Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Looking for shield advice
Looking for shield advice
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-10-25 08:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Atm I'm levelling PLD, it's 58 and I'm looking at what shields to pick up.

I'm thinking:
Iron Ram Shield at 60. (10k cost)
Terror Shield at 69. (45k cost)
Picking up Seigneur Shield for any magic heavy mobs at 77. (Free! Yay!)
Dagdas Shield to replace my Terror Shield at 90. (From the looks of it, I have several hours of insanity for that >_>)
Finally, Majorelle Shield for the occasions I'll /NIN at 94.

Are there any super awesome options I've missed (aside from Aegis/Ochain). I don't plan on being PLD main, but I plan on being reasonably well geared that I'm not just a waste of a PT slot.

Also, I've never done Voidwatch, but I hear PLD is practically required for it? Is it something worth getting into?

I only really play with 2~3 friends now, most of my LS has either quit or moved to a completely different play schedule - Is it something I can do with ~6 chars?
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-10-25 09:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The way you list your shields, I assume you're not burning it to 95?
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-10-25 09:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Pld is pretty necessary for the higher end VW I would think. Similarly, you need a lot of ppl for the high end VW, but you can do the low-mid VW with 6 ppl no problem.
 Lakshmi.Niico
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kido
By Lakshmi.Niico 2011-10-25 09:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Koenig instead of terror until you get Seigneur or better. The defense on shields is directly translated to -pdt when blocking (I forget the exact %, think its something like 1.4 or w/e). Anyway, good luck.

P.S. inb4 10 page rant from all the elitest h8rs rambling about how you have to have ochain/aegis to play pld blablablablabla.... get over yourselves.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-10-25 10:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
The way you list your shields, I assume you're not burning it to 95?

I'm not planning on burning, though I won't turn down a few levels when my LS is FC spamming for NM pops. My only real problem is that my playtime is a bit scattered during the week, I can play for ~2-3 hours in a morning, then from 6-7 at night and finding a PT can be a bit of a pain. My friends have nothing they're wanting to EXP or they have something more entertaining/pressing (my brother's busy doing his Ochain atm, so he/they've been doing that for a few hours a night).

Lakshmi.Niico said: »
Koenig instead of terror until you get Seigneur or better. The defense on shields is directly translated to -pdt when blocking (I forget the exact %, think its something like 1.4 or w/e). Anyway, good luck.

I vaguely remember something about that, though it's been a long time since I've looked up anything to do with Shields (I actually just got back from a ~6'ish month break). I remember HP had something to do with Enmity loss (I believe it was Enmity loss anyway), so I figured it was a toss up between HP+20/DEF +3 - Also, I thought the -10% PDT would be nice on the offchance I decided to do campaign, I remember PLD was pretty awesome in there.

Bismarck.Altar said: »
Pld is pretty necessary for the higher end VW I would think. Similarly, you need a lot of ppl for the high end VW, but you can do the low-mid VW with 6 ppl no problem.

Awesome, thanks!
 Lakshmi.Awsome
user: Awsome
By Lakshmi.Awsome 2011-10-25 18:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-10-25 19:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't Gleaming Shield be better than Koenig shield? Granted Gleaming Shield only has DEF:31, it's 9 more DEF than Koenig Shield and it has a higher block rate.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-10-25 20:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Gleaming and Koenig are both kite shields(size 3). There shouldn't be any difference in block rate between the two.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-10-25 21:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Gleaming Shield

Quote:
Lakshmi.Aeyela
This has a higher block rate than Koenig. Myself and many other PLD's who have been testing this have noticed an increase in Block rate of almost 30%, compared to Koenig.

Still testing it further, but it makes this better than Koenig by a long stretch if this is a hidden / permanent effect. Blocks more damage and blocks more often = win win.

Gleaming Shield (wiki info)

Quote:
This blocks an additional 4.5% damage over Koenig Shield
(due to the higher DEF)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-10-26 00:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »
Gleaming Shield

Quote:
Lakshmi.Aeyela
This has a higher block rate than Koenig. Myself and many other PLD's who have been testing this have noticed an increase in Block rate of almost 30%, compared to Koenig.

Still testing it further, but it makes this better than Koenig by a long stretch if this is a hidden / permanent effect. Blocks more damage and blocks more often = win win.

Gleaming Shield (wiki info)

Quote:
This blocks an additional 4.5% damage over Koenig Shield
(due to the higher DEF)

I said block rate, not damage reduction. I'm aware that gleaming has higher dmg reduction per block. And I would agree that, defensively, it's a better shield than Koenig. Enmity+ being a separate matter.

As for that block rate rumor, it's exactly that. A rumor. I see a mention of testing, with no links, references, or actual test data displayed.

Assuming Koenig(or size 3 shields in general cap block rate at 60% or so, fairly widely believed I think.) Then a gleaming shield would have a 90% block rate when capped.

That's ridiculous. The thing's not an Ochain. Now, mind you, capping block rate on any decent lvl mob is not an easy thing. But even if we started at 40% or 50% block rate, after that 30% you'd be approximately matching or beating Aegis block rate at 70% or 80%.

I just don't see SE making a simple synergy/crafted shield that can compete with Aegis' physical dmg reduction. Hell, the thing would actually have higher per block dmg reduction than Ochain too.

I don't have a gleaming shield handy atm. And there's none on the AH, but should one pop up in the near future I'll give this a good test with a decent sample size.
 Lakshmi.Rearden
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2011-10-26 00:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously you should use a Sipar
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-10-26 02:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rearden said: »
Obviously you should use a Sipar
Ha! Funny you should mention that XD I started levelling PLD before Abyssea came out and got loads of bits for it off my HNMLS at the time, Sipar being one of them =D Gogo Shield skill ups!

As for the Gleaming shield debate, (assuming it's true) it sounds like a great shield - I'll gladly pick one up when I hit 80 and post what I find from it =)

Out of curiosity, how much -PDT is 1DEF? I would've assumed something like 0.1~0.2% or something similar, but I've never gone out of my way to find out with it not being much use to me until now.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-10-26 02:23:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shield Size+(DEF/2) = Reduction. So .5% per point effectively. Also, Sipar was nerfed forever ago.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-10-26 09:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said: »
Shield Size+(DEF/2) = Reduction. So .5% per point effectively. Also, Sipar was nerfed forever ago.

Holy christ >_> That seems like a lot of PDT from DEF on shields.. Does that count towards the PDT cap? Or is it separate?

Also, did they lower the block rate of Sipar at some point? ; ;
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-10-26 09:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

They did.

I only learned the fact Sipar was nerfed a few days ago, but it explains why I was getting more parry procs than anything else as I attempted to skillup shield skill with it..... :(
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-10-26 09:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis/Ochain have the highest DEF rating. Buckler type shields which have the higher block rate also have the lowest natural reduction value, and the lower bracket of DEF.

Koenig is a Kite shield with a base of 50% reduction, 22DEF, so 22/2 = 11. 50+11 is roughly 61% Reduction on a block. It's not additive with PDT.

DMG*Shield*PDT(-Phalanx etc) = final damage.

They nerfed Sipar quite a ways back, it's just a weak shield you shouldn't ever consider now.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-10-26 09:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

>< That sucks, oh well.. Looks like it'll have to be Me and some Mandies in Abyssea then =O

EDIT: Ahh, so it's Shield block damage reduction, for some reason I was thinking it was straight PDT- /derp
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-10-26 14:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Testing!
First, a koenig test so we have a control to compare the gleaming shield data to.

Test conditions:
404 shield skill
95 PLD/DNC
EM Fear Dearg

Koenig Shield
Data
Summary:
Total non-crit hits 3130
Blocked 1372
non-blocked 1758
Block rate 43.8%

Then Gleaming shield.

Gleaming shield
Data
Summary:
Total non-crit hits 3216
Blocked 1453
non-blocked 1763
Block rate 45.1%

So, a 1.3% block rate difference under identical test conditions. I've seen larger differences in separate tests for the same shield. I'd write such a small gap off as variance, and say they have the same block rate.

So yeah. It's better than koenig. But by virtue of high def, not block rate. It's just a normal size 3 shield with high def.
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-10-26 16:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Martel
Thanks for the testing, but you should have bolded "They have the same block rate", not the 1.3% difference bit for all the ppl who are gonna come through and skim :/
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-10-26 16:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

you know.. that's a good point, lol. /edit
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-10-31 14:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump, haven't played PLD in ages and I'm not planning on making an Ochain/Aegis too soon, so for now just confirming lowly shield superiority: Dagda and Majorielle are the only two worth considering, yes? I don't think I've missed any, but double checking to make sure.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-10-31 14:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The only alternatives I can think of for practical situations would be Argos and Bloom. Granted, my pld isn't really used, I just watch plds but this is what I can think of.

Argos for resist or pure magic casting mobs but if you plan on taking much physical damage I'd just go with one of the two you mentioned.

Bloom makes a semi-decent shield for high block rate if tp gain rate for aoe burning is a higher priority than damage taken.