Which Relic Should I Make?: A Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2013-02-20 03:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

i am sure someone can enlight me :x i dont play SAM myself and not sure if i know anyone really with relic bow. so sry for stupid question!

how do SAM's with amano and Yoichi work? (For stuff Like in Legion) Do they TP with GKT, run away and WS with bow? Or they TP with just bow? Or is it different from mob to mob? Since the talk was about "yochi makes you stay at save distance" lets me guess they TP with bow.. but why need the GKT relic for it if thats the case? Or they only run away to WS at sweet spot? someone please tell me how they do it just to understand lol :x
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-02-20 04:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »
i am sure someone can enlight me :x i dont play SAM myself and not sure if i know anyone really with relic bow. so sry for stupid question!

how do SAM's with amano and Yoichi work? (For stuff Like in Legion) Do they TP with GKT, run away and WS with bow? Or they TP with just bow? Or is it different from mob to mob? Since the talk was about "yochi makes you stay at save distance" lets me guess they TP with bow.. but why need the GKT relic for it if thats the case? Or they only run away to WS at sweet spot? someone please tell me how they do it just to understand lol :x

Probably the same as soboro/sidewinder SAM in 75 era and WS right away. Run away and WS with a bow just lower your DPS a lot and I don't see a point to do it(may as well use RNG if you want to do it)
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-02-20 04:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Smn can and does self darkness skill chain often. I kn9w two who do it with the staff. It may not be nrst relic but before people argue over it a plauer wo has it should post others have. Not just dumb people wjo post and never used a relic or dont have. Those people are unqialifird to eben give an opinion. Bte rag did suck until resolution came out.
By sprinkles84 2013-02-20 04:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Presidentobama said: »
Smn can and does self darkness skill chain often. I kn9w two who do it with the staff. It may not be nrst relic but before people argue over it a plauer wo has it should post others have. Not just dumb people wjo post and never used a relic or dont have. Those people are unqialifird to eben give an opinion. Bte rag did suck until resolution came out.

what?
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-02-20 04:31:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't have a claustrum, you are unqialifird to eben give an opinion.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-02-20 09:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

No one is arguing that SMN cannot solo skillchain with Claustrum (GoT skillchains with itself).

The question is how to do it regularly. SMN has no rapid TP generation capacity, so either

1.) You're subbing Samurai. Unlike WHM, which gains almost nothing from a mage subjob versus weaker content, SMN and BLM have significantly reduced capacity to support themselves and others (where applicable) without a RDM, WHM, or SCH support job. And you only get to do this once every 5 minutes, so you're not greatly increasing your damage output by doing so (although /SAM will be helping you otherwise).

2.) You're using Icarus Wings, which are limited by medicated status and it's not really SOP to consider medications like Icarus Wings over a long period of time.

or,

3.) You're meleeing in Voidwatch and no one else is using Weapon Skills, which I guess you're free to do so if you're that bored, but you're not making a meaningful melee contribution with Claustrum so I'm not sure how you're going to kill it.
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2013-02-20 09:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
i am sure someone can enlight me :x i dont play SAM myself and not sure if i know anyone really with relic bow. so sry for stupid question! how do SAM's with amano and Yoichi work? (For stuff Like in Legion) Do they TP with GKT, run away and WS with bow? Or they TP with just bow? Or is it different from mob to mob? Since the talk was about "yochi makes you stay at save distance" lets me guess they TP with bow.. but why need the GKT relic for it if thats the case? Or they only run away to WS at sweet spot? someone please tell me how they do it just to understand lol :x
Probably the same as soboro/sidewinder SAM in 75 era and WS right away. Run away and WS with a bow just lower your DPS a lot and I don't see a point to do it(may as well use RNG if you want to do it)

Atm they dont even need to tp they let the regain from embrava / cor rolls do the work depending on the pt they are in (as in I have seen a sam + a rng in same pt getting chaos hunters tacts misers in a rngd att pt.) with meditate and the occasional shot they get to 100 tp pretty fast without engaging.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-02-20 10:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

STOP DISCUSSING SERIOUS THINGS LIKE SAM, WE HAVE CLAUSTRUMS TO TALK ABOUT!
[+]
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
Server: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-02-20 10:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
STOP DISCUSSING SERIOUS THINGS LIKE SAM, WE HAVE CLAUSTRUMS TO TALK ABOUT!

[+]
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-02-20 10:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »

See even people rate you up because you can't spell. Me trying to type on a smart phone is not always easy. And I do have more emp's relics than you.

This is a clasic example why I am going to pass a law for more education for our young. So they can spell later in life.
 Siren.Mcclane
Server: Siren
user: mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2013-02-20 10:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

See even people rate you up because you can't spell. Me trying to type on a smart phone is not always easy. And I do have more emp's relics than you.

This is a clasic example why I am going to pass a law for more education for our young. So they can spell later in life.

[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-02-20 11:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone pointed out the formatting issue on the front page?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-02-20 11:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

sylow,

you should change nickname of spharai to "proprietors of pain" or something similar. or, if someone can think of a better play on pain, as the word is written right on the knuckles, that would be great.

no sweat if not, as I'm not going to be doing the analysis.
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-02-20 11:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

See even people rate you up because you can't spell. Me trying to type on a smart phone is not always easy.
They rate me because they understand I am making fun of how poorly you typed that and how ridiculous the logic of "you need a weapon to know if it is good" is.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-20 12:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

See even people rate you up because you can't spell. Me trying to type on a smart phone is not always easy.
They rate me because they understand I am making fun of how poorly you typed that and how ridiculous the logic of "you need a weapon to know if it is good" is.

I'm leaning toward bought account
 Odin.Registry
user: R3G1STRY
By Odin.Registry 2013-02-20 12:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

From my understanding (I haven't seen it done nor have I done it myself, but I am quite curious to see how it works out) you tp behind whatever you're fighting, that way you don't get hit with amnesia or other HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE tp move status effects that can hinder your DPS. You also probably wouldn't use Namas on the Narakas since they're strong against piercing.

I also would think it wouldn't really work with all Amano/Yoichi SAMs because the whole perk seems to be virtually hateless damage so you can stay behind the target and escape getting hit too hard.
 Bismarck.Keityan
user: Keichan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2013-02-20 13:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Typically, you would TP in your normal TP set but instead of a ranged item of Hagneia Stone, you'd replace it with Yoichinoyumi. Instead of using Shoha, you'd use Namas's Arrow.

The advantages vary from mob to mob. As other have said, the hate-less WS is one facet, but well timed abilities (you NEED berserk or angon to make it do those 3k-4.6k WS's) is what I believe what makes Namas "broken". Distance does play a part. But less so in a fidgety way where you're constantly moving in and out away from the mob. Most importantly, refer to this chart:
Code
Distance	 Bow	 Crossbow	 Gun	 Throwing
1'	 65%	 65%	 75%	 100%
3'	 70%	 75%	 85%	 97%
4.5'			 100%	 95.5%
5'	 78%	 87%	 100%	 95%
5.5'			 100%	 94.5%
6'		 100%		
7'		 100%		 93%
7.5'	 100%	 100%	 95%	 92.5%
8.5'	 100%	 100%		 91.5%
9.5'	 100%	 100%		 90.5%
10'	 100%	 100%	 90%	 90%
10.5'	 100%			
15'	 92%	 90%	 88%	 85%
20'	 89%	 86%	 86%	 80%
25'	 87%	 86%	 85%	 75%

(from FFxiclopedia). You want to be at least 5' from the mob. The maximum *melee* distance for each mob varies and I have been compiling the distances while doing my LS runs. For example, the Elasmoth from Legion An has a max melee distance range I have recorded is of 8.1 while the farthest away I have been from the Zilant is 7.4. Distance is a huge deal when your r.attack is not capped Once you're planted on that ideal distance where you can still melee, you spam namas from there.

As you get closer, you're looking at huge r.attack penalty leading to poor namas damage.

*Edited the melee distance to avoid confusion-- thanks for the heads up.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-02-20 13:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Misread post, disregard.
 Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2013-02-20 13:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Registry said: »

I also would think it wouldn't really work with all Amano/Yoichi SAMs because the whole perk seems to be virtually hateless damage so you can stay behind the target and escape getting hit too hard.
It would still work a good deal because the advantages of "being to avoid amnesia" works mostly for Ironclad and Botulus. The main reason why I dont' think it would work is because you need the DRK in the party for enhanced attack rolls and WAR for DA rolls.

The closest we have ever run with is DRK WAR SAM SAM SAM and it is still successful. However, I'd still prefer at least one other WAR for the tactical mighty strikes, and two SAM's is enough to keep warding circle and hamanoha full time during multiple gallus.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-02-20 13:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, I think I misread your post, derp on me.
 Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2013-02-20 13:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that, monsters with increased sizes have different sweet spots.

This perhaps is true, a citation would be nice, however no matter what, at the distances of 1-8, you "still" want to find the maximum distance to achieve maximum damage because there's no weapon that drops off from "being too far" unless it's gun at 7.5 distance. Helel would probably be a better person to ask in terms of gun.

If a mob gets "bigger", wouldn't you think that the sweet spot be a larger distance away, and not closer? Either way, you want to be standing at maximum melee range or you're going to be looking at penalties.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-02-20 13:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Keityan said: »

Typically, you would TP in your normal TP set but instead of a ranged item of Hagneia Stone, you'd replace it with Yoichinoyumi. Instead of using Shoha, you'd use Namas's Arrow.

The advantages vary from mob to mob. As other have said, the hate-less WS is one facet, but well timed abilities (you NEED berserk or angon to make it do those 3k-4.6k WS's) is what I believe what makes Namas "broken". Distance does play a part. But less so in a fidgety way where you're constantly moving in and out away from the mob. Most importantly, refer to this chart:
Code
Distance	 Bow	 Crossbow	 Gun	 Throwing
1'	 65%	 65%	 75%	 100%
3'	 70%	 75%	 85%	 97%
4.5'			 100%	 95.5%
5'	 78%	 87%	 100%	 95%
5.5'			 100%	 94.5%
6'		 100%		
7'		 100%		 93%
7.5'	 100%	 100%	 95%	 92.5%
8.5'	 100%	 100%		 91.5%
9.5'	 100%	 100%		 90.5%
10'	 100%	 100%	 90%	 90%
10.5'	 100%			
15'	 92%	 90%	 88%	 85%
20'	 89%	 86%	 86%	 80%
25'	 87%	 86%	 85%	 75%

(from FFxiclopedia). You want to be at least 5' from the mob. The maximum distance for each mob varies and I have been compiling the distances while doing my LS runs. For example, the Elasmoth from Legion An has a max melee distance range I have recorded is of 8.1 while the farthest away I have been from the Zilant is 7.4. Distance is a huge deal when your r.attack is not capped Once you're planted on that ideal distance where you can still melee, you spam namas from there.

As you get closer, you're looking at huge r.attack penalty leading to poor namas damage.

There is more to the max damage range than those numbers. different ranged weapon types have slightly different Strikes True ranges. Similar to how different shield types have different block rates and dmg blocked.
For instance, a light bow has a closer max range than a long bow. Yoichi, if I'm not mistaken, has a Strikes True range farther than that of a short/long bow. I don't have a Yoichi myself to test, so if someone here does have one, please verify what I was told.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-02-20 13:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Keityan said: »
Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that, monsters with increased sizes have different sweet spots.

This perhaps is true, a citation would be nice, however no matter what, at the distances of 1-8, you "still" want to find the maximum distance to achieve maximum damage because there's no weapon that drops off from "being too far" unless it's gun at 7.5 distance. Helel would probably be a better person to ask in terms of gun.

If a mob gets "bigger", wouldn't you think that the sweet spot be a larger distance away, and not closer? Either way, you want to be standing at maximum melee range or you're going to be looking at penalties.
Yeah, I misread your initial post and thought you were saying that you could get a further damage bonus by being farther than the default max range.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-02-20 15:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Few pages late, but staff junk.

Relic and Empyrean staves use Adhara hands, Nabu's for Plenitas.

Spirit Taker.

I just used 400 defense and 85 VIT/AGI on a weak mob, level correction only applies to mobs higher level.

99 Claustram DPS: 99.516
95 Claustrum DPS: 94.250
Plenitas DPS: 86.529
99 Empyrean just auto attacking with AM1: about 96.037
90 Empyrean just AM1: About 84.229

Shattersoul.

Claustrum 99: 141.724
Claustrum 95: 135.389
Plenitas: 128.464

The sets were just kinda tossed together, so might not be the best.
[+]
 Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2013-02-20 19:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Pending Edits, Amanomurakumo review.

We're all human and we can be wrong many times, but we're all after that one true answer of where we push our favorite jobs to. If there is something that you do not agree with, please don't hesitate to say so. You can also befriend me on guildwork so we can chat.

Edited: Feb21- Removed the "copy and paste" from a previous post for brevity.
Edited: Feb21- Added Murasamemaru FAQ that I wrote in SAM forums.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Klife
user: Klife
By Ragnarok.Klife 2013-02-21 05:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Waiting impatiently for someone to make Spharai one! havent seen anyone post anything about it here!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-02-21 05:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Pchan inc!
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2013-02-21 06:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I want some more Gungnir reviews. Last 2 made me damn near cry laughing
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2013-02-21 06:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Gungnir really that bad lol? OK i know its ***compared to Mythic, the Add effect sucks, ws and aftermath are ***.. but still better them Empy no ^^? I allways thought empy is the greatest LOL-weapon for DRG. Thats atleast what someone who likes DRG says in my Linkshell.
And if one isnt much into endgame events, likes DRG and no other DD jobs, wouldn't gungir be the best he could get? Or is a Occ att 2 times polearm better o.o?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-02-21 06:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You can pretty much replace the word "Gungnir" in this post with any polearm other than Ryunohige and the post still works.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12