First Page 2 3 4 ... 363 364 365
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2013-03-12 15:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Otomis said: »

This might be a little out dated now. But it is a start. A goal for most Mnks is about 700 chakra with a 20/tick regen. When combined with other regen gear running from battle to battle can net a significant amount of HP.

The only improvements that I know about are ammo (Brigantia/Iron Gobbet) and waist (Caudata) - both are just 1 more vit each - unless there's some random augments running around out there, that's a really good set.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
Server: Ragnarok
user: Baelfael
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-03-12 15:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jrpg said: »
I only ask about Guard because I was under the impression through years of lurking that Guard (and skilling it up) was crap/a waste of time, and I haven't actually tested it myself. I believe Tigerwoods had Guard capped at one point and said it made no noteworthy difference. And generally speaking, there has been plenty of misinformation spread around about it.

I also figured I'd mention it now to get it out of the way. My Guard is at 240ish and never paid attention to it.
Only time I ever really noticed it in action was during campaign and at 75 cap very rarely. In the same breath, I don't get the opportunity to test it much on newer content, but whenever I do, I don't see it proc much/notice it at all. And that's with capped skill at 99.
By Otomis 2013-03-12 15:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I only ask about Guard because I was under the impression through years of lurking that Guard (and skilling it up) was crap/a waste of time, and I haven't actually tested it myself. I believe Tigerwoods had Guard capped at one point and said it made no noteworthy difference. And generally speaking, there has been plenty of misinformation spread around about it.

I also figured I'd mention it now to get it out of the way. My Guard is at 240ish and never paid attention to it.

I have always had guard capped. for short stint after abyssea it was hard to recap it till they changed how you gain skill ups. It is a very important skill for Mnk to have capped. The higher your skill the more you have a chance to negate damage. That being said however, in the post abyssea era of the game None care too much about defensive qualities. Only to build jobs to out put as much DD as possible fastest amount of time. VW enhance this as it is a glorified abyssea.

So unless SE plans to push the game back into more of a strategy MMO where balance of offense and defense are required for success (which I do not see happening) It will play little function any longer.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-03-12 15:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Terminus said: »

This might be a little out dated now. But it is a start. A goal for most Mnks is about 700 chakra with a 20/tick regen. When combined with other regen gear running from battle to battle can net a significant amount of HP.

The only improvements that I know about are ammo (Brigantia/Iron Gobbet) and waist (Caudata) - both are just 1 more vit each - unless there's some random augments running around out there, that's a really good set.

6 vit byakko haidate. Wasnt asking for this build to be posted necessarily for my benefit, was just so the guide is more complete as a whole, whether or not we have the room to carry a chakra build

Sehachan : "Besides, situational or not a guide should cover everything."
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
Server: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-03-12 15:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always treated Guard as "hey, the RNG decided to stop being a *** for ten microseconds!" and nothing else.

Nice when it triggers, but it doesn't do enough, often enough, to make it worth gearing for/spending copious amounts of time skilling. Also, unlike the old days, it'll more or less just go up naturally now.
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2013-03-12 15:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I have always had guard capped. for short stint after abyssea it was hard to recap it till they changed how you gain skill ups. It is a very important skill for Mnk to have capped. The higher your skill the more you have a chance to negate damage. That being said however, in the post abyssea era of the game None care too much about defensive qualities. Only to build jobs to out put as much DD as possible fastest amount of time. VW enhance this as it is a glorified abyssea.

So unless SE plans to push the game back into more of a strategy MMO where balance of offense and defense are required for success (which I do not see happening) It will play little function any longer.

It's not that people didn't care about defense. It was that against anything you needed to take less damage against, your guard rate was floored regardless of skill level. It was a waste of effort to cap when it really didn't offer much.
[+]
By Otomis 2013-03-12 15:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Terminus said: »

Funny thing on the augment while trying for perfect crit rate Byakko's I got +6 VIT on my kitty pants so I use those for chakra set lol. It was random and happened at same time I got 4% crit. so I just kept em.
[+]
 Sylph.Malizia
user: Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-03-12 15:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
I'm a fan of simplicity in naming. No three word titles for me. I wouldn't want to run the risk of nose-diving my way into the depths of the THF and DRK thread titles, anyways.
So mean! :p

I don't know a thing about Monk, so I can't comment about anything serious on your guide, but I do like the tables. Also, as you pointed out, there are a LOT of stars. Surely you can just use the bullet point character • instead if you don't like the star look?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-03-12 15:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Star's cuter.
[+]
By Otomis 2013-03-12 15:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Of topic kinda, but even so. Mnk + all other DPS.XML is anyone planning to "please" update them so you can select atmacites aiding in calculating gear sets for VW.
 Sylph.Malizia
user: Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-03-12 15:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Star's cuter.
Somehow, I don't think Jinjo is about being "cute".
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2013-03-12 15:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Malizia said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Star's cuter.

I dunno about that...
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-03-12 15:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

As someone who had capped for over 2 years, it procced often on even match and lower.

For anything stronger,
w/o whoring guard+ gear in every slot, there was no noticeable diff in guard rate than when my guard was 84 (which is what my guard was when my mnk first hit lv 75)
[+]
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
Server: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-03-12 15:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Malizia said: »

Well, he's hardly writing this guide for himself.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-03-12 15:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of the time...!

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕△◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
[+]
 Odin.Zelphes
Server: Odin
user: Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2013-03-12 15:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a nitpick, but you put Ascetic's Fury as "4-hit".

Glad there is a mnk guide out now.

Maybe there will be less frequent posts with same questions posted over and over!
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-03-12 15:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I was already PM'd about it and fixed it. Little sleep + copy/paste for formatting convenience = mistakes everywhere. :(

Half of my div ids (for navigation) were named the same thing for the longest time and I didn't even notice.
 Leviathan.Mdkuser
Server: Leviathan
user: monchat
By Leviathan.Mdkuser 2013-03-12 19:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinjo said: »

Pros of Verethragna:

★Significantly improved by Aftermath
★Aftermath also affects multi-attacks of the offhand

Cons of Verethragna:

Unlike other empyrean weapons, aftermath on verethragna can proc on at most one fist per attack round (the right hand fist). It cannot proc on additional hits.

You also make it sound like spharai has a much higher delay. Verethragna has 106 delay and spharai 112. Enough verethragna fanboyism, spharai >verethragna in almost any situations, except 300 tp aftermath zergs (in which case verethrgna is not far behind, and glanzfaust is better than either then). Like pchan said, your comments about the weapons are pretty HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Like, STR is bad with spharai but good for verethragna (wtf, its the converse).
 Shiva.Arana
Server: Shiva
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2013-03-12 19:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Mdkuser said: »
Like pchan said, your comments about the weapons are pretty HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
Are you not Pchan's mule?
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-03-12 19:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I have specifically said to use Spahrai in most situations a number of times. Stop whining because you don't know how to use a damn calculator.

I fixed the bit about aftermath. I haven't used Verethragna enough recently to know first-hand whether it actually did that, but logic said it should have (and I seemed to recall it doing do, maybe I was on another job). Guess not.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-03-12 19:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It's hard to do math when all you have is an abacus with just one row of beads
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-03-12 19:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Just dropping this here because MNK+Dagger skillchain potential was mentioned:

[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-03-12 19:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Not everybody is walking around with a Bard, but I specifically mentioned!!!!!!!!! that having a Bard closes the gap in delay. I said the opposite of what you are saying that I said about STR.

Wow! How strange!

You are arguing nobody but yourself!

PS: Spharai is 113.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2013-03-12 19:56:12
Link | Quote | Reply

*peeks in*
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-03-12 19:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

just france aly don't worry, everything's cool
[+]
By Otomis 2013-03-12 20:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

In case folks are confused.
Asuran Fists > Exenterator (Frag) > Shijin Spiral (Light)

Am I correct? Impressive to people stack stage WS to build damage. Does the use of AF which damage is not shown in the SS negate the skillchain damage? And do not get me wrong I truly do give the thumbs up for using staged skilchain. TP burning really irritates me.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-03-12 20:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually that skillchain was 5-step.

Pyrrhic Kleos
Shijin Spiral (> Fusion)
Evisceration (>Gravitation)
Exenterator (>Fragmentation)
Shijin Spiral (>Light)
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Diasetsu
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Darkdias
By Quetzalcoatl.Diasetsu 2013-03-12 21:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for putting so much effort in, as I never cared enough to make a Monk guide. Although I haven't played in over 6 months I still like to think I know a thing or two. Id have to actually boot up my old computer to get some guard+ data for you all, but I'll just throw out some info I remember.

Uncapped guard sucks... period. It may not help to have capped guard on level 120+ mobs, but on things like even dynamis enemies it does make a difference(also ADL as he is not high level). With high levels of guard, you are talking about 20%++ guard rate on EM an lower(or up to idk but like level 105 with merits and whatnot). This is in comparison to 5% floored guard rate if guard skill is uncapped. The addition of glanzfaust does break a cap if there is one.

While mentioning glanzfaust, I'd like to throw out there that since you keep the extra accuracy during Focus, even if you have Verethragna or Spharai, in low Acc situations you can still "Focus" then switch weapons and keep the huge accuracy boost. Sometimes i think Focus merits are applicable over counter merits. If you have Spharai Counter merits are a waste anyway, so why not just switch if you have the Tri-Force.
[+]
 Asura.Lokimaru
Server: Asura
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2013-03-12 21:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

This guide makes me wish I could fully unlock more than three merit weaponskills.
[+]
 Odin.Cyprias
Server: Odin
user: Cyprias
By Odin.Cyprias 2013-03-13 02:24:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Diasetsu said: »
Thanks for putting so much effort in, as I never cared enough to make a Monk guide.

This.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 363 364 365