iiPunch - Monk Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 244 245 246 ... 363 364 365
 Asura.Topace
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2019-04-14 08:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I parse well against a chango war yesterday in OU Zerg even outparse him in one fight. Asura is annoying with its lulmnk mentality.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-04-14 08:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not Asura, it's just the way the world goes.
By SimonSes 2019-04-14 08:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

There you go! That will convince people!

[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-14 09:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Haters are gonna say it took 8 seconds to pull that off so it doesn't matter.

Which reminds me, I should be prebuffing fights we with that ability. Should give Monk a decent parse lead if they time it properly.
By SimonSes 2019-04-14 09:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

90% of people dont know how boost works. Probably 90% of monks dont know that either :) what counts is damage in chat and good propaganda!
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-04-14 10:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Haters are gonna say it took 8 seconds to pull that off so it doesn't matter.

Which reminds me, I should be prebuffing fights we with that ability. Should give Monk a decent parse lead if they time it properly.

Remember you cant prebuff with it, when not engaged, unless you want to start with WS without engaging. You can't engage with boost active.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-14 10:11:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Engage, then properly time the boost, run in

...while the cor busts the 9th time and then whm afks so the tank runs in leroy style and your boost wears off
[+]
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2019-04-14 10:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Since you’re here. What is the proper way to use boost lol? I never bother with it since that delay is ugly.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2019-04-14 10:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

When you see Pain Sync being readied
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-04-14 10:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Topace said: »
Since you’re here. What is the proper way to use boost lol? I never bother with it since that delay is ugly.

If you have TP ready for WS, you can use boost before fight and start with WS, but only if you have Gearswap and can WS without engaging. Another use would be if you skillchaining with someone and you try to maximize the WS+SC damage, you can use boost before WS. Another thing would be fights like Kin or Pain Sync midboss, where you need to stop melee for a moment. You can use boost to stop auto-attacks and WS or wait for hit when you can fight again.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-14 12:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
I still hoping monk isn’t done. Make guarding worth a ***. Turn Dodge into battaua or something. Only damn combat skill I know that at 700 skill it still doesn’t do ***(or that’s what it feels like anyways)

Monk is the best DD in the game for making fights easier with melee DD due to the amount of subtle blow and sb II it gets. H2h acc cap at 99% permanently recently was a MASSIVE buff as well. And i mean massive.

The only problem with monk is that run and all other DDs are total ***when using it because theyll just spam feed TP anyway. You need a nin tank ideally, or a pld.
? My goal isn’t to increase DPS more so make abilities worth a ***. I can think of any Situation where I would use dodge. If they turned it into something akin to battatua. Then tactical guard and dodge might be worth a ***. And not taking up a slot.

When a mob is attacking you, press the dodge button. Or if youre lazy like me, put it on your kick attack swap because iirc the feet for kick attacks is what has dodge boost on it. Counterstance and counter is nice and all, but if youre tanking anything serious the point of it is less so to deal more damage and moreso to take less. The added dps is nice though (though id love it if counter gave you tp and counterstance didnt murder your defense)
By SimonSes 2019-04-14 13:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I bet none noticed how O_o is frog on my screenshot. It's so impressed by such big numbers!
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2019-04-14 18:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Imho MNK is a better DD than NIN after the 99% acc patch. Problem is MNK still suffers a lot from global bias. Most people won't recognise that MNK is in a decent position as a dps atm and will just say lolmnk

I'd still go Ninja because of the defensive buffs/survival.

S/E needs to un-*** counter stance for starters. It needs to bring back the HP+% on Relic Gear, and lower the recast on perfect counter to every 10 seconds or something.

Once you die your DPS gets ruined, buffs are lost, and you are stuck with less HP and a very irritating slow.

Popped COunter stance because I felt like blood porting. This happened while facing an apex bat.. not one counter lmfao.

I don't see the point of using it. At this stage of the game it shouldn't even have a defense penalty.

I really want MNK to shine, but s/e just doesn't get it.
 Lakshmi.Darkdoom
user: DarkdoomG
By Lakshmi.Darkdoom 2019-04-14 18:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
Imho MNK is a better DD than NIN after the 99% acc patch. Problem is MNK still suffers a lot from global bias. Most people won't recognise that MNK is in a decent position as a dps atm and will just say lolmnk

S/E needs to un-*** counter stance for starters. It needs to bring back the HP+% on Relic Gear, and lower the recast on perfect counter to every 10 seconds or something.

Once you die your DPS gets ruined, buffs are lost, and you are stuck with less HP and a very irritating slow.

Popped COunter stance because I felt like blood porting. This happened while facing an apex bat.. not one counter lmfao.

I don't see the point of using it. At this stage of the game it shouldn't even have a defense penalty.

Just... dont use counterstance? BiS tp gear has substantial -dt and meva. You should not be the first DD dying in any situation.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2019-04-14 18:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Darkdoom said: »
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »

Just... dont use counterstance? BiS tp gear has substantial -dt and meva. You should not be the first DD dying in any situation.

Obviously, I was stating how bad it is.

I'm saying whats the point of even having it? I can't think of a good reason to use it at all. Besides blood porting faster. The defense tools that MNK has is kind of disappointing.

WAR has Defender and Shield (It can be broken/very good at times. Dat block rate lol)
DRK has Dread Spikes, Drains, Stun, and Apocalypse
DRG Has Healing Breath, Leg Sweep, Restoring Breath, High/Soul, and Super Jump
SAM Has Seigen/Third Eye
NIN has Ninjutsu/Stances/Parry Boosts
DNC Has Sambas/Waltzs/Etc

MNK just has Dodge, Chakra, Counter Stance, and Perfect Counter.
Even their Max HP isn't all that high anymore. Shoulder Tackle wasn't even buffed along with other Utility WS.
By SimonSes 2019-04-14 18:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Counterstance is not THAT bad, but it's not something you can use in every situation. It should be used for example when mob doesnt hit hard, but have annoying add effects on hit. It also shouldn't be used without relic+3 feet. If you use it, you want to have that 80% cap, not even a 1% less. You also want to have 50% PDT when using it.

Something like this for example:
ItemSet 365230
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-14 18:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Any physically damaging tp move will rape your soul even in 50DT. Even normal mobs lol.

Try it in omen. Claw cyclone/Fang can do more than max hp in full dt.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-14 20:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm in agreement that conterstance is general a bad idea in a majority of scenarios. Especially since I have a Max counter set ( with capped spharai) I use on Monk, I now have no reason to ever use it. It's far too deadly to depend on, when you can just use counter gear + spharai for a significant counter build. The only time I use conterstance is if I'm fighting something where I EXPECT to die, so I might as well go down swinging.

I think counterstance needs a major overhaul, perhaps replace the defense penalty with guard or evasion, or add a slow penalty to melee strikes; anything but defense. And yes, if counters could somehow give tp back to the Monk, that would be hugely beneficial, especially as a tank. Mantra is too short of a duration as well. Monk needs it's abilities restructured to be more of hasso/seigan innin/yonin stances, so that it makes sense to use one over another.

There isn't a DT build that can stop you from getting completely destroyed with conterstance, if it's a strong physical move. If the monster is weak enough to not be able to kill you, then using counterstance isn't necessary anyways. Your best case scenario is to use it on tandem with chi blast when you're solo to completely shut down most TP accumulation from a monster. But at the cost of that defensive penalty, it's almost not worth it. You can use conterstance when a monster just used hundred fists, which you can probably prevail in that case. If you're being cure bombed by trusts you can get away with using it. It has uses, just not a practical ability to use in every scenario.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2019-04-14 21:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Replacing counterstance's defense penalty with an evasion penalty would fix it entirely/buff it.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-14 21:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Guard needs a change, for sure. Guard just is terrible. Proc rate is as bad as Aegis block rate lol.

It's hard to make counterstance work... counter is incredibly strong. too strong. Simply lowering evasion isn't sufficient. But where it currently sits it's unusable.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-14 21:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Which, by extension, makes Tactical Guard useless as well.
 Leviathan.Nitenichi
Server: Leviathan
user: camaroz
By Leviathan.Nitenichi 2019-04-16 18:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Popped counterstance so I could bloodport since warp ring was not up doing Imprimatur's for Ergon. No trusts,typical tp gear. Monk's always gettin a bad rap.
By Nariont 2019-04-16 18:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

its great in a basic counter/dt kit... til you get screwdriver'd for most of your HP, or jet streamed etc. Gotta agree with the above just have it drop your evasion massively instead of def
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-16 18:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If it only lowered evasion there would be zero reason to not fulltime it. and that would be crazy broken. not that the entirety of the game isn't broken right now, but yeah.
By Cronnus 2019-04-16 18:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree. Monk keeps up with all other DD already now. Full timing counterstance would send them through the roof. But theres plenty of completely worthless job abilities out there. Is this all hypothetical what everyone is discussing or did I miss a monk update coming? >_>
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2019-04-16 18:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Drop the -50% to 25. At least make so we don’t get one shotted by TP moves. Or better yet how about make monk the HP monster it was before...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-16 18:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If counterstance is switched to evasion loss then spharai counter bonus becomes 100% useless. It's only saving grace is it's reasonably high counter rate and return damage when R15. I have a spharai counter build that puts me at 77% without ever having to pop counterstance, and it's a monster. Rivals my Sam counter set. The sad thing is, samurai can counter better than monks can because they can hit a higher counter rate while capping DT with ZERO defense loss. They can also anticipate the attacks they don't counter via third eye... Negating damage completely. Kind of crazy Monk doesn't get that kind of utility

Giving monks a near 100% counter rate without spharai eliminates literally any feasible use of the weapon, since any damage you would have gained with the R15 augment is made up on verethragna white damage.

I don't think they go that route.

In any event, you can use counterstance on monsters like Apex eruca that have no strong TP moves. It's pretty fun chaining those for CP, you don't even need a real healer. Fun times those were
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2019-04-16 19:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
If counterstance is switched to evasion loss then spharai counter bonus becomes 100% useless. It's only saving grace is it's reasonably high counter rate and return damage when R15. I have a spharai counter build that puts me at 77% without ever having to pop counterstance, and it's a monster. Rivals my Sam counter set. The sad thing is, samurai can counter better than monks can because they can hit a higher counter rate while capping DT with ZERO defense loss. They can also anticipate the attacks they don't counter via third eye... Negating damage completely. Kind of crazy Monk doesn't get that kind of utility

Giving monks a near 100% counter rate without spharai eliminates literally any feasible use of the weapon, since any damage you would have gained with the R15 augment is made up on verethragna white damage.

I don't think they go that route.

In any event, you can use counterstance on monsters like Apex eruca that have no strong TP moves. It's pretty fun chaining those for CP, you don't even need a real healer. Fun times those were

Would be nice if they just included Hand to Hand with Hasso/Seigen.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-16 19:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Add that to the list of things that will only ever happen on nasomi.
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2019-04-16 19:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Since no one talks about grips anymore...

Much like RNG, add REMA grips that come with their associated H2H. Spharai makes Counterstance useful again? Verethragna buffs Impetus? Idk, more than likely wouldn't happen anyway.
First Page 2 3 ... 244 245 246 ... 363 364 365