The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 349 350 351 ... 445 446 447
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2018-12-11 23:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The 10% boost to CDC that actually applies to all hits was the big part. The extra DEX and DMG were just icing.

Tizona got a larger boost because Mythics, in general, needed a larger boost. Old Tizona was quite good, but it definitely sacrificed a good amount of DPS to gain a lot of utility. The new Tizona sacrifices very very little damage for that same utility.

Both weapons are extremely powerful. Personally, I augmented my Tizona before going for Almace. Almace is slightly better damage, but when I'm on BLU, it's because I want that mix of utility and damage more than raw damage. I have SAM/WAR/DRK for pure damage, but BLU is the king of utility DPS. So, Tizona fit my needs better.

Just weigh which is more important to you.
[+]
By SimonSes 2018-12-12 02:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If Almace is better DPS its not because of WS damage. Expiacion is a stronger WS, unless you solo and chain light with CDC, then maybe CDC might be stronger. Almace significantly boosts white damage and it might be the reason for higher dps in sheets (if it actually has higher dps in sheet).
By Takisan 2018-12-12 18:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
The 10% boost to CDC that actually applies to all hits was the big part. The extra DEX and DMG were just icing.

Tizona got a larger boost because Mythics, in general, needed a larger boost. Old Tizona was quite good, but it definitely sacrificed a good amount of DPS to gain a lot of utility. The new Tizona sacrifices very very little damage for that same utility.

Both weapons are extremely powerful. Personally, I augmented my Tizona before going for Almace. Almace is slightly better damage, but when I'm on BLU, it's because I want that mix of utility and damage more than raw damage. I have SAM/WAR/DRK for pure damage, but BLU is the king of utility DPS. So, Tizona fit my needs better.

Just weigh which is more important to you.

Thanks Oraen!
I didn't know that 10% applied to all hits. Figured it was the same as all other ws dmg % applying to first hit only.
 Phoenix.Hova
Server: Phoenix
user: Titanfoo
By Phoenix.Hova 2018-12-17 20:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on Zoro. Zoro/Almace? Path? help me out XD
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2018-12-17 20:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Since the augments only work in the mainhand and we already have extremely attractive mainhand options, our Dynamis weapon is garbage.

You should not get Zomorrodnegar. It just can't compete against other options that are comparable or even cheaper in price.
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-12-20 12:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Does dt augs and pdt native on herc stack to like cover 6 pdt? Askin about feet and other pieces.
 Shiva.Berzerk
Server: Shiva
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2018-12-20 12:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
Does dt augs and pdt native on herc stack to like cover 6 pdt? Askin about feet and other pieces.

Yes they stack
[+]
By Amunaptra 2018-12-21 02:50:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Just come back after a 2 year break and I'm a little lost.
Before I quit I finished my Tizona and was working on my Almace (about half-way)
These are my main gear sets:

ItemSet 344134

ItemSet 344133

But now with all the new items and new content i'm not sure what I should be focusing on.
Upgrade last stage of tizona? finish almace? get into omen or dynamis d?
are any of the af+3 needed? any other new item should be my priority? like the new dyanamis neck?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thx
By SimonSes 2018-12-21 05:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Amunaptra said: »
Just come back after a 2 year break and I'm a little lost.
Before I quit I finished my Tizona and was working on my Almace (about half-way)
These are my main gear sets:

ItemSet 344134

ItemSet 344133

But now with all the new items and new content i'm not sure what I should be focusing on.
Upgrade last stage of tizona? finish almace? get into omen or dynamis d?
are any of the af+3 needed? any other new item should be my priority? like the new dyanamis neck?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thx

1. Get Tizona to at least the stage after 10000 beitetsu
2. +1 your Adhemar
3. Finish Almace
4. Relic+3 legs are very good savage/expiacion piece and they are also very competitive piece for nuking (high mab with addition of high macc). Af+3 body for Savage/Expiacion too. Other relic +3 pieces are mainly for blue skill, physical spells or Requiescat pieces (generally not a priority). Af+3 head + legs are very good for magic acc set. Feet +3 are good for Chain Affinity, but that's also not a priority.
5. Dynamis neck +2 is bis for TP and afaik competitive for CDC (its also accuracy swap for cdc with 0 downsides). It's also obviously the best macc, blue skill piece too (making it absolutely perfect for stuff like Sudden Lunge where you need acc to land a spell and macc to land the effect)
By Boshi 2018-12-21 10:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

nq / hq mache earrings for cdc.
Try and get in an omen group, Ilabrat ring for cdc.

Blu +2 neck is great, a decently easy to farm piece for tp yo ucan get solo would be lissome neck (same type of mob farming as the t.greaves were)

If you're using tizona then an Expiacion set should be a priority also.

(all the jhakri+2 stuff is really underrated strong starting stuff for savage and expiacion)
By Boshi 2018-12-21 10:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Since the augments only work in the mainhand and we already have extremely attractive mainhand options, our Dynamis weapon is garbage.

You should not get Zomorrodnegar. It just can't compete against other options that are comparable or even cheaper in price.
I would use Zomo as a mage mode BA macro and macc swap only.

It might win for lower tier nukes like subduction? (maybe the amb club too)
By SimonSes 2018-12-22 02:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It cant win for any nukes now. Eletta ( which will be even better) have more/same magic damage with addition of mab. Zomo is still bis as macc offhand tho.
By SimonSes 2018-12-25 13:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is none mentioning using Thibron as offhand for R15 Tizona? Whenever accuracy is not an issue, this combo is by far superior to anything else for BLU (maybe outside of situation where you take advantage of skillchain with cdc).
 Asura.Limpbiz
Server: Asura
By Asura.Limpbiz 2018-12-25 14:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Any math guys know if Herc feet with wsd +7% 15acc/atk would be BiS for ws cdc/ expacion?
By Nariont 2018-12-25 14:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

probably cause its as limited as the other off-hand TP bonus magians where youd want a ton of support to bridge the accuracy gap. If you got enough to do so yeah, could see it being an amazing off-hand, just not sure how applicable it is unless you run with high buffs everywhere
By Taint 2018-12-25 14:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Why is none mentioning using Thibron as offhand for R15 Tizona? Whenever accuracy is not an issue, this combo is by far superior to anything else for BLU (maybe outside of situation where you take advantage of skillchain with cdc).

Because if i can give up 100 damage,269skill and 50dex then the content is so low it doesn’t matter.
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2018-12-25 14:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Limpbiz said: »
Any math guys know if Herc feet with wsd +7% 15acc/atk would be BiS for ws cdc/ expacion?

Definitely BiS for Expiacion and Savage, but do not use it for CdC.

TP Bonus offhands are wonderful, but you need a full slew of buffs, often with the respective 1hour, to make them viable for higher content. So, in those extremely limited circumstances, Thibron would be our best offhand. However, I consider the necessities around making it so powerful to be too limiting to consider. If enough people want it mentioned in the weapon section, I can do so, but until then, I think it's too niche to consider.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2018-12-27 02:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

They're extremely close.

15 DEX/4 Cdmg Herc Vest, Abnoba Kaftan, and HQ Adhemar Jacket Path B (when also using head/hands), are all so close in performance that I'd really just suggest grabbing whichever is most accessible for you.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-12-27 03:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering the idea of gearing up my BLU.
I'm at the phase where I'm trying to see what I'd need for a barebone BLU, checking what I already have and what I'd have to get to evaluate if I can unlazy myself enough to do it or not.

Other than Idle, DT, TP and WS sets, which basic sets would I need? Keep in mind I'm talking about barebone, basic, starter stuff. I need to start somewhere after all, no?
I was thinking I probably need the following sets:

Precast (FC gear etc)
Physical Spells (there's lot of subtle difference, but don't you gear for them similar to how you'd gear for a WS?)
Magical Spells 1 - a set focusing on Mab for spells that do damage
Magical Spells 2 - a set focusing on Macc for spells that have useful debuffs
Cure Potency - a set for healing spell, I seem to recall even if they're BLU magic they still receive the CurePot bonus?

Something else? Some physical spells are considered ranged damage so I need to stack stuff like racc/ratt for those?
More questions now:

1) Are the AF hands the only item boosting BLU learning chance? I currently have them at +1, could get them +2 pronto, would need some farming to get +3
2) Any other AF/Relic/Empy item that is incredibly useful for a barebone/basic/starting BLU?
3) Considering I only have Sequence MH, what should I OH? I have Tanmongayi+1, Deacon, Anahera that I can think of.
4) Are the "combination" of spells reported on the first post of this thread still up to date? Can I use them as reference to create some basic combinations and know which spells to hunt for? (if I ever decide to level BLU I'll get them all anyway, but rather start from the useful ones first!)

Thanks for your time, I'm extremely ignorant when it comes to BLU so I will greatly apreciate any correction to the wrong stuff I've probably written.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-12-27 04:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I have all Ambu sets +2. No Adhemar but got some nice aug on my Herc, plus most perf aug SR items.
I also have several Taeon pieces with Phalanx/Curepot/FC and Telchine with FC/ConserveMP/EnhancingDuration.
Actually does enhancing duration work on any of the BLU buff spells?

This springs a question about Blue Magic skill.
Of course it reduces the chance of being interrupted while casting and blah blah, but what other purposes does it serve?
Does it increase the potency of some buff spells? Like Occultation, Erratic Flutter etc? Any value I should be aiming for? Any spell that noticeably benefits from BLU skill?

For BLU magic spells it converts into macc (1:1?)
For BLU physical spells it... does what exactely? Physical acc?

Which are the main options for Magic Attack Bonus?
There's Jhakri, Amalric, anything else?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By SimonSes 2018-12-27 10:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kusaregedo said: »
enhancing duration doesn't work as it isn't enhancing magic but blue magic, although almaric head does increase battery charge refresh potency.

skill tiers for spells like occultation grant extra shadows, i don't know all the spells but magic barrier is another. accuracy, skill and macc help additional effects on physical spells like sudden lunge land.

amalric +1 top for mab, can use jhakri head or keep amalric for set bonuses. 2x nibiru cudgels if you're hardcore.

There is nothing hardcore in 2x Nibiru cugels. They are super easy to get. Also it's possible that new Eletta options will beat it with next update.

Amalric +1 are for sure best in hands and body slot for nuking. They are also probably overall the best for legs slot, but relic+3 are close and have much higher macc, in case you want to nuke something with more meva. They also have much higher VIT than Amalric, which is important for Tenebral Crush. Jhakri legs +2 also has good mab/macc mix and much higher INT than both relic+3 and Amalric+1 (especially important for Spectral Floe). Both Jharki and Relic+3 also has much higher STR than Amalric, which is important for Searing Tempest and lastly Relic+3 has higher AGI, which is important for Silent Storm.

Amalric +1 feet also has highest mab, but again lacking INT, STR, DEX and macc compared to Jhakri +2. Jhakri also has +7 Magic Burst making them the best for magic bursting.

For head Jhakri head +2 is better than Amalric, but af+3 is also an option having much higher VIT, AGI and macc (especially when nuking with Regal earring) and higher DEX, MND and CHR. Another option for magic bursting is Herculean with mab/macc, INT and Magic Burst. Also Pixie Hairpin +1 for Tenebral Crush.
By SimonSes 2018-12-27 17:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »

Because if i can give up 100 damage,269skill and 50dex then the content is so low it doesn’t matter.

I havent answered yesterday, because I was waiting to get my R15 Tizona. With right trait setup and some small adjustment to tp set (Adhemar legs +1 instead of Samnuha) it should be possible to achieve 1110+ accuracy with TP bonus offhand (in town without food). correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK it's almost the accuracy required for most end game content and also high enough for most zerg type content with 1h buffs.
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-27 17:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »

I havent answered yesterday, because I was waiting to get my R15 Tizona. With right trait setup and some small adjustment to tp set (Adhemar legs +1 instead of Samnuha) it should be possible to achieve 1110+ accuracy with TP bonus offhand (in town without food). correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK it's almost the accuracy required for most end game content and also high enough for most zerg type content with 1h buffs.

I do most endgame with 1080 acc, sometimes I lower it to 1020 if SV is up. The only exception is wave 3, which needs 1250ish.

Using tizona also means you dont lose as much with less MA for acc needs, and Expiacion scales so well....
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2018-12-27 19:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

EDIT: I'm getting some fluctuations in testing that I wasn't expecting, so please disregard previous statements on our magical spells. I'm going to need to look into this further.

As to the discussion of Thibron, it might be more viable than I previously expected.

ItemSet 364111

This set should put you right around 1100 offhand accuracy with a maxed Tizona and neck while using the Highest Tier DD spec in the OP. You could also fit in Molting Plumage over Tenebral Crush to hit DW4, drop Reiki for Kentarch +1, and perfectly hit DW cap while also gaining a little bit of accuracy.

My big concern comes down to accuracy in the WS itself, especially as we primarily stack STR, but it's certainly doable. I'll build one within the next few days and see how it performs in content.
By SimonSes 2018-12-28 01:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Accuracy on WS isn't an issue at all. Your main hand with Tizona has plenty of accuracy and fTP on first hit of WS is on avg way over 10+, then there is 2nd hit with main hand too and big chance for double and triple attack from AM3, still with main hand and with high accuracy. The offhand hit and possible multihit on offhand are not even important. My small test on Apex Frog/Jagil put my avg Expiacion at 40165 (my WS set is good, but not perfect and my neck is only rank 9 so missing 16 str/dex). This combo is a beast and tbh I was intentionally waiting to talk about it before I got it myself :) I created that idea in my WS sheet, confirmed it in BLU spreadsheet, done some testing before I got Tizona and I believed in this project. As a theorycrafter im getting huge pleasure when in practice everything working exactly as expected from math done several months earlier :)
[+]
By SimonSes 2018-12-30 15:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried TP bonus offhand in Dynamis D Jeuno today. Only Wave 1 and 2. Chaos/sam, Honor and 3x minuet. No Geo. I had chain of 57k Expiacions on 5 mobs in a row. Average was around 50k on fodder wave 1 and 42k on wave 2 (I probably wasnt attack capped with geo on wave 2). On NMs it was between 20 and 37k. All WS beside activating AM3 was done as soon as I hit 1000TP+ All that without changing my TP set, so I had base 969 accuracy on offhand before buffs/food. Parsed 91.99% accuracy (we had some bad pulls, so few times I was without songs, especially on wave 2 when we partially wiped). So far I found TP bonus offhand perfectly viable and actually OP with R15 Tizona, but I guess you can jump on elite horse and say wave 1 and 2 farm is irrelevant and doesn't matter (even tho Im sure I could still parse near cap or cap accuracy on wave 3 with set posted above).
By Taint 2018-12-30 16:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

well damn time to start farming! Thanks
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 349 350 351 ... 445 446 447