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-10 16:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how the defense is religious freedom here. If I went on TV as a proponent of slavery as dictated by my holy books would you be so quick to stand by my right to be the worst humanity has to offer?

[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-10 16:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
I love how the defense is religious freedom here. If I went on TV as a proponent of slavery as dictated by my holy books would you be so quick to stand by my right to be the worst humanity has to offer?

Second best Leonardo Dicaprio film ever.

Dude no longer looks like a lady in man-drag.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 16:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Religion is a scam.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-10 16:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leo is a talented *** and I'm still wondering why he's been snubbed so by the Oscars. Guy has a ton of movies I enjoy.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-10 16:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leo is a talented *** and I'm still wondering why he's been snubbed so by the Oscars. Guy has a ton of movies I enjoy.

I think he's finally broken out of that whole Titanic stigma.

Blood Diamond or w/e it was, was a really good movie.
 Phoenix.Ragmar
Server: Phoenix
user: Ragmar
By Phoenix.Ragmar 2014-05-10 16:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Elvyn87 said: »
Phoenix.Ragmar said: »
So you would support the decision if it were a member of the LGBT community who were fired for their lifestyle, like an actor who was flamboyantly gay, as it might have offended viewers and effected corporate profitability?

No... because as people seem to have a hard time understanding these people did NOT get fired cause they where "Christian" (I use the term loosely). They where fired cause they actively expressed and involved them selves in offending "several" communities.

Now if you rework what you said to be closer to the actually cause of the show's shut down e.g." A gay person stood up and said I'm gay and I hate Christians, Muslims, Catholics etc etc..." Then yes I would support there show being shut down. Which is exactly what happened here.

They did get fired for their personal pro-christian beliefs. Where did these brothers say "I hate teh gayz, Jews, and Muslims. Oh and women." SOME people can't understand that when someone else has beliefs that offend you it doesn't make them offensive even if it is ignorant.

I'm not offended that John Thompson, former coach of Georgetown University, openly said he would always choose a black player over a white player because the black player would run faster and jump higher. That was his opinion and he was entitled to it.

If a White coach made similar statements about basketball IQ and shooting percentage, with white players versus black players, the shitstorm would be epic.

Feign ignorance all you want.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-10 17:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »

Horrible actor. Glad he didn't win the Oscar this year. The Aviator was his ONLY good film.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 17:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

'Growing Pains' was good.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-10 17:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

Horrible actor. Glad he didn't win the Oscar this year. The Aviator was his ONLY good film.

Titanic, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed, Blood Diamond, Shutter Island.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-10 17:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »
another fun fact, you CAN in fact legally be fired for being gay in 29 states, whereas religion is protected nationwide. that's the whole purpose behind ENDA, so can we quit pretending that gay people are somehow more protected than the religious now, mmmkay?

What you fail to realize is that is a completely separate issue that Christians REALLY(and I mean this with the utmost sincerity) care nothing about. Christian's main beef is with the hole definition of matrimony blah blah. Marriage =/= holy matrimony is what I tell Christians, very different procedures.

I don't think any(or at least most) Christian would care if sexual-orientation would become deemed a protected class by the SCOTUS.

That's one of my main beefs with the whole umbrella term "anti-gay." I don't believe gays, I don't think most couples now a days for that matter, are entitled to holy matrimony. But that doesn't make me anti-gay.
 Phoenix.Ragmar
Server: Phoenix
user: Ragmar
By Phoenix.Ragmar 2014-05-10 17:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps I'm wrong here, they used their show to be proponents of anti-gay rhetoric? I mean if they went on their HGTV show and made comments about things not related to their show then forgive me I did not see that part of the story.
By Elvyn87 2014-05-10 17:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Titanic, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed, Blood Diamond, Shutter Island.

Um Inception! C'mon it was a good movie!
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-10 17:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So you would support the decision if it were a member of the LGBT community who were fired for their lifestyle, like an actor who was flamboyantly gay, as it might have offended viewers and effected corporate profitability?

No... because as people seem to have a hard time understanding these people did NOT get fired cause they where "Christian" (I use the term loosely). They where fired cause they actively expressed and involved them selves in offending "several" communities.

Now if you rework what you said to be closer to the actually cause of the show's shut down e.g." A gay person stood up and said I'm gay and I hate Christians, Muslims, Catholics etc etc..." Then yes I would support there show being shut down. Which is exactly what happened here.

They did get fired for their personal pro-christian beliefs. Where did these brothers say "I hate teh gayz, Jews, and Muslims. Oh and women." SOME people can't understand that when someone else has beliefs that offend you it doesn't make them offensive even if it is ignorant.

I'm not offended that John Thompson, former coach of Georgetown University, openly said he would always choose a black player over a white player because the black player would run faster and jump higher. That was his opinion and he was entitled to it.

If a White coach made similar statements about basketball IQ and shooting percentage, with white players versus black players, the shitstorm would be epic.

Feign ignorance all you want.
A lot of it comes down to how an opinion is stated, but once an opinion is stated, it is still up for scrutiny.

Having a religious belief is not something offensive, unless presented in an offensive way.
I've advocated that religion itself isn't inherently bad in other threads, and if it helps you to find happiness, and be happy, without the hate, and whatnot, good for you.

Having a differing opinion, isn't necessarily offensive either, regardless of stance. So, at this point, I can choose to believe you're more or less playing devil's advocate (pun not intended), and trying to formulate a response or argument without the emotional involvement, that so often clouds a speaker's words.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-10 17:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I was talking about his pre-Inception work as I also liked that and Django. I haven't see Wolf on Wall Street but I will be soonish!

Edit: Or Gatsby because ***, Great Gatsby.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-10 17:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I was talking about his pre-Inception work as I also liked that and Django. I haven't see Wolf on Wall Street but I will be soonish!

He sniffs some coke off a hookers butt that's the highlight of the movie.

I forgot about Shutter Island. I'll admit that. But seriously Titanic?! really?! The only thing about the movie was the amazing, fabulous, stellar,...drum roll...
By fillerbunny9 2014-05-10 17:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

let me refer you back to my post on the last page:

'As leader of OSA, Benham has condemned the interfaith Sandy Hook memorial, protested in front of mosques while shouting “Jesus Hates Muslims” and blamed the Aurora shooting on the Democratic Party, which he said promotes a “culture of death.”

He has also protested LGBT pride events, interrupted church services during a sermon by “sodomite Episcopalian bishop” Gene Robinson and was found “guilty of stalking a Charlotte abortion doctor after passing out hundreds of ‘wanted’ posters with the physician's name and photo on it.” OSA* even blamed the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on abortion rights'

bolding mine for emphasis

yup, totally not related to any actions, all because they say they're Christian.

their show was canceled before it was made because of this stuff. HGTV was informed of these things and had second thoughts about putting them on the air for fear of controversy/protest.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-10 17:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Forgot "Catch Me if You Can" with Leo as Frank Abignale Jr.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-05-10 17:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Catch Me If You Can. Not only did he bang a prostitute Jennifer Gardner, but he paid with a fake check, and he got change back from her.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-10 17:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Only in a thread about gay fascism can we talk casually about the movies Leonardo Dicaprio was in, and actually liked.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-10 17:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Only in a thread about gay fascism can we talk casually about the movies Leonardo Dicaprio was in, and actually liked.

I only titled it Gay Fascism in honor of Newt Gingrich lol. The term is comical and stupid.
By Elvyn87 2014-05-10 17:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That's because like most "discussions" of its nature it will never see any form of closer, It follows a very simple pattern;

Also forgot about Catch me if you can! Also a good movie.
By Jetackuu 2014-05-10 17:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »
These two didn't lose their show because they said "We're Christian/Catholic/Whatever". They lost their show because they publicly demonstrated that "these other groups of people deserve less. Why? Well, because values!" and HGTV said to themselves "We are probably going to get a lot of controversy about this that we don't want. Let's just can the show and sidestep all of that."

Who cares so long as they deliver a good program. Paula Dean's show was high in ratings. She was an amazing *** cook. Who cares if you don't agree with her stance on African-Americans. I wasn't watching Paula Dean's show to listen to her political views i was watching her show for fattening recipes.

People need to come to this actualization that everyone has different views and opinions. Just because certain opinions are a little more ignorant than others, doesn't give any group the right to publicly scrutinize them. Freedom of speech is a two way street, you are a hypocrite and more importantly a bigot if you can't understand that.

Seriously all the *** gay supporters clamming down programs like this act like conservatives are out to perform Matthew Shepard part II. LGBT in this country need to put the poor victim card away in this country, it's getting ridiculous and embarrassing.
Apparently the network cares, and possible viewers.

Everyone does have different views and opinions, yet when one's are bigoted and they make them public, the public has a right and a duty to react.

This doesn't have to do with just gays...

It's also a direct violation of the law to fire someone for their religious beliefs!

It's not against the law to fire somebody for making bigoted statements, then hiding behind their religion.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 17:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
It's not against the law to fire somebody for making bigoted statements, then hiding behind their religion.
What if the religion preaches bigotry?
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-10 17:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I subscribe to the church of GTFO
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-05-10 17:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Then it's hate speech, and not protected.

edit: the same as sacrifices aren't protected, etc.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 18:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Is faith healing protected?
By Jetackuu 2014-05-10 18:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Under the same standard, it shouldn't be.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-10 18:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Under the same standard, it shouldn't be.
Unfortunately, there have been court cases that sided with faith healing, that ultimately ended with the victims suffering horrible pain until they died.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 18:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember someone who posted here a while ago who said something along the lines of being gay in a sin, but only god can forgive them, so they love gay people, even though it's a sin.

What's that considered?
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 10 11 12