Looking To See What Role Is A RDM Now?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Looking to see what role is a RDM now?
Looking to see what role is a RDM now?
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11
 Asura.Myrrh
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Myrrhic
By Asura.Myrrh 2013-04-07 15:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't have RDM in 2010! Way to try and lump people together!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-07 16:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Silvra said: »
RDM needs the better sword WS's (Vorpal Swift) More stuff like Temper for Acc/atk/eva/tripple atk Fencer...for the love of god Fencer Auto-Refresh Haste 2 Weaponskill Matk Overhaul really Overhaul on Enspells: maybe add mainhand dmg + skill into the equation like on Lunge

RDM is never going to get a space on the front line without native attack bonuses, A+ Greatsword skill, or being added to Ukon. RDM needs abilities and spells that make it unique... Plague, Amnesia, maybe an ability that doubles duration and makes Macc 100% for a single enfeeble with a reasonable cooldown.

Enspells and fencer aren't doing crap for RDM's role in a party, and its solo prowess needs little or nothing.
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2013-04-07 17:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd give up 50% of the useless ***on my job to have 20% of what RDM does.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-07 17:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Urteil said: »

I'd give up 50% of what RDM does to have a place in a party
 Odin.Sawtelle
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-04-07 17:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Phoenix.Urteil said: »

I'd give up 50% of what RDM does to have a place in a party
That's called switching jobs>.>
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2013-04-07 18:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM is never going to get a space on the front line without native attack bonuses, A+ Greatsword skill, or being added to Ukon. RDM needs abilities and spells that make it unique... Plague, Amnesia, maybe an ability that doubles duration and makes Macc 100% for a single enfeeble with a reasonable cooldown.

Enspells and fencer aren't doing crap for RDM's role in a party, and its solo prowess needs little or nothing.

Plague and amnesia aren't gonna fix the issue, neither is their gimp new 1 hour unless it gets an overhaul. RDM is boxed in even more with the addition of GEO's unresistable enfeebles while RDM is stuck with a 1 hour ability that can't even bypass immunities, can still partial resist and only lasts one spell...

...If they can't fix the mage side of RDM, the only real option is to buff the melee side. Enspell 2's were a joke from day 1 since they can't proc on more then the first hit of an attack round. While I understand that RDM was never intended to be a big DD, SE has to come up with a way to make RDM melee useful without big damage numbers.

P.S.: Exceptions to Accession are dumb, we have so many AoE buffs just let them all stack with it. AoE Temper would be enough to save RDM.

Edit: One other thing I'd like to see is that enfeebles potency gets changed to skill-based sort of like the cure update. That way WHMs and such have enough skill to proc with weak versions of Paralyze/Slow, but RDM versions would have a serious potency difference. If RDM is the enfeeble king might as well make it seem so.
[+]
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2013-04-17 22:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Silvra said: »
RDM needs the better sword WS's (Vorpal Swift) More stuff like Temper for Acc/atk/eva/tripple atk Fencer...for the love of god Fencer Auto-Refresh Haste 2 Weaponskill Matk Overhaul really Overhaul on Enspells: maybe add mainhand dmg + skill into the equation like on Lunge

Basically to fix our melee we need Bravery, scales the same as Temper capping at +20% Attack and +20 Accuracy, Faith, again, scales the same as Temper capping at +20% Damage Affinity and 20 Magic Accuracy. Then add RDM to some of the light DD sets like Toci, Mex, and the new set which have multiple jobs on multiple sets anyways, and change Enspells to be 1 Damage/10 Enhancing Magic, En-IIs to be 1 Damage/5 Enhancing Magic and proc on all attacks with your main hand(so people can still make use of their Sambas or whatever).

For magic they need to change Enfeebling potency to be based off of Enfeebling Magic skill instead of MND/INT as well as give RDM three new traits, a Magic Accuracy Trait, an Immuno-Break Trait and an Enfeebling Potency Trait. Give RDM some new Enfeebles that no other job gets & stacks with anything that has similar effects. Lastly, give RDM new merits, take out the old one, make them scrolls, keep them all unique spells so RDM is not robbed of them, as for the new merits, Idk what to make them, preferably 2~3 Melee focused Traits/Abilities and the same thing for Magic focused Traits/Abilities.

As for our terrible new SP, they need to simply change that back to the original idea, enhancing our Enhancing Magic, but make it much more potent. They were idiots when they changed it because basically everyone said they were on the right track, but they needed to enhance the spells more, not change it. So they simply need to change it back, but put it at a 3 Minute Duration and +50% Potency on all of our Enhancing Magic spells, after that if they are letting us merit it, let it add +10% Potency per merit. This is not a lot different than Soul Voice except we can cast more spells, but most spells are self buffing and its no better duration so spells like Haste would not be all to amazing, so balancing problems should not exist much.

Besides all of this, Healing is fine, Nuking will be fine post-update, and we have no real use of Divine or Dark which is fine with me, so it should address all of our problems.

The only other thing I really could ask for is they could improve RDM's Regen, see, one thing I hate about what they did with SCH was give it the amazing Regen they did. Regen is awesome for SCH, which is good, but RDM really needs it more in my opinion. Being on the front lines and being expected to heal at the same time highly hinders your ability to fight on the front lines well, where as if you had Regen, it would do light healing for you, allowing you to focus on the battle much better till you get hit with a high TP, then the RDM can turn their attention. Basically, Regen would solve the problem of always having to chose between casting and fighting, because it would do some of the healing for you over time so you do not need to focus on it as much. I understand it is SCH's domain, but it would be nice if RDM could get a little love in that department seeing as it would help a lot on the front lines I think.

These kind of changes I think would address all of RDM's problems.
 Fenrir.Caladbolg
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Caladbolg 2013-04-17 22:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel RDM is not as broken as people seem to think. The misconception needs to change more than the job needs to change. RDM is supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. RDM is an exceptional SOLO job, probably the best. RDM isn't used in endgame because endgame is zerg content.

That being said, RDM can still preform well in zerg content. Sub SCH, Dark Arts, Hailstorm, Ice Obi, magian Ice Staff, and chainspell bliz IVs. Also Dia III.

I'm absolutely loving RDM for reives. PDT set, spam aeolean edge. I get plenty of bayld in reives along side relic/empy heavy DDs.

Making Bravery, Faith, and Temper party buffs, and the proposed enhancing buffs and SP, would being RDM back to end game but turn it into another glorified BRD job (not necessarily a bad thing).

Melee and Enspell buffs wouldn't make RDM a front-line DD, and RDM should never be a front-line DD outside of EXP parties and random low-man content. However, I agree that RDM needs a few more melee gear options, like WHM which has a few job specific melee gear options. RDM already has one melee ability: Composure adds accuracy. Some melee jobs barely get any offensive melee abilities and also struggle at holding their own in end game content, fix them before fixing RDM melee.

At 75 RDM Enfeebs were wonderful for crazy high end content, gods, etc. You needed tons of skill to stick the debuffs but they made the fights much easier. Nothing in 99 FFXI needs to be debuffed like that. The problem isn't RDM, it's the lack of extremely overpowered content that requires hefty amounts of debuffing to even be able to attempt to fight it. Who knows, maybe Adoulin will change that.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-17 23:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM is very useful in Seekers areas. Anything that can help to support the party while keeping itself alive is a huge role.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-17 23:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
RDM is very useful in Seekers areas. Anything that can help to support the party while keeping itself alive is a huge role.

True, I haven't been resisted on any enfeeble I've cast and they're really useful again. However, enfeebling fodder doesn't make a job useful.
[+]
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2013-04-18 00:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Caladbolg said: »
Making Bravery, Faith, and Temper party buffs, and the proposed enhancing buffs and SP, would being RDM back to end game but turn it into another glorified BRD job (not necessarily a bad thing).

Melee and Enspell buffs wouldn't make RDM a front-line DD, and RDM should never be a front-line DD outside of EXP parties and random low-man content. However, I agree that RDM needs a few more melee gear options, like WHM which has a few job specific melee gear options. RDM already has one melee ability: Composure adds accuracy. Some melee jobs barely get any offensive melee abilities and also struggle at holding their own in end game content, fix them before fixing RDM melee.

At 75 RDM Enfeebs were wonderful for crazy high end content, gods, etc. You needed tons of skill to stick the debuffs but they made the fights much easier. Nothing in 99 FFXI needs to be debuffed like that. The problem isn't RDM, it's the lack of extremely overpowered content that requires hefty amounts of debuffing to even be able to attempt to fight it. Who knows, maybe Adoulin will change that.
1.I want Bravery, Faith, and Temper all to stay/be self buffs, not party buffs.

2.Other jobs need fixed too, I agree, my main change I want on RDM besides Bravery when it comes to the front lines is gear. Its stupid that a job like PUP gets put on something like Heka's, or that BST gets put on both Mekira and Toci, but RDM is only on a single piece of gear, as you said, RDM is supposed to be the "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" and as such, it should have gear that follows that idea. Instead of that we get very little gear on the melee side by compare to our magic side, which I feel is very unbalanced. That change alone could make RDM at least look better, right now the best TP sets on RDM look silly and stupid for any other job, I mean I would kill for Thaumas, Athos, or anything of the sort, our best Light DD gear we have gotten in a while was basically Brego and Kudzu, the rest of our gear is mostly those mage pieces like Rubeus Spats that are in a mage set, yet weirdly have these melee stats.

3.For that to work they would need to change how Enfeebling works so that RDM is much better at it than other jobs, which is why I put in those extra Traits for it, otherwise a WHM, BLM, or SCH, can still land them, and most of the time not to terribly on potency. Now the other thing on that is the Tier II enfeebles, they need to take them out of merits too, they are our most unique enfeebles. Its stupid that most of our unique spells are tied to merits, its not even that bad for BLM, AMs are not their most important spells that stand out, but for RDM... not so much.
 Fenrir.Caladbolg
By Fenrir.Caladbolg 2013-04-18 00:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with pretty much all of that. I feel like we had more melee gear options at 75 too. Assault Jerkin, Ogre set, Dusk, Chasuble set, Crimson, Cotehardie, some Aketon-type sets. Not always great, but they were options.

Look at RUN's gear selection at 75, it's really similar to RDMs, then look at the 99 selections, and it's not even close.

At 99 my melee is 4/5 Dux with brego. Needs alot of work, only started carrying melee gear with Adoulin, but without Dux, I wouldn't know what other easy to obtain gear to use.
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2013-04-18 01:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the best RDM TP set for most cases
ItemSet 260962

This, is what I really wish RDM was able to use
ItemSet 289522

RUN really annoyed me that it is on basically every piece of melee gear I have wanted for RDM since 75, while RDM has been left behind and abandoned in most cases when it comes to melee. The worst part of it all I think is that we used to be on all of the Chapeau sets too, not to mention we were on Scale Mail, and now we are left out of many of them.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-18 01:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Just put RDM on Phorcys, give them Great Swords and Resolution, and call it a day.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-04-18 01:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Just put RDM on Phorcys, give them Great Swords and Resolution, and call it a day.

YES! But in addition to adding them to phorcys they should only allow them to use Chaosbringer GS.

ItemSet 297328

Balance!
[+]
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2013-04-18 03:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
I love when serious posts are responded to my stupid posts.

Asking for the gear I do is not unrealistic, BLU is another Hybrid job just like RDM and sees much more front line use not only because of gear but its spells and traits it has access to, something that RDM would still not end up surpassing, so asking for the Light DD sets is not nearly the same as what you are talking about. BLU would still be its own job too, giving RDM more DD options is by no means killing BLU or toping DPS charts, its simply making the job actually more of a Jack-of-all-trades, where as now its excluded by a ton of gear that it needs to make its melee side not suck.
 Shiva.Tedril
Server: Shiva
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2013-04-29 21:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk where you guys get your ideas about Rdm... I I don't like whm, never have. Mostly its the dumb looking gear. I love rdm, and its gear is only eh. I am used as my ls's healer quite alot however, and replace whms on pretty much any mob that isnt gonna one hit the tank and we are lowmaning. I can heal a whole VW alliance by myself easily w/o mp death like a whm (given they don't suck). lolabyssea but I whm there on anything. And clearly rdm will never be used in lowman endgame like salvage 2 or NNI but thats bc it just doesnt fit the build.
 Shiva.Tedril
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2013-04-29 21:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Also: this for melee rdm I think... Given you will (hopefully) be soloing.

ItemSet 293931
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-05-11 12:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Tedril said: »
Also: this for melee rdm I think... Given you will (hopefully) be soloing.

ItemSet 293931
Seems more like a hybrid set for evasion, and I would really swap in Letalis Mantle and Asperity Necklace for a boost in accuracy if your hit rate's not capped
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-05-11 12:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

aspie necklace offers +0 acc

though it's not necessarily bad to swap in anyway
 Quetzalcoatl.Absolutezero
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Absolutezero 2013-05-24 10:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering if there is a place for RDM in Delve. I guess what I'm asking is as someone looking to get into Delve, would RDM be a viable way to go? And if so, what would that entail?
 Odin.Sawtelle
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-24 10:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes for the most part. It involves landing debuffs, and casting haste/refresh 2/cures. Maybe stun also.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-05-24 11:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Absolutezero said: »
.... I guess what I'm asking is as someone looking to get into Delve, would RDM be a viable way to go? And if so, what would that entail?

Viable? As a way to get groups? My alt is RDM. She is needed in her LS's runs but only one RDM is ever really needed whereas several WHMs and/or SCHs can be effectively used.

Delve actually has mobs that need debuffing.

Fully merited Enfeebling, MND, and INT. Enfeebling, Enhancing, Healing, and Nuking sets. /BLM and /SCH. Chat. Staff.

That's kinda the minimums.

What it doesn't entail is building a R/E/M weapon. Nor does SCH or WHM.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-05-24 11:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM is like PLD, it's very useful for some of the fights, but you'll only want the best RDM you have available. If you want to go RDM and be in-demand, better gear it up.

A shitty-average RDM doesn't really offer anything a good WHM or SCH can't do.
 Shiva.Paulu
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-05-24 11:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You could argue it does require building magian macc staves but meh. I know I didn't aside from the stun-staff.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-05-24 12:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

A shitty-average WHM is preferable to a shitty-average RDM but a shitty-average SCH is to be avoided.

Part of why my alt won't play her SCH 99, not up to snuff yet.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-05-24 12:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

A shitty-average WHM is preferable to a shitty-average RDM but a shitty-average SCH is to be avoided.

Part of why my alt won't play her SCH 99, not up to snuff yet.
sorry no, a naked sch is still very useful, not that that's particularly relevent in a rdm thread

if you want to halfass rdm, just keep in mind that a whm or sch who isn't halfassing can match or beat your m.acc.. especially if they have m.acc staves

to make yourself worthwhile, you need to actually make builds for ***, unlike whm or sch, which can perform to a useful standard essentially naked

(not saying you shouldnt gear whm or sch, but an ungeared whm or sch can justify their ally slot while an ungeared rdm can't)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-05-24 12:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

sorry no, a naked sch is still very useful,

Sorry no yourself. What people want SCH for requires some quite specific gear. See: A Scholar's Education. Pay attention to the Enhancing and stun sets. SCHs are not brought to endgame to function as gimp WHMs.

to make yourself worthwhile, you need to actually make builds for ***, ....

You don't read do you?

Fully merited Enfeebling, MND, and INT. Enfeebling, Enhancing, Healing, and Nuking sets. /BLM and /SCH. Chat. Staff.

That's kinda the minimums....
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-05-24 13:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry no yourself. What people want SCH for requires some quite specific gear. See: A Scholar's Education. Pay attention to the Enhancing and stun sets. SCHs are not brought to endgame to function as gimp WHMs.
up to your standards and useful have drastically different meanings

a sch with no gear is useful: it has phalanxga, perp haste, cures, regen5, and plenty of tools available to keep mp up.. it can fulfill it's role in many endgame situations better than any other job would while fully geared.. i'd have 0 problem healing a fracture run with 0 gear and it would have no notable impact on the result of the run

a rdm with no/***gear is not useful: it can't do anything that a good whm can't cover

Quote:
to make yourself worthwhile, you need to actually make builds for ***, ....

You don't read do you?

That's kinda the minimums....
i'm agreeing with you, you're just trying way too hard

and you don't NEED all of that, you NEED a light staff and a good enfeebling set

there's no reason you shouldn't WORK ON all of those sets and items on either SCH or RDM, that doesn't mean the job is worthless without them

i'd have 0 problem inviting a naked SCH to a plasma farm or NM fight, provided i knew they could follow directions and manage their mp half decently.. i would not invite an average-below average rdm, much less a naked one

i would not invite a naked sch to stun in legion

common sense ***, jesus
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11