Subjob For RUN?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Subjob for RUN?
Subjob for RUN?
First Page 2 3 4 5
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-03-28 16:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought Tummie showed it was just weapon skill?

EDIT: wait, resolved the equation in the wrong order. should be 834 x MAB with two runes.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/115399-Rune-Fencer-Findings?p=5652737&viewfull=1#post5652737
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 16:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
I thought Tummie showed it was just weapon skill?
oh it was skill? sorry bout that :<

could be it has a bonus for main. i wanna see what itll do with 3 and capped Gsword tbh

yea, now that i think of it when i leveled i gained like 6 damage with double flabra Lunge >_>
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-03-28 16:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Tummie worked that out. It's about 1500 x MAB.

RUN seems like a potentially-not-terrible sub for BLU but it's going to live or die by Lunge, which doesn't have to do much more than 1000 unresisted to carry its weight as free damage, I'd think. But I don't even have RUN unlocked yet; what's the recast on Lunge?
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 16:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

RUN seems like a potentially-not-terrible sub for BLU but it's going to live or die by Lunge, which doesn't have to do much more than 1000 unresisted to carry its weight as free damage, I'd think. But I don't even have RUN unlocked yet; what's the recast on Lunge?
5 mins i believe.

Lunge is pretty cool and free reduced magical damage/resistance from Pflug/Vallation is nice too.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-03-28 16:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

5 minutes?!?!?

Nevermind!
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 16:48:19
Link | Quote | Reply

5 minutes?!?!?

Nevermind!
4 minutes sorry* still a bit...but atleast you can build up a 2x in 20 mins and a 3x in 30
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2013-03-28 16:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's 3 minutes but I'll have to double check that when I log in later.

EDIT: Never mind, go with 4 minutes
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 16:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
I think it's 3 minutes but I'll have to double check that when I log in later.

EDIT: Never mind, go with 4 minutes
you might be right, i cant exactly read my ability timer cause its placed over my chat log >_>
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-03-28 19:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not 1500 base, the base changes with skill and the runes act as a multiplier. I listed the formula already. 424 is native skill but you can merit it, further there is a ring with +5 skill on it you can use. At 440 skill (base + 8/8 merits) with three runes your looking at 440 * 1.25 * 3.0 for 1650 then multiplied by MAB/MDB. It's also not unresistable, it's subject to the same resists that normal magic attacks are. On boss's which have an identifiable elemental weakness you could reliably do 1.5~2.0 depending. It takes your runes though so there will have to be considerations of opportunity cost relative to the 6s pause time your gonna have to suffer to reinstate those runes.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-03-29 09:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Since lunge can Magic Burst I can't wait to try it out as a tanking sub for blu actually should be quite nice from the looks of it.

From dragoon an analysis of subs kindof fits except for hb triggers and pole-arm ws lol

Ophannus said: »
/SAM= Bread and butter, gives us the most tools to get the job done and happens to be the best DD option in 95% of cases(except in VW). Use this always unless indicated otherwise.

Pros:
+Hasso, sTP for TP gain and haste
+Sekkanoki for self skillchain or TP overflow(Drakesbane->Stardiver= Gravitation)
+Seigan&Third Eye will keep you alive in situations where you have hate i.e temporarily tanking, soloing old content like Limbus, too much hate etc)
+Demon Killer/Warding Circle help for demons which aren't that uncommon these days i.e Ig Alima, Dynamis-Xarc mobs.

Cons:
-A big con used to be healing but now with Restoring Breath this is mitigated to a great degree.
-Can't remove debuffs/ailments
-Attack is lower than with /WAR, although the pros really do outweigh this, especially the more magic haste you have.
-Lack of provoke may be a problem in low man situations where the tank is dead and you need to grab hate off of mages.

/WAR= Mainly for voidwatch or epeening damage in Abyssea.
Pros:
+Massive attack bonus from Attack at the cost of defense. In situations like VW where TP gain is more related to regain/Dusty Wings and not Store TP or attack speed, this plays a more vital role in overall damage than anything /SAM will net you.
+ 10% double Attack is very nice, can proc on Jumps and Weapon skills for curiously high damage/TP gain on a proc, can give this trait to the wyvern with Wyrm mail.
+Provoke actually is very handy when low manning content with a lot of 'lightly armored' jobs or mages and the main tank dies. Since our jumps either make 0 hate or shed hate, this can actually help you take control of the situation while everyone gets back on their feet.
+Defender isn't worthless, it can come in handy in the situation above, though not as effective as Seigan+Third Eye but maybe after the DEFENSE update, it will have more use, especially in conjunction with a PDT set.

Cons:
-While Berserk is nice, it can lead to you dying very fast. When berserk wears, most of the benefit of /WAR is lost while you're waiting for the recast.
-/WARs other job abilities like warcry are lackluster and don't really benefit you or your party by much.
-Lack of sTP traits means it's harder to get a 5-hit build which greatly impacts TP gain and the amount of swings necessary to reach 100%+.

/RDM
This is really the go-to subjob for soloing for many, many reasons. The spell list is huge and /RDM has many tools for a variety of situations and is my personal favorite.
Pros:
+Haste, a 3 minute 15% haste spell is extremely useful.
+Dia/Dia II, while dia makes a decent pull spell or HB trigger spell, Dia II is amazing for soloing semi hard or difficult fights or for chaining a lot of exp in quick succession. 10% defense down is nothing to scoff at especially when combined with Angon for a total of 35% defense down. To give you an example of how amazing that is, if you assume you have 1000ATK and the mob has 1000DEF, 35% defense down is about equivalent to you having +50% attack.
+Enspells, while seemingly weak, 9-12 damage every hit over 3 minutes can add up, especially on mobs that take extra damage to magic or have invincibility or something where they are immune to physical damage. Curiously enough the damage from an enspell is added on to your jumps and weapon skills although not indicated in the log, the damage is added already to the final damage total. Empathy this to your wyvern for extra benefit.
+Ice Spikes: I don't know if it's intentional but from my anecdotal experience, Ice Spikes' paralyze sticks about 15-25% ignoring level difference. Meaning the mob will receive the effect of the paralyze about 1/4 or 1/5 hits. As for the proc rate of the actual 'paralysis', it's about as potent as Paralyze II I'd wager. When I solo DC mobs in Dynamis Qufim as DRG/RDM, Ice Spikes paralyze has saved my life and procs extremely often, about 20-25%, I've seen it proc 4x in a row before, it's amazing.
+Cure IV, enough said
+Shell II, ProtIII, enough said
+Barspells: Amazing HB triggers and decent vs magic
+Sneak/Invis: enough said
+Dispel: Useful!
+Refresh: Godsend if you don't have autorefresh gear or ethereal earring yet!
+Convert: See Refresh
+FAST CAST: Amazingly useful, helps more than you think for HB triggers
+Magic Defense Bonus: Again helpful more than you realize
+Stoneskin/Blink: good as prebuffs before a difficult fight
+Aquaveil: prevent pesky interruptions to your HB trigger. Godsend on a HF mnk mob or fighting multiple mobs

Cons:
-Hard to remove debuffs, have to rely on Wyvern remove breaths
-Lower defense against very physical strong targets(like Orcus) in cases like that, /BLU shines a great deal more than /RDM.
-Lack an OMGWTF Divine Seal+Cure IV
-Lack of Banish could hurt you against skellies

/WHM
Pros:
+Can remove debuffs
+Banish: Useful vs skeletons
+Emergency Cure V with CureIV+DS, good if Wyvern dies and you need a little extra healing.
+Most of the same benefits as RDM, not gonna type em out

-Cons
-Everything black magic or trait related that /WHM lacks from /RDM is a con. Really /WHM is inferior and almost never used over /RDM or /BLU.

/BLM

--Don't bother with this, the only useful thing about this is Stun which is overrated if you're soloing unless it's for a specific mob/fight where you absolutely need it for some reason.

/BLU
-Practically as useful as /RDM, slightly different

Pros:
+Cocoon is mainly why this is used, +50% defense for 90 seconds means you can get crazy damage redux for certain hard fights
+Sprout Smack is a great HB trigger spell, a bit more MP than Power Attack or Rabbit Kick but the chance of sticking the added Slow Effect is quite high and the slow effect is moderately potent ~10-15%.
+Sandspin, this is similar to Dia in that the Accuracy Down almost always lands which could help if you're fighting something hard and need the extra debuff.
+Metallic Body: Can give you a decent 100ish Stoneskin, good prefight.
+Headbutt is another good HB trigger though more expensive, I alternate Headbutt with Sprout Smack, stun is moderately accurate.
+Refueling: Not as good as haste but better than nothing.
+Can set spells for traits i.e Killer or Auto regen, helps decently; also setting spells modifies your base stats, can get a decent boost to HP, VIT and STR by setting certain spells.
+Due to how BLU spell damage calc works, if you're fighting TW mobs, Bludgeon or Jet Stream actually deal quite high damage (400-600)
+Can dispel

Cons
-Lacks sneak/invis
-Lacks a defense down dia
-Unless you have a way to recover MP with gear or items, can run out of MP
-Wild carrot isnt as good as cure IV
-Poor against magic, no MDB or shell or barspells
-Must learn spells
-Some spells will 'fail to activate' if they fail an accuracy check.
-Less utility spells
By Gypsine 2013-03-29 18:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Heres a different one RUN/NIN
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-03-31 10:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok the copy pasta about /BLU lacked a few important things that would apply to RUN. Namely job traits.

Utility Spells:
Cocoon (use this instead of defender) +50% Defense
Refueling (if you don't have a healer nearby) +10% Magic Haste

Job Traits
Attack Bonus I (+10)
Defense Bonus I (+10)
Magic Attack Bonus I

Might be some situationaly useful stuff, you got blank gaze and geist wall though they may be resisted into oblivion.
By Xellan 2013-04-02 09:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

From the way that this job has been playing for me so far, I don't think it is so much of a "tank" as it is a mage killer. If it is a "tank", it's much more of a tank in the way that war/drk/sam/mnk are tanks, through sheer damage output. The difference here is that it can withstand harsh magic, which sets it apart from those other jobs can. I simply don't think that /war is going to be nearly as useful as /sam. Third Eye, Seigan, Foil and Phalanx are there to handle the physical attacks, Liement is there to convert magic damage taken to mitigate some of the physical damage that gets through, and the rest of the wards are there to aid in reducing magic damage and ailments received. Embolden may have many uses, but I've found it to do most good with barelements (303 with capped Enhancing and no gear adjustments).

While wards seem to (I haven't confirmed this) work like Sentinel in terms of how they generate hate, the best way to maintain hate through Ward durations is through consistent damage output.

I think that if we're going to be taking down HNMs with substantial magic damage output, we're going to see 2 or 3 RUN/SAM would be preferrable, kind of like how NIN/DRK back in the day was used to manage Proto-Omega. This would also make the most use of the damage potential from Gambit opening to Lunge, as I don't want to eliminate my runes for a single moment while solo tanking a magic damage NM.

I grant that Artifact/Relic/Empyrean could change all of this, but this is how I see the job functioning in the game's current paradigm.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-04-02 09:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

run/nin has been very solid for the nms ive taken on so far (see findings thread for details) and you can hold plenty of hate in lowman

run/dnc will be a solid option vs mobs that dont wipe buffs, run plays like an eva tank that can null out nukes. when i do glavoid ill probably run/dnc, and if foil works as i hope itll be duoable if not soloable

im sure you could find uses for /sam, but another job will do it better... theres nothing you need to make skillchains for these days that need old school hnm strats ontop of large nukes, run cant hit like a heavy dd yet

war could be a fair option if you work the eva tank very well or are doing older content

and again /drk could be an option, more so when they add haste to last resort for /drk

hell for abyssea content it may be valuable to /mnk on mobs with a high attack rate, counterstance full time and alternate dodge and swordplay
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-02 10:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

What content are we talking about here? Since Naakuals and Skirmish are still a big ? let's be more realistic.

/war: best dd sub for gs, zerk, attack and da all go fill run offensive shortcomings.
/sam: probably best in group play where you don't have 100% invincibility all the time. Hasso, zanshin, stp, sekka, med and third-counter for bad moments. Gs only.
/blu: attack and mab at the same time, plus cocoon. Refueling is moot since someone else is supposed to give you better haste.
/rdm: fastcast, haste and cures. Suppose could have some interest for solo, but I dunno.
/sch: cures, erases. Probably better off /dnc for this.
/nin: dw3, shadows. Axes.
/dnc: hastesamba, dw2 and dyna procs. Axes.
/drk: once they change LR it'll be pretty good for gs.

Everything else: nope.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-04-02 10:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

run needs better axe access
By kenshynofshiva 2013-04-02 10:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Ok the copy pasta about /BLU lacked a few important things that would apply to RUN. Namely job traits.

Utility Spells:
Cocoon (use this instead of defender) +50% Defense
Refueling (if you don't have a healer nearby) +10% Magic Haste

Job Traits
Attack Bonus I (+10)
Defense Bonus I (+10)
Magic Attack Bonus I

Might be some situationaly useful stuff, you got blank gaze and geist wall though they may be resisted into oblivion.

Don't forget killer traits the more I think about it the more I like it can't wait to test at 99. Also those lovely stats from spells don't suck you have 30 points and 14 spells to set:

Level Available Job Trait
4 Beast Killer
16 Auto Regen
20 Lizard Killer
24 Clear Mind
30 Resist Sleep
32 Magic Attack Bonus
34 Undead Killer
38 Attack Bonus
38 Rapid Shot
40 Max MP Boost
40 Defense Bonus
44 Plantoid Killer
46 Clear Mind II

Need to test out a self skillchain and magic burst with lunge to see how that works should be fun....

I am planning to see how well blu/run works to tank with magic barrier and seline coat and /run should be fun...
 Fenrir.Sigfreid
Server: Fenrir
user: Sigfreid
By Fenrir.Sigfreid 2013-04-02 10:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I've only been playing about with run at low level, but I did notice that the Rune additional dmg procs take prio over drain samba, could someone do a quick test to see if that's the same case with haste samba?

Also, everyone seems to forget that /war also gives you access to defender, yes it cuts your attack and DPS, but gives you a boost to defense, which might be worth using to make sure you live through a fight (if tanking)
 Odin.Arkista
Server: Odin
By Odin.Arkista 2013-04-02 10:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lunge recast is 3mins.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-04-02 10:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

runes take priority over all sambas

defender isnt practical it doesnt save run much
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-02 10:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The moment you pop defender you're surely not tanking anymore and it becomes pointless. If defense is risky simply don't use zerk and apply dt gear when necessary. I think defender is only used from paladins when supertanking.
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-04-02 10:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive been doing herc slash > herc slash mbing with lunge and doing 3.6k-6k depending on mob. I havent done it with gambit on yet so that should make it do quite a bit more. This is in adoulin areas not abyssea.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sigfreid
By Fenrir.Sigfreid 2013-04-02 11:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

RUN has a higher base dmg than PLD to start with, so would be in a better position to tank than PLD in that point of view, RUN doesn't have the cure spells though, which were a good source of enmity for PLD when tanking.

If your zerging, then there is very little point in trying to tank and you should be focusing on your DPS, which I'd agree with you there, defender would be a waste of time
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-02 11:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Damage is still a major source of enmity despite the update. Using defender decreases the enmity decay but drops your enmity generation a lot.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sigfreid
By Fenrir.Sigfreid 2013-04-02 11:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, but if you can hold hate with spells, meleeing and JA's against other DDs, then increasing your survivability (counting that you could still hold hate with the cut in ATK) would be a good thing, would it not?
By Eijii 2013-04-03 05:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I was playing with /nin and it was super easy to solo T-VT stuff out in the new areas. Fights were Smooth and not too much MP was wasted so going for a second mob or a even a third right after would be no problem. Ruinator is still very very nice so trust that you will pump out nice dmg with axes. All in all it really gave me a nostalgia of rdm/nin tanking/soloing in the past.. truly enjoy the job and hoping that Merits Catagory 1 and 2 as well as AF will make this an even better job.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-04-03 05:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sigfreid said: »
Aye, but if you can hold hate with spells, meleeing and JA's against other DDs, then increasing your survivability (counting that you could still hold hate with the cut in ATK) would be a good thing, would it not?

No, no no no no

You won't be holding hate very long with defender up. You pop defender and your damage output and thus your primary enmity generator goes down the toilet. Those DD's are not using defender and if anything they should be using berserk whenever it's up. The -25% defense won't hurt them much if any at all. Very soon they will fly past you in CE and your no longer the "tank".

It's for these reasons that DD co-tanking was very popular at 75. People complain about "DD tanks" now yet back in 2005~2006 we were using one or more WAR/NIN's to tank. NIN/WAR's also fall into this category as before the 2H buff they would generate a ton of hate (comparatively) via damage. After the eventually 2H buff it would be WAR/SAM tanking still. MNK's and SAM's used to tank also, I know because I had TE merits on SAM just for that purpose (ohh so long ago).

So if your a RUN looking to "tank" then you must adopt the mentality of a DD. I'm not talking one of those new idiot bandwagon ones that just spam two to three macros. I mean a real DD, one who has multiple TP and WS sets for different situations. Who has a "oh ***don't die" emergency set along with a hybrid "take less damage while still smacking it in the face" set. Adapt your mind to that, play aggressively, know when to turtle up, know when to unturtle and learn to communicate with your healer because your success or failure depends entirely on that communication.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-03 05:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Hybrid turtle-dd will be tough being on light armor(Mekira makes a huge difference for 2handers).
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-04-03 05:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Hybrid turtle-dd will be tough being on light armor(Mekira makes a huge difference for 2handers).

Yes the fact that RUN is on light armor kinda hurts as the best DT stuff is Heavy.

Twilight Neck, Mollusca Mantle, Dark rings (or Jelly Ring, you'll be way past 50% MDT cap) all help out. There are some other -DT pieces but it gets slim pickings and forces you to chose between Haste and -DT.
 Phoenix.Tsuekasa
Server: Phoenix
user: Zantherr
By Phoenix.Tsuekasa 2013-04-09 11:00:35
Link | Quote | Reply

so from what I've been seeing /drg would prove no real benefit to Run then.

Almost wonder why I leveled it to 50 in the first place.