Is FF14 Talk Making Ppl Quit?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Is FF14 talk making ppl quit?
Is FF14 talk making ppl quit?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-08-08 10:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Swingandamiss said:
Eventually, won't SE shut FFXI down, and proceed with 14? Also, does anyone have any idea if we will be able to transport our characters over to 14?

This is the stupidest comment I hear all the time too.

If you transfer a completed character to a new game then what's the point of buying the damn game!

That's like saying you want to start on the last level of a game. Sure it's fun for a while but you'll get tired and then start complaining that FFXIV is dying.
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-08-08 11:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If i'm not mistaken freaking Everquest 1 is still being played by people. FFXI servers will not shut down for a long time, just probably combine or adapt to lower player bases over time.

FFXIV isn't making me quit... here's something that people don't really think about. Great graphics are nice, new things are fun to try. Me personally i still get a kick out of playstation 1 and NES/SNES games. I always go back to my roots and i have a feeling FFXI is no exception.

I'll probably try XIV but i'll never devote another 5 years to a video game ever again. I'm on my last leg of college and FFXI has been a great time filler and escape from all my hard work.

Hell i even saw an Age of Empires thread, i still play that and II myself, and FFXI will always be there to play for me as well.

Honestly i DO hope people quit for XIV so it weeds out the people who have stopped making this game fun.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-08 11:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
If i'm not mistaken freaking Everquest 1 is still being played by people. FFXI servers will not shut down for a long time, just probably combine or adapt to lower player bases over time.

Yup. SE have confirmed that as long as people still play FFXI, there will still be a FFXI for them to play, and they'd be *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE not to. Not like they're going to take FFXI's 7 year old servers and use them for XIV. FFXI will still be profitable for them until there's probably only about 1000 people in the world still playing. That's still like $15,000 a month, pretty sure it's not gonna cost that much to run a server for 1000 people.

As people leave they'll drop and condense servers, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see the whole Everquest 1 and 2 scenario all over again.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-08-08 11:29:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Clinpachi said:

Yup. SE have confirmed that as long as people still play FFXI, there will still be a FFXI for them to play, and they'd be *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE not to. Not like they're going to take FFXI's 7 year old servers and use them for XIV. FFXI will still be profitable for them until there's probably only about 1000 people in the world still playing. That's still like $15,000 a month, pretty sure it's not gonna cost that much to run a server for 1000 people.

As people leave they'll drop and condense servers, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see the whole Everquest 1 and 2 scenario all over again.

Isn't this the same thing lol? Apples/Oranges {Do you need it?} haha.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-08 11:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand... Same as what?

I was merely agreeing with you that there's a good chance that FFXI and FFXIV will both go on for years to come, just like with Everquest 1 and 2 (actually I know nothing about Everquest, but I heard lots of people still play 1... more or less than number 2 I don't know O_O)
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-08-08 11:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
I don't understand... Same as what?

I was merely agreeing with you that there's a good chance that FFXI and FFXIV will both go on for years to come, just like with Everquest 1 and 2 (actually I know nothing about Everquest, but I heard lots of people still play 1... more or less than number 2 I don't know O_O)

Basically that people who played Everquest 1, when EQ2 was announced this is the same exact argument. "I'm leaving for a better everquest". "I'm staying and playing this casually".
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
Server: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2009-08-08 11:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
Honestly i DO hope people quit for XIV so it weeds out the people who have stopped making this game fun.

Me too.
 Bahamut.Revision
user: Carbon4
By Bahamut.Revision 2009-08-08 11:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the people in my LS and friends aren't very positive about 14. General consensus is some will try it but end up back at 11 and SE will fail hard.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-08 11:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really understand that attitude. How many FF games have failed hard? A couple haven't been all that great, crystal chronicles and X-2 is all I can really think of. I just don't understand how people can have so little faith, I assume it's mostly people that haven't played any of the previous games that made the FF genre so famous. We've seen so little of XIV so far and it already looks amazing. Each to their own I suppose though.

(I'll be keeping my XI account while playing XIV too though, a little for the friends that are staying behind and a little for "just in case" :p)
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2009-08-08 11:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

What I don't understand is why people are still talking about it as if it's an updated version of FFXI. From what I understand, it's a completely different game. The only similarities are the races.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-08-08 12:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phyrefly said:
What I don't understand is why people are still talking about it as if it's an updated version of FFXI. From what I understand, it's a completely different game. The only similarities are the races.

You should check out the updated XIV website/screenshot thread, it's almost like a total remake.

Once again you have a jungle like city for the taru's.... a Kingdom... and what looks like Jeuno... no joke. All of the races are the same with different names with a little updated look. Theres even the same face types.

I'll admit the game looks decent and it probably won't fail or be THAT bad, but where the hell is the originality? I am honestly NOT impressed yet.
 Ragnarok.Rusko
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rusko
By Ragnarok.Rusko 2009-08-08 12:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally dont care about 14. I already hate low leveling, what the hell makes them think i want to start over after playing for 6 years. <|Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.|>
 Unicorn.Cycl
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Cycl 2009-08-08 12:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

EVERYONE will be 'low-leveling' however....
 Siren.Rainewaters
By Siren.Rainewaters 2009-08-08 12:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

IMO, ff14 is ffxi on drugs...prettier graphics, but it looks like they took ffxi, WoW, and other games and just merged em together into ff14. To me, it looks like nothing new. At all.
 Asura.Slamm
Server: Asura
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-08-08 13:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

SE wont shut this game down totally until it stops making profit

i understand if someone wants to leave for 14 but leaving now is silly, it wont be out for a while in usa and Europe at least.

most likely they will release it sometime in 2010 in japan, then 1 year later in america and then another year for europe, just like they did with this game.

so once again itl be a race to catch up with the japanese
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-08 13:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't make sence to release the same information about FFXIV in Japanese and English at the same time and have the release dates apart.

I believe they will release the game at the same time for JP/US/EU. It wouldn't make sence to lose money for the first year cause of lack of funding. Why do you think they allowed FFXI to come to the US?
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2009-08-08 13:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Relating to thread subject:

It would be pretty silly to drop everything on FFXI for something that not only isn't out yet, but is a completely different game in of itself. Would be similar to dropping Halo 3 to play CoD4. You can't even compare. However, if people grow jaded to what's left of FFXI and wish to await for the bigger better new MMO from SE then that's certainly respectable. However, to me FFXI is still fun, I still have much I want to do and still have friends to play with, and overall still enjoy the game for what it is, I will continue playing. And I am sure SE will continue providing service as long as it generates a healthy income to them.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-08-08 13:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
It doesn't make sence to release the same information about FFXIV in Japanese and English at the same time and have the release dates apart.

I believe they will release the game at the same time for JP/US/EU. It wouldn't make sence to lose money for the first year cause of lack of funding. Why do you think they allowed FFXI to come to the US?

yeh that would be the smart thing, but SE always do their own thing lol
 Ifrit.Clouse
Server: Ifrit
user: Clouse
By Ifrit.Clouse 2009-08-08 13:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
I don't really understand that attitude. How many FF games have failed hard? A couple haven't been all that great, crystal chronicles and X-2 is all I can really think of. I just don't understand how people can have so little faith, I assume it's mostly people that haven't played any of the previous games that made the FF genre so famous. We've seen so little of XIV so far and it already looks amazing. Each to their own I suppose though.

(I'll be keeping my XI account while playing XIV too though, a little for the friends that are staying behind and a little for "just in case" :p)

FFXII failed hard too i heard, not to mention the 5.99 price tag in less then a year after release.
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2009-08-08 13:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

last i heard when it was announced at E3 they said it was gonna release worldwide simultaneously. as far as the topic goes, i haven't noticed anymore people stop playing any more than the normal amount. i personally will be staying in XI til the end without ever touching XIV. to me its looks and sound like crap so. seems everything so far is stepping in the wrong direction. it very well could be a fail for SE, which would be their first for a FF game even though they've had a couple bad ones like VIII,X-2,XII.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-08 13:37:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Boundsoul said:
seems everything so far is stepping in the wrong direction. it very well could be a fail for SE, which would be their first for a FF game even though they've had a couple bad ones like VIII,X-2,XII.

Whoa Whoa Whoa....

FFVIII isn't bad. Its a great storyline with a good battle system. I don't see how anyone would consider that as a bad game >.>

XII maybe, the battle system sucks.

XI-2 yeah, battle system and story sucked monkey balls.
 Asura.Xenophire
user: Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2009-08-08 13:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The only reason people didn't like VIII was because of the Junction System. Honestly, I think VIII was a great game. The Junction System was much like the Sphere Grid; it takes getting used to to fully use it.

I personally loved XII. :X The storyline was interesting and Balthier was sex on legs. Yeah, the battle system was completely different but again, it takes getting used to.

X-2? Yeah, I want my money back.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2009-08-08 13:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as I despised the pretty princess dress-me-up Charlies Angels theme of FFX-2. I have to admit it was a fun game, but an utter facepalming failure of an FF.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-08 13:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Junction System = win

How else were you going to be a level 10 and have 100+ Magic on all your characters?

(Secret=Kill fishes for their fins, and make them into Water magic, thats your best spell until near the end of the 2nd Disk :D)
 Bahamut.Dracondria
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-08-08 13:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Junction is ridiculously easy to master. Spam Draw on powerful magic and set it to HP and STR and you can just kill stuff with hits.
 Ifrit.Clouse
Server: Ifrit
user: Clouse
By Ifrit.Clouse 2009-08-08 14:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Dracondria said:
Junction is ridiculously easy to master. Spam Draw on powerful magic and set it to HP and STR and you can just kill stuff with hits.

Did that in ifrit's cave at the start and junctioned thunder elem-atk, bout 3 shotted the 2nd/3rd bosses (both weak to thunder)
 Cerberus.Boundsoul
user: Boundsoul
By Cerberus.Boundsoul 2009-08-08 14:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

i can't stand the characters or game design of VIII and the HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE *** gunblade.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-08 14:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Boundsoul said:
i can't stand the characters or game design of VIII and the HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE *** gunblade.

Everyone has their game they don't like.

We aren't judging you....much....:D
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-08-08 15:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

ii and iii were *** (nes ones) i hear the iii remake is good

x-2 was awful..

and the whole 15 year old blond kid saving the world thing they did with xii was pretty gay, but the rest of the game owned

tidus sucks too
 Shiva.Drteeth
Server: Shiva
user: Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-08-08 16:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
Phyrefly said:

You should check out the updated XIV website/screenshot thread, it's almost like a total remake.

Once again you have a jungle like city for the taru's.... a Kingdom... and what looks like Jeuno... no joke. All of the races are the same with different names with a little updated look. Theres even the same face types.

I'll admit the game looks decent and it probably won't fail or be THAT bad, but where the hell is the originality? I am honestly NOT impressed yet.

They said they would make the races similar so people could potentially re-create their FFXI characters, therefore feeling more "at home" and comfortable. The entire game is new. Some areas look ~similar~, but you can say that about any other game's areas. A giant open field doesn't look similar in any other game? A city with big bridges doesn't look similar to one in another game? It's just because people are in "FFXI Mode" that they see everything that could be potentially similar between the two games.
Either give XIV a chance or don't. Save all judgments for when the game is released and we actually get some hands-on time with it.