Unicorn.Jewkitten
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2009-04-24 09:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

<.< >.>
What grinds my gears XD

When people use "it's just a game" to justify all manner of mediocrity and shady actions.

A person doesn't listen to directions in an event and gets the entire alliance wiped, "dude chill! it's just a game."

A BRD comes to pt with half his gear and NO instruments, "w/e it's just a game".

Someone "accidentally" ninjalots an valuable item, "Sorry about that, but it's just a game lolol."

A ls mate camps a NM against another ls mate, "cry my a river! it's just a game!".

A SAM who uses a linkshell to get his fragment to complete his relic GK then fights with the leadership and leaves the shell, walking away from the 30 other ppl in the "pathetic shell" that he did NOT clash with, basically telling everyone to *** off while he and his wife walk away with the fragment and ls popsets. Who cares! "it's just a game!"

And the worst of them all...

The legion of ppl who tell others to "Get a life" and "it's just a game" when people are indignant when they are *** over or their time is wasted.

Wrong doing is wrong doing.

Being a douchebag is not ok cause we are in a virtual world.

Player warnings are a form of social accountability and I highly encourage it.

There is always two sides to a story but i would rather hear them both then let ppl get away with murderer and say nothing cause it's "not my problem" anymore.

How you treat ppl in a game and IRL is all connected.

A shady *** in a game is not suddenly a loving saint IRL.

So please stop the mantra of "it's just a game" and realize even this game is just another form and expression of Life.

Real people are moving these fake pixels.

Real time is being spent.

Real friendships formed.

Real joy is created when we accomplish something amazing by working together.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-24 09:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Wrong thread.
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-04-24 09:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

/clap
[+]
 Unicorn.Excesspain
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-04-24 09:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I lol everytime I see your name in Whitegate.
[+]
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2009-04-24 09:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.livejournal.com/
[+]
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
Server: Ramuh
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-04-24 09:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Wrong thread.

what did you drag me in to ... /ma "Warp" <me>
[+]
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2009-04-24 09:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

No, i made a new thread to address this specific topic;)
[+]
 Asura.Endelig
Server: Asura
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-24 09:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Stopped reading when you said it grinds your gears.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Aravol
Server: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-04-24 09:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

No matter where you are there will always be *** everywhere. Wether it is playing online or going to the grocerystore.
But using the expressions "its just a game" to justify there behavior is unacceptable in my book.
True this phrase has meaning when people take SOME situations out of hand. But making mistakes or accidently getting ur pty killed no matter what u are fighting- Yeah it is just a game.
But when people screw u over and use it to hell with them, because when u do it and say that to them its always a different story.
Hypocrits suck!
I agree with you for the most part. There is just no way to avoid seflish *** anywhere.
[+]
 Hades.Jacinda
Server: Hades
user: Jacinda
By Hades.Jacinda 2009-04-24 09:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well said. While we are in a virtual world, respect of others should be used regardless. Of course, you'll get the people who say you are whining (QQ'ng, I believe is the expression) but you make a very valid point.

However, the reality of things is that as long as this is a game where humans are involved, this is something that won't go away anytime soon. Just realize that for every jackass you come across, you'll eventually run into someone who has the same respect for others as you do, and you'll appreciate them even more.

Karma runs full circle; it will catch up to them eventually.
[+]
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2009-04-24 09:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ppl who play this game so high and drunk they are a danger to others.

What do you guys think about that?

(i'm all for weed and drinking, but i would'nt come to events blitzed out of my mind;)
[+]
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-04-24 09:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Real time is being spent, yeah. But you have to, have to, have to agree that a good half of the players left forget that it really is a game. >_> Yes, it is not an excuse to be gimp, drag other people down, or be the bane of a server. (We all know who they are). Wiping an alliance is not an excuse to say "lolit'sagamelosernerdfuck".

But it is just a game. Spending 16 hours a day on it, not looking for a job, having nothing better to do than "look down" at people with jobs, families, friends and outside lives, that REFUSE to neglect those people for a game. Bitching that someone missed a Synamis/Limbus/HNM pop because they had something to do irl. People who won't take off from work for an event and get ***for it from people who forget. THOSE people need to be reminded "It's just a *** game." and no matter how much you tell them it, it will not change that they have become addicted to a g-a-m-e.

"It's a game" is not an excuse to be thrown around lightly, because yes. People do invest time. But it is justified to throw it at someone who has invested life.
[+]
 Kujata.Ninesunz
Server: Kujata
user: ninesunz
By Kujata.Ninesunz 2009-04-24 09:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

dude chill out, its just a game.
[+]
 Unicorn.Excesspain
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-04-24 09:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Jewkitten said:
Ppl who play this game so high and drunk they are a danger to others.

What do you guys think about that?

(i'm all for weed and drinking, but i would'nt come to events blitzed out of my mind;)

Some of the people I play with are actually better players when they are high/drunk.
[+]
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2009-04-24 09:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I have found some really amazing ppl in this game^^

I have a ls leader that passes relic armor, novios and all manner of drops that he is fully entitled to and earned so his mates can get stuff and utilize it for the good of the shell. I would'nt have half the stuff I do if he did'nt pass things for me and others^^

And afew good souls who tirelessly and consistently help others with a smile and a /cheer.

These ppl inspire me to help others myself and to... sometimes... place myself 2nd hehehehe.
[+]
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2009-04-24 09:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I admit there is a schism and often not so silent resentment between the fulltime FFXI hardcore and the more casual ppl with a "life". lol

I admit i am guilty of giving more casual players a hard time ; ;

but it kinda sucks when a hardcore person works hard and gets a novio then suddenly has a life and is never on hehe

or when a super casual person whines about not getting ***when they don't put in the work

my ls does not have that prob though, new members and casual players have been cleaning up in dynamis and ZNM lol

but we have found spreading the wealth makes this game alot more fun than "the usual suspects" getting 99% of things so i don't mind one bit^^
[+]
 Odin.Gaea
Server: Odin
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-04-24 09:42:05
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I see a lot of whiny gimp douches that say "You have no life" just because someone has a Maat's Cap regardless of the fact it only takes about a hundred fifty days of playtime to get one. It's like any form of accomplishment in FFXI = "no life" and it's a bit pathetic and gets old after 7 years.
 Bahamut.Ragnell
Server: Bahamut
user:
By Bahamut.Ragnell 2009-04-24 09:57:27

Maats cap doesnt take that much work to get, grind jobs to 66 and get one, owning a shitton of relics would be more relistic to the "no life" statement
 Sylph.Dubberrucky
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Dubberrucky 2009-04-24 09:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:
Real time is being spent, yeah. But you have to, have to, have to agree that a good half of the players left forget that it really is a game. >_> Yes, it is not an excuse to be gimp, drag other people down, or be the bane of a server. (We all know who they are). Wiping an alliance is not an excuse to say "lolit'sagamelosernerdfuck".

But it is just a game. Spending 16 hours a day on it, not looking for a job, having nothing better to do than "look down" at people with jobs, families, friends and outside lives, that REFUSE to neglect those people for a game. Bitching that someone missed a Synamis/Limbus/HNM pop because they had something to do irl. People who won't take off from work for an event and get ***for it from people who forget. THOSE people need to be reminded "It's just a *** game." and no matter how much you tell them it, it will not change that they have become addicted to a g-a-m-e.

"It's a game" is not an excuse to be thrown around lightly, because yes. People do invest time. But it is justified to throw it at someone who has invested life.

I completely agree with that comment I just wanted to add that there is anouther good time to say "It's just a game" is when someone is apoligizing nonstop and obviously feels guilty for causing a death or some other form of lost time. Its just anouther way of calming someone down who messed up and feels like dog crap about it.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-04-24 10:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Omg it's just a game

User submitted image
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-24 10:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnell said:
Maats cap doesnt take that much work to get, grind jobs to 66 and get one, owning a shitton of relics would be more relistic to the "no life" statement

Not really, relic can be all IGE'd as long as you have a dynamis LS ready to get you rare/ex items needed. Wait even these can be bought. Enter with any random LS, offer a couple of million, rare/ex GET. And when not IGE'd, all you need is a very successful endgame LS making a lot of business with everything they can. (being leader or sack helps).

Sure you can pay for powerleveling also, but it's way easier to just buy gils. (and no I'm not selling all relic owner are gils buyers :d).
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-24 10:35:41

While I agree with the OP's comments to an extent in that FFXI is more than a game to a degree in which there is a very real sense of connection with other people which can reflect upon one's social responsibilities. The fact remains we are human beings interacting with one another, where real time, emotion, and responsibility carry over despite being played out through a somewhat superficial medium.

Online socializing unfortunately has obliterated our social skills out in the real world, and because of the anonymous identity we hold online, our sense of decency and personal responsibility has been thrown out the window, giving everyone an opportunity to be whatever they feel like. Unfortunately 99% of the time this choice people make is to be a douchebag to others and getting away with it for the simple fact that they're behind a computer screen and feel they hold no liability for their actions.

Who you are online is not who you are in real life despite your best intentions of keeping a true reflection of yourself through your choice of words and actions. You will find the words we say and the choices we make because we are on a computer are quite different than if we were in person making the same set of choices within real life circumstances.

I have little to no respect to those who use online interactivity as their excuse to display their arrogance and false-superiority and would alienate, ridicule, or otherwise abuse or condescend others and act above everyone else who in essence are quite an equal. We all play the game, and we all pay the same fee and sit down in front of a screen to play. Nobody is above one another because of their level, skill, or shiny leet gear as much as people want to use that as an excuse.

However, half of me disagrees in that there is an overall superficial purpose in playing this (what is indeed a) game. We play because we want to have fun and advance ourselves in this fictional reality and world we call Vana'Diel. The bonus is that it is online and we get to interact and do the same enjoyable things with random strangers and friends we make along the way. For that reason I find it funny for anyone to let themselves let what should be a fun and enjoyable video game get to them personally. If things take a turn for the worse for whatever reason, I find it best to log out.

Keep in mind though while Q_Qing over someone else's douchebaggery can be dismissed as sad, stupid and/or pathetic, the same can be said for those who would resort to being an *** for the above stated reasons.

There is a thin line between what is considered ridiculous and unnecessary as far as displaying emotion for other's given actions and what is considered a legitimate display of emotional retaliation. I suppose the best way to sum up all this is a quote someone once said that was along the lines of (in a 6 man party): "Yeah, you pay $12.95 because this is your game, but in reality it's our game and we all paid $64.75 to deal with you when we shouldn't have to."

Edit: I apologize for the sloppiness due to my current hangover, but I wanted to get my 2 cents in there on this subject and you have every right to quote me with tl;dr lol.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-04-24 10:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

^ bingo. Gonna rate that tidbit of fact down too?
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-04-24 10:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Jewkitten said:

my ls does not have that prob though, new members and casual players have been cleaning up in dynamis and ZNM lol

but we have found spreading the wealth makes this game alot more fun than "the usual suspects" getting 99% of things so i don't mind one bit^^

I'm like that.. I share my wealth... but too bad the lack of there of, alot of other ppl don't share our same enthusiasm b/c this game has a different enemy... besides Gilsellers.. GREED!!!
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Einhejar
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Einhejar
By Midgardsormr.Einhejar 2009-04-24 10:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

"It's Just a Game!"

Best excuse for being a gimp evar.
[+]
 Diabolos.Aphy
Server: Diabolos
user:
By Diabolos.Aphy 2009-04-24 11:30:18

You know im probably gonna be trash talked, but seriously it is just a freakin game. Theres this little button on ur machine where all u have to do is push it and all ur problems/drama/headaches go away. Its really amazing.

As for SE, all they have to do is pull the plug and the game dissapears!

Granted, you do make really good friends but unless you have some form of talking outside of the game, you wont continue to talk. I know this from experience, all your "friends" do go away when you transfer servers or quit for a little while, you think they still talk to you? Everyone on your friends list? Most of them don't even know you are gone, let alone turn their backs on you because you joined this linkshell instead of that one.

To this day because you were in that linkshell, even tho its been disbanded for years, your "friends" still hate you.

You tell urself its "just a game" because in the end it is. If your crying because your party sucks or you tossed your ridill, its time to take a breather from the game and re-adjust. Some people are not going to take the game as seriously as you do and will interfere with your game but at least by you playin how you want, and find people you enjoy playing with, and thats what makes the game fun.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-04-24 11:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I still talk to my friends that have left the server. >.>
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-24 11:45:39

After drinking lots of water and having some breakfast I have remedied my hangover. So I will put my previous post in a short and sweet version:

Yeah it's just a game, but using it as an excuse to be a jerk or otherwise alienate others is total *** and is unacceptable. Have fun with friends, and if drama erupts for whatever reason, remember you can always save yourself alot of grief and just log out and do something else. There's more to life than FFXI.
 Diabolos.Aphy
Server: Diabolos
user:
By Diabolos.Aphy 2009-04-24 11:45:52

Not as much as u did when they were there. Rarely do people talk to you, maybe a message once in a blue moon if your lucky.
 Cerberus.Oric
Server: Cerberus
user: Oric
By Cerberus.Oric 2009-04-24 11:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Aphy said:
You know im probably gonna be trash talked, but seriously it is just a freakin game. Theres this little button on ur machine where all u have to do is push it and all ur problems/drama/headaches go away. Its really amazing.

As for SE, all they have to do is pull the plug and the game dissapears!

Granted, you do make really good friends but unless you have some form of talking outside of the game, you wont continue to talk. I know this from experience, all your "friends" do go away when you transfer servers or quit for a little while, you think they still talk to you? Everyone on your friends list? Most of them don't even know you are gone, let alone turn their backs on you because you joined this linkshell instead of that one.

To this day because you were in that linkshell, even tho its been disbanded for years, your "friends" still hate you.

You tell urself its "just a game" because in the end it is. If your crying because your party sucks or you tossed your ridill, its time to take a breather from the game and re-adjust. Some people are not going to take the game as seriously as you do and will interfere with your game but at least by you playin how you want, and find people you enjoy playing with, and thats what makes the game fun.

This, ftw.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4