Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » iiPunch - Monk Guide
iiPunch - Monk Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 62 63 64 ... 363 364 365
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-12-03 10:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you Vujan! Definitely gonna check it when I get home.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-12-05 10:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone tried out the reforged gloves yet? I'm kinda hoping they give a bonus to boost that makes it worth using again.

Or the Focus effect on the crown?

Also, if they are increasing stats on all the reforged items, I think the gloves (maybe a couple others) might end up being BIS for Victory Smite.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-12-05 10:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

No, boost isn't worth using. bumps it up to 20% though. Head is 5 more acc on focus, I'd assume feet are the same for dodge.
 Phoenix.Neosutrax
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutrax 2013-12-05 11:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

20% is pretty huge.. Seems like anytime you're not in a zerg setting getting double marches, you should be using boost.

Am I completely wrong here?
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-12-05 11:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It was 18.75 before, and no it wasn't worth using. Also any setting without double marches is pretty rare lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Tanag
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tanag
By Quetzalcoatl.Tanag 2013-12-06 10:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The increased damage from using boost doesn't compare to the attack round lost from the animating/ja delay sadly.
[+]
 Phoenix.Neosutrax
By Phoenix.Neosutrax 2013-12-06 10:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes thank you, I've played the game more than a week lol. There is however, a point at which boost provides an advantage. If you're not getting marches, you should be boosting.

Dramatica's argument is that those situations are rare. I'm not arguing against that (even though I play mnk most often solo/duo). I'm merely stating the correct information to give out to the playerbase is: Don't use boost when you're above X attack speed and not already attack capped, not "don't ever use boost."
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-12-06 11:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The point at which Boost provides an advantage is if you are slowed or your pdif is tragic in which case you should probably be fixing other things.

In most content where you don't have any sort of healer, you are generally fighting something where your attack is already capped.
 Phoenix.Neosutrax
By Phoenix.Neosutrax 2013-12-06 11:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Or, as I said, boost is useful anytime you're not receiving marches.

But hey, let's make generalizations that we're always attack capped and boost is so bad we should only use it when slowed and gimped in gear.

The point here, is identifying the situations (limited or not), where boost is applicable.

NO ONE is arguing that boost should be used in traditional Mnk Zerg settings when you're getting fully buffed and near/at the attack cap.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-12-06 11:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The point here is that you are identifying where boost would be useful instead of making it not useful.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-12-06 11:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

there are no situations where boost is useful
 Phoenix.Neosutrax
By Phoenix.Neosutrax 2013-12-06 11:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

False.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2013-12-06 12:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Neosutrax, I see the point you're trying to make... but what situations are you referring to? What can you solo right now (as even getting the Haste spell puts Boost in jeopardy when your gear is otherwise up-to-snuff) that you are going to be Attack-poor on for weaponskills?
 Phoenix.Neosutrax
By Phoenix.Neosutrax 2013-12-06 12:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The situations are limited and I'm not really interested in getting into an argument over it. The places I'd most likely use boost would be:

Mnk/dnc in WK reives with limited buffs.

Mnk/thf (or /dnc) in Salvage 2 against certain bosses/NMs.

Fodder mobs in Delve when buffs haven't been reapplied.

Certain situations where you're focusing on SC.

Perhaps it's irrelevant even in those situations (I don't know the defenses of some of the bosses, so perhaps I'm already attack capped with food). I just like to know when/where each ability is useful, even if rare. If the answer is "only in these limited situations when not getting marches and below X attack", then I'm fine. I'm just not happy with blanket "it's never useful" statements.
 Odin.Spyderhawk
Server: Odin
By Odin.Spyderhawk 2013-12-06 12:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are not satisfied with certain input then I suggest you recreate the situations you just stated and test your damage yourself. As you've already been giving several opinions completely answering your question.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-12-06 17:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sigh.

Assuming attack is somewhere around 1000, and that you're using Anchorites for 20% Boost.

When getting haste:

If cRatio is roughly 1.85 (ie: mob defense no lower than ~540), then a boosted Smite will end up with nearly identical DPS as an unboosted Smite. That cRatio is the point where adding Boost takes you right up to the 2.25 cap.

As the unmodified cRatio increases above that point, the excess additional attack is wasted, reducing its overall value to below parity.

As cRatio drops from that point (ie: fighting tougher mobs), Boost gains value relative to DPS parity.

When you add in double Marches:

Against mobs with no level correction, it will never be worthwhile to use Boost.

Against mobs with significant level correction (eg: Ig-Alima), it is worthwhile to use Boost until the attack cap is reached (ie: when def down reduces their defense below about 510, given the same setup as above).

Without any outside haste, you have additional clearance going beyond the 2.25 cap. That is, you can 'waste' some of Boost's effect and still have it be useful. For the above scenario, you're good down to a mob defense of about 480 (what would be a 2.5 cRatio if you didn't hit the cap) with level correction, or 510 defense without level correction (~2.35 uncapped cRatio).

Since mobs of interest are generally only Adoulin mobs, or are low enough that level correction no longer applies, we can assume there to be no level correction for the general rule. As such, the summary is:

With Marches+Haste: Never Boost
With just Haste: Use Boost when below 1.85 cRatio (ie: mob defense of 550 or higher)
Without Haste: Use Boost when below 1.95 cRatio (ie: mob defense of 520 or higher)

Scale the defense values to account for your actual attack.

Note that the level 102 Chapuli (found in Sih Gates, immediately connected to Ceizak) has a defense of 534. You can expect mobs in higher level Adoulin areas to have notably higher defense than that.
[+]
 Phoenix.Neosutrax
By Phoenix.Neosutrax 2013-12-06 17:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish I could make internet love to Motenten.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-12-06 17:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Notably, if you have haste it's a good assumption you have at least dia 2.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-12-06 18:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Right. Target would then be mobs with 610 defense or higher (natively) if you have a whm with Dia II, or 650 and up if you have a rdm with Dia III.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-12-09 12:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I should have clarified that I wasn't just hoping for a stronger boost. I feel that's a bit narrow-minded to only think of it having one function. I would rather see the new Anchorite Gloves give some additional enhancement to Boost.

Something like "Instead of only increasing damage for the next 1 hit, it increases the damage of the next 5 hits."

Or something like "Boost also increases the critical hit rate of your next attack(s) by X%"

I'd just like to see monks get some usefulness out of some of their job abilities. Some flavor in Boost via an augment of the ability through Anchorite Gloves would be nice.

Would also like to see something with Counterstance too. Like a unique affix on the legs that allows you to maintain your defense, or a portion of your defense when using Counterstance.

Maybe my hopes are too high =/
By pchan 2013-12-10 11:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth relic proc rate didn't change with the previous VU, here is a large sample against ice pillars from col. reives in kamihr drifts showing 11.38% +/- 0.95%

It's still 12% (main hand only).
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2013-12-10 11:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Given only DPS was updated (and skill stats added), that isn't surprising. Still disappointing that it only applies to the main hand, though.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2013-12-10 14:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Set proc of 10% Crit dmg + worth it?

Seems like you give up a lot of acc+
By pchan 2013-12-10 17:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh the new achorite+1 feet don't seem to be better TP pieces than otronif >_>, quite surprising. Is it me or the whole otronif sucks for TP still, all this for gimp ilevel 119 ? Hoping for them to be better on WS.
By Bleusummers 2013-12-10 17:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

So ya wouldn't recommend any of the anchorite +1 pieces? Kick attacks will never be useful again :( I reminisce about the Dune Boot Sky gear days lol
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-12-10 17:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleusummers said: »
So ya wouldn't recommend any of the anchorite +1 pieces? Kick attacks will never be useful again :( I reminisce about the Dune Boot Sky gear days lol
when they were worse than haste boots
By Bleusummers 2013-12-10 17:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol yeah Fuma's were good option also too :)
By Valthongir 2013-12-10 18:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Noob MNK questions:

Why is accuracy such a big deal for MNK tp sets, and is there a cap the guide's sets have that isn't listed? There's also little/no comments of the other stats (sTP, SB, ect...) as part of the tp sets. It feels like the gear is mostly "grab all the accuracy gear!" Just confuses me when trying to gear between mega bosses and old content that doesn't have as high ACC requirements (unless I'm horribly wrong).

Also, food? Rcb or sushi or what?

I've mostly played DRG and SAM in the past, but wanted to try out MNK. Needless to say, MNKs gear differently than x-hit builds on my other jobs, and I'm lost.
 Asura.Daemonarch
Server: Asura
By Asura.Daemonarch 2013-12-11 00:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

okay so I'm pretty sure this was mentioned before but I was just skimming over the pages and couldn't find it. I don't have empy h2h, i use oat atm. should I just stick with spiral or should i unlock victory smite to use with my oat. I'm not going to get 119 vere anytime soon.
By fractalvoid 2013-12-11 00:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

get smite
First Page 2 3 ... 62 63 64 ... 363 364 365