Is FF14 Talk Making Ppl Quit?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Is FF14 talk making ppl quit?
Is FF14 talk making ppl quit?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Karusan
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-07-02 20:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, it has made people quit. No it's not a significant amount of people.

When FFXIV came out I was talking about it to two of my friends that used to play FFXI, a week later they're back on FFXI piss farting around. FFXI for them has an end, it's not something that is going into infinity like it was before, so they will only be playing this until FFXIV comes out and they have something new to do.

For a lot of people I know, they've done everything they want. It's not so much that FFXIV has been announced but that the game is naturally reaching an ending for them. I personally think SE has made a really good move in releasing FFXIV because they know that the playerbase is ready to move on, SE had the choice of losing their market share or delivering something new to hold on to those people.

Personally I'm kind of approaching it metaphorically like I have a year left to live and I have no heirs. Whatever I do now is for me alone, even though I'm still doing events 5 nights a week, but I'm gonna piss all my gil and time up the wall on whatever I feel like without caring about the consequences. That Gjallarhorn that I haven't started will remain unstarted because I know I'm not going to be around for the next 3 years, that Mythic Weapon can remain unfinished because I know I'm not going to earn 90mil in the next year or have time to gain the benefits of what the weapon will give me. So I'm basically just gonna throw my money into Salvage gear, leveling jobs up and giving a bunch to my friends that have come back to the game so they can enjoy themselves too.
 Caitsith.Surge
Server: Caitsith
user: Surge
By Caitsith.Surge 2009-07-02 21:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk people can leave and people can stay but ive put on 3 years into this game and i want to play it until its cancelled. Or i cant pay for it lol but the rumors are in caitsith that if people leave for ff14 then the servers will get shorter and if they get to short they wil be merging servers so idk whats going to happen.
 Bahamut.Nomadikhan
Server: Bahamut
user: Nomad
By Bahamut.Nomadikhan 2009-07-02 21:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i dunno, ffXI has been an interesting experience as far as a badly programmed MMO is concerned. i doubt i'll leave one badly programmed mmo for a newer badly programmed mmo.... that will porbably lag even more in high traffic areas than what ffxi does.

hmmm, well, if all of FFXIV's event's rewards are rr/ex then yea its not worth my time... {Moogle Shield} {Trash Can} {You can have this!}
 Caitsith.Supervillain
Server: Caitsith
user: ryder75
By Caitsith.Supervillain 2009-07-02 21:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm one of those people. I will go to ffxiv. And yes there is no point of obtaining anything, im just chatting and helping friends and i will give all my gear away to my LS friends that are staying in ffxi.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-07-02 21:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Just like you shouldnt be counting the days untill your death. you should be having fun and trying to achieve your goals in ffxi.
 Asura.Wyl
user: Wyl
By Asura.Wyl 2009-07-02 21:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess its as true as the rumors ppl killing themselves since Michal Jackson died. Ppl are jumping ship, cause FFXIV is due out NEXT YEAR!

If ppl leave the servers, boohoo takes the elitists out of the equation imo, and bot farmers and whatever reasons they wanan leave , let em leave. If they wanna leave FFXI for a game that hasn't even reached Beta release yet, let em.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-07-02 21:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope. I will definitely try and potentially change over to ff14 when it comes out, but it's not hindering what I do in ff11 at all. I've always enjoyed the journey and not the end result, so that won't change. Epeen doesn't matter to me either.
 Remora.Pyp
Server: Remora
user: pyp
By Remora.Pyp 2009-07-02 21:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Nomad how ya been?

Good points all around. I think I have observed some very strange behavior and heard many comments since the announced launch (year) of ffxiv.

1. People are either not playing or not playing as hard, that is definitely certain since on Remora the avg. population has dipped quite a bit since E3.

2. I have found that many people are not making commitment sounding remarks about ffxiv in part because they are afraid that their linkshells will think "Why work on the Ghorn for "so-and-so" when they/we are all just going to move to ffxiv?" In order to stay a priority for drops it makes sense to at least appear to be committed to ffxi long-term.

3. We should remember when WoW came out that thousands of ffxi players left to "test the waters" and the vast majority of them came back a few months later. From that experience we can see why most are saying they will wait and see...

4. As nerfed as ffxi has become, the ghorn and mythic weapons and salvage gear remain woefully out of my reach as is the case for many others who have started the game in the last year or so. Thus the question "Why...?" remains. What with all the crap and drama you have to manage to obtain some of these items it simply deters people from committing to ffxi beyond the launch of ffxiv.

5. Ignoring the fact that people "can" do it all in ffxi with a somewhat large time investment, the age of ffxi has its serious draw backs in and of themselves. One of the biggest being that the more a server is populated with end game oriented veterans the less it seems people can find help in getting to end game content. I don't think it's rash to say that the vast majority of old timers have a serious case of "been-there-done-that-itis." Which makes starting fresh infinitely more appealing to the ffxi new comers. Additionally, I have met dozens of uber end-gamers who simply cannot cope with the idea of becoming a n00b once again.
 Odin.Karusan
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-07-02 21:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Just like you shouldnt be counting the days untill your death. you should be having fun and trying to achieve your goals in ffxi.

Correct. But if I'm going to die I'm not going to spend the rest of my life working day in day out so I can afford my house/car/childrenthatidonthave. I will do the things that give me enjoyment. Grinding gil etc for money to cover relic/mythic isn't a fun experience for me so I've switched back to the things that I do enjoy, linkshell activities and leveling.

The death of FFXI will be signaled when RMT stop selling gil.
 Asura.Wyl
user: Wyl
By Asura.Wyl 2009-07-02 21:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Think of this way guys/gals, less ppl in 1 server means they'll prolly merge means you'll have more players like you, that enjoy trying to beat missions, over giving a crap that FFXIV being released next year.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-07-02 22:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Wyl said:
If ppl leave the servers, boohoo takes the elitists out of the equation imo, and bot farmers and whatever reasons they wanan leave , let em leave. If they wanna leave FFXI for a game that hasn't even reached Beta release yet, let em.

I don't see how you figure it's the elitists, botters, and RMT who are automatically going to leave the game. People at the very top of the achievement list here seem the least likely of all the players to leave, as they would be leaving a lot more behind than someone like me, who started December of last year.

True elitists get their fun out of being superior to other players at any costs, not exploration and social interaction. Starting over again at ground zero probably isn't an attractive option for a true elitist.

As for the botters and rmt, i have a feeling that Square has taken lessons from FFXI and has made FFXIV a lot more bot/rmt resistant, at least initially.

So at least until exploits and bots are found/created for FFXIV, i see the elitists and botters being the last to leave FFXI, not the first.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-07-02 22:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm.

You're probably right about exploits. I didn't think about that.

I still think that applications like Apradar, FFACE, and ffxiapp come later in a games life cycle though. Those things take time to develop. Admittedly, i'm no expert and i could very well be wrong, coming very late to ffxi, but i bet those things weren't around the first couple of years.
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-07-02 23:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I see why people might think this. It really depends on how good ff14 will be. UO is still being played 15 years later but they never sabotaged themselves with another mmo. EQ was another story. Their idea of 2 mmos didn't work out.

Personally, I'll play both for a while. I know a lot of my old ff11 friends that quit are coming back for 14. The thing that will hurt are the ppl who won't pay for both. We'll have to remanage linkshells, dynamis, limbus, etc.
 Diabolos.Swingandamiss
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Swingandamiss 2009-07-02 23:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Eventually, won't SE shut FFXI down, and proceed with 14? Also, does anyone have any idea if we will be able to transport our characters over to 14?
 Odin.Synyster
user: Synyster
By Odin.Synyster 2009-07-03 00:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Verace said:
FF14 sounds like WoW for 7 yr olds play the game a month and ur done time sink not allways a bad thing lest u wont b bored after max lvl and fully geard ppl seem to think FFXI is ending but its not most of my friends still like FF11

uhhh what?
 Kujata.Gooby
Server: Kujata
user: Mutilator
By Kujata.Gooby 2009-07-03 00:14:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Swingandamiss said:
Eventually, won't SE shut FFXI down, and proceed with 14? Also, does anyone have any idea if we will be able to transport our characters over to 14?

They said you won't be able to import characters... and FFXI will keep on going as long as there is money being made by SE from it. There are several MMOs still alive and kicking despite newer versions of them being released.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-07-03 00:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Swingandamiss said:
Eventually, won't SE shut FFXI down, and proceed with 14?

As long as SE is making a profit on it, FFXI will be going strong. As the individual server populations start getting low, they'll probably merge the servers...so I'd expect FFXI will be going strong as long as there's enough people to keep a single server going well ^^

Everquest has been out over 10 years now and it's still chugging along. I wouldn't be too concerned anytime soon...
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-03 00:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, don't be concerned about FFXI closing down, as long as people still want to play, then there'll be a place for them to play. There are 20(?) servers open at the moment, so even if a ***load of people leave they'll just merge servers and keep it going. And just from looking at this thread it's obvious that quite a few people will be sticking with FFXI.

Also, no, characters will not be transferrable, it's a totally new game and you will be starting from level 1 like the rest of us. Your /flist will apparently remain though, and you will be able to talk to your friends playing XI while you're exploring the world in XIV, so you don't even really have to say goodbye to all your old friends who are "jumping ship".

Also, have a little faith, as someone mentioned, a lot of XI players went to WoW when it first came out, and then came back to XI, but WoW wasn't released that long after XI and totally did their own thing. SE have had 7 years to learn from the failures and successes of not just FFXI, but WoW and the other MMO's too, so don't expect them to make a flop.

Realistically, we know sweet *** all about FFXIV, but considering I've been a fan of the FF series for ~13 years and never played one that I didn't like, I really can't relate to the people that think SE are a shitty stupid company. Admittedly there are a lot of things that XI could have done better, but I still love the game and have had years of fun with it. Feel free to wait and see for yourself, but I personally have every faith that SE will come out with an awesome game that will keep us hooked for another 10 years to come.
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-07-03 09:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

As one of the ppl that will stay in FFXI till the very end (or so i think at the time) imo FFXI will be better after FFXIV will be out...

Because you will only have the players that really like the game... so you will lose both the bad players (the ones that dont care about doing any effort to up their game) & you will lose those "I'm better than you all" players (those just want to say they are the Sh17 and everyone else sucks, they will be doing it in FFXIV)

anyway i think it might have helped those players feeling a bit tired to decide to quit
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-03 09:41:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, I really don't think the types of players will change at all, you'll see a lot of people quit, but there's still going to be idiots that don't know ***and there'll still be ***-wipes who trash talk everyone without 3 relics.
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-07-03 10:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Honestly, I really don't think the types of players will change at all, you'll see a lot of people quit, but there's still going to be idiots that don't know ***and there'll still be ***-wipes who trash talk everyone without 3 relics.

DUDE!!! Let me dream ;)
 Fairy.Ryuushin
user: jc1104
By Fairy.Ryuushin 2009-07-03 10:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Excesspain said:
It's probably going to be run through PoL again.

Kinda like how you can pick FFXI or Tetramaster from the games menu.

They specifically said they won't use POL.
 Ifrit.Posenose
Server: Ifrit
user: Posenose
By Ifrit.Posenose 2009-07-03 11:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont think FFXIV is making people quit. Personally, i think XIV will be at least a year before it actually gets off the ground. The leveling system sounds too out-of-whack for my tastes. Sounds like the system they have for The Last Remnant.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-07-03 12:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
Blazza said:

DUDE!!! Let me dream ;)

I'm with you buddy. It may take a while, but I think things are gonna relax a bit on the servers overall. When there isn't as many people to choose from you gotta make sacrifices. May not be as OMFG ELITE as it is a lot of the time now, but then again, maybe peeps will lighten the *** up and actually enjoy the game once in a while...
 Siren.Skitles
Server: Siren
user:
By Siren.Skitles 2009-07-03 12:14:59
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Saw the same thing when WoW released, some of us really old school players remember the drop of players from ffxi when WoW was released lol. I swear the servers practically cut in half. It will probably happen again with this game too, its expected.
 Asura.Xedal
user:
By Asura.Xedal 2009-07-03 13:18:26
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

You do need to remember, that WoW wasn't a FF game, and alot of those who play FFXI are diehard fans of the series. So chances are not alot of people will return to XI, however it is truely a case of wait and see until this thing is unleased on the world.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [36 days between previous and next post]
 Unicorn.Moldtech
Server: Unicorn
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2009-08-08 07:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV with GM's and SE's mentality all over again from square one, <No, thanks!> I leave FFXI it won't be because i went to FFXIV
 Siren.Broly
Server: Siren
user: Broly
By Siren.Broly 2009-08-08 10:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people will leave and some will stay. On FFXI its hard to get a pty and low to no chance of getting CoP done unless you get a static. Its hard to get anywhere in a game that dont have a constant flow of new people comeing in that get into game. FFXI is practically full of endgame people and the noobs come in and cant get help like most of us did when we started. I want to get into FFXIV asap and get a job lvled to 75 then knock out all missions lol. Im stuck on CoP 4-2 and cant get past it. Im ready for something new. New places, not same places said to be in the past. New, unknown mobs. Im ancious to see what improvements have been made, but on the same note not trying to set my standards too high. If its anything like when they came out with FFXI then FFXIV should be amazing. When they came out with 11 they where ahead of there time. This is all my opinion though.