First Page 2 3 ... 336 337 338 ... 363 364 365
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-03-29 15:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
You're never more than a 1 or a 0 away from any item being better than any other item. It's just when will they flip it.

Relics been bad for a while sooner or later the next thing makes them all best again, for a year, then they flip another 1/0 and mythics take over.

ex; relic procs now include all ws; 0 turned into a 1, literally everyones head explodes and the scramble for relics is afoot.

I guess, yeah. Though with 5/16 relics already being quite good as I noted above, for the remaining 11:

(a) I'd have serious doubts that we're getting meta-changing revisions that are suddenly gonna make people excited about:
- Mjollnir Claustrum (mage weapons)
- Guttler (unless they just radically change it to impact pets too)
- Yoichi (unless they overhaul bows across the board)
- Mandau (would have to be one HELL of a boost to overcome the far better dagger options)

(b) More likely, we're looking at whether some/all of these get bumped into "NOW I GOTTA HAVE IT" territory from the current "meh" status:
- Excalibur
- Ragnarok
- Bravura
- Gungnir
- Amano
- Spharai

The more likely scenario to me is that, even if relics do end up getting a significant boost, maybe that impacts... 3 of those? 4 if you're an optimist? In which case, OK, that might cause material prices to go up a bit. But IDK bout a 100M price hike on mats that are pretty easily supplied (and will become the focus of bots/RMT sellers right away to address demand).
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2021-04-01 03:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Are augmented Mpaca's gloves worth making to be used in an Empy H2h AM set?

And is the Mpaca head good for general WSing in?
By SimonSes 2021-04-01 04:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
- Mandau (would have to be one HELL of a boost to overcome the far better dagger options)

Change Mercy Stroke to 8fTP static instead of 5fTP and its BIS. I wouldnt call that "one Hell of a boost". They boosted H2H WSs way more than that.

They can easily make Mjollnir bis for WHM melee. With Nyame being out, many WHM will go for it.

Its as easy as simply boost fTP on WS. You dont need any bows overhaul. The only reason bows are behind is because they lack a good WS. If Namas would make 40k ws with fixed hate, its all Yoichi needs to be great. Not to mention possibilities for SAM for having good WS with fixed hate. Nyame path B has everything SAM needs for Namas (racc/ratt/WSD).

- Guttler (unless they just radically change it to impact pets too)

Again I dont know why you need any complicated changes. Just change Onslaught to 5 hits (to match its animation) with 2.0 transferred fTP and its competitive/bis.
(b) More likely, we're looking at whether some/all of these get bumped into "NOW I GOTTA HAVE IT" territory from the current "meh" status:
- Excalibur
- Ragnarok
- Bravura
- Gungnir
- Amano
- Spharai

All of them would become competitive with just WS boost.
By Nariont 2021-04-01 05:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Has SE ever changed hit amounts on a ws? Not saying they cant just curious
By eliroo 2021-04-01 09:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Mjollnir is already really good for Melee WHM. Even a minor buff would make it better than any other option.

Yoichi is also good in that it is unique and as we can see with odyssey it enables some interesting skillchains for ranged options.

Also Sakpata kind of removes the "meh" status on bravura and sort of turns into it deadweight.

Anyway like SimonSes,says... if they boost the WS to be potent then each and every relic could hold its place in the meta since that factor alone would make them a consideration.
By Foxfire 2021-04-01 09:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bows are also behind because they lack any hate control unlike anni/coronach or Magic option like gastra/trueflight (which iirc also has excellent hate mgmt)

Gandiva/jishnu's does great damage overall but the moment the ranger takes hate they're likely dead and that's the problem.

Either way, i see someone added sets to the community mnk guide, but they seem mostly pre-odyssey
Are there any pieces i should be taking into consideration for tp/ws?
Ignoring mpaca head's broken tp bonus.
By eliroo 2021-04-01 09:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If you look back a couple of pages you will find some discussion about how the other Mpaca pieces can work into a Hybrid, PDT or Counter set.

Mpaca legs are good for most WS and will only get better as you augment them.
By Foxfire 2021-04-01 09:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw the hybrid conversation, but it didn't seem worth it because of the meva deficit. Dunno, keeping it low on prio for now
By eliroo 2021-04-01 09:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It comes down to how much you care about squeezing DPS in each individual situation or if you are willing to make multiple variant TP sets.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-01 10:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Foxfire said: »
Bows are also behind because they lack any hate control unlike anni/coronach or Magic option like gastra/trueflight (which iirc also has excellent hate mgmt)

Gandiva/jishnu's does great damage overall but the moment the ranger takes hate they're likely dead and that's the problem.

I usually run with Dirge if hate is of concern, but even with that being applied, Jishnu's is still behind Marksmanship from what I could see. The AM3 spikes are nice, but there is no doubt the damage is behind on the ws end.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-01 10:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Just be aware that this is a pretty significant gamble in the hopes of investing now in order to save some gil on relic currency/plutons (and to a lesser extent, detritus that is used in all RMEA augments) in the event that relics get upgrades and prices on those upgrade items go up.

I did this back before MNK+2 neck had any augments and everyone called me silly (including you) for wanting such a poor-appearing item (which wasn't so bad at the time either). My gamble did pay off a little xD

FWIW, Plutons are literally worth next to nothing and fall off HTBF at a absurd rate compared to Beit, so it's not such a horrible investment. I have an R15 Spharai I made bakc when. Never use it now, but the deed is done
 Valefor.Godsblackarm
Server: Valefor
user: Serj
By Valefor.Godsblackarm 2021-04-01 10:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

So when's the new guide with incremental gear sets and updated info.

The guide is so outdated it's embarrassing and only seeing BiS gear on BG is not very helpful to most players. Plus most of the WS and even some of the skills have changed. How in the hell did they make boost worse.

Any volunteers? Austar? :^)
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2021-04-01 10:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

the only guide i'd ever make would be one that teaches people how to use tools to figure it out themselves.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-01 10:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
the only guide i'd ever make would be one that teaches people how to use tools to figure it out themselves.

Do it, please. I would be interested.
By eliroo 2021-04-01 10:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

TBH the tools aren't streamlined enough for most people, especially newer people to the game(Not that they aren't function and useful). Very few people want to go through excel documents or load up a program to figure out what they should put on.

The sim yourself mentality has always been one of the most toxic mentalities in older mmos when dealing with modern players.
[+]
 Valefor.Godsblackarm
By Valefor.Godsblackarm 2021-04-01 10:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Go right ahead then. The fact none of it is easy to find, such as why you talk about using footwork or the like, would be a great asset since everyone who has been playing this game nonstop for the past decade takes that information for granted when returning players don't know ***about any of the changes.

But you won't even do that, you're just being glib like always.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2021-04-01 10:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Very few people want to go through excel documents or load up a program to figure out what they should put on.
And I don't want to go through every situation to write a collection of gear just to get asked if something else can be used instead if they don't have "bis"

No, you can't play this game without "bis gear"
 Valefor.Godsblackarm
By Valefor.Godsblackarm 2021-04-01 10:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Now you're just being insincere and you know it. The point of incremental gear is a starting point to gear upwards and tackle harder content, not substituting gear for end-game. Almost every other job has a well designed guide that has 3 sets of gear yet here you are spouting off your crap.

Also doesn't invalidate skill changes/skill rotations that have changed overtime as well.
By Foxfire 2021-04-01 11:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

yea i gave up on the sam community guide because it was never good enough for people, someone would always go "look at ejiin's sets" or "look at ruaumoko's vids" so what's the damn point

then i stopped playing for a while and obviously i'm still figuring things out for myself

but anyway,
in terms of BiS, what i'm mostly holding out on is Nyame
since it's all-jobs and universally useful for TP OR WS -- job-depending -- it's hard to choose what to do with it in a way that benefits the most amount of things i use in a given situation
By eliroo 2021-04-01 11:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The main point of a guide is to provide upfront information and generalizations. Everyone will always ask for updates and comparisons, but those people aren't usually the target audiences for the guides. The target audience are those who just have enough time and effort to quickly read it and *** what gear they need.

I'm sure even now people are reading the guide and building spharai and looking to get 7 year old gear.

As someone who has built a functional SIM with a GUI to compare gearsets before, the tool will hardly get used even with it publicly provided and visible with usability instructions. It is beneficial to teach people how to use it though, because it increases the number of people who can actively participate in conversations without providing misinformation.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-01 11:26:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yall better not topic ban Austar for speaking facts.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-01 11:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
[Ya'll *** just want the answers given to you in a gearswap
Wtf did I just read D:
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-01 11:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't bring Sechs around the police, he will start tellin'
By eliroo 2021-04-01 12:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing Austar said is particularly wrong, but that mentality is really bad for creating an environment for newer or returning people.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-01 12:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I see both sides.

>Newer players don't know what to wear, need a place to gather a general idea on what they can use. A guide helps, includes BIS

>Long-time players constantly harass SS users every single time a new item comes out.

Is this new item BIS for anything?

Simon/Austar - its good for xyz when [insert conditions]

What about this piece? That piece? When attack capped? When paralyzed?

The item just came out, give us a second to check

JFC STOP CIRCLE JERKING AND TELL ME WHATS BIS

It just goes on for days and after a while it's dumb because the piece in question is .000001% better and nobody wants to think for themselves.
[+]
 Valefor.Godsblackarm
By Valefor.Godsblackarm 2021-04-01 12:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

When it comes to marginal upgrades you should math it out and do it yourself. A guide is just an outline on what situations you should be doing x/y/z and generally 1-3 different thresholds of gearing.

Again, I'm all for telling people how to research their own upgrades. The main guide is, however, extremely outdated and should touch on playstyles, aka footwork/weapons/hybrid sets/MA/delay reduction and the caps/when to use it, which is just information that helps people get up to date easier.

Honestly even leaving gear slots blank and writing in content tier makes sense since that's more or less the different thresholds anyway.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-01 12:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

You seem to be lost
[+]
 Valefor.Godsblackarm
By Valefor.Godsblackarm 2021-04-01 12:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Says the person who is either dumb, trolling, or intentionally obtuse every time they post.
First Page 2 3 ... 336 337 338 ... 363 364 365