Glavoid: Gorge/Disgorge Info?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » NMs » Glavoid: Gorge/Disgorge info?
Glavoid: Gorge/Disgorge info?
First Page 2 3 4
By Dugvayne 2012-01-23 14:00:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I have killed Glavoid about 10 times so far with low-man setups (THF, WHM, RDM trio) and i died on all but 3 fights. I just want to know as much about the nature of Glavoid's abilities as i can before I waste any more KI popsets.

The ONLY problems i have been having through these fights are Gorge/Disgorge one-shotting me. I understand that these two abilities are earth-based, and having as much earth resistance as possible (barstonra, earth carol II, etc) will supposedly render these abilities survivable - specifically earth carol II which is said to make these abilities harmless (0 dmg reports).

So here's what happened today. tried duoing with a whm after reading some testimonials. We were well-prepared and the fight went very well until the inevitable disgorge insta-kill. i only accidentally healed it once, maybe for 500 max, it only used gorge once, absorbing 500hp from me and a little more from the whm. the first time it used disgorge, it did about 1,400 dmg to both the whm and i. the way i understand it, disgorge is like 1000 needles in that you need more bodies to split the dmg with, so we were both standing in front of glavoid. for the record, again, i am thf, have all stat/hp abyssites, used earth wyrm (earth+100), ebon hoof (superior HP) and RR atmas, along with barstonra and shell V. I had over 3300 HP. the second disgorge is used did 4300 dmg to me and 4500 to the whm.

i understand the best advice on these abilities is to keep them stunned, i just want to understand how the dmg is determined. a friend is telling me the dmg seems to be in multiples of 3000, perhaps doing 3000 split the first time, then 6000 split, then 9000, up to 12000. it's possible the whm stunned the 2nd disgorge and i didn't notice, then its third was split between us for 4500~ each, but i can't square this with my experience from the previous fights where i was healing it for a ton and ate 2 or 3 disgorges (not split, all me) before the one that killed me.

i'm just discouraged now because i stacked HP and earth resistance but none of disgorge's dmg seemed to be mitigated.. so how is it that people are saying earth carol is a necessity if it's just earth resistance, the same as barstonra and the earth atma? i've had good fights where i'm never in any danger and bad fights that kill me from the start. at this point it looks like it's just luck. Am i missing anything or is stun that critical?

thanks in advance for any helpful insight
 Fenrir.Uzugami
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: SSJAV
By Fenrir.Uzugami 2012-01-23 14:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, It's an Earth-based physical attack iirc. So maybe add some PDT? Or something. Atleast I think it is since, Ochain PLD never died to it.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2012-01-23 14:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Disgorge is obviously the only one that needs to be stunned, gorge shouldnt pose a threat nor should any nukes be stunned really... just disgorge.

I wouldnt fret over it too much ***happens ive died before to disgorge a decent whm should be able to stall it till unweak. I once went mnk/blm accidently for a glavoid he ended up doing disgorge 3 times that fight and I managed to stun all 3 with gimpy sj skill. Then other fights he wont use it at all, from experience though try not to heal him at all times he has done disgorge when ive healed him for 1-2 punches max it only did 3000ish disgorge, another time where I healed him for 7000smite ish he did exactly the same damage disgorge back which was odd. Im sure its just random either way its good not to heal it obviously.

To think this thread will go on 4+ more pages, and ppl just repeat this same info or troll/argue among each other lol.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2012-01-23 14:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Its a magic tp move dont think ive noticed counterstance mnk taking anymore dmg than a nin, PDT wouldnt help nor would the ochain.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2012-01-23 14:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Have everyone together when you fight so disgorge dmg is dispersed among the party/alliance. Have the mages bring echo drops though cuz they will get silenced. I've duo'd glav back at 90 and I was x2 boxing. Never had a problem. Shouldn't be harder at 99.
 Carbuncle.Wulfshadow
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Wulfshadow 2012-01-23 14:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

basically either stun it or kill it before it kills you

doing anything to mitigate the damage while impeding your ability to killage faster (IE paladin in abyssea or using gimp atmas) is counter-productive to your cause of shortening an already drawn out fight.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-01-23 14:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Stun Disgorge, collect drops. Don't overcomplicate it, resist crap just slows you down.
[+]
 Valefor.Gespenst
Server: Valefor
user: Gespenst
By Valefor.Gespenst 2012-01-23 14:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I had similar problems when making the dagger for an LS mate. We eventually just decided to have a few people to take over tanking once the first tank inevitably died. Not the most effective strategy of course but we couldn't really think of anything else at the time. We also used as much earth resistance as we could find it and it still one-shoted us. So like Uzugami said maybe you should try PDT gear instead for it. If it is physical damage then that should make a very noticeable difference in the amount of damage you take.
 Asura.Arkanethered
Server: Asura
By Asura.Arkanethered 2012-01-23 14:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

PDT
 Asura.Clairxi
Server: Asura
user: elisexi
By Asura.Clairxi 2012-01-23 14:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arkanethered said: »
PDT

Pretty sure its MDT.

I use to duo this NM as dnc/nin & whm/blm, back @ level 90. The only way we were able to survive Gorge & Disgorge was to just stun it as much as possible. I had all the + abyssites & HP atmas, and still ended up dying more then I wanted to. I did try testing the whole 1000 needles theory and I don't believe it to be true. So I just suggest keeping the whm out of range. There is a rock to the north of where he spawns that you can kite around if your whm believe they are capable of doing so.

Sadly I wish there was another way to survive it, but unless you have MNK hp its rather hard to survive. I wish you luck tho on all your Glavoids!
 Fenrir.Demomo
user: Skyline
By Fenrir.Demomo 2012-01-23 14:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

MDT, shadow ring 0's it on occasion.
 Ragnarok.Xenophire
Server: Ragnarok
user: Xenophire
By Ragnarok.Xenophire 2012-01-23 14:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Could hump it and then run into it when it readies Disgorge. If you're paying attention and you're quick enough, it's a pretty dependable method.

Or, could just Stun it. Remember, Glavoid uses Disgorge on himself. So, adjust your chat filters accordingly.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-01-23 14:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Given that Earth Carol II used to make you immune to disgorge, it's probably -MDT.

Even so, just stun the bloody move. Even if it goes off, so what? Fight it weakened. Not like it can kill you outside of disgorge anyways.

If you don't feel like doing that, just keep Solace up and have the whm stand there, spamming cure5 on himself. You can hold practically every NM in abyssea that way for a very long time.
 Fenrir.Curty
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-01-23 14:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It's actually breath damage which makes it hard to gear for. Easiest description of it is earth breath damage based on hp healed. Just stick with what night said and stun it lol.
 Bismarck.Themuffingirl
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Themuffingirl 2012-01-23 15:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I duoed all of my shells with my BF NIN + my THF + my dual boxed WHM mule, which is my preferred setup for pretty much everything involved in Empy farming.

Let NIN tank it, keep Haste + Migawari up, run in on THF to SA/TA for TH procs then run back out of range, tanked on THF for a few if he decided to Disgorge the second Migawari wears off and I happened to not be on the right character to stun. It is very easy to stun if you're paying attention so I don't see why a main WHM shouldn't be able to stun all of them, I never saw him use it back to back when stun timer was down, only if I jumped the gun and stunned the wrong TP move. Like everyone else says, just use full DD atmas to kill it faster, RR/GH/apoc or w/e your flavor is. Time your WS's after a TP move once he starts to melee again or right as he starts casting so there's no risk of curing him.

He's just a *** sometimes, stun is the easiest way to get through it. Migawari works great when he's not being a *** but if you really want to play it safe because your WHM can't stun worth a damn just turn and don't feed TP till Migawari timer is back up. NIN can also Mijin Gakure to unweaken when it gets rough, if he hasn't been hit with that stupid JA reset move already or has a revitalizer. Good luck!
 Fenrir.Kogah
user: Kogah
By Fenrir.Kogah 2012-01-23 15:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Just stun disgorge, keep bar/shell up and atma for DD. DO NOT HEAL IT not healing it is just as important as stunning disgorge. Only ws during casting or blood weapon if you are worried about it.
 Fenrir.Didgist
user: Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2012-01-23 15:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadow Ring.

Stun.

A Glavoid with 0 absorbed HP can Disgorge a single target for 9000 damage.

RDM is your best bet for brew. CS Nuke if it pops physical shield.
 Fenrir.Kogah
By Fenrir.Kogah 2012-01-23 15:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasnt saying to not heal it because of disgorge damage if you are stunning it that is pointless. People over heal the thing it takes forever to kill then they get stressed over it taking so long and guess what fail to stun and die.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2012-01-23 15:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You can just run straight forward inside Glavoid when he disgorges and it's completely avoided.
I don't know if this has changed in the past 12 months, but it's worked for me.
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-23 15:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I tanked 150 shells of glavoid on mnk and was only one shot by disgorge once.

So........ just kill it. Stun if you can, but it really shouldn't kill anyone with high hp if your healers aren't HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Fenrir.Yuriki
user: Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2012-01-23 15:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Leoheart said: »
You can just run straight forward inside Glavoid when he disgorges and it's completely avoided.
I don't know if this has changed in the past 12 months, but it's worked for me.

Huh, never heard of that/tried it. I'll have to try it next time I fight him (which hopefully is never).

OP, as a DNC I rarely miss a stun on him. The Stun spell is even better. This is one of those moves that you just need to stun or else there is a chance of dying. No other (reliable) way around it.
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-01-23 15:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say that, if it's possible, to just add a backup tank. Whenever I've fought it, we almost always had 2 (mnk mnk or mnk nin) engaged, or at least a backup, safely away, voking it as much as possible. If something bad happened, usually one of the tanks (if both engaged) survived. (Oh, also, we went with barstonra, earth carols, etc; but no special gear.)

Still, that didn't even happen that much, either. It seems like you're fighting the HQ version or something.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2012-01-23 15:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Can just keep phalanx or phalanx 2 up at all times. disgorge is the last thing i ever worried about fighting glav
[+]
 Fenrir.Kogah
By Fenrir.Kogah 2012-01-23 15:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol as Didgist said not healing it will not stop a nasty disgorge and using a mdt set instead of just stunning is stupid. Fast kill no death with stun or Slow kill (no deaths according to you) gearing/probably atmaing for it as well. Ill take my low man setup with one stun and live which is what the op was asking about anyways.
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-23 15:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Or do what Dova said and take basically no damage.
First Page 2 3 4